Save the Diner

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Eighty-nine actually. And so you extracted all of that information from Melissa in just a few hours?"

"Well inside half an hour. Fifteen hundred a week otherwise I'll have to look for work and that will take my mind off the ball. I resigned my job to come here knowing this could be a drawn out affair."

"Fifteen hundred a week providing you do some work around here when you are not specifically working on the save the diner effort."

"Call it the Save the Diner Campaign. I propose drumming up community support."

"We tried soliciting support. I placed an eighty dollar advertisement in our local newspaper and that produced four replies, of which were two women promising to do something if I told them what, another guy was like you, wanting to be paid, and the mother of the fourth respondent said her son had a mental illness and never ventured outside the house and was always responding to advertisements."

"Yeah well did you think of take out a full page advert?"

"Are you mad. That would cost around two thousand dollars, perhaps more."

"Oh Mrs Skinflint. Answer this, how does two thousand buck expenditure or even $100,000 stack up against losing your entire business?"

Aggie scratched under an armpit and stared at him before saying, "My daughter Maggie has done well sending you to me."

Sonny-Bill heard Jessica expel an over-inflated supply of breath.

"Do you have an account with a florist Aggie?"

"Yes."

"Do you mind ordering a $40 bunch of flowers for rapid delivery and give the address of this diner and the name is Miss Barbour. I'll add the message and pay you back when I'm earning money again."

That was done. The message was, 'For your next birthday even if you are still not talking to me by then. Sonny-Bill.'

"Did you insult my day manager by making unacceptable comment about her breasts?"

"That's getting close but what I said was intentional. I was setting her up for a date."

"Jessica?"

"The comment was smart but not offensive in my opinion mother. I think he caught Glenn on the back foot with his forthright manner."

"Well I just don't understand this Tom Foolery you young people play these days Sonny-Bill."

Aggie pulled out a cash tin and held up $500. "Although you will be on the payroll as from today you won't be paid till next Wednesdays. Here's something to tide you over. It's for the delivery of quality information. Please take note I don't approve of gambling."

"Thanks Aggie. Do you kiss you?"

"Don't you dare touch me, ever. Now you two go and have something to eat and coffee on the house. Thank you for calling."

"When will we meet again?"

"Jessica had put you in the guest room and I occupy a guest wing I had built on the house and as I eat with the family it figures you'll see me tonight. In the meantime have coffee and then start sniffing around. What puzzles us is why does the city need to replace the library? The present one was built around fifty years ago and should last a further hundred years.

"Because everything's going high-tech Aggie."

"You mean computer stuff boy?"

"Yes."

"I knew that damn computer stuff would invade everything we do and cost us an arm and a leg. It's an invention that ought to have been snuffed out when its danger was comprehended."

Living dangerous Sonny-Bill said, "I guess you ride around in motor cars. They were an invention just like the computer."

"Are you trying to make an ass out of me?"

"No I'm too nice to do something like that."

When Melissa and Sonny-Bill's orders arrived they saw a courier rush in with a large bouquet of flowers.

Glenn was called out to sign for them. She read the note, looked up and stared at Sonny-Bill and shook her head as if in despair.

"See a waste of money," Melissa said, as if sorry for him.

"Yeah if she dumps them. But if she puts them in her office or takes them home every time she looks at them she will think of me and wonder if I was really stupid to send her flowers or do I have something in mind."

"God and men call women devious. I must get back to the office. You now have money for a cab. I wish you had asked me for money."

"That's kind of you but your mom was the proper person to hit on. She's the one calling the shots. Is the diner profitable?"

"Yes."

"How profitable?"

"The bottom line satisfies my mother. I can say no more before my mother is a client of mine and client's affairs are confidential."

"That's fine. I needed to know money was available because mounting an effective campaign against the council could be costly and I'm already costing her fifteen hundred a week."

"The money is there if she wishes to spent it. I wouldn't dare try to secretly fund the project because she's bound to find out and she would really rip into me."

Sonny-Bill laughed and said, "Let's call it Operation Dragon."

"God no, what about Operation Diner."

"You spoiler. I need an office."

