Running on Fumes Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Great," Kimmi said with little enthusiasm. "That'll cheer people up around the facility."

"Do they need cheering up?" Alex asked. "They shouldn't. They've got jobs, after all. With the labor pool so large these days most of the employees in the facility could be replaced in the blink of an eye." Alex looked at Kimmi guiltily. "I mean, people should be happy to be working, shouldn't they? So many people are being no-coded these days. If you lose a job at a place like ours your career is trashed. I hope that's what you tell the folks you counsel. Man. Good stable corporate jobs are better than gold or diamonds."

"Is that what they've been telling you on the top floor, Alex? Hold onto your job at all costs so you can have a quiet, comfortable time waiting to die after you retire? Is that what life is all about?" Kimmi asked Alex passionately.

"What bug's bitten your butt, Kimmi?" Alex asked. "You know corporate stability is the key to a meaningful life. You get enough credits for a great house, you get married, have children, go on vacations, and work to get the good things in life. And when you retire your personal and medical needs are taken care of. The companies even have corporate graveyards now for the long termers. The bodily remains are stored in a vault with a plaque describing your contributions to the company."

"When did you become a voice piece for the company?" Kimmi asked Alex, disturbed to hear her friend so entrenched in corporate goop.

"I'm not a voice piece," Alex said. "It's just the way things are these days. Work, kids, vacations, retirement, death."

"What about adventure, excitement, exploration, invention, love?" Kimmi asked.

"You get those on the vid screens and in holo-decks. Or you can go to sleep and dream about them."

The waiter was back. He mechanically presented the wine to Alex, poured a bit into a glass for Alex's approval. Alex Okayed the wine. The waiter poured two glasses.

"Are you ready to order, sir?"

"So much for feminism," Kimmi thought with a sigh as she took a long sip of the light, flavorful chardonnay.

"Yes," said Alex. I'll have the soy burrito with red beans and rice. Kimmi, what are you having?"

"I'll have the sea food Quesada. Oh, and can we have some guacamole for our chips, too, please?"

"Very well," said the droid.

Kimmi grabbed a few more chips and dunked them in the salsa

Alex lifted his glass towards Kimmi and sipped. He looked out over the terrace wall and felt an urge to shed his jacket and shoes and go running with Kimmi through the field down to the creek. He wanted to splash in the water like a child.

A cloud crossed the sun. Alex felt a sudden pang, a premonition of loss and sorrow, and then it was gone. The sun came back. Kimmi smiled at Alex.

"God, what a gorgeous day. Wouldn't it be fun if we could just throw off our work clothes and run down to the creek in our underwear?"

"Nah," Alex joked. "The creek's probably polluted. Those horses you saw drinking a few minutes ago are going to have stomach aches tonight."

"God, are you Mr. Dour or what?" Kimmi said, laughing. She sipped her wine and stretched her feet out under the table. "You know what I'd like? A year off to do what ever takes my fancy."

"You should marry a rich man, then, kiddo. You be able to do what ever you want while you raise his heirs."

"Oh, yuck. That's not what I mean. Don't you ever get the urge to throw away the trappings of civilization and live by your wits?"

"Hell no. I wouldn't survive a week out there without my job and my credits and my entertainments. You wouldn't either, Kimmi. Face it. You are not exactly a frontier woman."

"Oh Alex, there's more to life than jobs and kids and entertainment."

"You're right, of course, "Alex said with a leer. "There's sex."

"And that's it? Is that what mankind boils down to for you Alex? Lord. I've known you for years, Alex. You're not a corporate drone. Have you finally bought the whole package? I'm surprised at you. There's more to you than that."

"Here's our food, Kimmi. Let's not fight. It's a beautiful day. The wine's making me loquacious is all. I'm enjoying myself in a beautiful setting with a beautiful woman and life is good. Okay?"

"I guess." Kimmi was really disturbed by Alex's attitude. Where's his fighting spirit? she wondered. What have they done to his personality? Alex was always the champion, the first in the water at the swimming pool, the first up the tree. The corporation has squashed the life out of him.

Kimmi dug into her seafood plate, sipped her wine, ate a few chips, and thought about the conversation. There's got to be more to life than what Alex has boiled it down to. If not, what's the point?

"So when are you going to have the security alert?" Kimmi asked as she bit into her Quesada.

