Romance in Red

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Now who's head is in eminent danger of swelling! Well, if that's the case, your wait is over! Here I am and I'm not going anywhere! In fact, I'm here to stay! What do you think about them apples Miss MacMillan?"

"I happen to be exceptionally partial to apples Dr. Shelton."

You've no doubt heard the little gem that goes something like this? "He was having a come to Jesus meeting" and was suddenly lost in the many possibilities. I had to smile when he regained his composure and began speaking as if he'd never stopped.

"Now a little background on me. I completed my Psy.D. in Psychology when I was twenty-nine. I suppose my technical status and title is Dr. John Robert Shelton, Psy.D. As I said, I was a professor at the N.E. University School of Medicine here for almost thirty-six years, retired for just over five years. I'm a planter. I put down roots and stay grounded. I have three kids, two boys and a girl, all married, successful and great human beings. Seven grandchildren and of course one very darling great granddaughter. My wife was a stay at home Mom, we both wanted it that way. Corrine was a wonderful woman, and we had a good marriage. She died four years ago, cancer. It was rough. When she was diagnosed, I left my position and stayed home to care for her. A year later she was gone."

"I'm truly sorry and can somewhat comprehend the lost. Although losing a wife doesn't quite compare I lost my mother to cancer. I'm sorry, forgive me for interrupting. Please go on."

"Thank you, Ellie. Let me say this. When you lose someone, you love, it hurts all the same."

"Yes ... I'm sure it does."

"The worst part was being alone. My kids kept telling me to date but I didn't know how. Sounds funny but so true. And you were waiting for me so now it's all good."

"Yes, it is." Was I waiting for him? Maybe I was?

"My granddaughter and her husband, live in our old house and I built a new one, sans all the usual memories. It's not that I wanted to forget that part of my life but it was time to move forward. The house was a dream of mine. I designed it and searched for quite some time to find the perfect piece of real estate. I've been there just about a year. I pick up Julia from school when the nanny isn't around. I keep involved with the work mentoring and giving seminars here and there. So, that's me in a nut shell."

Watching him I sensed a kind man. No ulterior motives, which was uplifting in today's world of the what's in for me way of thinking. John was a nice person, and that was saying quite a lot.

"What do you do now that you're a retired woman? That still gets me, a young woman retired before her life is half over. Aren't you missing the interaction and hub bub of a fast-paced business life?"

"No, I don't miss any part of it. That was the main reason I decided to change course. I wanted a simpler life that wasn't fraught with contracts and deadlines. I've always been drawn to the past and how life was enjoyed and people were humble. So, I bit the bullet as you say and I buy and sell antiques. I have an affinity for anything and everything that has a bit of age."

"Does that include men?"

It was a halfhearted stab at levity but my answer was obviously important.

"Ohhh, especially men!"

"Thank God, cause I'm definitely approaching antique status. They don't make anything like they used to any more so in my professional opinion you should consider my value and resign yourself to keeping me?"

"I'm beginning to believe I just may have to do just that."

"I knew you were a woman who would appreciate my intrinsic value. Now, back to the older man attraction? I ask this purely for clinical clarification of course."

"Of course! It's not as complicated a mindset as you may think."

"There's nothing at all complicated about you Eli."

"Then to answer your question Dr. Shelton. Older men have a sense of caring, respect attentiveness and appreciation that I've always sensed is lacking in today's young men or men closer to my age. Don't get me wrong there are many men who strive to be all these things and are quite successful, but it doesn't come as naturally. We live in a world that doesn't have time for anything that's not propelling someone somewhere. I've been very fortunate. I've never needed a man to take care of me, be responsible for me, I'm quite capable in that regard."

"You're an independent woman, that comes through without question."

"My needs are on in entirely different spectrum. I want the companionship, the emotional closeness and interaction that has nothing to do with material things. Older men have the where with all to see past all that perhaps because they've experienced life a little longer. are seasoned, like rare collectables, their value increases with age."

"Jesus, I never thought of myself as a rare collectable, I like the connotation though. I'm wondering about something only a man would think of, well pragmatic men. With age come certain limitations. Virility wanes, even though the desire is strong, the apparatus may not function the way it used to. Not that I'm speaking personally of course! You're a young vibrant woman, how do you handle that?"

