Running with Wolves Ch. 13

Story Info
Trysts and surprise bed partners.
10.3k words
4.81
19.8k
47

Part 14 of the 24 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 01/20/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Augustine? Where the hell do you think you are going?"

Augustine paused halfway through the living room on her way to the front door, her arm halfway into a t-shirt. She turned to see her mother walking towards her with a disapproving scowl on her face.

"Ben needs me. His Alpha is losing himself and may have to be put down. I need to be with my mate." The Den was currently on lockdown, so Augustine shouldn't have even been considering leaving their apartment, but she was willing to risk the Alpha's disproval.

Aries made a noise in the back of her throat. "Sweetheart, when are you going to give this up? It has gotten quite old."

Augustine gave her mother a puzzled look. "What are you talking about?"

Aries gave her oldest a look in return. "I think you know exactly what I am talking about, Augustine."

"No, Mom, I can honestly say that I have no idea what you are talking about."

Aries sat down on the nearest chair, turning her body slightly to face Augustine. "I think I finally understand what is going on with you. Why you have been acting so oddly these past few weeks."

Augustine was becoming impatient, but knew she was stuck until the conversation was over. "And that is?"

"You have been under a lot of stress these past few months; taking on responsibilities with the little ones while your father is away, all the extra training I asked Clay to give you, then me pushing you to help with the Roaming Guard while the treaties were being signed. There has been so much going on in your life right now and I haven't taken the time I should to spend with you, what with all the rest of my time being taken up with training the new Betas."

Augustine sat down in her own chair slowly, trying to understand what point her mother was trying to make. "I've been doing all right. The training is difficult but Clay says I'm doing well, and the little ones are well behaved for the most part. You have been busier, but you get that way every few years with new recruits coming of age. I understand that."

"Oh I know you do, sweetheart, but that's no excuse. You obviously need more one-on-one time with me or you wouldn't be crying out for attention like this."

It took a moment for everything to click into place, but once it did Augustine felt as if she had been punched in the gut. Her next words came out sounding strangled.

"You think... You think I'm claiming Ben as my mate, so that I can get more attention? That I'm pretending he is my mate?" Did her mother actually think she would do something like that? Fake her mating pull just so that she could get attention? Anger began to rise up inside Augustine's chest, her wolf rising up with it.

Aries reached out, patting Augustine's knee. "Oh, I don't believe you are doing it on purpose, sweetheart. I know you would never pull a stunt like that. It's not uncommon for young wolves like yourself to misinterpret heightened feelings as the mating pull, and you have been under so much stress; it's understandable you would be subconsciously seeking a way to find relief.

"I know some of this is my fault, Augustine, because of how hard I have been pushing you. It's just that both Sol and Cascade have talked to me about the potential they see in you for becoming the next Madam Alpha's Second. That's why we have been pushing you so hard. You have the mind and the strength for it. I'm sorry it's been so stressful on you. I'll ask Clay to back off some of your training and once everything settles again I will be sure to make more of an effort to spend quality time with you. So there is no need for you to continue trying to convince yourself and everyone else that that human is your mate."

"Mom, I'm not faking this." Augustine tried to defend her claim, but her mother just sighed, shaking her head.

"It may feel that way now, sweetheart, but that's just hormones and the excitement of someone new in the Den. Once he has been here for a while you will see that and move on to find your true mate. One that is strong enough to take his rightful place by your side as the next Alpha's Second." Aries stood from her chair, placing a hand on either side of her daughter's face. "Take some time to reflect on everything and you will see I am right. When you are ready, I will be here for you."

Looking thoughtful, Aries pulled back to place her hands on her hips. "Perhaps if you have sex with him you will realize your mistake?"

Augustine gasped. "What?"

"Yes, that would probably do the trick. Once you do your wolf will lose interest and you will realize this was all just you misinterpreting your wolf's sexual curiosity for a mating pull." Looking quite pleased with herself, Aries planted a kiss on Augustine's forehead. "Don't you worry: this will all work itself out in the end. Your future is so bright, my wonderful Augustine. I just could not fathom it being all taken away from you by Luna giving you a human for a mate. Have a good night, sweetheart. Don't go anywhere, we are still on lockdown." And with that Aries stepped away, heading towards the back of the apartment and into her bedroom.

