Sacrifice Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
pandarus
pandarus
2,696 Followers

At least Demitri was there. Though, she thought, narrowing her eyes at him, it's probably his fault they avoided her. Then again, this might be better than the alternative if these men were anything like the one Demitri had originally threatened. Either way, what was done was done. No use moping too much about it.

He sat with the men, talking with the captain, but met her eye when she'd glanced back toward them a second time and beckoned her over. She steeled herself and obeyed, skirting the men to kneel by him, keeping her hands and eyes to herself. She had no desire to intrude or make anyone feel anymore uncomfortable than they already did. He nudged her arm and she met his questioning eyes as he passed her a bowl of what looked like baked fish on...something. If it was the same something as the day before, then she knew if tasted more appetizing than it looked. Still, her stomach lurched slightly. It had been doing that, but she attributed it to a mild case of sea-sickness. It wasn't as if she were used to this form of travel.

She thanked him and gave him what she knew was a self-indulgently pathetic smile...but she couldn't help herself. She was feeling a little sorry for herself. And if she was going to be really honest about it, she thought as she rose and left the group to sit apart, her increasing anxiety wasn't entirely related to the ship and its crew. It was more closely linked to where they were going and their increasing proximity to that place...whatever that place may be. The fact that she had no idea where they were headed, or what to expect, wasn't not helping matters much either.

What little she'd gotten out of Demitri was not encouraging...and as usual, nothing at all could be gotten out of Thelios. Slowly the excitement and the eagerness the trip had bred, was leeching out and being replaced. First by the fleeting doubts: had she brought the right clothes? Should she be silent and keep out of the way...or behave as a proper servant would and oversee her own masters comfort. Her intentions were the later...but she was almost more inclined to the former...particularly if her reception from the other servants looked anything like this one.

Thus far in her new role as Thelios's servant, she'd managed to translate most of what she had learned in preparation for marriage quite easily, especially considering no one involved was all that particular about what she did or didn't do. But this was another ball of wax entirely. This was different...wasn't it? There would be others like him, and their servants...and women.

She glared at her untouched fish. And then, there was that. What she expected in that regard she didn't know, but it was by far the one aspect of this whole 'adventure' which obviously caused her apprehension to ratchet itself up to pure dread. At least until she could talk herself back down into a more rational state. Usually with a healthy dose of logic and an even healthier dose denial. When in doubt, pretend the issue didn't exist. Pretend there wasn't a nest full of beautiful vipers against whom she would have to stand and be judged...and invariably be found wanting.

Her stomach sloshed and she swallowed hard to keep any of its contents from climbing her throat. Her fingers found her belly, rubbing to sooth the discomfort. It did little to help, and only served to remind her of that other issue she had been trying valiantly to ignore.

It had officially been more than two months. Two months and counting. Her belly was still as flat as it had ever been, with just that slight, gentle slope...but for how long? She wanted to deny it...but she couldn't. The more she considered it, the more she knew. She just knew. But what to do about it, that she didn't know.

It was one thing to consider the possibility, but to face the reality was something totally different. She had heard of slaves who'd accidentally become pregnant. Some were allowed to keep them and they inherited their mothers slavery, but there were other, darker stories as well. About how they were hidden away and the child taken from them and who knows what done with it. Sold perhaps...or worse. Or how the women were cast out, or given away to another if the wife had been embarrassed.

Her eyes stung and she inhaled sharply to keep herself in check. She shouldn't think those things. Thelios had no wife to be vindictive, and he couldn't be so cruel as to...No. She sucked in a deep breath and banished the thoughts. Pushing everything from her mind. She had to be rational. She merely had to discover his stance on that matter, and once that was known, she could then work out how she would deal with the situation. She would deal with it Then, not angst about it Now. Now she would focus on her duties...once she figured out what those were supposed to be.

A footfall beside her startled her from her thoughts, causing her head to jerk toward the shadow which fell over her and in the process sent a nasty jolt up her neck. She winced up at Demitri plaintively. He chuckled. "Scare ya?"

She made a noncommittal sound and went back to moving her fish around the bowl. He took it as an invitation and made himself comfortable on a crate next to her. They sat in a mostly comfortable silence until she broke it by setting her bowl before her and looking up at Demitri with a frown.

