Run and Hide Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CC_Ryder
CC_Ryder
587 Followers

Paul chuckled and briefly envisioned Ace battling wannabe suitors. Shirtless. Sweaty. Fierce. He shifted to ease a sudden tightening of his pants.

"Incoming, two o'clock," Ace murmured.

Paul blinked. "Two o'clock?"

Paul turned around to see Mrs. Donaldson, one of his favorite patients, approaching their table with her eyes lit up in delight. Paul skipped over the question phase and immediately introduced Ace as his boyfriend.

"Oh I wish I had known about this!" Mrs. Donaldson cried. "I could have introduced you to my nephew. He's the sweetest boy, and you're a doctor and everything!"

"Well, for my part, I'm glad you didn't," Ace said with a smile.

"At any rate, you boys make a handsome couple." She squeezed Paul's upper arm. "Congratulations, sweetie."

She walked away muttering, "A doctor, too! My poor Shane could have had a doctor."

"You know what I miss from the closet?" Paul said, once Mrs. Donaldson was out of earshot.

"Anonymous, terrified sex?"

Paul gently kicked him under the table. "Fewer matchmakers. They are absolutely legion."

"Well, consider your match made," Ace said. "You're safe from the yentas."

"Honestly, I figured it was the older folks who would have the biggest problem," Paul said.

"I think it's actually the more middle-aged who are likely to object. Grandparents are a lot more live-and-let-live. They know there's more to life than bitching and moaning. Well, about things other than their hip pain, I suppose."

"Maybe for our next date, we can go somewhere with fewer grandparents," Paul muttered. "They're kind of throwing me off my game."

"Who says you've got game, doc?"

Ace and Paul spun their heads to the fence and found Tanner standing on the other side of the fence surrounding the patio.

Of course. Of course he's here. Every fucked-up cake needs its icing.

Tanner easily hopped the low fence and sauntered over to their table.

"So, Ace, you finally pushed the bone doc out of the closet," Tanner said, making no attempt to lower his voice. "Can't say that I blame you," he continued with a leer in Paul's direction.

Ace sighed. "Tanner, please leave. We are not interested in anything you have to offer. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who would love to hook up with you. Go find them."

Tanner slid into a chair between the two men. "But why bother with them when I've got two hot guys right here?" He leaned in confidentially. "I'll let you guys play finger cuffs with me. C'mon, how hot does that sound? We're all fags here. Let's really act like it."

Paul gritted his teeth against a growing urge to toss Tanner bodily over the fence.

"Look, kid," Ace said, weary with having to deal with this. "You're starting to embarrass yourself. We don't need to add anybody to our relationship to make it hot."

"You mean this just-barely-out-of-the-closet relationship?" Tanner scoffed. "Please. You'll get bored -- or he will -- and you'll beg me to jump in your bed. Same old story."

Something in Paul snapped. He'd heard exactly enough from this asshole. He towered over Tanner in a menacing pose. "You think I need to keep us a secret?" he growled. "You think I'm not satisfied here?"

Paul stood abruptly and climbed onto his chair.

"Excuse me, everyone, can I have your attention?" he called out to the other diners on the patio. A few of the customers inside swiveled his way as well. "I doubt it matters to anyone, but I want to make an official announcement. My name is Dr. Paul McDonnell. I am gay, and I am in love with his man." He pointed to Ace, whose mouth hung open in shock. "He's the one who's blushing right over there. Isn't he beautiful?" He paused, trying to think of anything else he needed to say. "This concludes my announcement."

In the total silence that followed, Paul hopped down from his chair, rounded the table to Ace and kissed him deeply.

People on the patio burst into applause. Paul threw down a handful of bills on the table to cover their meal and a generous tip and led his man out of the restaurant. Tanner stayed slumped in his chair, annoyed and defeated.

*****

Ace held tight to Paul's trembling hand as they left the restaurant. Talk about jumping off the deep end. He couldn't believe Paul did that just now.

"What happened to baby steps?"

Paul shrugged. "I guess I grew up."

"Well, if that shows up on YouTube, there will be such punishment."

Paul squeezed his hand, calming a little. "Promise?" he rumbled low.

Ace pulled him around the corner to the back side of the restaurant. "I could give you a preview of your punishment now," he murmured. "Wanna go home?"

Paul breathed deeply. "Not yet. Let's walk for a bit."

