Runner Girl Ch. 02

Story Info
Amy and John fin their first date confusing.
2.9k words
4.65
29.5k
28

Part 2 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 07/04/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DonnaBeck
DonnaBeck
1,051 Followers

Thank you Gaius Petronius for editing for me. There are 13 chapters in this series and they will post daily. Vote, comments, and emails sincerely appreciated.

*****

John watched Amy and Tracy exit the cab, and after greetings and introductions, the two couples were led to a table. John paused momentarily, giving himself an opportunity to fall behind and get a good look at Amy's backside, from her toned pale shoulders down to her nicely rounded bottom. Once seated, Amy and Tracy began talking about the writers group where they met. John listened as Amy encouraged Tracy to submit her writing, and he couldn't help but notice the way Amy's top lip curled up when she spoke. He found her even more attractive in person than her photo, so he told her so, but her perfunctory "Thank you" lacked luster. She must be shy, he concluded. As she continued chatting with Tracy, her passion for writing and teaching became apparent and she didn't seem to lack confidence or social skills. John realized that he mistakenly confused reserve for shyness, then something novel occurred to him; she isn't trying to impress me.

Although cordial, John couldn't shake the feeling of Amy being distracted, like she'd rather be somewhere else. He wasn't insulted, just curious. Where would Amy rather be? She had a voracious appetite and laughed about it good-naturedly, explaining that she had run eight miles that morning. He tried to ask her about her run, but she shrugged it off. Apparently this was a typical Saturday for her?

More conversation revealed that they were all transplants to Manhattan, with Amy hailing from Charlotte, North Carolina. Of course John and William were longtime friends from Chicago, and Tracy came from upstate. Later in the conversation she admitted that she hadn't been out at night for a very long time. Ah, an introvert, John pondered. A redhead, a southerner, and an introvert. He never really met introverts - they were so inaccessible - and there was no way he would cross paths with someone like Amy if it weren't for their mutual friend. But he realized that this would never go anywhere: they were too different. Not only could he sense that she was not interested in him, she seemed slightly annoyed. This awareness brought out a playful, almost obnoxiousness in him. The same feeling that caused him to relentlessly tease his sisters all through their teenage years.

As he relaxed into his playful side, he decided to make the most of the evening and not even consider a second date. The fact that he wasn't trying to impress her allowed him to let his guard down, as well as giving her a sort of exotic but short-lived appeal. "Would you like to go for a walk?" He blurted out spontaneously and surprised himself.

Amy looked at him thoughtfully and paused before speaking, "Well normally I would consider that a fantastic idea, but not in these shoes," she extended her leg to show the stiletto heels that he was already very much aware of. "But I do love being outdoors, especially while the weather is still mild," Amy added. John noticed a very slight twang to her speech.

"What about a rooftop bar?" William suggested, "The Press Room?"

"Oh, I love that idea," Tracy answered, and Amy nodded in agreement.

The four crammed into a cab to cross the four city blocks and John felt her leg pressed firmly against his during the ride, but there wasn't any sexual energy coming from either of them. He merely felt his own one-sided curiosity about this exotic animal in his presence.

The rooftop bar was crowded, but John slipped the host a big enough bill to obtain a table with a fantastic view. "Wow, we sure got lucky! Look at the skyline," Amy gushed. They ordered drinks, and Amy asked if anyone would like to share another appetizer. The woman sure had a healthy attitude and a lack of self-consciousness, which John found refreshing. But of course it further confirmed that she was not concerned with impressing him.

It was a crisp night with visible stars, as much as one could hope to see in a city of bright lights. Amy gazed up at the sky, then closed her eyes and inhaled deeply through her nose. Her shoulders relaxed, her nostrils flared, and John used the opportunity to study her. She wasn't the type of woman he was usually drawn to. She had a natural beauty, the type he imagined artists wanted to catch in a particular light, and he felt a sudden urge to take her photograph.

"What?" Amy asked when she noticed him staring, "Do I have food on my face?" she joked. She was eating long cut cucumbers dipped in hummus.

"No, but you do have some on your hand." He took her wrist, licked the dip off her fingers, and watched her eyes widen. A look of surprise passed over her, then a shift, something darker. He released her wrist and a smile curled up on one side of her mouth. She looked like she might say something, but the words never came. She just stared back at him with her lips slightly parted. Her expression was slightly amused and if she spoke, he expected to hear a playful, "How dare you!" in mock offense, so he grinned the way he always did when about to get in trouble for misbehaving. But she didn't speak. She continued to stare with a look that he hoped implied amusement.

John glanced over and saw William and Tracy were also staring at him, and he knew William was going to give him crap later. Sure enough, as soon as they dropped Amy off at her apartment, William laid into him, "Good God, John. What the hell was that?"

