Sabine Draws Gun on Walker

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh god, Julia shouted, a burst into real tears and both daughters were brushing at their eyes.

Gavin said, "That will do boy. It's too hard on the women."

"So you can fight tough and rough?"

"Yea Luke, if I have to. But real fighting messes you up so I don't do it. My body already has scarring I don't want."

"Well can we have a friendly?"

"If you promise not to lose your temper."

"Okay."

"Right, after we have finished here and clear away."

"The woman clear away in this house," Roland said.

Walker said well that was a bad deal. Men should display good manner. "Take your plate and coffee mug over to the sink Roland. Please."

Roland looked at his father who nodded. Roland did as requested.

"Now you Luke."

Luke grinned. "Yes boss."

Walker looked at Gavin and said it would be disrespectful to instruct the head of the household. He took his plate, mug and utensils to the bench, closely followed by Gavin with his.

The women looked at this without saying a word, the sisters smiling. Julia just sat with her mouth open.

On the porch Luke asked, "Anything goes like boxing, wrestling, judo and kick boxing?"

"Yeah."

"Right, but I won't put on my boots."

Walker danced around on the grass to loosen up. Luke grinned, standing hands on hips.

When he was ready Walker walked up to him and lightly smacked Luke across the cheek with the flat of his hand and had danced out of reach before Luke had finished saying, "What the fuck?

He bellowed and charged and stopped abruptly. "Oh yeah, that's what you wanted me to do."

Luke shaped up and threw two feints and then a heavier punch. Walker kicked Luke's hip, spinning the bigger man around and then kicked into the middle of his back, sending Luke sprawling. Thereafter there was no body contact because Luke wouldn't allow it, being much too fast. Luke, puffing, gave up and said, "Very impressive pal."

"Give me a shot," cried Roland. "Let me whack you with this broom handle."

"There is no need to force me to show my skill Roland."

"Ha, I'm much faster that Luke. Come and get me," he taunted.

Walker moved in and Roland flayed the handle, forcing Walker to jump, duck and sidestep at very fast speed and suddenly it was Walker who had the broomstick. He whacked Roland over both ears with it, hit both of Roland's elbows and wrists in almost a blur and then whacked Roland between the legs and as Roland doubled up grasping his balls. Then holding the broomstick in both hands Walker brought it down at speed and stopped half and inch short of the back Roland's neck. Walker then dropped the stick and grasping Roland said, "Are you all right? I tried not to hit your nuts too hard."

"Yes, god you could have killed me if I'd had a pick handle."

"Oh, there are moves to turn a broomstick into a lethal weapon Roland. No hard feelings."

"Nope," Roland said straightening up. "I'm okay mom. Isn't Walker amazing?"

"I find him most interesting," Julia said. Walker looked at Sabine and they exchanged knowing smiles.

"Right, you boys off to work," Gavin said. "I show Walker Texas Ranger around. I suppose from what you've said you want a job."

"Providing I stay in the house and sleep with Sabine."

"I'd be the laughing stock of my men."

"Then give me a job supervising road or bridge construction or put me to work in the design office."

"You have to have qualifications for that work."

"That's why our institution had senior boys placed in the military...to get qualifications."

"Oh yeah? What qualifications do you possess?"

"I'm registered as a professional engineer, the Amy trained me in civil engineering and I've had three years' fulltime experience building roads and bridges in the Middle East. My master's in engineering certificate is in my bag along with references."

Walker walked off to take a look at the yards from the cliff edge while everyone stared at him until breaking into stimulated chatter.

"Oh yes he's a very experienced engineer with snipers shooting at him and the way ahead of them mined and in mortar range," he heard Sabine lie for him. Walker grinned, having just seen her shocked face. No doubt before nightfall he'd get a roasting over his 'this and that' evasive comments.

CHAPTER 2

Gavin finished taking Walker on a tour of the barns containing vehicles, supplies, vehicle workshops, areas for bending steel and the like and they were about to head up the stairs to the offices when Julie called, "I brought your phone down Walker is case you need it."

They looked back just in time to see a terrible accident. A guy carrying a long length of timber just ahead of Julia turned to see who was talking and the end of the timber on his should caught Julia on the left side of her head, near her temple. She fell like a stone, without a sound.

