Sable and The Supers Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He had taken advantage of comic-book physics to simply attach solid reinforced-concrete plates to the outside, where normally he would have made each one an extension of the floor and braced them properly.

When Gorgora arrived, the physics reverted to normal and the construction failed.

When the pile of platforms hit the ground, they went straight through a thin crust and kept on going.

The Engineer hit a button on his dashboard. With a roar, a conventional controlled demolition went off in the tower, bringing it down through the same hole in the ground.

At the same time, a ring of giant explosives all around the edge of the neatly circular city (he had originally intended a dome) went off, the thunder and blast wave muted but still aggressive inside his sealed craft, earth and concrete and steel fountaining into the air before the entire city, with a titanic groan, began falling.

When he had mapped out the perimeter, believing you should design everything before turning the first sod, he had, on a whim, built a vast cavern of the same size underneath the city.

He had used it for construction, and experiments, and storing his more unnecessary creations. But he had built it properly, and it had withstood Gorgora's influence until now, when explosives had sheared all supporting columns. Now,the city was falling into it.

He guided the craft higher and outwards as dust billowed upwards, relying on non-visible-light systems as he was engulfed, the craft's systems fighting to maintain equilibrium against nearly cyclonic conditions.

The falling seemed to go on for much longer than it actually did, and when it had stopped there was a roar of a different sort as giant earth-moving equipment at the edge of the city begin shovelling in dirt, rubble, rocks and waste from the city's refuge dump and from all the material previously excavated from the cavern, which he had turned into a small circular mountain range.

Still, no sensors could detect any humanoid figure, or even anything except rubble rising from the destruction.

"That's impressive."

His head whipped sideways so fast a human would have broken his neck.

Sable had found strips of fabric to wrap around her breasts and her hips, giving her a jungle-women look, and was caked in dust.

He stared at her, speechless. She gave him a wan smile. "Aren't you pleased to see me?"

"I saw you get captured!" he burst out. "I thought you were lost!"

"I was," she replied, so bleakly he was frozen into silence. "When she left, I came back. She took my mind away, but I guess those of us who are 'aware', as you put it, have reserves that are immune even to her.

"You remember how quickly I recovered from you? Well, luckily I recovered from her, as well."

"Jesus," he said softly.

"Do you think that'll hold her?"

The Engineer went chalk-white. "How did you evade my sensors?" he gasped.

Sable smiled wanly. "I cloaked myself. I found it it absorbs all wavelengths, not just visible light. I guess your detectors weren't looking for everything. Can Gorgora evade them?"

"They're all proper physics," the Engineer said, not reassured yet but slowly beginning to relax.

"So: Think it'll hold her?"

The Engineer laughed bitterly.

"The only other thing I can think of is shooting her into the sun. When I find somewhere to build again, my new city will have anti-aircraft defences ringing it. And they will be firing thermonuclear warheads."

"What about the people?" she asked, abruptly.

His face went very tight. "All public transport evacuated immediately to outside the city limits," he said in a voice that was so rigidly controlled the words almost shattered like glass.

"All taxis and personal cars did the same. I didn't have time for anything else. This city became inhabited when the buildings were finished. Nobody moved in, they were just there. I'm hoping they're sprites, not souls."

"NPCs," Sable said softly, staring at the billowing cloud of dust where the city used to stand.

"What?" Then he got the reference. "Non-player characters. Yes. I don't know about the Supers and Villains, I really don't."

"This is more humane." This time, it was her voice that came out brittle enough to shatter.

He wisely left that alone.

The dust would take hours to settle. After another five minutes, with no warning from any sensor, he turned the craft and headed at speed for the other side of a small range of hills just beyond the city limits, a range that had been there when he moved in.

There were two craft, sitting next to each other. One was the size of a business jet, the other was the size of an aircraft carrier and looked as menacing.

She raised her eyebrows but said nothing until they had docked on the roof of the larger vessel and climbed out onto its skin.

"What will you do?" he finally asked. "I'm heading south, rebuilding. This vessel holds my household staff, my most frequent customers and the complete families of my most valuable associates. All sprites, but they'll keep me sane."

She hesitated, a little longer than was comfortable. "I guess I'll travel," she said. "I have to see more of this world. I need to be alone for a bit, I think."

He had been expecting that, but it still deflated him. He held out a strangely ordinary-looking key. "Take it," he said, with a nod of his head to the smaller craft.

She stared at him.

"It's fully automatic, voice controlled, an AI as intelligent and loyal as comic-book physics can make it, fuel should last forever, it's got maps of everywhere I've ever been, it's got a full Wardrobe with no restrictions—I mean none, I know you hate that costume you designed—and it should never need repair because it can do it itself. She's yours, and you have my absolute promise I have disabled all internal monitoring. It's only connection to my ship will be a radio that's a bit more reliable and accurate than most."

Speechless, she took the key.

"I'll miss you," he said quietly, half turning away. "And I'm sorry for what I did to you. I forgot what it was like, having another human around."

For a split second she almost said No, I'll stay with you, we need to stick together. But she knew it would be a bad idea, for a while yet.

"Will that ship know where you're going?" she finally asked.

He nodded, then cleared his throat. "Not until I give it permission. And vice versa. Last-minute modification. I don't want to be followed unless I know who's following me." He gave her a watery, apologetic smile. "You understand."

They parted awkwardly and she rushed inside the small craft, hating to see the last of the only other Aware (Jesus, she felt the capitals slot intoplace) Super she knew of, but not comfortable sticking around any longer.

He was going South, was he?

She walked into the cockpit, cleared her throat and self-consciously said "Maps, please."

"Hello, Sable," a feminine voice dripping in seduction said as the large central screen lit up with a simple map, centred on the city.

"Can you be male?" She asked tightly, "and neutral?"

"Of course," the voice said, now warm, friendly, masculine but a butler not a gigolo.

"And English."

"As you wish, Sable."

"Thank you." She stepped up to the display. "Zoom out, please."

He had come from the East, leaving a large area to the south and west unexplored. She tapped the map. "Take us here, for a start."

"Certainly, Sable." There was a gentle hum, the floor tilted. That appeared to be the only signs of movement.

She walked through the spine of the ship, noting where everything was. Ah, bathroom. Excellent.

She was entering, untying her makeshift clothing, when a door at the end of the corridor caught her eye. It had a very definite look about it.

A small sign said "Gymnasium. Select purpose before entering."

Purpose? A suspicion flared inside her, and she opened the discrete, stylish (everything about the ship was discrete, stylish and slightly baroque) control panel next to the door.

She couldn't help smiling, when she read the buttons. So he had put some of his toys on board, as well. Maybe she could forgive him, after all. After a bath.