Ace shook his head. "I can't believe you're delaying sex. You of all people. This feels backward."

"It's part of my plan for tonight. I'm trying immersion therapy."

Ace looked at him questioningly.

"Let's take a walk on Mass." Paul took his hand again. "I want to get so used to this that it never gives me the shakes again."

Ace squeezed his hand tightly in response, and the two of them joined the summer throngs.

While not as densely crowded as on an early autumn evening after the university was back in session, Massachusetts Street was bustling with a relaxed and steady flow of people -- college students still in town over the summer, recent grads who weren't ready to fly away just yet, long-time locals who couldn't resist the melting coolness of a summer evening.

They walked unhurriedly, pausing to look in at any shop that caught their eye, rarely breaking contact with each other.

Ace couldn't remember the last time he felt this comfortable in his own life.

"Hey, isn't that your friend?"

Ace followed Paul's gesture and saw Erik sitting outside of an ice cream parlor on Ninth. He was at a small table on a tiny patio, slowly picking at his sundae and watching the crowds stream by.

Ace bit his bottom lip, thinking. "Do you mind if we- I mean, I know we're on a date and all, but-"

"We should say hi," Paul said.

"I really really want you two to be friends. Good friends."

"I want that too."

Ace kissed him quickly and bounded over to Erik's table. He and Paul soon settled in with their desserts on either side of Erik.

"It's good to see that you're not at work, Mr. Overachiever," Ace said.

"It was just too pretty outside to waste the night at home alone," Erik said, somewhat wistfully.

That tempered some of Ace's overflowing happiness. Now that Ace no longer needed a bitching buddy on Sundays, his best friend probably felt even more left out of life.

Paul looked slyly at Ace. "Think we should?"

Ace's eyes widened. He didn't mean that, right? Did Tanner make him think-

"Send him to Holly," Paul clarified.

Ace relaxed. "Oh, that's totally my plan, yes," he said. "Not that any of us will have much choice." He turned to Erik. "Once she meets you, you will unleash the matchmaker."

Erik looked warily at him. "Sounds ominous."

"More like unstoppable," Paul said. "Now that she's got us sorted out, she'll be on the lookout for a new project. Once the wedding is over, of course."

The wedding. Ace grinned to himself and took a happy bite of his ice cream. Looks like he was able to find Paul a date to Steven's wedding after all.

Chapter 17

In the darkness of the hotel ballroom, trailed by a twinkling red spotlight, the couple swayed in each other's arms and shared a private joke, savoring this moment together that was so long in coming. Appropriate for these two, the song playing throughout the room was not something common or shmoopy. Instead, it was yearning and earnest, and one that the great-aunts wouldn't recognize.

Paul took another long pull from his beer as he watched his little brother and his new wife continue their first dance in the ballroom of this old hotel on the Plaza.

Meanwhile, his date was sitting across the room with Helen McDonnell, who had captured Ace's ear and wasn't letting go. So Paul found himself with nothing to do but drink his beer and watch the dancers.

But honestly, apart from giving the toast before the dancing began, Paul's job as best man didn't entail much activity during the reception anyway. Even during the ceremony itself, he had only a few assignments: Produce the rings when the minister said the word "rings." Don't trip. And don't make Holly cry -- or get the church giggles.

Which meant he tried to refrain from making any eye contact with Holly at all. Because they learned all too well during the rehearsal that it didn't take much to set her off -- one way or the other.

And Paul didn't need to aggravate his father today with any hint of tomfoolery. It felt like he was walking on eggshells around that man anyway, considering who Paul's date was tonight.

A date who looked really hot in that suit.

They were definitely going to need to find a back room before the end of the night.

Paul ended up tuning out most of the ceremony. He didn't need to hear the words to know what this day meant for two of the people he loved most in the world. He was so damn proud of his brother and so grateful for the very existence of Holly in the world, but if he thought about it too much, he'd be the one fighting tears.

He had always told himself that marriage didn't mean that much. It was just a ritual, a big show, one of those customs more honored in the breach than the observance and so forth. Of course, that was before he could have ever dreamed that he might want to stand where Steven did. That was before one beautiful blond man turned his life upside down.

As he stood next to Steven on that altar, Paul suddenly understood why anyone would want to go through a wedding -- would want the fuss and the planning and the tuxes. Because he found that he wanted to stand up in front of everyone he loved -- hell, in front of everyone in town -- and announce that he had found his other, his one, his missing piece. He wanted the ritual and the official seal, even. He wanted it to be real for everybody, not just real in his head.

