Rob's Saga Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I can't baby. If I do I know for sure that you will never take me back."

"Why didn't you think of that way back when you decided to bail out on me?"

"I wasn't thinking Rob. I was just thinking of the fun I could have. I didn't wake up until I found out what DJ had planned for me. I'm sorry Rob. I messed up big time, but I will make it up to you. Please baby, please let me come home."

"Why Audrey? Just so I can spend my time wondering when you would get bored with me and go partying with Anna again?"

"I don't even talk to Anna anymore. She knew what was likely to happen to me and she never warned me. She was a fucking Judas goat."

"I'm sorry Audrey, but I just can't see it happening. Bye."

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Kari got a call from one of her friends who told her that two of the Diablos who had gone to jail and who had gotten a year each were out on early release and I started carrying my Beretta.. About three weeks after getting the call Kari and I were at the mall and I saw one of them. He saw me at the same time and he saw me open my coat and reach for the Beretta in the shoulder holster. He turned and ran in the other direction so I guess he got the message that I had passed that day in the prison visiting room,

It was a week after that that disaster struck.

I've gone back over it in my head a dozen times and the only way I can see that it could have been prevented would have been if I had just ignored DJ when he called me a wimp and turned and left the room to let him and Audrey leave.

It was a Monday night and I was in the upstairs bathroom changing a burned out light bulb when I saw three guys come over the back fence. As they moved to the house I noticed that one of them had a bad limp. I hurried to my bedroom and got the Beretta and moved quietly down the stairs. The stairs ended on a landing that led into the living room on the right and the dining room on the left. Kari and the twins were on the couch where they had been watching TV. The three men were facing them and apparently had not heard me coming down the stairs. As I reached the bottom of the stairs I heard DJ saying:

"......three of you whores making money for me, but first I'm going to settle up with the fuck face who lives here. Where is he?"

"Right behind you sperm breath."

He spun around and I saw that he has a gun in his hand. I already had mine up and I put three rounds in the center of his chest. As they drove him backwards he threw his arms out wide and his gun went off. The two men with him put their arms up and cried, "Don't shoot, don't shoot." I heard Bev and Barb screaming. It took a second or two to register that they were screaming "mommy, mommy." I took a quick look and I saw Kari slumped on the couch with blood running down the front of her. I hollered "call 911" but both girls were hysterical. I kept the gun on the two men and hurried over and slapped Bev and when she shook it off I told her to call 911.

I walked over to DJ and kicked his gun away. He looked up at me and gasped:

"I'm hurt bad. Call an ambulance man; for God's sake get me some help."

I leaned down and whispered in his ear, "I told you if I ever saw you again I'd kill you. No ambulance for you cocksucker. Lay there and die."

I told the two guys to le down on the floor on their backs and spread their arms and legs like they were making Angels in the snow.

"If you move I will kill you. Raise your head, twitch, any movement at all and I will shoot you dead. I swear to God I will. I'm sorely tempted to do it anyway."

"Don't man, please don't. We was only supposed to help him get his bitches back. Wasn't supposed to be no shootin. We don't want no part of this shit man."

While holding the gun on them I got Kari on her back and ripped open her blouse. I grabbed a throw pillow and put it over the bullet hole in her chest and pushed down to try and stop the bleeding. Her eyes fluttered open and she managed to lift her arm and her hand grabbed my wrist.

"My girls" she said weakly, "Take care of my girls. Promise me Rob; take care of my babies."

"I promise."

Her grip weakened and then with a little cry she was gone. Bev and Barb were crying and Barb looked at me and asked, "Momma?"

All I could do was shake my head no and that set off more wailing.

