Running From Wolves Ch. 02

Story Info
Bolting upright, tears scrolled down Ashlynn's cheeks.
3.3k words
4.58
18.6k
28

Part 2 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/28/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bolting upright, tears scrolled down Ashlynn's cheeks. The dim morning light filtering in through fogging windows while white powder pressed an inch up the glass, had her clenching her eyelids closed for mercy. Cool sweat drenched her back as she rolled to the edge of her bed and rested her feet against the scratched wood floors. The rent was cheap, but this was not the way she saw herself living.

She had family once. Her parents were divorced, but supportive none the less. Her mother and father had both showed up to the gallery opening, and had enough self-control to be civil. She celebrated Thanksgiving every year with her father and his boyfriend, Christmas was with her mom. Now, even a letter or an email seemed to risky. This underworld she had fallen into, was unknown and she had no idea who was watching. She couldn't even call and explain; a picture from her high school yearbook showed up in a newsletter of missing person reports every once in a while, but she doubted anyone looked twice at her most days.

Rolling out of bed, her feet hit the beat-up floor resentfully. She couldn't go home, not while those monsters were still out there. This is your home now, she prompted, get it through your thick skull. Getting dressed for work, she pulled long blonde curls away from her face into a careless ponytail and wriggled into the same blue uniform dress she wore every day, she had more than enough cause to stay away from onlookers, and in diners you rarely made more than a 50 cent tip on a two dollar coffee.

She drew on a pair of tights and boots and prepared to face the snow. Glancing at the clock, she groaned and wiggled a toothbrush in her mouth a few times before gathered her purse and keys and jogging out the front door. An old familiar sense of responsibility kept her from remembering, that no matter how late she was, the world would keep turning.

***************************************

Climbing into his silver sports car, Hayden was feeling pretty damn grateful for the seat-warmers as revved the engine. He almost felt bad watching her shiver at the bus stop, but based on the look of fear she had when walking home last night, he had a feeling she wouldn't welcome help from a stranger. Besides, Blaise would be more than happy to warm her up, soon enough.

His phone vibrated, and he dragged it out of his pocket. "Hello," Hayden said, keeping a close eye on the girl. "I'm ten minutes out, Hayden," Blaise stated from the other end.

"Yeah, I'm at the bus stop a block away. She's heading to work, and I've got eyes on her Boss. she really is something special," Hayden said, giving the tiny blonde woman an appreciative gaze. Even dressed in a heavy coat, with her untamed hair looking ready to stage a rebellion, he could see what had attracted his boss to the girl. What he had yet to pin down, was why she had been untraceable up till now. She was certainly sloppy enough, he noted, as she sat on the empty bench, and one of her gloves slid out of her pocket onto the snow. She didn't even seem to notice as the bus pulled up and she hurried on.

"Believe me, I know. Keep me updated on your location."

The line went dead, and Hayden waited another long moment before following the bus. He followed until her watched her get off in front of an old run down diner. Remmy's Diner had seen its better days almost ten years ago, the paint cracked and peeling, and old neon, tacky on the front signs. Ashlynn's eyes were holding a staring contest with the ground as he pulled up into the nearly empty lot and watched her make her way inside.

Hayden texted Blaise the address, and weighed his options. Hunger tended to be an excellent motivator though, and as his stomach growled, he climbed out of the car, clicked the beeper and wandered into the diner. Ashlynn was just tying on her apron as he walked in.

*******************************************

If it weren't for her recent luck with men, Ashlynn would have to admit that this morning's newest client was quite easy on the eyes. Thick brown hair, wide jutting cheeks easing down into a scruffy jaw. It was the amused curiosity in those big brown eyes though that had her heart melting at 6 in the morning. Then there was the leather jacket surrounding the kind of biceps that used to leave her daydreaming.

"Hello, what can I get you?" Ashlynn surprised herself by smiling as she approached the new guy.

