Romance at Sea

Story Info
A biographer presses for more passion.
5.7k words
4.43
15.3k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

NOTE: This is a story about developing attraction and companionship rather than pussy being pounded on every page. Be warned. EG.

CHAPTER 1

Fog drifted over the city as former celebrated international pianist Gwendolyn Chappell was into her thirteenth session of being interviewed by her biographer, Stephen Miles.

"What do you recall as your naughtiest moment of your life Gwen?"

Dressed as if going to a ball, although it was only just after 8:30 am, Gwen said she would have to think about that. Earlier in her career she was fucked in a broom cupboard by a stage manager and there was the hilarious time when a female male impersonator took a huge likening to her and attempted unsuccessfully to engage her sexually.

Gwen looked out of the apartment widow, high above most of the city now buried in fog. She heard foghorns on the Hudson and smiled and began her recollection.

"Today you'll hear about me meeting a real man. It was during the peak of my career. After all the passengers had boarded I arrived to walk behind the scruffy men carrying my cabin baggage. I turned to wave and was caught in a barrage of camera flashlight and TV lights. You see everyone knew that during this tour I was to present a private concert to the Queen of England and her family. You will be aware of course if you want fame to stick you have to treat the media kindly so I gave them what them wanted and to cement my fame: I stuck my tongue out after shouting, 'Fuck off and do something useful you jerks.' Shelia my agent had coached me to do that, being simply a wonderful publicist and having being a newspaper photographer herself earlier in her career."

As Gwen continued talking her mind returned fully to that day in 1971 and she could see that day unfolding...

* * *

Gwen stepped aboard into the Midship's Loby and that last gangway was pulled away and the great ship was ready to sail, it's final passenger on board. An immaculately suited man, aged about forty, said to her rudely, "That was a disgusting way for a lady to behave, especially you being one of the world's greatest concert pianists playing the circuit today."

"Look, I don't know who are your buddy..."

Shelia Molineaux whispered to Gwen.

"Oh I do declare you are no other than Randall Jones, new owner of the New York Chronicle. Please learn to be more respectful before you dare speak to me again you drunken media man."

Gwen half-expected the insolent guy to half sink to his feet and apologize but all he said was, "You are indeed a fading beauty but it's a pity about your pettiness. Good day to you Miss Chappell. May the media castigate you."

The media didn't of course. Already sub-editor's were writing headlines saying. 'Our Gwen Gives it to the Media Again' and 'Rude Bitch But We Love Her' while a voice over for a TV network film clip to be screened that evening stated, 'This is celebrated pianist Gwendolyn Chappell presenting one her more infamous farewells to the American media. Some say this is her farewell European tour but even the media wouldn't want that to occur. She' a rare world-class celebrity who's not up herself.' Attorneys were called in to consider those last few words and reject or approve them for broadcasting.

Aboard the great liner the chief purser stepped between Gwen and Mr Jones in case she decided to take a swing at her tormentor.

"Hi Jack, still strutting your stuff I see."

"You know me Gwen, I'll go with the ship when she goes to be broken up for scrap. Come with me. Your usual penthouse is piled high with flowers as usual. Once you have seen them do you wish to have them distributed to other passengers?"

"Yes please Jack but make sure they are given to tourist-class passengers."

Randall stroked his cheek where, for a moment, he'd thought Miss Chappell had been about to whack him. He looked at her disappearing and thought she wanted excessive flowers distributed to the cabins of lower-class passengers. The aging babe had a touch of humanity... and class.

Later when they were out at sea, Randall saw Miss Chappell's horsy-faced woman companion looking around the room. She spotted him and headed straight over.

"Mr Jones, Miss Chappell will be honored if you would kindly join her at her table this evening."

"Whatever for?"

"Because she finds you somewhat interesting and appear to have a lively mind. What response may I take to her?"

"Tell her to get lost."

"I shall rephrase your response and pass it on."

The grand first-class dinning hall was packed for the second sitting, as the sea was calm, not giving passengers with weak stomachs the opportunity to feel seedy. People knew that famous concert pianist Gwendolyn Chappell was aboard and usually could be persuaded by the captain to play two items. They also knew it was traditional for celebrities to go only to the second sitting.

