Safe Room Ch. 02

Story Info
The Force is with the Iron Crowbar; Investigations continue.
9.3k words
4.8
10.3k
7

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/14/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 6 - Puzzle Pieces and Code Blocks

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette from in front of City Hall at 7:00am, Thursday, May 4th. Star Wars Day: May The Fourth be with you.

"As Channel Two News reported to you yesterday, Tim Burris was found dead yesterday in his home at the end of Reservoir Road." Bettina said. "Police have no leads in the case, but Channel Two News has learned that Mr. Burris may have died as long as a month ago, on the night of the big power outage caused by the shutdown of the electric power substation on April 7th. Police are not commenting on the nature of Mr. Burris's passing, but sources tell Channel Two News that he died of asphyxiation while locked in an underground safe room."

I just shook my head, wondering who the hell the leaks were. Bettina went on: "Spokesmen Jay Swenson and Ken Eidex of the Citizens For Police Accountability group issued a statement condemning Governor Val Jared for refusing to have the SBI investigate the capture of former SBI Agent Richard Ferrell by the Town & County Police, which resulted in former Agent Ferrell being paralyzed from the waist down with a broken back. And State Senator Katherine Woodburn also condemned Governor Jared for what she believes are unlawful actions. Roll tape."

The tape showed Katherine Woodburn screaming at a supposed outdoor gathering of women: "And Governor Jared is breaking the law by diverting your tax dollars to make illegal raids on undocumented workers! I demand Governor Jared resign or face impeachment for his crimes!"

Back to Bettina: "Governor Jared issued a statement saying simply 'Illegal aliens are taking jobs away from law-abiding American Citizens, especially Black citizens. I would think Senator Woodburn would want jobs in her district to go to Black workers instead of illegal persons.' The Governor's statement caused an uproar among civil rights groups, who are fighting to be first in line to condemn the Governor for what they call 'racist' statements."

"And I thought it was getting bad in here." said Chief Moynahan as he poured himself some coffee, having snuck into the room as we were transfixed by what we were hearing on the television set.

"At least we occasionally have doughnuts in here." I said. "The Press brings nothing but vinegar to our morning coffee."

"And if you spot Darth Vader in Town today," Bettina said, "do not be alarmed. Today is Star Wars Day, and college students are properly attired for the occasion. Star Wars parties will be the theme tonight, as students get ready for the pressure cooker days of Final Exams."

"I wonder who the Force will be with in the Police Boxing Matches!?" I said loudly.

"Commander," said Joanne Warner, using my own words from the past against me, "you, sir, are trying to start trouble. And you are succeeding, sir."

"Wise Detective, you are. Soon boxing, you will be." I said, in a brilliant imitation of Jedi Master Yoda.

"And losing. To me." said Cindy, to Joanne. "The Force is not with you, young Princess." That stirred up some oooo's and ahhhh's.

"Okay," I said, "I need to see Detective Warner and Captain Ross in my office right away. And leave the lightsabers at home."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Once we were seated in my office, I said "I brought you guys in here to tell you that I checked on Jimmy and Jennifer Amberton through my FBI resources. I got a rejection screen, meaning that it wouldn't let me access the information. Apparently something very big happened with them and BigAerospaceCorp."

"So I'm off the case?" asked Joanne unhappily.

"Quite the opposite." I said. "You're going to start pressing it. Get Theo up to speed, and you two work on it. I asked the Nextdoor County Police to start watching Jimmy Amberton, who works at Nextdoor County High School. Do not try to talk to him without me present. Also, his wife works in this County, as does Susan Gurley. I'm going to go talk to the FBI after we finish talking, and I may call you at any time and have you bring some people in."

"Can you tell me what it's about?" asked Joanne.

"Not all of it." I said. "By the way, Captain, we really need to see if we can get some clearance upgrades for our MCD Detectives."

"No doubt, sir." said Cindy. "I was already working on that with our FBI friends. I'll try to light a fire under 'em."

"Basically, Joanne," I said, "they got fired from BigAerospaceCorp, but got big severance packages. Their clearances were revoked, for reasons I didn't know until last night. I still really don't know the details, but do know that it's something high-up at the Government level."