"Demitri?"

"Yes luv?"

"What am I expected to do when we get there?"

"Do?"

"Yes, do. My duties."

He shrugged carelessly. "I don't know. I rarely follow him to these places myself."

"Fat lot of help you are." She groused, glaring at her bowl. That only made him chuckle and she was hardly in the mood. "Well," she started again with a sigh, "what do You do?"

He shrugged again. "Not much. Mostly keep to myself, sometimes talk to people and keep my ear out for interesting news."

"What about the master? You don't do anything for him?"

"Sure, I guess. If he needs me too."

"Of for the love of—honestly Demitri, why do I always feel like I'm pulling teeth with you two. What?! What do you do?" She realized her voice had raised somewhat and that a few of the men were casting weary glances in her direction. Demitri had a bemused look on his own. She shrunk slightly and tried not to pout.

"What in Hades has your goat, eh? Red tide or something?"

She parted then shut her lips, suspecting that if she didn't she'd likely shrill at him like an overwrought harpy. So she glared at him instead, fighting the flush which was creeping across her collar. Eventually she managed to swallow most of her irritation and squeezed out a few words.

"No. Nothing has my goat, I merely wish to know what will be expected of me when we arrive so that I can be prepared." She gritted out tightly, counting slowly back from 10 as she waited for the inevitably vague response.

He frowned back at her then slid down off the crate to face her on the deck, leaning in to close the conversation to the others. "Seriously woman...what's wrong. You've been jumpy for a couple days now, is it the sea? You getting sick?"

"Nothing!" She snapped, then closed her eyes with an internal reprimand. He was only being concerned, she needed to calm down. "I'm sorry...nothing," she repeated softly, "I'm just a little anxious about this trip and what's expected of me. If I knew more about what to expect, I would be more comfortable." He looked at her a moment, then nodded.

"Well, Ok. Look, I honestly don't know what he's expecting, but I doubt it's much."

She cocked a brow at that. "I hope that's not a comment on my abilities." She murmured dryly.

He grinned again. "Hardly. You know what I mean. He doesn't need much attention, and he ain't fussy like some other masters might be, so I wouldn't worry about it. Way I see it, he's taking you, not someone else, so just...be you...and quit your damned fretting."

"Be me? That's you brilliant advice?"

"Don't know what to say girl. If you can't manage that, you've got bigger issues to worry about."

She rolled her eyes, but sighed in defeat just the same. "I know what you're saying Demitri, but I guess I also know it's not going to be like it is at home. There it's just the three of us, and here there will be so very many others to deal with. Most households have strict hierarchies and I don't want to mistake my position in front of these people. It would be embarrassing for me, and worse yet, I might embarrass Th-our master." She bit her lip at the near slip. It had been re-emphasized to her by Thelios that she wasn't to use his name, lest it be overheard. She rarely used it as it was...and when she did it was when they were alone together. But occasionally it threatened to slip out...as it had just had.

He nodded in return, not acknowledging the slip if he had noticed it. "I catch your meaning as well. But I haven't an answer for you other than that you're best to stick with what you're used to. You were a lady, weren't you? Fine born and all that?" He asked, suddenly, it seemed to her, shifting topics. She nodded uncertainly.

"I was born into a wealthy family whose name was of some repute, yes."

"Don't get all stuffy on me now." She smiled despite herself. "Any rate, you were born a lady, and from what I've seen you're more or less lady of the house...or cave rather, with us, and that seems to suit everyone just fine. You do what needs doing without being told or asked, and are apparently quite happy to get bossy with us when you think its proper, and you don't hear us complaining 'bout that...tempting as it sometimes is." He grinned lopsided at her before continuing. "So stick with that. Don't go getting all shy and strange just because we're moving venues for a stint."

She frowned at his words. "Isn't that presumptuous of me though? I had no idea I was behaving so inappropriately. I...I just don't know how a slave is suppose to behave."

"So what? And so what if is it presumptuous? Presume away. It's worked for you so far."