He smiled back easily. "Pancakes, eggs, hash browns, sausage, bacon, and maybe some fresh fruit if you have it. Oh, and coffee," Hayden offered, listing enough food to feed a platoon.

Smiling back easily enough, she nodded and clicked her pen back down. "Sure thing, handsome."

Spinning on her heels, she blushed like a school girl heading to the back. God, she wanted some of that in her life. Lord knew she hadn't seen much more than dime store romance novels in the way of action lately, and in her younger years she had never been in a drought this long. Besides, making yourself scream in ecstasy just never has the same heat. In other words, what she wouldn't do to see a little of what he was packing.

"God, if I was still young, what I wouldn't give for some of that," Marlene said, from the coffee pot behind the counter as Ashlynn posted the order in the window.

"What is a boy like that doing here?" she asked, trying to avoid the issue as she glanced over at her manager, an older woman, with a grinning but worn face.

The older lady smiled, the look that put Ashlynn at ease the first time she showed up looking for a job. She must have looked like a nervous wreck, but one look and Marlene had taken her under her wing like an injured baby bird. "One thing I've learned in all my years darin' is that you never question how you got lucky, only thank god that you did."

"Oh, I thank God every day. I thank God I found you," she said wrapping an arm around Marlene's shoulder. "But I have terrible taste in men and I don't trust yours," I said winking.

"I heard that," Gordon growled affectionately through the window. A big hulking man, red faced and sweating appeared in the window, smiling like a mob hit man. Lord only knew what Marlene had first seen in him, but they truly were an adorable couple, as she lit up, even after thirty-some-odd years of marriage.

"You know I love you," she said, grinning at him.

He smiled, and softened like putty, "I love you too, Muffin," he said turning back to the grill.

Ashlynn bustled around helping other customers, and when Hayden's food showed up, she took a deep breath before walking over with a tray. He grinned up at her as she made herself busy. No longer questioning what had enthralled Blaise all this time, he was almost considering making a pass at her. Even when she wasn't trying, there was something alluring about her.

"Anything else?" she asked, finally looking at him. He jolted, startled.

"Yeah, I have a friend on his way, could you drop off a cup of coffee?" he asked, offering a smile, trying to look casual.

*******************************************

Hadyn honestly had no idea what to expect from her when Blaise arrived, because since she had left, he had been a wreck. He had been away working for a neighboring pack, when everything had happened, and knew only what he had been told. From what he'd been told, Blaise had been the one to carry Ashlynn to the hospital. He'd paid her medical bills, and visited her bedside daily, but she had been severely hurt, and remained conscious for long enough that they thought she might not make it. Blaise rarely left the hospital, and otherwise managed pack business from the hospital waiting room.

She eventually awoke, and months passed as she went through recovery and rehabilitation, and he stubbornly kept to her bedside, even as she tried to push him away. Eventually he'd managed to convince her to finish her recovery with him, and he finally had his precious mate on pack lands.

For two months she had stayed, and healed. Hayden could not help, but wonder how far it had gone, but from the smell of her, he knew they hadn't mated. Regardless, she had more than broken the guy's heart. One morning he had woken up to find her gone. Nobody had seen her, anywhere.

Blaise had been a mess, snapping at people, starting fights, and his wolf had been out of control. The guy had not slept in months, wasn't eating; he was near a snapping point and Hayden was afraid for him. The stupid dogs in them, game them fierce power, but at a price: slaves to instincts and hormones. Blaise's ferocity had always been to his benefit, before this girl, and all because she happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now here he was; the better side of an inevitable outcome. Even as his senses jolted from the approaching aura of the pent-up alpha, Hayden understood why this girl had run. He wasn't negligent, and it certainly was not for lack of compassion. When the bell on the diner door rang, he had half a mind to run, and avoid seeing the inevitable crash of that pretty smile.

********************************************

Ashlynn felt him enter the building like a full on collision. Every nerve ending on her body lit on fire, lust rolled down her spine setting her shivering. She was trapped between the desperate need to run and the instinct that told her to let him take her where she stood.