"There are spare rooms above the diner. Some of the wait staff and the night manager sleep up there. It would be a great location for you because up at that level you get a good view of the enemy?"

Sonny-Bill frowned and said, "The enemy?"

"City hall you fool."

He laughed but knew he'd suckered Jessica into thinking he hadn't known what she meant. It was a technique he often used.

Melissa kissed him and left.

He ordered another coffee and Glenn arrived with it and sat.

"Have you taken some kind of interest in me?"

He countered. "Wouldn't that be difficult after the way you have been treating me with distain and despair?"

"And you haven't deserved that from your unsettling behavior?"

Sonny-Bill said gently, "My behavior I feel has been perfectly normal for a guy who sees a woman who rings his bell."

"I'm going."

"Please stay. I'm working for Aggie who is my grandmother."

Glenn flopped back into the chair. "So that's it. Your mother is Mrs Marshall's other daughter who lives in Texas?"

"Yes."

"So why are you here?"

"To save the diner, or more explicitly, to lead the campaign to save it."

"Good god."

"I creep up on you, don't I?"

Glenn colored a little and had the grace to laugh. "I'm slowly getting used to you. Something tells me you might be rather okay."

He switched the conversation off him and asked Glenn about her job and how long had she been doing it.

She then began telling him a bit about herself and he reciprocated and then he asked to if she could give him a room to use upstairs as an office.

"Five of the wait staff and Hannah the night manager live up there."

"As a day office and I could then look at the enemy."

"The enemy?"

"The City Hall over in Duke Street."

She laughed. "God you are taking this serious. Um do you mind if I tell the girls about you and that you are making it your mission to take on City Hall?"

"Well I don't know if..."

"We all have found this move by the council unsettling and fear we may lose our jobs. I've heard two of the girls discussing about looking elsewhere for a job."

"Okay tell them. It will all be made public soon, perhaps very soon."

"Will you win?"

"I believe the campaign to save the diner will be successful, yes."

"Well good luck."

"Could you ask Aggie for approval to allocate me a room to use as an office?"

"Yes no problem. Come up with me and I'll show you a selection."

"This is the alternative entrance, rarely used and there's also an exterior fire escape at the mid-section. Although it's completely a wood building the council forced Mrs Marshall five years ago to install a fire sprinkler system throughout the entire building because it was a public restaurant and also people slept upstairs. This stairway is steep so be careful."

"You have lovely legs," he said, from three steps behind and almost stumbled in shock when Glenn used both hands to pull up her skirt to give him a three-second look at her stocking tops and silk boy shorts.

She murmured she must be insane. Sonny-Bill said nothing, sensing this was the right thing to do. He smiled, not having expected the break-through to come so soon.

For a stairway rarely used it was surprisingly clean and he said so. He was told they employed commercial cleaners who were first-class.

They went into the first bedroom and Sonny-Bill practically gasped and he stroked the painted wall because he sensed he knew what it was because he could see the faint outlines of what lay beneath.

"What is it?" Glenn asked curiously.

"I've been into Art Deco style homes in Miami Beach, Florida. They had plywood wood linings of veneered walnut and cut and joined in random angles with the grain of the wood in one section running in a different direction to the sections butting it. The walls were a minor work of art."

"It sounds interesting. And then along came another generation and painted over that beautiful panel because it was not longer considered fashionable?"

"Yes you are very intelligent."

Glenn flushed and said, "Follow me, I have something to show you."

They returned to the stairway and she opened the door at the end of the passage and switched on the lights.

Sonny-Bill gasped "Omigod" and holding her around the waist looked over her shoulder from the doorway and said, "This is a treasure trove. This room is half-full of lights and in those long boxes are probably chandeliers and omigod look at those glorious mirrors centered in frames of decorative pieces of glass of various colors."

"I guess it's how you look at things. Well all thought this was a roomful of junk."

"It's Aladdin's Cave, these items being worth a small fortune. You must lock the door and keep the key secure."

They walked into the next room and he continued, "I really know very little about Art Deco knickknacks but such crafted items and art and is pricey. This collection from the 1920s/1930s could be worth well say $200,000 or perhaps much more. There's heaps of it. May I kiss you?"