At the captain's table six of his seven guests were invited to stand to acknowledge their presence. First were the Canadian twin sisters who were Olympic skating medallists, two film stars, a Japanese electronics inventor and Australian newspaper magnate Randall Jones. They received polite applause and then the orchestra played on.

After the main courses were cleared away the captain rose and a spotlight fell on to Gwen sitting at the next table. "Ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to introduce Miss Gwendolyn Chappell, one of our best-loved frequent passengers."

Polite applause filled the room and as Gwen stood to acknowledge she saw Randall clapping and grinning at her.

"Gustavo," she said, turning to the pianist in the small orchestra. "When was the piano tuned?"

"This morning miss. It was known you'd be aboard. It's as good as you'll ever get at sea."

"Thank you."

Gwen, very glittering in her gown and small tiara, went to the piano and sat on the padded stool. "Mr Randall Jones please nominate a piece you wish me to play."

He stood, very elegant in his tuxedo, 'When Irish Eyes are Smiling' if you please.

"Oh Mr Jones, I'm afraid I play only classical music and for children at the under age ten birthday parties of my relatives. Captain, your request please."

"No stop!" said Mr Jones still standing. "My grandmother played that tune for me throughout my childhood."

Gwen sighed and said, very well, and not only played but sang it as well. When she finished women everywhere were sniffing into handkerchiefs and men were studying the ceiling.

"Right Mr Jones, one more."

"Waltzing Matilda please."

Cheers erupted from several people in the dining room.

"Oh, other homesick Australians in the house. Very well, I shall not disappoint. But don't be offended by the variations, the real tune will come when the orchestra joins me after three variants."

Gwen played the tune as a very slow waltz, at jazz rhythm and as a boogie and then pausing for Richard to bring his baton down played it authentically.

The audience clapped but appeared a little restrained.

"Captain? You have the final request."

"Miss Chappell. I believe Mr Jones can conclude with a finale worthy of this occasion."

"Very well. Mr Jones, are you capable of producing something more challenging?"

"I think so miss. 'The Warsaw Concerto,' accompanied by the orchestra."

"Mr Jones, I don't think you understand. There have been no rehearsals..."

"Ask the conductor if they are willing to give it a go...we are a tolerant bunch of people here and are aware you guys won't have rehearsed."

"No."

"Well, you disappoint me Miss Chappell."

Gwen appeared about to leap from her stool when the conductor who had been consulting his players whispered to Gwen and took up his baton.

The room hushed and Gwen and the orchestra played.

At the end of the magnificent presentation the room remained hushed, a champagne cork popped and the entire assembly apart from three people in wheelchairs, rose and acclaimed wildly. Passengers would talk about that night long after the end of the voyage.

The chief purser spoke to an elderly man seated on Gwen's right after she was seated and he excused himself and left after speaking briefly to his young female companion. The captain then arrived with Mr Jones, introduced Randall to Gwen and returned to his table.

* * *

The voice of biographer Stephen Miles brought Gwen out of her virtual self-hypnosis.

"And so began the greatest romance of your life with your husband Randall who died three years ago?"

"Yes, and it may interest you to know that shipping line for several years played as boarding and disembarking music my recording of the Warsaw Concerto with the ship's orchestra recorded after three weeks of rehearsals. Eventually the shipping line gained a new chairman and he instructed that the passenger liners must lighten up their music, the jerk."

Stephen arrived home and his wife Susan asked, "And how was the arrogant bitch today?"

"Marvelous, absolutely marvelous. She'd gotten me into her story at last; I was living it today."

"Are you and I talking about the same woman?"

"I would think so."

"Stephen, have you been drinking?"

"Three cups of coffee and just before coming away one glass of wine."

Susan hung up Stephen's coat from where he'd dropped it on the chair and she could see he was tired but happy. "What has changed you? You are grumbling about the possibility of dropping the project and returning her money? Did this morning's fog dull your reasoning?"

"No she talked about sailing out of New York in the fog and pulled me into her story. It was as if I was there. Amazing."

"Well you are not making sense. Next thing you'll be telling me you have a winning book with your name on it."