After all of the flashing red and blue lights were gone and the girls and I were alone I tried to calm them down, but how do you do that to two girls who have just seen their mother shot and then die in front of them? All I could do was put my arms around them and hug them as they cried into my shoulders. After a while I led them to my bedroom and the three of got on the king size bed and with Barb on my right and Bev on my left and one arm around each of them I held them while they cried themselves to sleep.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

The next three days were busy with interviews with detectives and assistant district attorneys and making arrangements for Kari's funeral. There were only a dozen or so in attendance and one of them, a hard looking redhead, came up to me and introduced herself as Matty, shook my hand and told me that she was sorry for my loss.

"You were good for her. She was really happy for the first time in the eight years that I knew her. She was hoping to marry you if you ever divorced Audrey. It was the first time I ever heard her talk about marriage."

"You know Audrey?"

"She ran with us for a while until we clued her in on what DJ had planned for her."

"Why did you clue her in?"

"It was obvious to the rest of us that she didn't belong there. She was getting a taste of wild for the first time in her life and it was turning her head. She wouldn't have lasted a week on the street and we knew it so we told her what she was getting herself into in time for her to get out."

"I heard she was pulling trains with the guys in your club."

"I don't know who told you that shit, but she never gave it up for any of the guys even though nearly all of them tried. Not even DJ although he did brag about what he was going to do with her when he got her broke in. Anyway, I kept Kari up to date on what the Diablos were planning and if you want to give me your number I'll call you if anything about you comes up."

I gave her my number and she left. It was a sad day for the twins and they were not yet cried out so I had my hands full trying to comfort them. Since that first night we had all been sleeping in my bed, but I was going to have to put and end to that soon. I didn't expect anything to happen until we got a ways away from their mother's death, but given their track record in the past it was likely that one day in the future I was going to be a target again.

At breakfast the day after Kari's funeral both girls were sitting at the table with their eyes downcast. I assumed that they were grieving so I didn't say anything. About halfway through breakfast Bev set her fork down and said:

"When do we have to leave?"

"Leave? Why are you leaving?"

"Mom's gone. None of her other boyfriends wanted us around even when she was there and now she's gone."

"Yes she is, but I'm not. The last thing your mom said to me was "promise me that you will take care of my girls" and I promised her that I would. You are my girls now and you aren't leaving unless you want to."

"You mean it?" Barb cried, "We can stay?"

"As long as you want."

They both jumped up and came over and hugged me and there was more crying only that time it wasn't caused by sadness.

The next two nights they slept with me and one morning I woke up with Barb's leg thrown over mine and her left hand on my thigh about three inches away from home plate. I started getting stiff and I knew that it was time to send them back to their own rooms. It was also time to step back and look at what I had promised Kari and where it was going to lead. There were no two ways about it. I was going to need protection from the twins and to brutally honest with myself they were getting very close to needing protection from me.

But what to do?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Almost as I had the thought a possibility occurred. The fact that I even remotely considered it shows how desperate I was. Audrey called.

"Are you ready yet?"

"Am I ready for what?"

"Are you ready to let me back into your life?"

"Why do you keep bothering me Audrey?"

"Because I love you Rob. I've told you and told you that and why you won't believe me I'll never understand."

"It should be very easy for you to understand Audrey. Just think back to that day in the living room when you stood up and said, "God. Now we can get this over with." Remember that Audrey? Remember your next words? I believe they were "I'm leaving you." Remember that?"

"I screwed up Rob. I admitted that I screwed up. I also said that I would take a lie detector test on the cheating and the money. Give me a chance Rob. Let me prove to you that I love you and want to be with you."

"A chance? Just how bad do you want that chance?"

"I'll do anything Rob, anything at all."

"I doubt that Audrey, but I guess we will just have to see."

"You'll do it? You'll give me a chance?"

"We need to talk Audrey and not on the phone. Meet me at Augie's tomorrow night at six and we will talk."

Audrey was there waiting for me in one of the rear booths when I got to Augie's Bar and Grille. One look at her and I remembered why I had gone after her in the first place. She really was a very sexy looking and very good looking woman. I sat down across from her and the waitress was there almost immediately and I ordered drinks. When she had taken our order and gone I went right to it.