Paul could hardly believe those thoughts ever flirted with his mind. Where was the firmly solo, firmly detached guy from earlier this year?

At that moment in the ceremony, as if he could read Paul's mind, Ace caught Paul's eye from the audience and winked.

Oh yeah. That guy from before? Long gone.

Paul was getting ahead of himself. Again. Always. For a few months, he and Ace had been basking in the newness and discovery of a real relationship. And Ace had been there with reassurances when he'd lost some long-time clients in the wake of his coming out. It had helped that his practice was fielding calls from a few new patients. Ace grumbled that far too many of them were hot guys who didn't appear to be in much pain.

Not that Paul was at all tempted. He knew exactly how good his life was, even without skipping ahead. Marriage was definitely a ways down the road -- and a couple of states away.

But for the first time in his life, he could see that road, and there was something to aim for. And there was someone to travel with along that road.

As the song was nearing its end, Paul felt warm hands snake around his waist. He sighed happily. He didn't need to turn around to know who was trying to sneak up on him.

Ace discreetly rubbed Paul's flank. "I love this song," he murmured into Paul's ear.

"This song is all Holly," Paul said. "If it were up to Steven, they'd be dancing to AC/DC right now."

Ace sighed mockingly. "Such a romantic."

"And accurate. I'm sure she does shake him all night long." Paul smiled and leaned back into Ace, bringing them as close together as he dared.

Across the dance floor, he caught his dad sending them a frown. Paul tamped down his frustration; the last thing the wedding reception needed was a family spat.

"I think we're venturing into PDA territory," Paul told Ace with a sigh. His dad was starting to come to terms with the bomb Paul dropped on him a few months ago, but, like his oldest son, it took baby steps to change. And physical evidence of homosexuality still unnerved Jack McDonnell.

"So, you're saying I shouldn't put my hands down your pants right now," Ace said, slowly sliding his hand down toward Paul's butt.

Paul nudged him and stepped away from the danger zone. "Saw you talking to my mom earlier," he said. "Looked suspiciously like conspiring."

"Your mom is a doll. I've never seen a woman hungrier for grandchildren. She was telling me about friends of hers whose son and daughter-in-law just adopted twins."

Paul turned to him with a start. Twins?

"It sounded like she was giving me a primer," Ace continued. "I thought I should be taking notes."

Paul struggled to keep his voice neutral. "Oh? Is that, um, something you're wanting? Soon?" He cleared his throat. "Twins, I mean?"

Ace laughed loud at Paul's failure to keep the alarm from his face. "Relax, big guy. Your mom is a lot like you, you know. Skipping way ahead."

Paul let out a breath he'd been holding. "For the record, I'm not anti-kid or anything."

That earned him a big smile. "Same here," Ace said.

The dancing had switched to mother/son and father/daughter, serenaded by Nat King Cole. Paul tracked his father's movement around the perimeter of the dance floor as Jack made his way over to where he and Ace were standing. He straightened himself unconsciously and stood taller.

Ace smiled at him with warm eyes. "Now, be a good boy," he murmured.

Paul rolled his eyes at Ace. His dad had met Ace last night for the first time at the rehearsal dinner, and it had gone about as well as he could have expected. Jack had been polite to Paul's boyfriend, but a little distant, like he was trying to remove himself from the temptation to say something about their way of life.

Ace kept counseling Paul on the need for patience, particularly with fathers. But, naturally, Paul wanted the big happy family right away. And he was damned if he was going to hide his real self now, not after everything he'd gone through to find it.

Paul's father reached out to shake both their hands as he approached. "That was a good speech you gave, son," he said. "I was a little worried you'd tell the story about the chainsaw and then I'd have to explain the real story to everyone."

Paul laughed. "I definitely considered it," he said. "But Holly gave me a strict list of acceptable topics."

"Such a smart girl," Ace smiled.

"I suppose this is the last one of these things I'll have to get all monkeyed up for," Jack said, taking a long pull on his beer. "I have to say, I won't miss the suit."

"I don't know about that, dad," Paul said. "It's a whole new world out there. Almost half of the country is treating homosexuals like real people and everything."

"I didn't say you weren't --" Jack broke off and huffed.