"I reserve judgment on that. But allow me to tell you as from today I know I am dealing with a misunderstood genius. Look, pour us drinks and come beside me for a cuddle and listen to my recording. I'll play it through the stereo system. It is mainly her; I scarcely had to ask a question."

"Oh god. I better mix stiff martinis."

They sat in silence when the recording finished after Stephen added the date, time and location of the interview until Susan, a retired psychologist said, "Wow."

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Susan said: "I should think she was socially restricted during her childhood, in effect missing most of her childhood because someone kept her at the piano, probably her mother. My opinion is she learned to be rebellious but her mother had the strength of character and quelled it but after allowing her daughter to let off some steam. Music teachers exercised similar control. Her life was all about control, control, control even after the breakthrough came in winning competitions and then bookings began coming in and she established professionally. I would think because of the restrains she lived with that she sought release and that explains her rather childish behavior with the media. The reporters hit back and she loved it, loved the barbs and the attention. She was smart enough that it was music not personal reputation that mattered and if she became known for being difficult and at times doing some outrageous things that would captivate people including those who love to hate. As you say, today was a breakthrough for you darling. You now have her trust and she'll deliver for you, as it is you that will take her to the biggest audience she'd even known – the world of booklovers who read good biographies that tell it, warts and all."

"Thank you dear. I knew I could rely on you. Once I have taken her through life with Randall I'll return to something you've put your finger on: her relationship with her mother. She's spoken to me a lot about the dedication of her mother but thanks to you I see it as being all too pat. There is the agony and the ecstasy to dig out."

"Thank you darling. Please play me the recording again. You go off to your study if you wish."

"No, I wish to hear it again. I must buy a book on that liner as she was in the seventies so I can describe the layout and décor in detail."

CHAPTER 2

Gwen stood at the window looking as the wind gusts whipping the rain around the taller buildings. She sipped coffee and still in her nightdress under a robe said, "You were earlier today."

Stephen knew not to dispute that so said, "Whatever, let's start."

"I don't feel like taking about my professional life today."

"Well don't, let's talk sex."

"Ha, I'm not much interested in sex these days," said the retired pianist who'd turn sixty at the end of the year.

"Take me back. Let's see, it's Day One of the voyage on the QE2 and we're heading for Southampton...

* * *

Gwen thought the captain could have asked her before dumping the bumptious Australian on to her, quite forgetting she'd originally invited Randall Jones to her table. She'd said she was pleased to meet him formerly but as soon as the captain left she ignored Mr Jones, speaking instead to the politician on the other side of her who was telling her about salmon fishing in Scotland. The thought of lovely fish being hooked by beastly men smoking cigars and talking crap made her feel like puking over the guy so she turned back to Randall.

"Thank you for your requests. Do you enjoy torturing women?"

"Not at all, I knew you'd be up to it. Have you had any memorable affairs?"

That made Gwen mad. She felt like calling, "Waiter, remove this jerk but perhaps she should give the guy a second chance. "Yes, but none were celebrities and none were American."

"Three for me too, but none were musicians and none were my wives. I'm on my third marriage."

"So, you are not good at picking good fucks?"

Conversations around them died and poor Randall looked in need of a lifeline.

"Come on, take me to a bar where we can continue this fascinating conversation. Sorry folk Mr Jones has this inclination to confess and this space is too open for him to be explicit. Charles, please order another two bottles for this table and then two more to follow and place that order on my tab. Goodnight everyone."

She had to pull Randall from his chair and as they left the orchestra slipped into playing "Goodnight Irene."

As they settled into the Observation Bar Randall said, "Christ you are a social embarrassment."

"Stop whining and tell me what these other women had that your wives didn't?"

They left the bar almost two hours later. Gwen, releasing the grip on Randall she'd applied so he couldn't run out on her, pushed him into her penthouse suite and locked the door.

"Do you know why you are here Randall?"

"Yes."

"Do you feel like doing it?"

"Yes."

"Good boy, Gwen said, undoing his bowtie.

"Smallish tits," Randall said as he got them uncovered.

"I trust there is nothing smallish about you Randall."

Randall checked out okay and was invited to dock. He did this slowly and deliberately and watched quite a bush surround his disappearing cock.