"You hurt me Audrey. What you did cut me to the quick. What your reason was for doing it doesn't mean shit to me. What matters to me is what you did to me. You were only thinking of yourself and you didn't give a rat's ass what it would do to me. You just didn't care and I can't forget that. I don't trust you Audrey and that is the reason that I have never considered taking you back. I don't trust you not to break it off in me again. You can promise me all of your love and devotion for the rest of your life, but you already did that once, remember? When I slid that ring onto your finger? Promise all you want Audrey, but I will always be watching and waiting for you to screw me again.

"The problem is that I am between a rock and a hard place. Letting you back into my life just might be the lesser of two evils. The fact that I'm even considering it shows just how bad things are."

I went on to explain the situation with Kari's daughters.

"I promised her that I would take care of them and I will, but I need to protect myself from them. The only way to do that is to have a woman in my life and bedroom. Given how bold the twins have been in the past I don't think I have the luxury of taking the time to date and woo a woman. I need something to happen right now."

"Count me in Rob."

"You haven't heard the whole deal yet Audrey. You can move back into the house and back into my bedroom, but all we will be doing is putting on a show for the girls. I doubt that there will be any sex for a while if ever. I don't know if I can bring myself to touch you."

"It will happen Rob. I love you and I know that deep inside you still care for me. I'll bring it out Rob."

"There is more for you to consider. Are you ready to try and handle two grown girls? Two girls who are going to resent you for taking what they hoped would be theirs? Two girls who are not going to be happy with an adult female filling their recently departed mother's slot in the house?"

"I can handle it Rob. I can and will do anything I have to do to get you back."

"You have a long hard road ahead of you Audrey and the one thing that you need to know going in is that if you and the girls can't get along you will be the one leaving, not them. I promised Kari I would take care of them and I will. I don't know that I will ever get to the point where I trust you again, but if you want the shot I'll give it to you."

"I want it Rob and I promise you that you will never be sorry."

"I guess we will find out. When do you want to move back in?"

"Now. I'll start moving my things as soon as we leave here."

"No Audrey. I have to talk with Bev and Barb first. Nothing they will say will change anything, but I do owe them advanced notice. You can move back in tomorrow."

Tears were running down her cheeks as she said, "Thank you Rob, thank you."

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Driving home I wondered if it would work. God knew that I still had strong feelings for Audrey. There was a fine line between love and hate and on any given day I could be found on one side of that line or the other. Before Kari moved into my bedroom I'd wake up missing Audrey and wishing that she was there in the bed beside me and then I would remember just why she wasn't there and I'd cross over to the other side of the line. Even after Kari became my full time bed buddy I'd think of Audrey during the day at work and wonder where she was and what she was doing and then I'd remember what she'd done and be back on the bad side of the line.

Would it work? I had no idea, but I hoped that it would, at least long enough for the girls to find steady boyfriends. They dated a lot, but neither one of them had come up with a special guy.

When I walked into the house I heard Bev on the phone. "I don't know? I'll have to ask my dad." That stopped me dead in my tracks. It was the first time I had heard either of them refer to me as "dad" and it suddenly occurred to me just how much trust Kari had in me when she made me promise to take care of her girls. It was a pretty humbling experience.

"I'm home" I called out as I closed the door behind me. Dinner was ready and as we sat down to eat I wondered if I would still be called dad after I had talked with them. I knew that I couldn't put it off so as soon as we finished dinner I said:

"We need to talk."

"About what?" asked Barb.

"About what is going to happen around here. As you both know your mother and I had an arrangement. What you don't know" I lied "is that the arrangement was about to change. Your mother was in the process of moving back into her room when the bad shit happened."

"Why?" asked Bev, "Why would she do that? She was happy with things the way they were."