"Julia," screamed Gavin, the yell echoing from the metal pit dug in the hill below the house. People came running for everywhere. Gavin raced towards Julia but Walker was already there, beating even the guy who'd dropped the piece of timer and turned to go to Julia's aid.

"Help me straighten her Gavin," Walker said calmly. "Don't touch the wound."

"But it's bleeding."

"Don't touch it. Someone get me the medical kit and an unopened bottle of water."

A guy ran off.

"Where's the nearest surgical hospital?"

"Surgical?" Gavin croaked.

Someone said Byron Falls.

"How far is that?"

About seventy-five miles."

"Fuck!"

"Someone call a chopper."

"The only operator in town is Fellows Helicopter Services. One machine is being rebuilt and the other two are stripped down because of fuel contamination -- my brother works there."

"Where is the nearest army post with choppers?"

"Fort Rex, forty-five miles due east."

"Someone phone for their number -- here use my phone," Walker said, picking up his phone and blowing off the dust. He got the dial tone for a young guy and went to attend Julia, noticing Gavin was stroking her and shaking.

Jaylene pushed through and said, "Oh god."

"Do you have clean hands?"

"Yes, was washing the breakfast pots when I heard dad's roar."

"Jaylene, you are our medic. Open one of those sterilized packs and hold two diagonal ends while I pour water on the dressing."

"Won't that further dilute..."

"Just listen and do it Jaylene. I've had field training for this sort of thing."

"Okay, good girl. Now lower it gently over the wound. Good, right on target."

"Oh god, mom, mom. Can you hear me?

"Yeah it's okay to talk to her but if she wakes keep her awake so she can answer medics if she can talk," Walker said. Jaylene apply two more compresses."

Sabine arrived and groaned, "Oh mom. What happened?"

"Jaylene, get Sabine to pour on the water like I did. Then bandage them were firmly but not overly tight. We don't want to drive in any splinters or debris. Really firmly should stop the blood flow."

"Here's Fort Rex sir," said the teenager." The guy is corporal Hayes."

"Thanks for your initiative son."

Walker took the phone. "This is an emergency corporal. Put me through to your commanding officer or acting commanding officer."

Walker gave his number and rank as Army Captain, retired to the next speaker. "We have an civilian emergency here on the outskirts of Crossroads City, eastern boundary. All three local choppers are unserviceable. The victim is my fiancées mother, head inquiries. Piece of flying wood. Heavy concussion expected. Skull could be indented at impact point. Need fast transport to Bryon Falls surgical."

"Right, oh right. Thank you colonel."

Walker turned and said to Gavin, "Chopper is practically airborne now as the crew has just touched down on exercise. Colonel Hayes said you did the new helipads for them."

"Oh yeah," Gavin said. "I wasn't thinking."

Walker yelled, "Someone fetch a stretcher and blankets. Mrs Reynolds will be in deep shock."

"I think the bleeding has stopped. Her breathing is extremely low."

"That's to be expected. All we want is for her to breath. You've done well Jaylene. Who put these jackets on her?"

"I got them off some men," Sabine said.

"Great. You two are good emergency nurses. Someone put all the outside lights on and I want someone up on the roof here with a torch to flash at the chopper."

"I'll do that."

"Great. Long burst on, short burst off, long on, short off. You won't blind the pilot but it will cut the time he takes looking for exactly where we are."

"Right captain."

"I'm retired."

"Not as far as I'm concerned captain."

As the guy ran off Walker realized it was the guy who'd been carrying the piece of wood. He'd be in deep shit with Gavin. Well accidents were accidents and the guy was facilitating Julia's speedy airlift. He'd defend the guy when Gavin came out of his shock and attempted to ensure the guy never worked again.

The chopper came into sight and came straight at them, acknowledging the blinks from the rooftop with two bursts from its searchlight.

"That chopper will out speed the local ones Gavin. That alone will make up lost time. The command at Fort Rex has taken this over as a military operation and has clearance already to land on the roof of the hospital. They will also have a civilian surgical team standing by. With the stretcher there is room for two from here to go. "You're going as you will be the first person Julia will ask for when she wakes. Choose the other person."

"You. Without you we would have been in a real mess."

"Thank you but no. Family Gavin."

"Gavin looked at his family sitting on their heels around their fallen and perhaps critically injured mother. The one who stood out was Jaylene, whispering into her mom's ear and gently stroking a cheek."

"Jaylene."