She laughed. "I am, as always, awed by your feats of logic. But, the problem I'd like to point out with your suggestion is that no one else but you two nere-do-wells would let me get away with the liberties I've taken...and no one would take me seriously in the role if I tried."

"Says who?

"I just know."

"Well you're right then. They won't if you don't go in believing it yourself. They have no reason to think otherwise so long as you don't make them."

"Fake it until you are it?" She offered with a smirk.

"Who said anything about faking it?"

She sobered and watched his face for the joke...but he remained serious. "We both know I'm just a slave Demitri." She offered softly after a brief and unproductive stare off.

"Are you?"

She pursed her lips, not sure what he was trying to get at. "Yes...aren't I?" He smirked at the sudden hesitation in her voice, and she narrowed her eyes at him in response.

"If you say so." He shrugged and leaned back against the crate, resting his hands behind his head, and very deftly ignoring her steady glare buy turning his face to the sky and closing his eyes.

"You, sir, are impossible."

"You know it occurs to me," he began lightly, "that you're the one fixated on names and labels...'I'm just the help' sounds a little like an excuse to me."

"For what?" she challenged.

"You tell me."

"I swear to the gods and all that's divine, I am going to throttle you in two seconds Demitri."

He laughed out loud. "Well at least you're sounding a little more like yourself again." He cracked an eye and nodded to her food. "You should eat something, if you don't you might insult the cook."

She followed his gaze and crinkled her nose. "I'm not feeling all that well."

"Sea sick?"

She made an uninterpretable sound...even to her own ears, and Demitri looked more carefully at her. "Other kind of sick?"

She shrugged. "Probably just the sea."

"You don't sound convinced."

She sighed and looked away, poking once more at her fish. "Does it matter?"

"Could. If it'll make anyone else sick."

She rolled her eyes. Maybe they did think she was the plague after all. "Trust me," she murmured sardonically, "you're all very safe." She looked up to find him looking back at her...hard.

"What?" She was suddenly nervous and shifted under the gaze which had turned so piercing.

"You're pregnant." The words came out as a low statement, and his gaze never wavered.

She gaped. "H-What?"

"You heard me."

"I-"

"Does he know?"

For a moment she considered denying it...as she'd been doing all along to herself, but the look in his eye told her it was a moot point. The cat was well out of the proverbial bag. "I-I haven't told him...I wasn't sure..."

"But you are now?"

"Not completely."

"But mostly?"

She nodded begrudgingly, feeling her eyes prickle slightly. "Please...please don't tell him yet."

His expression softened. "Wouldn't dream of it. That's your prerogative. Just...don't wait too long." All Calliope could do was nod and swallow hard turning her face to her lap to hide her emotions.

"How did you know?"

"Didn't. It was just a guess. But you didn't deny it. Does explain a lot though. I thought for sure you were on your cycle or something." He smirked.

"I hate you sometimes."

%%%%%

On the fifth day, they finally got somewhere. Literally speaking at least. In her thoughts Calliope wasn't any further along in figuring out her dilemma than she'd been days before. And perhaps there wasn't a dilemma, and she was making more of everything than she need be. Perhaps. Or perhaps not.

All she could do was steel herself and hope for the best. Which she did. That, and help unload what little they'd brought with them... which she also did.

There was no proper dock so they were loaded into a smaller oared craft which had approached them from the small island they were anchored near. From what she could see there was nothing of interest to anyone there. There was a sort of mountainous rise at the center which might have been obscuring something else...but she doubted it. Indeed, as they neared the shore, all she could see was a long stretch of sandy beach as it blended slowly into the short ash-green grass and low brush which covered the reddish brown stone of the island. Beyond that the land rose to its central peak from a ring of low growing trees. There was not even the faintest sign of anything else.

They hit land with a dull thud and the two men who'd fetched them and piloted the small craft hopped out to drag the boat the last few feet. Fortunately there wasn't far to go. Demitri jumped down as well to help the men unload their meager belongings. One of the two paused and held out a hand to her which she took with a grateful smile. It was the first time anyone besides Demitri had unflinchingly offered to touch her in anyway.

"Thank you."