"Next Tuesday, 2:15 p.m., but don't tell anyone. We want to assess employee's reactions to a high level security call. Everyone will be evacuated, and the building will be sealed off as if there were a terrorist takeover of the entire complex. Black and yellows will be the only personnel allowed in the structure during the event."

"What about the medical unit?" The corporation's medical clinic was state of the art and touted as the wave of the future for medical care in the United States. It was really a small, experimental hospital which took up most of the top two floors of the primary building. Corporate employees received medical care at the unit. It had all of diagnostic equipment that most city hospitals lacked. It had beds for the truly sick, a pharmacy, and clinics for walk-in customers. It was clean, bright, and extremely efficient. And it cost the corporation a fraction of what traditional medical insurance would cost a corporation with the number of employees it had on site.

"The medical unit's exempt, of course. We couldn't evacuate the unit even if terrorists really took over the compound. The unit seals itself off and awaits direction from the CEO. In a worst case scenario, the unit would self destruct."

"You're kidding! I didn't know that," Kimmi said.

"Well, its not common knowledge, and don't spread it around. You know what I heard?" Alex lowered his voice, "if terrorists ever did get hold of the compound they would go straight for the hospital. It has all kinds of drugs and there are some very interesting experiments going on."

"What kind of experiments?" Kimmi asked, fascinated. Alex rarely spoke of this aspect of his job. Everyone was a little curious about what went on behind the scenes in the corporation. Alex was Kimmi's only insider.

Alex hedged a bit, not wanting to reveal his level of knowledge about the research. "Some metaphysical stuff. You know. Telepathy. And everyone on the planet's playing around with genetics so I guess there's some of that in the unit as well."

"Wow. What about telepathy?"

"They're looking into a way to channel information into the brain through dreams," Alex said very quietly. He looked over both shoulders as he spoke. "Can you imagine it? You're dreaming away and suddenly there's your boss telling you that he's going to fire you if you're late one more time?"

""You're kidding me!" Kimmi said, aghast. "That's horrible. Dreams are like sacred territory to me. No one should have access to another person's dreams."

"But its happening," Alex said. The wine was loosening his tongue more than it should. He wasn't authorized to talk to anyone about the dream work he'd been exposed to. "Have you ever been dreaming and then all of a sudden your dream takes a turn and it's like you're watching a movie instead of dreaming. Like there's a projector outside that's sending images onto the wall of your dream screen?"

"Yes," Kimmi said, slowly.

"That's what they're trying to achieve. They're trying to find a way to put images into the brain during sleep that would be like information on a monitor or a movie on a screen."

"Dear God," Kimmi said. "That's the rankest invasion of privacy I've ever heard of."

""No, Kimmi, don't you see the possibilities? Generals could get messages in their sleep that could win battles. Scientists could learn volumes while they sleep."

"Perverts could give us nightmares. Advertisers could put in commercials. NO WAY. I never want anyone to have access to my dreams. For in-put or out-put. Our dreams are the one thing that remains utterly personal to us in this God-awful, media infested society."

"You just don't understand. It would be a breakthrough of Olympic importance." Alex was fired up on the idea. He finished off his burrito and reached over the table to grab Kimmi's hand. Think of it. People could dream together. They could work on projects while they sleep. Down time would be up time. It could change the world."

"And we would never get any rest at all. No thank you. My dreams are my own. I don't want anyone screwing around in them. That's a territory that should not be explored." Kimmi said firmly. She divided the rest of the wine between the two glasses and finished her Quesada before she spoke again.

"Alex," Kimmi said, "It sounds like you're getting pretty chummy with the folks at the top of the mountain. What gives? Have you fallen into someone's good graces? Are you moving up the ladder?"

"Well, I don't want to be just a corporate security lackey all my life. I want to go places. Have a little clout. You know. Some of the guys have taken an interest in my ideas on security. It looks like I could go places in this corporation," Alex said cagily

Kimmi felt put out by that. What about me, she thought with a jolt of fear. My labor status is pending and Alex is going up the ladder. Hell. I have a master's degree. He has a high school diploma. But he also has brains, brawn and looks, Kimmi conceded in her assessment of the situation. He deserves to make it in the corporation. But I hope he doesn't lose himself during the climb. And what about us? Do I want there to be an us?