"Ashlynn," he growled and her knees shook, struggling to hold her upright. When she turned, those eyes called up images of thick verdant forest and a wolf chasing her breathlessly down. Her knees quaked and Marlene hurried to her rescue. "Emily, sweetheart. Are you alright?" Marlene asked, patting her head.

"He came," she offered, shaking as she looked up and caught the gaze of the barely controlled wolf staring her down as if he might leap the counter.

*****************************************

Studying her for a long while, his eyes traced a face and frame he had dreamed of whenever he closed his eyes. Dreamed of the way her distinct curves rolled like the waves of her hair: wondering what she looked like bouncing. He dreamed of her dressed in red and pressed back against him without a second thought, her body poised and pleading for more than just his attention. Staring, he knew he wanted to study every inch of her in much closer detail, but he really could do without the audience. It took more self-control than he knew he had not to sling her over his shoulder and drag her out that door.

"Excuse me, but I would very much like to speak with your waitress," he said, tucking clenched fists into his leather jacket pockets, his thick roping shoulder muscles straining the fabric.

"Emily?" Marlene asked the shell shocked girl, but Ashlynn was already rising to her feet.

"Marlene, I'm sorry, would you excuse me for a moment," Ashlynn brushed the woman off, concern for her safety overwhelming her own weakness. As she traveled around the breakfast bar, the other five restaurant occupants stared as he followed her, watching for any signs she might run.

******************************************

Eyes lasered so hard to her back, Ashlynn could feel them like hands as she crossed her arms, refusing to turn, staring definitively at the brick wall of the alley. Even after the metal door sealed shut behind them, she stayed several firm steps away.

Still, he soon had his hands pressed to bricks on either side of her shoulders, as she stared at the wall. The spiced scent of his hot breath on her neck, her own breath was coming and going much faster than was safe. She could see his arms quivering as he inhaled her scent. She had to admit, the cinnamon and pine spice of his scent had her just as captivated.

"Mine," he growled against her crook of her neck, sending goosebumps shuddering down her arms.

"Blaise," she offered, a hundred ludicrous thoughts rushing through her head. his body radiated heat, warmer then a heating blanket, but she was crossing her legs trying to fight her own. Cautiously she remained still, hesitant; she knew enough not to test his self-control.Calming his wolf, she bared and exposed her neck, making herself defenseless, as she whispered, "Blaise, we need to talk, I need you to find a smidgeon of self-control."

"I would have some, if you would stop running and disappearing on me," he spat, shoving her away from him and backing up, shoving his hands into his pockets again.

Ashlynn turned back, staring down those rugged features. She could see the exhaustion attempting to hide under that fury and failing. Guilt ravaged her insides as she stared him down. "You don't look good, love," she whispered.

"Whose fault do you think that is?" he growled back.

"Hey now, I'm not the one who defines love by a willingness to sacrifice humanity for another. You told me you would wait for me to be ready, but you refused to listen when I told you I never would be. I almost died for you before I ever even knew your name, I don't want to die for you now." She shivered now in the chilly air, wrapping her arms around herself, as he took off his jacket and handed it to her. She stared at it for a long moment before reaching out and taking it, wrapping around her his warmth and scent.

She knew the same labored exhaustion was echoed on her features. He offered, "You're already half dead living in fear like this. Do you still have the nightmares?" he asked, softening for a moment, the man underneath it all slipping to the surface like an ocean pulling back foam.

"That's not your concern, Blaise. Whatever it is you think you're going to accomplish here, you're mistaken. I'm not coming back with you, I don't want any part of this."

Resentment surged, but before it could really spark, Blaise had her pushed up against the wall again his breath hot on her face. With only her heart beat as a warning, she found her lips pressed against his, and had no idea which of them had broken that last inch of space first.