As she sat fuming in the living room, Augustine felt panic and sorrow begin to replace the anger. How could this be happening? Her mother was wholeheartedly convinced that Ben was not actually her mate, and it was creating doubts in her head as well. Aries had never been wrong about anything the entire time Augustine was growing up, but her wolf was adamant about this. Ben was theirs. No one else would be to them what he was.

Feeling confused and scared, Augustine got up and ran out into the main hallway. She needed to see Ben. She needed to be sure her mother was wrong this one time. She had to be wrong!

The Den was a blur as Augustine ran through the hallways. She realized it was because of the tears that were threatening to spill over. She needed to keep it together. She was coming up on the Alpha Wing and seeing Ben while completely distraught wouldn't be a very good impression. She scrubbed her eyes with the back of her hand and took a deep breath, knocking gently on the thick wooden door.

"Augustine?" Pearl opened the Alpha Wing door. "The Den is still on lockdown. What are you doing out in the halls?"

Augustine gave a small smile and moved through the door. "Have you heard any news?"

Pearl took notice of Augustine's wrinkled baggy t-shirt and red eyes, but didn't say anything about it. "Dominic and Misty mated not too long ago. Sounds like it was the only way to get Dominic back under control. The others are gathered in their rooms." She was already walking down the hall. "It's a bit tense still, but Alpha Orion is calming everyone down." Augustine nodded and followed Pearl through the corridors.

As they walked down the halls, Augustine could already scent Ben. It was a soothing scent, like baking bread with a sweet undertone. Such a calm and warm scent compared to how explosive of a person he could be. The pull in her heart became stronger as they grew closer as she continued closer. Her wolf was trying her hardest to convince Augustine that it was proof they were Destined.

She made a compelling display, but even so, her mother's words echoed in the back of her mind. What if what she thought was the pull, was just her misinterpreting her wolf's sexual desire for the exotic male? Lark had been the last to take her, and it had done little to satisfy either side of her.

It had been during the last pack run. He had guided her away from the pack and mounted her in the woods with much enthusiasm, but neither Augustine nor her wolf had been impressed. He had been self-motivated; only seeking out his pleasure and assuming she was being satisfied in the process. His release had been... quicker than hers, and he had trotted off a happy male as she was left unfulfilled. Perhaps becoming worked up and then being left unsatisfied was causing her body and wolf to give her mixed signals?

Augustine mentally shook her head. Now was not the time for those thoughts. They were arriving at their destination and those feelings of doubt were only riling her wolf more. She needed to keep a level head.

Pearl knocked on the door to the sitting room. After a brief pause it opened to reveal Garrett, his grey eyes questioning but not unkind. That was what Augustine liked most about the oldest member of Dominic's pack; he was cautious, but that didn't mean he was suspicious. He could become an excellent intermediary between packs once he was integrated into the pack.

"Hey, Pearl. Augustine. What can we do for you?"

"Hello, Garrett." Augustine raised her hand in a little wave. "I heard what was happening. I just wanted to come give my support."

Garrett seemed to consider her words, then smiled and opened the door wider. Pearl said her goodbyes as Augustine entered the sitting room and left, heading back to her post by the main entrance to the wing.

Once inside Augustine immediately spotted Ben leaning up against the far wall. He looked surprised to see her but didn't say anything, instead continuing his somewhat heated conversation with Alpha Orion. She could smell Flint close by. From the sound of his breathing in the bedroom to the right he was sleeping soundly. Not surprising considering he was going through his transition after becoming one with his wolf only a few days prior. Jarod was rummaging around in the other bedroom, his breathing oddly labored.

"Last I heard, my orders were still in effect. You should still be in your Housing Wing." Augustine froze as Alpha Orion spoke from beside the fireplace, the ice in his glass of scotch clinking as he lifted it to his mouth. His bright hazel eyes watched her intently over the rim. She blushed from his directed gaze, diverting her own eyes to her bare feet.

"My apologies, Alpha."