"Yes you're excited aren't you?"

They kissed because Sonny-Bill had chosen not to waste time by answering. He didn't want her to suddenly back off.

"God you can kiss," she said, pulling away.

He pulled her back and she resisted half-heartedly.

Sonny-Bill opened his eyes and saw her eyes were closed and she was smiling serenely. He knew he must push slowly. He opened his mouth and slowly her mouths opened and their tongues said hello. He sucked her tongue and slowly her tongue began moving and then went deeper and he slammed a mitt over her left boob and she began really tongue-fucking her mouth but the instant she released a deep moan she pulled away and called, "Christ what am I doing?"

He released Glenn and gave her his clean folded handkerchief and she dabbed her drool and stared at him.

"You don't give up," she said gravely as she handed back the handkerchief.

"No and that's what's needed if we are to win."

"I agree," she said, her face unreadable. "Do you want this room?"

"Probably not because it will have memories of gestating lust."

"You're funny," she said with a smile lurking.

Glenn showed Sonny-Bill two more rooms and then said the next one should remain a buffer between his work area and the girls' rooms because anyone on night shift would sleep when he'd be coming and going and she would not wish them to be disturbed.

"I agree. May I take the first room along from the top the stairs, the room where you kissed me."

She gave him a funny look and said, "Yes of course. Being that far away you could work in peace at any time of the night and day. I'll get our maintenance man to check the heater and power supply and bring up table, we don't have spare desks but I know where there's a spare coffeemaker."

"Thanks you are talking as if my grandmother will say yes to this proposal?"

"I can't recall my grandmothers ever refusing me anything."

"Ah yes by my grandmother would probably be several times tougher than yours."

"Granted but she still knows she's a grandmother. I already have recorded for expense purposes an entry of $500 in your file as a consulting fee and I found that rather unusual since you'd only just arrived."

"I did give her valuable information and perhaps it theoretical by worth tens of thousands of dollars if it all comes to pass. But actually it was a gift, I'm broke."

"An over-abundance of expensive wild women?"

"I went big into gambling to try to raise capital the quick way but alas... you probably can guess."

"Gambling... you naughty boy."

On the mid-way landing where the direction of the stairs changed 180 degrees, Glenn stopped and held up her face to be kissed. He had that hand mashing a boob but with a bit more pressure this time. She placed a hand over that hand but didn't pull it away.

"Don't get the idea this means anything. I have a boyfriend but you are not without attraction."

"So you have no intention of having sex with me," Sonny-Bill said boldly.

She turned to look down the stairway but didn't bolt and said almost in a whisper, "I can't imagine that happening."

He smiled knowing tonight in bed she'd think about what he'd just said, or at least he hoped she would allow that memory recall at a time when it suited her.

She continued the descent and there was enough lighting for Sonny-Bill to see the hip action that promoted hip sway. He began developing an erection and smiled, wondering if he continued slowly and patiently would get to the stage when he could smell pussy on his fingers. A slow-slow tempo was the key.

As they began walking off he asked could he run a monthly food account and Glenn said she would attend to that immediately.

"I'll need to come and sign."

"I'm not having you in my office with me feeling like this. The grandson having to sign? I think not and Mrs Marshall would expect me to give you a staff discount."

Sonny-Bill walked off and narrowly missed attempting to walk over the closest table. He'd been engrossed in thought about something: 'Not with me feeling like this.'

Jesus.

It was only 9:45 and yet the eatery was half-full. Oh yes, it was a good business but the prices were very modest but he guessed his grandmother with all her experience would know at what level to pitch prices.

CHAPTER 2

On the way to the Morning Clarion newspaper Sonny-Bill passed two other restaurants with prominent signs stating 'Open for Breakfast'. The first one had people at two tables and second had four tables in use and another couple at the counter. He thought yes, a good environment, probably good food and prices well-pitched Aggie and oh yes, a big reputation because she'd been in the business for yonks. Oh yeah.

At the newspaper he was directed up one level to the editorial floor when he spoke to the woman who guarded the editor.