"Good."

"Here are the keys to my truck. You come by road with Sabine. The hospital has limited accommodation for family in the emergency department. I'll stay there perhaps with Jaylene. Get Sabine to book into the Forefront Hotel...we have an account running there. Here, take my card."

"Jaylene," Gavin called. "You're going on the chopper with your mother. Tell Sabine what you want her to bring; we'll follow by road."

An Army doctor rushed into the group, half-saluted to Walker and said "Captain" and hunching over Sabine checked her vitals quickly and then inserted a needled with a drip and a uniform female medic hurried through with a range of IV containers. The doctor selected one and Luke and Roland picked up the stretcher their mom had been placed on fifteen minutes earlier and followed the doctor to the helicopter. Jaylene following them diverted to hug and kiss Walker and sniffed a big thank you. Gavin slapped Walker on the shoulders and took Jaylene's hand.

Sabine took Walker's hand and he could feel the trembling. "What is her prognosis, do you know?"

"It's a rather severe blow. With head trauma nobody knows. I suspect there is in indentation and will require an operation to ease the pressure."

"Will she die?"

"She could die on the helicopter or we may be bringing her home within a week or so. Initial survival comes with the risk of secondary infection and blood-clotting."

"Oh god, I'm going to be sick."

"No you're not. Scamper to the house and pack an overnight bag for Jaylene and one for yourself. I'll follow as soon as the chopper lifts off."

"I can't bare to be by myself."

"Who's that guy over there looking like shit."

"Lenny, the guy who hit mom."

"He's bleeding in a way Sabine. He'll take you to the house."

"No."

"Lenny -- over here."

"Yes sir."

"It was a terrible accident but nevertheless an accident Lenny. Try to get your mind off it. Please run with Miss Reynolds to the house and keep talking to her as she goes. I'll be along in a minute. She's also upset and may blame you. But that will pass. We all have accidents and some of us cause them."

"Thank you sir."

"Off you go Sabine. Take Lenny's hand and you both run. It will help calm you."

As they ran off Walker said, "How the fuck would I know if running will do that?"

Walker went to Luke. "It's bad Luke, rather bad. All we can hope is she gets the best attention available at that hospital. Does it have access to a neurosurgeon?"

"Yeah, I heard the Army doctor tell dad the emergency department does."

"Thank god for that. Your dad has given me his keys and wants me to..."

"... to take Sabine? I know he told me when leaving me in charge here. Make sure Sabine takes her phone because she has our numbers."

"If hunches count for anything Luke my hunch is she's going to pull through. Sorry I can't offer anything better than that."

"Anything good is appreciated."

Walker slapped Luke on the back and when passing Roland said, "She's a tough cookie pal, get that chin up."

"It's the black Ford," Luke yelled and Walked waved as he broke into a run.

Walker gunned the motor down the back road that Sabine said was shorter but narrower and quite bumpy. He'd said faster was best for them.

Sabine said, "You have been of enormous assistance to our family -- you may even be responsible for saving our mother's life. An ambulance would have had to travel slowly because of her trauma."

"It's just a service Sabine. I'm trained to perform it."

"But you are not in the Army now buster; you did it for us because you like us."

"Yes, that's correct. But actually I am still in the Army because when I came out I elected to take an indefinite contract and stay in with the Army Reserve. I did that to be called up in civil emergencies or sudden national emergencies. It never thought it would be useful to me in other ways. When I called Fort Rex and gave my details my profile came up on screen. That's why the army doctor was able to recognize me; he probably had my picture and details as a printout and that explains why he half saluted me and called me captain out of courtesy."

"But you reinforced your chances of getting a favorable response and calling me your fiancée?"

"You would think about becoming my fiancée wouldn't you?"

Sabine placed her arm around Walker's neck. "After today, yes."

"Phew, thank you. That makes it only a tiny lie to the Army rather than a big one. Actually they will be rather pleased to be doing it because it is recorded as an act of community assistance and involvement in a threat to life. The fort will earn itself a tick and if your father makes a donation of some sort to the fort, then all the better. Although your family is really too far away to be termed community, the fact that his operation has done work for the fort establishes a special relationship."

"This is becoming too technical for me. You slept with me for a whole night without touching me, as I requested, and that was very honorable of you. Tonight you will have permission to plunder me, providing mom hasn't taken a turn for the worst."