"She had hummus on her finger. I was just helping her out," John joked, and then added, "Seriously, William, I was just having a little fun. It's not like I'm going to ever see her again."

"What? You don't like her?" Tracy sat up straight in the cab, obviously surprised and disappointed.

"Oh, I didn't say that. She was really ... nice I guess. But maybe 'nice' isn't my thing?"

"Well isn't that the point?" William asked, "You said you were willing to be open-minded?"

"Of course I am, but the attraction wasn't there. She could hardly wait to get away from me."

"She's just out of practice," Tracy said, "If you like her, you should get to know her a little more. I really think she is worth getting to know. Besides, don't you think she's cute?" Tracy asked.

"No," John answered, "I think she's beautiful."

"Ah, thank God," William sighed, "I thought you'd lost your mind, but instead you're just lazy."

"Lazy? Ha! Do you realize I sold four properties in the last seven days? Do you call that lazy?"

"I didn't say you are lazy in all matters, but when it comes to women you only take what is handed to you. Good-god, John, do some work. You don't even know what to do with Amy. Licking her fingers..." William shook his head in disgust.

"She liked it. It was the only time she looked at me with any interest at all."

Tracy giggled, and admitted, "It was kind of hot. Actually, it was really hot. I'll find out tomorrow morning if you blew it."

* * * * *

Tracy looked at her phone when she woke up and said, "Uh-oh."

"What is it?" William asked.

"Look."

She showed him the text from Amy that read, "He sucked my fingers?!?!"

"Crap. That self-sabotaging ass." William shook his head, "Do you think this is salvageable? It is obvious why you like her; she is a breath of fresh air, a genuine person. Why does John have to be so cantankerous?"

Tracy smiled. She was touched that William cared about John enough to get frustrated over this. "I'll call her and see if I can do some damage control." Tracy made the call and said, "Hey Amy."

"He licked my finger!" Amy whispered into the phone.

"I know, and I'm sorry about that. It was...well, surprising."

"Yes. Yes it was," Amy spoke slowly as if choosing her words carefully, "I had a sex dream about him last night."

"You what?"

"A sex dream. It's ... kind of upsetting me. Hey, don't say anything to William, okay?"

"Um, okay," Tracy agreed. This would be difficult; she didn't usually keep secrets from William. "Why did the dream upset you? What happened?"

"Well, I thought I was doing a damn good job not falling under his spell, until he licked my fingers and sent an electric current tingling through my body. That man woke something up in me that I'd worked really hard to suppress."

"Wait? You liked it?"

"Wasn't that obvious? I mean it was rude, cocky, presumptuous,... and hot. And he knew it too, that ass."

"Oh my," Tracy laughed, "This is not what I expected to hear! I really thought you weren't attracted to him!"

"I am attracted and repulsed by him at the same time, so it's pretty much a wash."

"Why? Okay, first tell me what repulsed you."

"I guess 'repulsed' is a pretty strong word, but I could tell right away that he was the salesman type, obsequious and conceited, saying all the right things, oozing with charm. He seemed phony. His confidence is disarming. Plus there is something about him that reminds me of a big kid. That cocky grin and those damn dimples. Damn, those dimples."

"Totally repulsive," Tracy laughed, and she picked up her pen and jotted down the word as she asked, "Ob-see-quee-us?" She had no qualms about asking her English-teacher friend the meaning of a word and planned to add this one to her vocabulary.

"Obsequious; courteous in a way that is expected but also fawning and servile," Amy laughed and apologized, "I'm sorry, Tracy. I know he is a friend of yours and William's and ... damn I just wish he would have kept his mouth off my fingers. I did such a good job of resisting his charm up until that point."

"That bastard," Tracy said in mock seriousness just as William walked by and, hearing the word 'bastard,' assumed the worst and he shook his head in disgust. "Well, you told me what repulsed you. What did you like about him?"

Amy sighed, "What's not to like? Everything I hate is pretty much what I liked. His confidence, his panache, those green eyes, and ... dammit Tracy, you should have warned me about those dimples."

Tracy scribbled down 'panache' to look it up later, but didn't want to interrupt the conversation again. "What's wrong with being attracted to John? He's a really good guy, Amy. And yes, he is a good salesman, but ... well, that doesn't make him a phony."

"But it means he is a master at small talk and he knows what people want to hear. And then there is the fact that he is so attractive. I think I'm just too insecure to be with a guy like that anyway. I'd rather have an average-looking guy with a lot of other redeeming qualities."

"Hmmm." She wondered why it wasn't possible to have both, but that seemed like something Amy needed to work out for herself. "So, tell me about the dream?"

Amy laughed, "It was kind of vague and strange ... and I'm embarrassed to tell you this, but I ... I guess while I was dreaming my hands were wandering ... and ... I woke myself up with an orgasm."