It tickles me when males of any age or stage of virility puff out their chests, assertively displaying their masculinity like a magnificent Silverback, thumping his chest in a seductive display as he woos his perspective mate. This is perhaps an innate form of signaling the lady in his sights that she should appreciate his macho machismo and acquiesce to his resolve to have her.

"If you're attempting to enlighten me that you might experience minor intermittent interruptions in the functional operational specter of life, it's all relative. Metaphorically speaking there are countless behavior modifications that can be enacted to encourage any dog to hunt."

John was smiling. His mind was desperately dissecting my figurative representation of a hunting dog. He was about to render his clinical opinion on the subject as Jeremy arrived with our first course. Taking a deep breath, he altered the direction of his thoughts.

"Thank you, young man it looks delicious. We'd like to enjoy a leisurely dinner Jeremy so no rush at all."

"Yes sir, I completely understand." Males possess a characteristic signaling system.

John waited for my reaction to his appetizing first choice. "This is luscious." His chest bloomed.

"Let's continue exploring that hunting dog? I'm a firm believer in the symbolic canine having the ability to learn new tricks no matter how old of a dog he happens to be. It's all about methodology."

"Yes, incentive and said canine's willingness to try new things can produce remarkable results. I personally subscribe to the treat reward system of training. The instructor asks for compliance and offers a tasty reward when said canine successfully completes the required task"

"That does appear to be a textbook technique. When said, canine recognizes that he ... or ... she ... noting that this structured method will produce the desired results regardless of the gender of said canine ... is compliant ... will ultimately result in both the personal satisfaction of successfully fulfilling the behavioral request as well as satiating the rapacious nature inherently found in all species."

"Exactly. The reward theory has existed and functioned with excellent results perhaps since the beginning of time. Wasn't it Eve who ate the forbidden fruit in opposition to her creator but in compliance with her seducer who offered an even more salacious reward?"

"That may be a debatable research result. Although scholars have long held the belief that the apple was in fact the sin of desire which led to sexual awakening. To the purpose of this discussion, I will agree that the reward theory has merit."

"I thought you might." Sexual banter is so very exhilarating. We were both more than capable of intellectual seduction.

"Professionally speaking, I might add, that the Psychological effect of a reward system has been found to be quite successful. Suddenly I have a very encouraging motivation to explore the possibilities that advanced encouragement can harvest. That being said, I propose that we enjoy this sumptuous meal and respectively consider the potential opportunities that a proficient lesson plan offers."

I laughed. Not at him. He was a perceptive gentleman. I liked him. Very much.

Our meal was delicious. The conversation was filled with seducing innuendo and sensual flirting. Whether it was the wine or the company we seemed to glide into a smooth discussion of life's wide-ranging topics filled with sensory stimulation. Perhaps it was as simple as chemistry?

With our dinner now delightfully consumed the table was cleared and a steamy chocolate soufflé arrived. Pillows of whipped crème, sweet raspberries and a drizzle of warm Grand Marnier laced chocolate sauce satisfied the craving for the exotic. The erotic was still percolating.

"I certainly have a keen sense of who you are Eliana. I'm beginning to realize that a new perspective to chance encounters was something that I never entertained."

"Professor, or should I say Dr. Shelton ... sir? Surely as an academic/medical man you're aware that scholars aren't the only minds that can offer a treasure trove of innovative and exciting ideas?"

I reached down and rested my hand on John's thigh. Was that a quivering I felt?

He reached up and held my chin in his hand. Leaning forward he kissed me. "A professor who doesn't encourage his students to explore every possibility, discuss options, admit that a fresh and open mind offers alternative theories becomes stagnant. Your lips are as soft as falling rain on a summer morning. I see a thunder storm on my horizon, powerful strikes of blue white lightning in your green eyes."

The next kiss left me breathless.

"I'm thinking we should take this tête-à-tête to a more amiable level of comfort. Would you like to come back to my home for a nightcap Dr. Shelton?"