"That sounds lovely but let's wait and see."

"We have about five miles and then this highway connects with the main route. You have made really excellent time without scaring me to death."

"Thank you. That's the purpose of having an objective and achieving it without harming your own troops, friendly civilians or your vehicle."

"I see. Well done so far captain."

Sabine saw the incoming call was from her father so put her phone on speaker.

"Hi dad, my phone is on speaker."

"Where are you?"

"Just over a mile to the main route at Betham's Crossing. We took the short route."

"Well done, you've moved like grease lightening. You mother is still under examination. They are almost certain an operation will not be necessary. However I was told anything could happen. She regained conscious when being loaded on to the gurney and vomited three times before being unloaded in the emergency department. She couldn't seem to speak and one eye was dilated but apparently other signs were good. She has concussion and they think the wound is superficial and the depression you noticed Walker the surgeon reported as minor. He believes the force of the blow will almost certainly have caused brain bruising. He calls that 'to be expected' and is not a worry at this stage providing no hematoma develops or internal infection takes hold. That infection is unlikely as so far as he can determine because what he called the 'dura mater' has not been breached."

Walker said, "Well that's something in Julia's favor."

"Yes, I'm glad you are not all that far away now. Julia's condition is described as critical but don't be alarmed, as that is common for patients with head trauma. The medics just want to see signs of her condition improving within the next couple of hours."

"How are you coping dad?"

"Surprisingly well now but I was in a bit of a mess when I first saw her on the ground and that blood. I thought she was dying. It shocked me. You performed a magnificent leadership role Walker. I have been told getting Julie here fast was the key because even minor head injuries can blow up into major problems if left or there is delay in treatment."

"He's wonderful dad, just wonderful and who thought the army would be of assistance to us. I can see the crossing coming up. Oh dad, now don't get upset. Could you please call Lenny and say you know it was an accident and tell him about mom. Walker made me go with Lenny up to the house, telling Lenny it was an accident but I had yet to accept that. I wanted to murder Lenny but as we went fast up to the house I found the poor guy was twisted in anxiety. He had difficulty speaking and not because we had loped up the hill. He said he wasn't worried about being sacked; he was worried about mom because she accepted he was not as quick on his feet or in his head as the other men but she always had a kind word for him. He then broke down and cried dad and I had to hug him. It wasn't careless dad; it was an involuntary action. I know that now. Please call him dad. Someone will take a phone to him when you call."

"I'll think about it."

"Thank you dad. I know you'll do better than that."

"Bye Gavin," said Walker. "Don't let this upset you but do the right thing. I think Julia would want you to do it."

"Oh brother, do you know how to twist a knife. Wait for the lights at the crossing."

Walker turned on to the highway and was quickly over the speed limit but taking care and attempting not to alarm other motorists with maneuvers that could results in calls to the police. They arrived at the hospital without mishap or having seen any police cars. They entered the emergency department and Jaylene came running at them and threw herself at Walker who caught her.

"Oh you wonderful, wonderful man in saving our mom's life. I heard the surgeon say as he looked at her, 'It's deep trauma but fortunately she's with us early. The next two hours are critical."

"Jaylene thank you but please calm down. That fast helicopter trip was the key."

"That's bullshit, that's bullshit," Jaylene said, hammering Walker with her fists. "Without you there would have been no helicopter."

Walker grabbed Jaylene by her wrists and pulled her against him. Turning to the dismayed Sabine he said, "I'll calm her. Go to your father and if they do allow you in with your mom whisper her things about you being her first born. I understand it's a technique that sometimes works with traumatized patients."

Sabine looked at him with dilated eyes, kissed his cheek when he learned forward to her. She hurried over to the reception desk.

"Jaylene, I'm going to be tough with you verbally, rather than slap you. Your mom might die in the next couple of hours if things go horribly wrong, then again she may live for another forty years. The one thing we do know is there is nothing we can do about it and the doctors cannot do terribly much apart from drain off fluid and fight infection if it takes hold or, at the worst case scenario, go in and try to stop internal bleeding. But your dad told us there doesn't appear to be a depressed fracture and therefore nothing apparent to increase the chances of internal infection. She regained consciousness and vomited so doesn't appear to be in a coma and your dad said nothing about an induced coma, so to me it's looking good. So we just wait. We cannot intervene. We have to accept that."