"Like that eugenics business?" asked Joanne.

"Smart Detective, she is." I said to Cindy. "Trouble, she is going to be."

"Strong with the Force is this one, young Crowbarrrr..." replied Cindy, in a brilliant imitation of 'Darth Grizz', a.k.a. Chief Griswold.

"By the way, sir." said Joanne. "I need to take off early. My husband Seth has been asked to come visit a Mr. Conrad King at the Lakeside Inn & Suites this evening, and to bring me. Mr. King is in Town for a BigPharmaCorp Board meeting, and I know he is the father of Jack King of the 'Black Badge' case. Other than that, I'm not sure what his connection to Seth is, nor why he wants to see him."

Cindy and I exchanged a glance, then I looked at Joanne and said "Would you like that answer now? Or wait until the meeting with Mr. King?"

"Now, sir, if you know." Joanne replied.

I sat back in my Command chair and said "Of course you remember Karla Warner, Seth's mother, who saved your life in the Standard Tools explosion." (Author's note: 'Women's Work'.)

"Yes sir." said Joanne.

I said "Karla's maiden name... was 'King'. And the late Karla King Warner was Conrad King's daughter. And so Seth is Conrad's grandson. I will also add that Conrad King is a powerful man, and may be connected to these white supremacist groups we're getting after. So be very careful with your words, and anything you say."

Joanne's eyes were very wide as I told her this. She processed it, then said "Thank you for telling me, sir. I'll tell Seth, and we'll be careful."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy and I went to the Federal Building on Courthouse Square. As always, I tend to scan the crowds for any signs of threat or trouble. I saw nothing averse today, nor did I see any Imperial Stormtroopers, but there was still a touch of tension in the air, it seemed. Maybe it was just me, I thought to myself. I tried to shrug it off.

"Yes, I feel it, too." Cindy said. "Something's not right. There's a disturbance in the Force today."

"Wow, you just read my mind." I said. "I must be on guard against your Jedi mind tricks." Cindy nodded, still introspective.

Going to the third floor, Cindy and I went into the FBI offices, and was escorted to the conference room (the one NOT in the plexiglass cube). Jack Muscone, Lindy Linares, Sandra Speer, and Martin Nash were already there... and so was my wife, Dr. Laura Fredricson.

"The Deputy Director will be here in five minutes." said Jack Muscone. "Before he gets here, I need to tell you that we have developed intelligence suggesting there is an active plot to assassinate him. And Don, they'd probably love to take a shot at you, too."

"They tried already." I said. "They failed. Stupid to fail. Unforgivable."

"The Morellis would agree." said Jack. "But this is from a different source. Higher up. My boss must be getting too close to them." The Special Agents might have seen the glance Laura and I exchanged.

"Ah, full house today." said the DepDirector as he came in. I noted he had two bodyguards, who remained outside.

"Thanks for coming, everyone." he said as he sat down. "Jack, did you tell them what was going on?"

"Only that your life is being threatened." said Muscone.

"Yes." said the DepDirector. "What has happened is this: Richard Ferrell's partner, Benny Brighton, gave us some information. Mostly a name. Some of Jerry Morelli's people are talking in exchange for lighter sentences. They came up with the same name. I'm not going to say the name right now to keep the security on it, but might be our big break in this case."

I scribbled the name 'Paulsen' on a sheet of paper and handed it to the DepDirector, face down. He turned ashen as he read it, and looked up at me in total shock.

"How did you know?" he asked. "God damn it, how did you know?"

"I'll explain that later." I said. "But you're right, it's one lead that might break things open for us."

"Anyway..." said the DepDirector, looking at me warily as if I were a cat about to attack him, "... we think this person may be a lynchpin in this cell we're after, which we're calling the 'ultra cell' due to its power and influence in Washington. We, meaning the Attorney General, FBI Director, CIA Director, Homeland Security Director, and some Deputy Directors in these bureaucracies, think that cell has people in many departments, maybe aides to Congresspeople, judicial clerks, and the like. Then there's the outsiders, the Banksters, the Board members of several of our biggest corporations. Quite frankly, we don't know who to trust anymore."

"And moles inside the FBI, as well." I said.

"Yes, and the CIA, too." said the DepDirector. "Including some persons you may know."