Stealing her mouth, he had her head between his hands as he pressed against her, and to his own surprise, she lifted her hand to grip his hair, reveling in the feel of him. After a long moment, she caught herself, snapping her head to the side, but Blaise took the invitation to kiss his way along her bare neck. She groaned as wet warmth flooded her and for a brief moment, she caught herself wondering how long it would take to get that damn t-shirt off him. That thought was all it took to have her press her hands to that brick wall of a chest and push back.

Despite himself, he let her, grinning as he saw the flush in her cheeks as she breathed hard. "Would it really be so bad?" he asked, offering a charming grin. His wolf could smell her excitement.

Frowning she looked down, if she kept looking at him, she would want to cave. "I can't do this, Blaise," she said, and despite herself, she lost a sob as hot tears ran down her cheeks.

"Ashlynn, don't cry," he said, wrapping his arms around her and holding her tight as she shuddered. "Just tell me what to do. Don't you know I'd do anything to make you happy? Anything."

"Why couldn't you have been human? We could have met in that club, you could have taken me home. We would have parted like nothing ever happened. I'm human, Blaise, and danger hunts me down whenever I'm with you. I had damn vampires threatening me, Blaise, and where were you?"

Drawing away, he stared down at her. "Ash, I can't lose you."

She shook her head. "You already cost me my dreams and my career."

Regret unfurled in his gut as her words sank in. She hated him. It felt like being punched to the gut as he backed away. "I cannot leave you; I could never forgive myself."

Shrugging it off, she headed back towards the restaurant, to safety. "I was willing to give my body for a night on the dance floor, but I lost my heart. This pattern of losing, is a far cry from the way I saw my life going. I will not be the girl whose only goal in life is to bear your offspring and stand by your side. I'm damn stronger than that."

"I know that," he said, and she wasn't sure she heard him. Fists shaking, her feet were nailed to the ground.

"Goddess, when I saw you in that red dress that night, I knew you were fire, and I didn't care. You were in a coma for months after those stupid coffin freaks beat you, and you fought like hell. I would give anything to be the dog at your feet, and I have wolves looking to me for guidance. Everything about you breaks my nature. And I don't care," he growled, and the timbre of his voice said he meant every word.

Closing her eyes, she heard every footstep as he came up behind her, encasing her chest in his palms dragging her against the flat planes of his chest. "Ask anything of me, my love and I shall give it," he said, and she groaned as one of his hands traveled down her stomach, searching her curves for the hem of her skirt.

"Is this what you want?" he whispered in her ear as his hand eased up along her inner thigh, moisture painting a mural between her legs as she panted with need.

"Or this?" he called, drawing back and in an instant, he was several feet away.

"Damn you," she muttered, stalking towards him. He grinned, an instant later pressing her into the wall, as he once again pressed his mouth forcefully against hers.

Her legs found their way around the trunk of his torso, and he grinned against her mouth as his hand traveled the curve of her leg, seeking the warm heat at the center. He stopped just shy, at the juncture of her thigh, rubbing small circles with the ball of his thumb. Moaning she wriggled trying to get him where she wanted him.

Chuckling he drew back looking down into her ecstasy laden gaze and smiled. "All you had to do was ask," he offered, before sending a slick finger home, making her roll and moan as she felt his fingers stretching her open, gliding into her glove hard and fast. As he offered a third finger, she spiraled out of control, moaning a loud keeling sound as everything shattered, and she came apart, panting against him, holding herself up around his neck.

"Blaise," she groaned, coming up or down, or from wherever the hell she found herself. "We're in damn public you know?"

Lowering her to the ground and using the fingers he hadn't just plucked from her to tame her hair, he proceeded to hoist her up in his arms, and carry her to his car. "Are we really now? Because the only thing I see is you."

Sighing, she felt the hole in her armor, and she was almost damn certain, Blaise knew exactly how to fill it. Unfortunately, she only knew how to walk away when her legs were steady enough to carry her.