Kimmi started to speak hesitantly. "You know I check my labor status regularly, right, Alex?"

"Yeah," he responded. You're kind of obsessed about it."

"Well today it came up "status pending," Kimmi said. Do you know anything about that?"

"Status pending?" Alex was deeply disturbed but he didn't want to frighten Kimmi. "Maybe you're up for a promotion or an award. I don't know anything about it."

"No. If I was up for something good the computer would have alerted me. This is bad. I have a really bad feeling, "Kimmi said. You know the corporations are changing labor codes right and left. And with the labor glut, human resources has gotten kind of superfluous."

"You're not superfluous," Alex assured Kimmi. "It's gotta be a glitch in the system."

"I hope you're right," Kimmi said as she finished her wine.

"Do you want desert?" Alex asked.

Kimmi looked at her watch. 1:30 already. "No. Hell, I'm late as it is. What a day to be late. Status pending. I'd better get back and see if I still have a job." Kimmi tried to make it a joke but it fell flat.

"I'll pick up the tab this time," Alex said as he flagged the waiter. The wait-droid presented the bill and Alex pulled out his Chromium Krowe Credit Card, glad the waiter hadn't been human and expecting a tip.

Fifty decacredits for a light lunch. Not too much damage Kimmi thought.

Alex offered Kimmi his arm and they strolled back towards the tube. Kimmi noticed there were more street people begging for stray credits than she was used to seeing. A pretty oriental teenager ran up to her with a paper flower and asked for five credits. Kimmi smiled and clicked in ten credits. Poor kid looks like she hasn't eaten in a week. Kimmi thought. I wonder where she sleeps, how she survives.

"Kimmi, why do you let those people get to you?" Alex complained.

"She was hungry. We just spent 500 times more on lunch than I gave that child."

"Yeah, but she'll use it for 'Feel Good', or 'Promise." She won't buy food. She's a druggie."

"You don't know that. Not every no-coder is a junkie."

"Most of them are," Alex snarled.

So much for romance. Alex can really be a prick, sometimes Kimmi thought.

"When did you become so up tight, Alex," Kimmi wanted to know.

"I'm not up tight. Just realistic.

Kimmi decided to let the matter drop.

The tube was crowded on the way back. Half way through the ride a street actor entered the car and started a speech condemning pan-globalization. He talked about damage to the rain forests and exploitation of children. Kimmi listened, fascinated, and started to give the guy a couple of credits but Alex grabbed her hard and pulled her away from the man.

Kimmi was pissed off. When they got off the tube she turned on Alex. "How dare you treat me like that? I'll give credits to whoever I want. You don't own me. "

"You're acting like a hippy child," Alex retorted. "People live on the streets because they can't make it in society. They're defective. Yes, they have their place in society, but I don't have to support them. Neither do you."

"Kimmi wanted to slap him. This was a side of Alex she didn't care for. If making it in the corporation means you hand in your humanity, it's not worth it.

Alex tried to sooth Kimmi by pulling her towards him and kissing her hard. She pushed him away. "I don't like you very much right now, Alex. I'm late and I gotta get back to my cubicle. Call me tonight. Maybe we can work this out. I just don't know what's gotten into you."

"I don't know what's gotten into you, Kimmi. Are you going to join a no-code commune and save the planet?"

"Oh go screw yourself, Alex." Kimmi stormed off.

CHAPTER 2

When Kimmi got back to her cubicle there was an e-mail waiting for her. Please report to Mr. Windom upon your return from lunch. And there was a flag from her bank, which she didn't take the time to look at.

Kimmi was close to tears. Whenever she got mad she cried. It was an instinctual response. She felt like such a baby. She hated arguments. To her, fights were earth shattering experiences. She especially hated fighting with Alex. He was her ground board. They never fought. At least they'd never fought like this. And now a meeting with the Windbag. Great. This is just great. This is just what I need to top off a half a bottle of wine and a fight with Alex. I'm probably going to be reprimanded for being late.

Kimmi logged herself back on to the computer, leaving a message for Windom that she would see him in fifteen minutes. She pulled out the emergency toothbrush and tooth paste she kept in the office sure that Windbag would love to catch the smell of wine on her breath and send her to alcohol counseling for five years. She left her cubicle and made her way through the rabbit warren like office to the ladies room.

