Saved From Extinction

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Trista, there's someone I would like you to visit tomorrow."

"Who is it?" I asked.

"He's one of the new arrivals. You already know him. His name is Matthew."

I stiffened. "I don't know if I can."

"Trista, as much as I love Wes, I know you can't live the rest of your life alone. It's not healthy for you."

I started to cry. "I can't."

"Trista, I'm so happy that you met my son and you fell in love with him. Every time I'm near you, I can smell him in you, and in Wesley, and it breaks my heart."

I put my face in my hands and wept. He sat down beside me and put his arm around me. "But, I could always smell someone else and I assumed it was someone you were with before you met my son, someone you had lost. When I met Matthew for the first time, I knew right away. Because your scent is embedded into his breath, his tears."

I looked up at him.

"Trista, I don't know how many breeding partners he's had, but your scent is the only one he still carries. Please, will you go see him? You need to complete your grieving cycle and move on."

I sat there silently. "I'm sorry," I told him. "I can't. I'm not ready."

He nodded. "I understand." He got up and gave me a sympathetic hug before leaving. "He'll be released from quarantine in a week," he said before closing the door.

I held it together until Wesley was in bed. Then I broke down and cried. I felt like I would be betraying Wes if I went to see Matthew. I couldn't do it to him. He had given his life for me. For our son. I watched Wesley sleeping. His lips parted a little, the way Wes's lips had parted when he slept.

I remembered how selfless he had been when I was grieving for Matthew. He had already fallen in love with me, and yet he had encouraged me to try and convince Matthew to come to the islands with me. How could I betray that?

I avoided going to the quarantine center. I just couldn't risk seeing Matthew yet. I mostly stayed at the hospital, visiting the older linderi. They could all sense my heartache and they all asked me what was wrong, but I just shook my head. I couldn't talk about it yet. Part of me knew that Wes would want me to find someone to love again. He wouldn't want me to be alone. But I still fought against it. I wasn't ready.

I walked through the hospital corridor making my rounds. And then I sensed him. Matthew was near. I closed my eyes and just inhaled. The smell was getting stronger, but I couldn't move. I just stood there, overwhelmed by it.

"Trista," I heard his silky voice call my name and my heart swelled.

I opened my eyes. "Matthew," I whispered.

He came up to me and we embraced. Like lovers who had been separated for a long time. Like we had always loved each other. And I didn't want to let him go.

1...456789