He smiled, then went back to help Demitri with a chest he was struggling with. The second man, who had appeared suddenly beside her, waved to something in the distance, and she realized with widening eyes, that there were people walking toward them. The one nearest them seemed quite a bit taller than the others...and wider...and gray. Her face split into an instant smile at the realization and she had to clench her hands into fists to keep herself from making a scene by running off toward them, or waving frantically. She was a lady after all. That thought, and the reminder of her previous conversation with Demitri sobered her somewhat...though not enough to fully still the flitting of butterflies in her stomach.

The figure continued to move towards them, outpacing those that followed with his long, measured strides. In no time he was before them, and she found all she could do was stare up at him. He looked taller than normal...he was taller than normal. She wondered why. He nodded down at her, taking her in with a raised brow as he passed her to approach Demitri.

"Any problems?" He graveled, casting a sharp eye over the unloaded chests and toward the ship in the near distance.

"Nope."

"Good." He slid another glance in her direction, holding her eye a moment before training them the men who had followed him. He pointed to the chests with a curt nod and crossed his arms over his chest as he watched them obey his silent command. The butterflies turned into something more like serpents and her insides roiled with uncertainty. She couldn't remember ever seeing him quite like this. Not only was he larger, perhaps ten feet...maybe more...his manner was gruff and commanding. It wasn't that he was impatient or angry...just...different, harder.

Normally he was so relaxed and good humored. This was clearly a side she had not seen, and it frightened her a little as it compounded her anxieties by reminding her that this wasn't at all what she was used to at home and dashing her hopes that perhaps Demitri had been right that she was fretting for nothing. For once she was disappointed to be proven right.

Unsure of what was expected, she took her cues from her master and stood still and sober, attempting to mimic his seemingly icy detachment as the men took their belongings and started out back from whence they'd come. Thelios followed and she and Demitri with him.

"Been here long?" Demitri asked after a few minutes of silence and once they'd made their way to the entrance of a partially hidden path into the bright woods.

"No. I just arrived. Haven't even gone in yet."

Calliope frowned. "I thought you'd have made it long before us." The comment slipped out before she could stop it, but he didn't seem bothered by it. Only nodding.

"Yes, I would have, but I had other things to see to first." He was still looking ahead down the path, but she could see his eyes narrow and his lip curl ever so slightly. Perhaps whatever this business was, it was what had put him in this less than chipper mood. She hoped it was so, and not some dread of what lay ahead...or worse, some unknown annoyance with her. She frowned and glanced down at her dress. It was elegant in a simple, and slightly conservative way. Was it what he had wanted? She glanced back up toward his face and smirked inwardly at her foolishness. The last thing on his mind was going to be how she was dressed. Indeed, he looked miles away, his mind chasing distant thoughts.

She shook it off and focused on keeping it together, and preserving her calm, placid demeanor and forcing her nerves and the remains of her early morning nausea into the back of her mind. It didn't matter what was coming or what she'd see, she refused to quail or give away anything. She couldn't control her circumstances, but she could still control herself, and she'd be damned if she'd let her fear and insecurities get the best of her.

Her resolve was tested when the sun-freckled woods gave way to a towering wall of stone rising up to loom above them. The face of the cliff was not just the same rough brown stone however, but the facade of what looked like a grand temple, or palace perhaps, carved into the very face of the mountain. It explained where it had been hiding. Here she thought it might be behind the mountain, when it was actually 'inside' the damn thing.

"You people have a thing for caves don't you."

She had muttered the thoughts lowly, and under her breath, but Thelios turned his head to look back down at her with a sideways glance. She met his eye and caught the upward flinch at the corner of his mouth, and the slight glint in his red-gold eyes. It was enough to break the ridged tension which had gripped her and she felt her spine loosen in relief.

Outwardly she showed no sign except to give him a faint smile in return. The doors were massive things, covered from top to bottom in elaborate carvings too numerous for her eyes to note with any detail as they swung slowly open. All she saw was a writhing mass of figures move past her vision, for her eyes were riveted on the ever widening gap between. Thelios was still striding forward, unfazed. She hoped no one had sen her hesitate, or how her step faltered.

pandarus
pandarus
2,696 Followers