Orion stepped away from the fire, coming over to lift Augustine's chin. His voice was stern, but his glance at Ben told her of understanding. "Don't allow it to happen again." She smiled broadly and nodded vigorously. He returned the smile and released her, turning his attention back to the two men in the room. "Dominic will not be brought back to the Den until he shifts back to his human form. It may take the night or a few days; I am guessing the latter. It will be good for those two to get to know one another better. Samantha will be back with the twins soon."

"What is all of this going to mean for us, Orion?" Garrett asked. "Something as big as this is bound to have consequences, for all of us."

exhaled slowly, placing a reassuring hand on the other man's shoulder. "Later. After Dominic comes back, my mate and I will sit and discus all of the changes to come but for tonight just be glad your friend and leader is still alive." With that, he said goodnight to everyone in the room and left.

Not long after the big Alpha ducked out of the room, there was a commotion down the hall. Only Augustine, with her heightened hearing, could pick it up at first, but soon Garrett and Ben were taking notice of the argument migrating towards them.

"What the hell?" Ben, who had been quiet since Orion had left the room, pushed off the far wall and went to lean out the open door. He looked worried, but didn't say anything as a very upset Samantha came flying into the room. Storm and Thunder were hot on her heels, but stopped abruptly when Ben placed himself in their path. Both males growled at him, their eyes flashing gold. Augustine was impressed to scent no fear coming off of Ben, but that didn't stop her from imputing her own disproval at their aggression with a growl of her own.

The twins ceased their growling. "This has nothing to do with you, Ben. Move aside."

"We only wish to speak to Samantha." Both Storm and Thunder looked over to the short, raven-haired mother, who was coming out the bedroom Flint was in after putting Penny to bed. It seemed she wanted to continue the conversation without the restriction of a baby in her arms.

Walking back to the entrance and firmly moved her pack member to the side with one hand, Samantha stood toe-to-toe with the two much larger wolves. "Now you listen and you listen good. I don't care what your motivations were. I don't care what justifications you had. You had no right to put Dominic's life in danger."

"Samantha, we thought-" Storm tried to interject.

"No!" Samantha raised her finger at both Betas. "Until you both have apologized to Dominic for your behavior, you can forget about coming to see me again."

Thunder looked distraught. "But that may be days from now."

"Well then I guess you have plenty of time to think about your actions and come up with a splendid apology." Samantha turned to walk away, but suddenly turned back. "Oh, and one other thing. If either of you ever, ever try and tell me who I can or cannot see, or what I can or cannot do with said people, I don't care what kind of freaky puppy love tug you have that I may or may not also be feeling. You can shove it up where the sun don't shine and leave me the hell alone." And with that she turned her back on them, gracefully flipping her hair as she did, and stormed off into the bedroom. There was a muffled "fucking dumbasses" as the door shut tightly behind her.

Ben watched her go, turned back to the two stunned wolves, and shrugged before closing the door in their faces.

Augustine stood dumbfounded off to the side. "She just..." Both men turned to look at her. "She just told off the two strongest Betas in my pack."

Garrett laughed. "Yeah well, that's our Blue for you."

Augustine's eyebrows came together. "Blue?" Was that some sort of odd nickname?

"Yeah. Samantha kinda has two different personalities. There's Samantha, who's sweet and quiet, even a bit insecure at times, then there's Blue. Blue is nothing but confident, has no problem sticking her nose into something even if it's none of her business, and puts up with no one's shit. Pearl got a brief introduction after we first got here. She only ever comes out in times of confrontation, or when Samantha has just had enough of someone's shit."

Oh. Well that cleared things up. Not. Augustine let it go. "But why Blue?" She sat down, listening intently to every word. She wanted to get to know these people who Ben called family. She had been for the most part ignored on her last visit and whether he was her mate or not, they were still going to become a part of her extended family. As she settled in, Jarod came walking out of the second bedroom, his breaths still sounding strange. She watched as he handed something to Ben, but was pulled back to the current conversation before she could see what it was.

Garrett scratched his stubbled chin, coming to also sit down on one of the tufted couches. "People started calling her that when she showed up in the city a few years back. She never told anyone her real name and was always wearing something blue. She says it was her favorite color; I think it was just some teen angst ritual. The name really stuck though when she beat the crap out a John who was trying to take advantage. She was wearing this ridiculous blue party dress and matching heals. Made a real spectacle out of it and I don't think I've ever see him since."