Ace nudged Paul with a small frown, and Paul read the unspoken message: Don't stir things with dad tonight. It was just so easy to revert to being a smartass teenager around his dad. It didn't help that McDonnell Senior was looking at him with that same hint of disapproval that had chased him through his adolescence.

Jack cleared his throat and decided to change the subject. "You boys are lucky, you know? You don't have to dance at all those slow songs like the rest of us."

"What are you saying, dad?" Paul snapped, unable to stop himself. "The fags aren't allowed to dance?"

Jack bristled visibly at Paul's choice of words and geared up to answer back.

"Actually, my dance card is already surprisingly full," Ace interjected brightly, trying to lighten the tension. "Between your wife and your new daughter-in-law, I doubt I'll lack for a partner on the floor."

Ace turned to smile at Paul, and Paul read a more insistent unspoken message: Don't pick a fight, dumbass.

"Besides," Ace continued, "this is Holly's night. We don't want to steal the spotlight from the bride."

Which we would, Paul thought. The sight of two handsome men dancing close among all the cousins and co-workers would be all that anyone talked about when they mentioned Steven's wedding. Although he doubted Holly would mind the gossip, particularly as she considered herself responsible for their successful relationship in the first place.

Jack seemed to warm to Ace a little after that. Like most people, he approved of those who agreed with him.

The father/daughter and mother/son dances had ended, and the tempo of the music picked up immediately. The youngest members of the dance party -- the flower girls and ring bearer and all the cousins' kids -- instantly took to the floor. Adults were harder to convince, however, so Holly made it her mission to recruit dancers.

She started with Ace.

"Come on!" she shouted, grabbing his hand and pulling him onto the floor. "Time for positive peer pressure!"

Paul watched as Ace joined all the bridal party out there -- the groomsmen were clinging closer to the bar area.

"She sure does like Ace," Jack remarked.

"Most people do, once they've met him," Paul said. He finished his glass and turned to his dad. "I hope you will someday, too."

Jack sighed loudly. "I don't dislike him, you know. It just seems like I keep running into landmines around you two these days."

"Those aren't his landmines, though. Those are all mine. I planted them in high school."

Jack gave a small grin. "I suppose so."

Paul let himself watch his partner tear up the dance floor for a long moment, as gratitude washed over him. His dad was trying, he knew that.

"So, how are you doing with all of this?" Paul kept the question vague, but both men knew what he was asking.

"Getting there, I guess," he grunted. "Your mother can't stop talking about it. I think her bridge club is jealous of her cosmopolitan gay son."

Paul barked a laugh. It figured that his mother would embrace this the way she did. Hell, anything for better gossip.

"You know, Mom was talking about having us for a visit," Paul said, tentative. "Both of us." He looked at his dad. "Would you be OK with that?"

Paul could see the discomfort bloom across Jack's face, and he rolled his eyes. "We wouldn't do it in my old bedroom or anything."

"Son! That's not --" Jack cleared his throat and took a deep breath. "Of course we'd love to have you visit. Both of you."

So that's what a baby step looked like from the other side. Halting, precarious, and ultimately successful.

Ace must have had gallons of patience to deal with my stupid steps.

"Besides," Jack continued, "the guys in my golf foursome have been complaining about back pain." He looked sideways at his son. "Maybe you could, you know," he trailed off.

Paul smiled and rolled his eyes. No such thing as a free lunch.

"You know, speaking of pimping us out, if you ask nicely, Ace might rearrange the house."

Jack grimaced. "I like things the way they are."

"That's what I thought, too," Paul said. "Before I met him. You'll be surprised how much better he can make things."

The music switched to a slow song, and Helen arrived to take Ace's arm. Holly darted over to demand a dance from Paul.

Paul happily wrapped his arms around his new sister-in-law, who was flushed and glowing.

"This is nice," she sighed. "Wedding, check. Paul and Ace, check. Sold Steven's house, check. I can relax."

"When do you guys sign all the house papers?"

"After the honeymoon."

"Speaking of that, has my mom asked about your ovulatory cycle yet?"

Holly blanched and missed her footing. "She'd do that?"

Paul laughed at how horrified she sounded. "Have you not met Helen McDonnell? She wants grandchildren, stat."

Holly huffed. "Well, you and Ace better get going on that, then."

CC_Ryder
CC_Ryder
587 Followers