Ryan Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes. Yes, it was. I have a new contract, but I'll be working from the office here. I'd hope that we could smooth over our differences and start over," she said keenly aware that Micah was listening.

"We were a great team, Ryan and I don't want to lose your friendship, not to mention our personal relationship, over a misunderstanding. I realize now that you weren't ready for marriage, but that doesn't mean you won't ever be ready. I just jumped the gun."

Ryan leaned forward with his forearms on his desk, staring at Caroline while he drummed his fingers on the desktop.

"In what world was weeks of arguing off and on, culminating in the termination of their relationship, a misunderstanding?" he thought.

"Since you've been in town some weeks, you no doubt have heard that I'm involved with someone. Despite anything anyone might have told you to the contrary, I'm supremely happy with the woman in my life," he said.

"We had our time, Caroline, it's time for you to let go."

Carolyn opened her mouth to speak but, nothing came out.

Ryan took advantage of the opportunity.

"Even if I didn't have Dani, it would still be over between us. We were just not meant to be together for the long term. I'd hoped that the time in London would have been sufficient to convince you that I am not the man for you. Nothing is going to change my mind," Ryan stated emphatically.

Seeing that she was getting nowhere and not wanting to embarrass herself further in front of Micah, Caroline gave a heartfelt sigh and got up from her seat.

"I'm sorry to have bothered you Ryan. I just thought... never mind what I thought," she said putting that smile back on her face and smoothing her hair over her shoulder.

"It was good to see you again. I just hope we can still be friends. I missed that too. Nice seeing you too, Micah," She said turning her attention briefly to his brother.

Micah nodded, while Ryan got up from his seat and took Caroline's hand in his.

"Of course we're still friends, but you should understand that the dynamics of that friendship can't be the same as it was," he said breaking the contact.

"Yes, I understand," Caroline acknowledged.

"You'll be at Tony's party next week, won't you?" Micah asked.

"Yes, I'll be there," she answered with a nod.

Turning back to Ryan, she said, "Thanks for seeing me, Ryan."

"No problem and welcome home," he said.

When Ryan closed the door behind Caroline, he leaned back against it and dragged both of his hands down his face with a sigh.

"Man, I hate scenes like that. I hope Caroline has finally got it through her head that we're over," he said with feeling.

Grinning, Micah said, "I kind of enjoyed the show.

"Caroline is nothing, if not persistent. The message couldn't have been clearer, but I don't underestimate her. She's use to having her way. You catered to her during your relationship giving her everything that she wanted. She became so sure of herself and your feelings for her that she probably hadn't thought that her ultimatum was taking much of a chance."

"Yeah," Ryan acknowledged.

"We should have stayed friends; becoming lovers complicated things more than I expected. I should have known that we couldn't have a sexual relationship and maintain our friendship at the same level. Even now, there is no going back to the way it was before we got involved. I don't need the drama and I certainly won't let it affect my relationship with Dani."