"Mr Brady works from 2:00 to 10:00 or longer. We are a morning publication. She consulted her diary and offered him a fifteen-minute slot at 2:15 and asked for the nature of his business with the editor.

"I am working to organize a community protest campaign."

The middle-aged woman looked at him sharply. "We are an orderly community here with excellent lines of communication. We haven't had a protest campaign here for neigh on fifteen years in connection with foul sewage odors from over-taxed settling ponds at the sewerage treatment plant."

"Well I'm here for another type of campaign."

"So you don't even live here?"

"No but I was born here and have extended family here."

"You name please."

"Sonny-Bill Tripp."

"Omigod you are Maggie and Jake Tripp's son. I went through school with your mother. And her mother is Aggie Marshall. You are here to build a campaign to save the diner. Oh glory be!"

"Correct Mrs...?"

"Thelma Stockman. Please remember me to your mother. Is it agreeable if I enter the subject in the editor's diary as 'Save the Diner Campaign."

"Very okay Thelma."

She looked at him a little sharply and then smiled and said yes he could call her Thelma. "I think there are many people in this city who like me are really going to like you."

"So I can register you as my first supporter for the campaign?"

"Oh yes please. I would be honored."

Sonny-Bill walked through the central business district and found other than Wilk's Bicycle Shop and Baabaa's Toy Emporium he had little memory of the stores but there were some new developments including a three level Ellis & Boise department store that appeared to be attracting considerable custom as he watched the flow or people in and out of its entrances.

But all in all, the city center was typical of scores of others he'd visited, with only a handful of really 'gem' premises in terms of design and fit-outs. Actually E&B department store was a modern gem and he knew of another that had the potential to at least match E&B in design and quality. Yeah the diner, as crazy at it might sound.

He answered a call and smiled and replied, "Hi sweetheart."

She hesitated and then said, "No one calls me that, not even my boyfriend."

"Oh I apologize."

"I'm not offended. It's just...just..."

"What?"

"It made me feel romantic," Glenn said. "I'm calling because your grandmother asked what was I doing with you upstairs and taking so long about it."

"And you said you were kissing me."

"I replied you were looking for a room to use as an office and she said what room did you favor and I said the largest room at the top of the stairs and that I had been asked to consult you. She said she approved and I could buy a proper desk for you. I then told her we'd looked at the treasure trove and she didn't know what I was talking about and I said that roomful of junk, light fittings and mirrors and she said she'd forgotten about that and said you'd probably were out of your tree about that and had I then kissed you. I hope you don't mind, I had to say yes and she just smiled. I asked her for your number to ask you what kind of desk did you want and that was it."

"Metal framed with a glass top thank you."

"Well you search for what you want and then ask the shop to phone me for an order number and to confirm your authority to purchase."

"Fine and your call has captured your number for me. Well done Glenn," said Sonny-Bill. "I keep thinking of that image burnt into my brain of you walking up those stairs and pulling up your dress to give my a real butt show. You thighs look gorgeous."

He cut the call before she could answer.

Sonny-Bill called on Philip Brady, editor, Morning Clarion after lunch and was greeted warmly.

"Call me Phil," he said warmly. I take my wife and two children to the diner, usually for lunch on the first wet Sunday of the new month We wrote an editorial suggesting the council find an alternative site for the new library but were ignored. That happens a lot with this mayor. Bill Rogers whose family owns a highway construction and repair business has a heavy roller style in local government politics and administration."

"So if it develop credible tactics I can count on your support?"

"Editorially and perhaps financially yes but in news we will publish actions and comments even-handedly."

"Yes of course."

"And I know for a fact our chairman eats at the diner and is a close friend of Aggie Marshall's. My PA tells me Aggie is your grandmother."

"Yes Phil and I'm aware I'm not here to play games. I gave up a good job with a bank to come here and my grandmother is paying me modestly."

"Well Sonny-Bill perhaps I can talk to some business and professional people I know and we could donate to a fund to reward you for taking on this mission. Tell me, who do you see this thing gaining traction."

Sonny-Bill began talking and ten minutes later Phil interrupted him to call his PA and asked her to advise he'd not be attending the 2:30 editorial meeting."