Tracy laughed and backtracked, "Oh, I'm sorry, Amy! I'm not laughing at you. I'm just so relieved to know you are attracted to John. I thought he blew it."

"I'm not relieved! And I'm not sure I am attracted to him. It's just that ... I haven't had sex in a really long time, okay? And then this hot guy licks my fingers, and... I pretty much hate him right now."

"You'll get over it," Tracy assured her. "Hey listen, I'm going to go have breakfast with William, but I'll call you later."

"Okay. Hey, thanks, Tracy. I did have a good time last night. It's just kind of ... awkward for me, you know? But I appreciate you introducing us."

Tracy hung up the phone and went back to bed to join William, who was reading but had ear buds in to give her privacy. "Well?" he asked, looking up and removing the ear buds.

"I'm not going to divulge any information because I've been sworn to secrecy, but you need to call John today."

"Uh-oh. You don't think I've given him enough grief already?"

"Oh, you have, in fact. Now he needs encouragement. We have to get these two stubborn fools to see each other again."

"Really? So finger sucking on the first date is not a complete deal-breaker?"

"Apparently the right woman can be very turned on by oral stimulation of her appendages," Tracy said with lowered eyelids as she parted William's lips with her two first fingers.

* * * * *

Well, at least I have something new to talk about, Amy told herself as she walked into her therapist's office and took a seat. "I had a sex dream!" she blurted out as soon as she sat down, "And it was weird, but it wasn't scary."

Anne looked over her reading glasses and said, "Oh, this is good news, Amy. Your subconscious is healing."

"That's not all. I had an orgasm."

A wide smile spread across Anne's face. "Wow, this is wonderful news! I'm so pleased to hear this. And since then, any additional stirrings?"

Amy smiled a closed-mouthed smile and nodded. "I should have said 'orgasms' with an 's.' It's bad, Anne, he's awakened the monster. I had to run five miles on my rest day, just to release some frustration."

"Amy, do you realize you just referred to your sex drive as a 'monster'?"

"Oh, I didn't mean that. It was just a lazy word choice. I don't really think of my sex drive as a monster. I know it's healthy and natural and I am not scared of it." Amy paused before adding, "Although it is powerful and seems to just come with a force beyond my control. Like a hurricane. Yes, a hurricane. That would have been a better word."

Anne wrote something down on her notepad and asked without looking up, "And what were the 'weather conditions' that led to this 'hurricane'? You mentioned 'he'?"

Amy's shoulders shrugged as she looked up at the ceiling. "Oh, you're not going to believe this - so much has happened since I last saw you! I went out on a date, and I have another date this weekend! But not with the same guy, I really don't like either of them, but at least I'm getting out there and meeting new people, like you keep suggesting."

"When it rains it pours! So your weather analogy was a good one. Tell me about the date. Did you enjoy yourself?"

"Well ... yes and no. It was a double date with that woman Tracy I told you about, with her boyfriend and his best friend. But he was not my type."

"Well, what is your type, Amy? Give me an example of someone who is your type?"

"You know, someone like Miles." Amy paused. "Except not married, of course."

"And what is it about Miles, Amy? What draws you to him?"

Amy smiled and sat up straighter. "Well ... Miles is smart, and kind. He's a really fast runner, but extremely humble. He's probably the nicest guy I've met in New York, always helpful and a little bit protective over me." Amy stopped talking when she realized how that sounded.

"And he is unavailable."

"Yes," Amy agreed. "Unavailable."

"Have you ever considered that might be part of the attraction? Becoming fixated on someone you can't actually have to avoid intimacy?"

"Ugh," Amy rolled her eyes. "Plus I heard myself say 'protective.' I hadn't thought about that until I said it out loud. Hey, that reminds me; I had another anxiety attack this week, but it was different from the others, milder this time. I was running and this guy in my running club was catching up to me and when I heard him chasing me I got the same symptoms, but it felt more like normal adrenaline, and ... I don't know, I just thought I should tell you. It is the first time it was triggered while I was running and being chased, instead of feeling cornered or trapped."

"I imagine everyone gets a surge of adrenaline when racing."

"True. I just thought I should mention it. You did tell me to let you know if I had a panic attack and what triggered it."

"Of course. Now what about this upcoming date? A different fellow?"

"Oh yeah. The guy that was chasing me. I'm definitely not attracted to him, but it will be good practice, don't you think? I mean, I trust this guy. I see him every week, and all my running friends know him and know we have a date."

"I think this is very good practice, Amy. But did you ever tell your friend Tracy about what happened? It sounds like she would be a good candidate for the 'safe' person we talked about. That way you can text her and let her know you're okay, or that you got home safely. Wouldn't that help you enjoy the date more?"

Amy nodded. "Yes. Yes it would. But I'm not ready to tell her yet."

DonnaBeck
DonnaBeck
1,051 Followers