Gwen was rather disappointed that their coupling lacked the magic she'd expected and felt like kicking him out but they both fell asleep without either of them climaxing.

In the morning the sound of off-key singing awoke Gwen. She smiled and thought something was wrong between them. So had no idea what it was but it needed to be fixed.

Randall breezed into the bedroom, his dick swinging as he toweled his back. "Out of bed you lazy bitch."

"No and don't you dare talk to me like that."

Bang! She slid on to the floor, knocking her head. She burst into tears and realized he'd pulled the mattress up and dumped her.

"God, you are a wimp," he said.

She went to smack him over the nose, the idea being to crush cartilage but hopefully to leave bone intact, sending him to the ship's hospital.

Gwen tensed and let fly but he appeared to read her intention easily and caught her wrist in flight. "You bitch, whack me and I'll hit you into tomorrow."

A person not unused to violence, she could be violent at times, Gwen lost it completely and burst into tears. Through the water flow she saw muscle and sinews on his chest and arms and knew instantly this guy was superbly fit. So what? She found herself being bundled into the shower, soaped all over, rinsed, bundled out and dried without a finger being pushed up her or whatever. She was outraged – not by the fact that he'd not fingered her but because he'd soaped her – she'd never allowed soap to touch her body since she was eighteen and he'd wet her hair and not used her baby shampoo.

"Get away from me your creep," she yelled.

Randall handed her the wall phone and said complain to the captain. But as soon as she went to talk he snatched the phone from here and cut the connection, glaring at her and saying bitch. At that her resistance collapsed. "Okay you brute, violate me and see if I care."

The effect was not as she expected. He looked at her pitifully and put on his trousers and dress shirt and picking up his shoes and remainder of his clothes went to leave the room.

"Wait, where are you going?"

"To find the company of warm humans."

"I'm a warm human."

"Ha!"

He was almost out the door when she said, "Wait, I'll do anything you ask."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Right, there is no mutual respect between us and that's why we blew having intercourse last night."

She couldn't believe her ears. "Really?"

"Yes really. If you want to be plowed delightfully legless tonight dress into shorts and a pretty top and pack your towel, sunglass, lipstick, creams and whatever to rest with me beside the pool. Put on your swimsuit instead of bra and briefs."

"All right. At least this doesn't sound boring. Will I have to wait until tonight for sex?"

"Earlier if you can managed to turn me on."

"Right, a deal. Now leave my room. I'll meet you at breakfast. Or instead perhaps I'll lay a formal complaint about you?

"Please yourself," he said, going out the door and leaving her to close it.

Gwen was really uptight when she went to breakfast, a jacket over her shoulders and her hair down and that was unusual for her. She nodded acknowledgement at some of the people who called to her and was so uptight, just as if she was about to walk in to perform at a concert. How could a man have such a hold over her? She saw him at a table alone and was drawn as to a magnet although she'd already decided she wouldn't sit with him although she'd pass and smile politely. As she sat she though she'd slap him if he asked what had taken her so long, but he was standing, clutching his napkin at his waist and smiling, lust in his eyes. Oh God, not at breakfast!

But it was fine, very civil in fact. He answered every question she put to him, although making him almost scowl at times. Through that interrogation she learned a great deal about him. The motion of the ship didn't disturb her; she was a transatlantic crossing veteran.

"People are already dropping like flies with green gills," he said conversationally.

She thought did that imply Randall had extraordinary vision and smiled at her joke. "Have you seen people being sea sick?"

"No the waiter pouring my four cups of coffee kept telling me numbers would be smaller coming in for breakfast due to sea sickness that was always worse at the start of a crossing."

"Four cups of coffee is rather excessive."

"It would have been fewer had you got off your ass and arrived here earlier."

She smiled and he scowled. "You are such a pig I don't know why I bother with you."

He smiled widely and she almost whimpered, knowing she was falling for him like a silly young woman desperate to be taken by a man.

Gwen ordered English breakfast tea and two pieces of lightly done toast.

Randall said, "Butterflies have more than that for breakfast."

"I only eat a proper breakfast after being thoroughly seduced. It's a weight-control thing, offset at times by a ravenous need to restore energy."

12