I kept the lie going. "Your mother knew that what we had was never going to be long term. She knew that I was still in love with my wife. She never understood why especially knowing what Audrey had done to me, but she did know that I was still in love with Audrey. Audrey and I have been talking and trying to work things out and we decided to get back together and see if we could make things work. Your mother was moving so Audrey could move back in. Because of what happened we put off Audrey's move to let things settle down a bit around here. I wanted to give you a little advance notice and that is why I brought it up tonight. Audrey will be moving back in tomorrow."

"How could you" Bev cried, "Didn't mom mean anything to you at all?"

"Your mother meant a great deal to me honey, but your mother didn't love me and I didn't love her. It is like I said, we had an arrangement. You never knew, at least I don't think you did, but that arrangement came about because of you."

I told them about their mother overhearing their plans for me and how she decided that the only way to prevent it from happening was to get to me first. "So it started out as just a way to keep you two away from me. Over time we developed feelings for each other, but those feelings were never more than a strong affection for each other. We were very good friends, friends with benefits as it were, but still just friends."

"What about us" Barb wanted to know.

"Nothing changes as far as you two are concerned. Your mother gave you to me and I promised her that I would take care of you. You are mine now. Audrey is not coming here to be a replacement mother for you. I am hoping that you will be able to get along and in time become friends, but if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen. But you need to know that this is your home and that is not going to change. You are my girls now and that is the bottom line."

Both girls looked at me and then Barb showed that she me that she had a little more savvy than I had given her credit for.

"Is this you getting together with your wife to try and put things back together or is this just another arrangement being put in place to keep Bev and me out of your bedroom. Be honest with us here daddy. If this is just a way to hold us at bay and you really don't want to do it say so. I will promise to behave and leave you be rather than see you do something that you really don't want to do."

"Me too daddy" Bev said, "Please don't do it if you really don't want to."

Well, there it was. My way out. I knew that if the twins promised me something that they would follow through on it. The problem was the timing. If I would have had the conversation with them the night before -- after I'd set the time to meet Audrey, but before meeting her -- things might have gone differently because I would have had their promise, but I didn't have the talk and so I didn't have the promise when Audrey and I had our sit down. What I did have was that Kari and her friend Matty had told me that Audrey had never engaged in sex when she spent her time running around with Anna and the Diablos and Audrey had volunteered to take a lie detector test on the subject. I pretty much accepted that she hadn't cheated on me before leaving me. After? Who knows?

Audrey was a healthy woman and with a healthy woman's sexual appetite. Since I wouldn't let her come back I really couldn't blame her if she found someone to scratch her itch especially since I was busy letting Kari scratch mine. The fact was that I was ready to let Audrey come home. I was ready to try and put things back together. Would it help where Bev and Barb were concerned? Probably, but I did have to admit to myself that I did want to try it again with Audrey.

I looked from Bev to Barb and asked, "When did you start calling me daddy?"

"Months and months ago" Bev said. "We always referred to you as dad when we talked to mom and our friends. We never said it to you because we didn't know if you would like it."

"Thank you both. I'm honored that you think so well of me. Now to answer your question. I am taking Audrey back because I want to see if we can put our marriage back together. In fact it was your mom that helped convince me that Audrey never cheated on me and my thinking that she had cheated was the big reason that kept us from getting back together."

Of course they didn't know and I was never going to let them know that my getting back with Audrey had indeed started out to be an arrangement to protect me from them.

"Okay daddy" Bev said, "If you are sure that is what you want to do we will try to like her, but it will be hard."

"Why?"

"Oh come on dad" Bev said, "You know we both still want to climb in your bed and your wife will be it the way."

"Why won't the two of you accept that it is never going to happen?"

Barb chuckled and said, "Never is a long time daddy and over time things can change."

"Well little girl, one thing that hasn't changed is that dinner clean-up is still your job so get to it."

I didn't get much sleep that night. In my mind was the thought that the twins knew Audrey would be moving back in the next day and they might see that since I would be alone that night it might be a good time to take a shot at me. I remembered their plan that had brought the mother into my bed and every little noise had me looking at the bedroom door, but morning came without my having to fight them off.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x