"I thought you would never ask. Let me take care of Jeremy and I'll be right back. Don't move a muscle, I don't want to miss a second of you."

John stood up, bent down and kissed my cheek. "I'll be right back."

Anyone can read the signs? the writing on the wall? I knew that neither of us had anything to lose. It's all right there to see if you open your eyes. We were teetering somewhere between nothing to lose and something to be gained. John came back and we walked out to our cars.

Yes ... my hand in his hand. A seemingly very nice fit.

"Follow me. I live in Chester, on Mulberry. I'd like to thank you for a lovely dinner John. I've had a marvelous evening and thought we could keep the conversation going? In case if we get separated my address is 1875 Mulberry Road. Make a left off Cherry and I'm the last house on the right. It's a cul-de-sac so you can't miss it, an old white Federal with black shutters and red door."

"Got it. It's only nine-thirty, I don't change into a frog until midnight. I'll be right behind you."

"I knew I'd been with a prince all evening."

"Flattery will get you everywhere!"

"I know."

"I know ... you know. Now let's get a move on young lady, I'm old and wasting time isn't an option we should entertain."

We made it to our cars and pulled out of the parking lot arriving at my house in no time. I opened the garage and pulled in, John parked in the driveway. I smiled when I thought about the neighbors wondering who this strange man was? Only he wasn't strange at all, quite the contrary.

"Come in this way, and I'll close the garage behind us." John came in, I closed the garage door and we were walking into the kitchen. I snapped on the light and thought, well here we are. Who could have guessed?

"You have a great house Eliana. Chester is a nice little town. How long have you lived here?"

"I moved in three years ago, after my divorce. I always wanted an old house, this was built in 1865. It's home and I'm happy here. What can I get you? Wine, coffee, whatever you'd like?"

"Whatever I'd like? Now that's appealing on so many levels. How about a glass of wine, I have to drive home so nothing strong?" He walked into the living room and looked about smiling.

Such a gentleman. He didn't automatically assume he'd be staying. That was interesting. I wondered what he did like? Okay, so I'm wondering. I was thinking about sexual desires. I was. What's wrong with that? Nothing Eliana, nothing at all. A personal conversation with myself. It happened all the time. I smiled to myself. That happened all the time too.

"I can see you all around this house. Warm and welcoming. I also see what you mean about antiques. A house like this needs old things to keep in character. I'm thinking I should be your latest acquisition. What did you say, a rare collectable? That's me so keep that in mind."

It wasn't a question and didn't require a response. Perhaps it was simply a statement of fact that we both agreed was relevant and the truth of the matter.

I poured the wine and went into the living room. "Here you go, John. Please sit down."

I felt his eyes following me across the room. We needed a little added ambiance, music. I thought a melodic saxophone moaning seductively, floating desire in the air was the perfect touch. It was quietly sexual and wouldn't overshadow our conversation but would provide a sensual caress.

"Alright, now where we?" What a sweet man he was sitting here in my living room smiling.

I kicked off my shoes and sat down on the couch. His arm came up behind me and I leaned against him. I didn't expect the kiss. His lips were warm and soft.

"Though I own she is a creature of character and feature ... no words will paint her picture ... the swan is in her movement and the morning in her smile ... all the roses in the garden ... they bow and beg her pardon ... for none could match her splendor ... my intentions nor deceive her ... I must find some way to gain her ... to court her and to tame her ... I fear my heart's in danger ... for she's all my tomorrows ... It's an old Gaelic poem. Just fits you so well."

"You're quite the romantic soul Dr. Shelton ... just fits you so well."

"You fit me Eli, you fit me very well indeed." Another kiss, and another.

Silence takes over and you feel yourself dwelling in the possibilities.

"I don't want to overstay my welcome and I was thinking. Would you like to have lunch tomorrow? Nothing fancy. I thought I could pick you up about eleven-thirty and drive down to the shore. There's a great place there for lobster. Mulligan's is a favorite haunt of mine, I'd like to spend the afternoon with you if you're free?"

"That sounds like a wonderful afternoon and I accept. I've been to Mulligan's love the place. So, you're a lobster man then?"