"My ex-wife." I said. "Yes, I do know her. All too well."

The DepDirector was staring at me again. "You think she's bad?"

"No sir." I said. "But you're right to consider her."

"Wow." said the DepDirector.

"And it all goes through this person?" asked Muscone, meaning the name on the paper. The DepDirector handed him my piece of paper, which was subsequently passed around.

"Yes, we think so." said the DepDirector. "Dr. Fredricson?"

"My husband and I have developed leads from two different directions." Laura said. "Last night he discovered that Operation BEEKEEPER is still active, and bigger than we first thought. And I have taken care of the issue of my sister. She is not disloyal, and has been taken to the sidelines."

"Disavowed?" asked Sandra.

"No." said Laura, her eyes resting upon the lovely, pregnant redhead. "But someone she recruited was disavowed."

"Wasn't BEEKEEPER that operation where Casey B. Walker was going after Don?" asked Muscone.

"And where the Green Crowbar here kicked ass and forgot about the names, to my eternal gratitude." I replied. Cindy and I fist-bumped.

"That operation is not dead?" asked Sandra.

"No." Laura replied. "What we found out is that Operation BEEKEEPER was Walker's operation to find anyone who was threatening this deep cell we're finding out about now. My husband was tops on their list, but he may not be the only one they thought was their enemy. Also, I thought Walker was the lead man on BEEKEEPER, but it turns out he was just a lackey for someone else."

"Who?" asked the DepDirector.

"The leader of this ultra-cell." I said. "He's one of those whose name cannot be mentioned, as it's classified. But he's the spider in the center of this web. He's protecting Superior Bloodlines, as well as their front organizations."

I did not mention that he was the man who looked down on me while I was being tortured, and he was the one I saw at the State Capitol, as well.

"Why didn't this come out when we rescued Don and exposed BEEKEEPER?" asked Jack Muscone.

"They 'detached' it." said Laura. "Let me explain: Operation BEEKEEPER is like a mass of attached building blocks, like Legos, each little block being an investigation of an individual or group. If one of those investigations, for lack of a better word, gets exposed, it's allowed to float away on its own as if it's all there is with the operation, and no one sees further or sees any other people."

"Why not just make them all separate, then?" asked Cindy.

"Money." said Laura. "Each separate operation would have to have its own budget, compete for the same electronic and human tools to work on it, and no coordination between them. By having it under one umbrella, the same tools are used, they can see if these individuals or groups are working together, and only need one 'black ops' budget instead of many."

"That's about the only time we'll ever see the Government actually working to be more efficient." I said. Cindy laughed and Laura looked sympathetic, but the FBI Agents were not amused.

"Sir," said Jack Muscone to the DepDirector, "that must be why they're agitated, and put out the hit on you. They know that the Iron Crowbar is either working for you on this, or he'll tell you what he knows."

"They must not know the Iron Crowbar very well, then." Cindy murmured.

"Now is not the time, Crowbar 2." I replied quietly. Cindy straightened up in her chair, chastened.

"So we're all converging upon the same points but by various ways." said the DepDirector. "But as to BEEKEEPER... I was blind not to see the full scope of that before."

The word 'blind' struck me. 'Blind', I thought to myself... now what does that have to do with... ohhhhhh! That's it!

"Mr. Director," I said, "if there is nothing more, I'd like to speak with you alone for a minute." All the FBI Agents looked shocked, but everyone caught the urgency in my voice.

"Uh, nothing personal, Don," said Muscone, "but with the threats against him, he can't be alone with anyone."

"I can stay." said Laura.

"It'll be okay, Jack." said the DepDirector. "The Iron Crowbar is not going to try to kill me and his wife. Everyone, take five minutes." Everyone but me, my wife, and the Deputy Director of the FBI got up and left the room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"We are going to win, sir."

I said the words to the DepDirector, and continued: "They have made a mistake, and we have got them. They made a slip, a tiny, tiny slip, but it is one they could not afford to make with me so close upon them. I am casting my nets, and we will bag them all and destroy Superior Bloodlines before you're forced to retire."

"That's... that's wonderful!" said the DepDirector. "What happened?"