"She sounds formidable." Augustine instantly felt a kind of kinship with the other woman. She was weak at times, but when she decided enough was enough no one could stand in her way.

"She is." Ben spoke directly to Augustine for the first time that night. He wasn't looking at her though. He was fidgeting with some kind of small container and piece of plastic. After clicking the two pieces together, he handed it back to Jarod who seemed to be having an even harder time breathing. Not sure what was going on, Augustine watched as the dark skinned man came to sit in the chair next to hers, pulled the contraption in front of his lips and squeezed. She flinched as it hissed, a puff of peculiar smelling mist coming out as he breathed in. She continued to stare, fascinated, as he did it multiple times, sometimes even shaking it to get bigger puffs.

Jarod noticed her observing him and she watched as his cheeks became a few shades darker than the rest of his face. "What?"

"What is that?" Augustine pointed at the thing in his hand.

Jarod's eyebrows pulled together. "You mean this?" He motioned with his hand and she nodded. "It's an inhaler, for my asthma."

"Oh, I've heard of that before." Without thought, Augustine shifted to her knees and leaned over the arm of her couch, getting in close so that she could see the inhaler device up close. "It means you have a difficult time breathing sometimes, right? How does that thing help?" The darkness in Jarod's cheeks became more noticeable as she leaned forward. She caught him glancing down the gaping collar of her old shirt.

Augustine snuck a peek at Ben to see his reaction to the look. He seemed more tense, but otherwise didn't say anything.

"W-well, um it's, it's filled with medication. When I breathe it in, it helps lessen the inflammation down to my lungs."

"Wow, really? Can I see?" Augustine leaned farther forward, allowing her shirt to gape open further. Ben's folded arms tightened, his fists clenching. She could feel her wolf rise up in agitation as well. She was annoyed that her human side was enticing another male, especially right in front of their mate, but Augustine continued to push.

Her mother's words were still bouncing around her head. Her wolf was sure of the mating pull, but that could just be the animal needing to be satisfied. What if she was reading too much into these feelings? What if she was only seeing what she wanted to when it came to Ben, while in actuality it was just some roundabout way of telling her mother she didn't want to become the next Second? That doubt was making her reckless.

Poor Jarod was having a hard time breathing again, so he lifted the inhaler to his mouth and squeezed. The medicine sprayed out and Augustine could see it being drawn into his mouth as he breathed in. "Fascinating." She leaned forward again, lifting her hand to touch the inhaler in his hand.

Her hand was stopped halfway between herself and Jarod, Ben's hand having come out of nowhere and grasping her wrist tightly. Augustine gasped at the contact, a warmth radiating outward from where they were joined.

As quickly as he had done it, Ben released her arm and backed away. Looking at him, he looked startled and confused. They all stayed frozen until Ben broke the spell by turning and darting out of the room.

Augustine watched him leave, then sense came back to her. The Den was still on lockdown; no one was supposed to be wandering around until Alpha Orion gave the all clear. She was up shouting his name and following him out the door before the others could say anything.

Augustine exited the sitting room and immediately fell back on her training, centering herself and calling her wolf forward to help track their target. Ben's scent veered off to the left, deeper into the wing. She sighed in relief and began to follow. As long as he stayed in the Alpha Wing he wouldn't be chastised like she had been.

Her relief was short lived. As she rounded the last corner to a dead end, Ben's scent led into a supply closet at the end of the hall. He hadn't just left the Wing, as she had originally feared he would do, he had left the Den entirely and was now exposed on the roof!

Panicked, Augustine almost screamed out loud when she felt Alpha Orion open his link with her as well as the entire pack. 'The lockdown has been lifted. Thank you all for your obedience and understanding. Have a good night.' And he was gone.

A sigh of relief escaped Augustine as she opened the supply closet door and opened the secret hatch in the corner, revealing the hidden ladder leading to the roof. There had only been one other time she had even used one of these besides in drills, and it was not a memory she enjoyed reliving. One of her aunts on her father's side had died during a raid on their Den, instigated by a Mongrel Pack. They had been looking for bitches and supplies, and unfortunately her aunt along with some other females had been in the wrong place at the wrong time and were taken from the Den. She hadn't survived the rescue effort as the others had.