Compose yourself, Kimmi she chided herself. You can't go into windbag's office looking like a baby who's lost her lollipop. She gave herself a pep talk as she brushed her teeth. She washed her face and carefully re-applied lipstick, blush, mascara and eye shadow. She decided she looked okay and was ready for battle.

Somehow the world seemed to slow down as she walked from the ladies room, through the rabbit warren and into Windom's corner office. Later she could recall every face she saw as she made her walk, and every scent she smelled. Marian's God awful perfume; chicken nuggets, horrible microwave popcorn butter. The carpet felt like glue as she walked. Friends nodded to her as she passed. The air conditioner kicked on.

Kimmi walked into Windom's office with her head up and a counterfeit smile on her face. "So, Sol, what's up, I know I'm a little late back from lunch but I've got plenty of unused personal hours, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?"

Windom cleared his throat. He was an ugly man with a face like a bull dog and a big, bloated body. He was six foot five and weighed nearly three hundred pounds. He treated the employees in his section like serfs from the middle ages. He, of course, was the lord of the manner. Lard of the manner Kimmi thought meanly. He had to shop at "big men" stores, and he always picked out the ugliest attire he could find. And, he smelled. Kimmi had long ago concluded that Windom was just too obese to be able to reach into many of the cracks and crevices of his body with soap and water. Thus the smell. But he was a good administrator. Kimmi had some affection and respect for the man.

"Kimmi, I'm afraid the late lunch isn't the subject of today's meeting." He took a theatrical pause. "I'm not quite sure how to tell you this. You've always done your job well, as far as I can see. But the word's come down from the exec committee that we're cutting out some slots in human resources."

Oh Christ, this is it! Kimmi thought. "What do you mean you're cutting out some slots? How many slots? Whose slots?" Kimmi looked into Windom's dark grey eyes and she knew.

"Well," Windom said uncomfortably, "you and your unit. I'm sorry."

"US? Why us?! Is anyone else affected?

"It's not just you. It's every blue in the entire corporation. Rumor has it that human resources codes may be eliminated pan-globally."

"Oh, Jesus Christ! This is just too damn fantastic. How much time do we have Sol? Are they kicking us right out the door, or do we get to stay for a few miserable weeks and scramble for new codes or postings. Dear God, what am I gonna do? I've always been a blue code. I don't have any training or experience in any other color. And there's already a glut in the labor market. I'm dead. Pole axed." Kimmi was starting to shake, but she clamped down and put a stopper on her emotions. I'll cry later, when I'm alone. Now I have to think, and not react. Be calm, girl, chill

"The company's giving the standard two weeks. They're recommending that employees with personal and comp time accumulated use it during the two weeks."

"Oh, they'd like that, wouldn't they? Then they wouldn't have to compensate us for those hours after we leave. Oh no. I'm working every single day I have left and I'll tell the others to do the same. Fuck the exec committee. What a sleazy recommendation."

Kimmi was fired up now. She was really pissed off. What about health care? How long do we stay on the rolls for health coverage?"

"It ends when you leave, Kimmi. I'm sorry. That's the way it's done these days."

"What about our pension funds? What happens to them? Christ, I was going to be vested in five years. How soon do we get our pension money?"

"I don't know about that" Windom said with a sigh. I guess they'll give you your money when you ask for it."

"They'd better. Okay, so, I'm out of here in two weeks. What are you going to do without me?"

"I honestly don't know, "Windom said sadly, shaking his head. "Will you help me tell the others about the lay off?"

"Are you going to tell everyone today?" Kimmi asked. She closed her eyes and rubbed her temples. The wine had worn off and she was getting the beginning of a migraine. She felt like someone was sticking a knitting needle up through the back of her neck and across behind her left eye. This is going to be a whopper of a headache and my medicine's at home. I should just call it a day. Windom can do his own dirty work.

"Yeah, I thought I'd call a meeting in the large conference room. Break the news all at once. How many are there in your section?" Kimmi was the senior HR specialist and had some supervisory responsibilities.

"Five" Kimmi said. "With me there's six." Kimmi's headache was starting to make her nauseous.

"Uh, I don't think I can do this today, Sol," Kimmi said suddenly. I feel sick. I think I'd better go home, take some medicine, and put an ice pack on my head.