"If you listen to a Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart seminar, sir," I said, "you will hear him say many times that there are no coincidences in the Universe. I happen to agree with my uncle on that. What happened here was that Detective Joanne Warner began looking into a cold case, the murder of a young man named Jason Rutledge. Two people that were persons of interest in that case, Jimmy and Jennifer Amberton, were employees of BigAerospaceCorp in Nevada."

"Because of this incident, the clearances of both Ambertons were revoked." I continued. "As a matter of routine, and helping out my Detectives, I looked into why those clearances were revoked, and that's when the BEEKEEPER warning came up. Then Laura and I melted the wires and found out the larger scope of BEEKEEPER. We now have a large number of names of people being investigated, including this man that recently died in his underground safe room... but more importantly, we also have the names of the people that investigated them or reported them."

"And it was just out there for you to find?" asked the DepDirector.

"I don't think they expected us to find it." I said. "And it was their bad karma that it was me who saw that screen."

"So why were the Ambertons' clearances revoked?" asked the DepDirector.

"Revenge." I replied. "From what I'm finding, Jason Rutledge was a product of the eugenics project of Dr. Yarborough. Jason's father was an athletic, smart man, who was on our Town Council and opposed the merger with the County. I've been able to find out that he and his wife had a close relationship with Harold Malone and Malone's wife, and they all were close with people in the Oldeeds Organization."

"These people did not know if either Jimmy or Jennifer Amberton killed Jason," I went on, "and it didn't matter; they just shut down both of their clearances and kicked them to the kerb from the Government project they were working on."

"Now I've got Tim Burris." I said. "He was a prepper, does not trust the Government at all. His parents died under mysterious circumstances, and may have been moles within the Oldeeds Organization and political groups. He comes over all dead, and on the night of that power outage. And now, sir... you are coming under threat. And it's a threat you should take very, very seriously. If you want to hide some place, Laura and I can offer our house on Lake Watchacoochie."

"I appreciate that." said the DepDirector, "but it's not the most secure place. It's downhill of some high ground, and divers could come in from the lake. All of Lake Watchacoochie is bad because of that. There's other places that will serve me better. And I might not be in touch for some extended periods, so just contact Jack if you need anything..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Cindy, Laura, and I left the Federal Building, I said "Cindy, we need to go back to the Burris house. There's something I need to look at." We walked Laura to her car and I kissed her goodbye, then we went to my Police SUV and began the drive to Reservoir Road.

"That was some stunning stuff in there." Cindy said. "Feels like the Westboro days... just gets bigger and bigger."

"True." I said. "But we've laid some groundwork, and hopefully this one can be resolved without destroying a church or crashing in a helicopter."

"You always said you were trying to keep Westboro alive in order to put him on trial." Cindy noted. "Do you feel the same way about these slugs?"

I didn't answer for a minute, then I said "No. I do not feel the same way. The Press will be too one-sided about it, and some of it goes so frickin' deep that it'll never be allowed to get to the attention of the Public... like the way Casey B. Walker was handled behind-the-scenes."

Cindy did not say anything for a minute. I said "Everything all right?"

"Yes." she replied. "But a lot of this... is above my pay grade. I'm a Police Officer, not James Bond or Peter Gunn. You can handle the big-time, Don. I'm not sure it's for me."

This did not sound like the Cindy I know, I thought to myself. "Funny, you've been handling it, and very well, for a few years now. Why the second thoughts now?"

"I dunno." said Cindy. "Maybe you getting shot, Teresa having five Purple Orders, which is way too many for anyone... and new things going on in my life..."

"There's Chief Griswold at his mailbox." I said as we pulled up. "Hey Chief!"

"Hey, you young whippersnappers!" growled the Chief. "What are you up to?"

"Up to no good as usual, Chief." I said. "We're going to look at the Burris house again. Want to come along?"

"Sure!" said the Chief, his eyes lighting up and his mustaches twitching. He got into the backseat.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'd called Teddy Parker and Jerome Davis to meet us at the Burris residence. When we got to the house, we found Patrolmen Johnson and Barker at the scene, guarding it, and I was happy to see that they were alert. Chief Griswold greeted them warmly and shook hands with them. Parker and Davis drove up seconds later.