Mulligan's is a lobster pound, like so many scattered along the New England coast. It's a favorite of the locals and siting right on the Atlantic shore has its own ambiance and draw for true crustacean connoisseurs.

"Oh yes! When I was a kid I wanted to be a lobsterman. My folks thought that a college education would allow me to afford lobster instead of starving trying to catch it. I went to college and spent the rest of my life paying for lobster and figuring people out. I'm going to kiss you now."

And he did.

His lips were tender. I could feel his body trembling and wondered if it was passion or being unsure. The trembling dwindled and the passion took over. His tongue glided across my lips gently parting them slipping into my mouth. I felt his mouth open and kiss me deeper and with intensity. I put my arms around his neck and he pressed his body against me. Eager lips trailed down my neck and kissed me gently nipping my skin.

"God, you feel so good." John's hands glided down my back, holding me to him. I shivered when he touched my thigh. I laid back on the couch and he came closer to me, his body quietly moving, resting his head on my breasts. John's trace was sensual, excited me, spreading his fingers apart, caressing me, exploring my body so prudently. Almost as an afterthought, he raised up on one arm and touched my face, his fingers feeling my lips, looking in my eyes, pondering me.

"Such a pensive look Dr. Shelton?"

"Your curves are in all the right places. I want you to know me. I want to show you who I am. When I look in your eyes I want to know you, see that you see me. It takes time to understand what's inside a woman's soul. There's no sense of urgency here. You aren't seducing me, although that wouldn't hurt my ego at all. You like me, that comes through so clearly. You know I like you. It takes time for passion to be enjoyed. I feel the desire in your body and it would be so easy to make love to you. You're a special woman Eli, and I want you to know who I am so falling in love with me will be as natural as breathing."

I looked into the eyes of a man that hopeless romantics dream about. There was no insistence, no pressure to take this any further. I wanted him, he wanted me. There was something else. A deeper desire that was growing and willing to wait to be cultivated at its pique.

John kissed me sweetly.

"It's time for me to go."

I admit I wanted him to stay.

We got up and he held me close in his arms. "You know I hate to think that someone could ever hurt someone like you. Maybe you don't know me any more than I know you, I want that to change. I've been watching you all evening. I don't want a one night and gone. I'm willing to wait, wait to do this right. I want you to know how special you are to me."

I felt tears welling up in my eyes. He saw them too, and smiled.

"Eliana, I'm so eager to see what's in our future. I haven't felt that for a very long time this sense of excitement. In my very professional yet humble opinion you feel it too. Tomorrow we spend the afternoon together and gorge on lobster! I'm so glad I needed a card today. Kiss me and then throw me out before I change our minds, which wouldn't take much, I can promise you that."

I laughed threw my tears and hugged him tight. I kissed him, over and over and he couldn't stop laughing. It was fun, he was fun, this entire day was fun. There was more to it than fun.

"Okay, time to skedaddle! Okay one more kiss than I'm outta here!"

John wrapped his hands around my waist and pulled me close. We stood there kissing not wanting to let go. "I have got to leave right now or I won't leave."

He kissed each cheek, my forehead and my lips, just once more.

"Pick you up at eleven-thirty. Dress warm, you know how cold and wet it is on the coast!"

I walked him to the door and he hugged me tight before walking down to his car. I watched him drive away and closed the door. I had no idea where this was going but I was more than willing to ride this train to the end of the line.

Washing the glasses, I couldn't stop smiling. I turned out the lights and turned off the music. Getting undressed I kept feeling his lips. Climbing into bed I was giddy. How in the world did I get so lucky? God, Eli, you sound like a woman falling in love? Was I?

Eleven-thirty on the dot John pulled into the driveway. I opened the door and he had me in his arms before it closed behind him.

"I missed you Eli, something awful. I thought about you all night. I felt your body against me and I ached for you. You make me feel alive. Jesus, that sounds so cliché. We're not going to be passing strangers in the night. That's something we both wouldn't want. Feelings are coming alive in me that I haven't felt for a very long time, thought I never would again. Don't chalk this up to an old man whose lost his marbles. I assure you I'm in complete control of my faculties. And I wouldn't be saying any of this if I wasn't convinced that you feel it to."