Saving Tess

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When Tess returned five minutes later, Frank was finishing up a call of his own. "Good," he said, "I appreciate your help. I owe you one."

"That was the Salisbury police," he said. "Tony Brunetti has been on their radar for quite a while. He's a drug dealer. The only reason they haven't picked him up yet is because he's a middle man. They're hoping he'll point them to some people higher up in the organization. When they do arrest him, he's going to do serious time. The stupid shit has already sold drugs to an undercover cop on two different occasions."

Tess just stared at him, wide-eyed.

"They're going to declare your car an abandoned vehicle and have it towed to their impound lot. The guy who runs the lot is a good mechanic. He'll reinstall whatever it was that Tony removed from the car. They'll keep the car until we can retrieve it for you," Frank continued. "Depending on when they take Tony down, you might be able to recover some of your belongings."

"We? I...I don't understand," Tess said, looking mystified.

"I also sent them the picture of your bruise. I wanted them to know what kind of asshole they're dealing with."

"They also ran the plates on the truck for me," he continued. "The owner lives in Centreville, Maryland which works well in your favor. They are clearly on their way south for some fishing. If Tony discovers the phone somehow, he'll likely conclude that you dropped it in the truck back in Salisbury. He'll have no idea which direction you actually went."

"Frank, what's going on?"

"I'm a cop."

Tess gave him a long, questioning look.

"A cop? What kind of cop?" she finally asked.

"I'm an investigator with the North Carolina state police. I work out of a barracks near Beaufort."

"Then why didn't you shoot Tony last night? Or arrest him or something?

"My first priority was ensuring your safety without revealing your location. I knew he could be dealt with later if need be."

"I don't know what to say. You are full of surprises," Tess said, already gaining a new measure of respect and admiration for this man who had only been in her life for a few hours. "I must have a guardian angel somewhere. Besides you I mean."

"Glad to be of service."

"How did you happen to be in Salisbury at precisely the moment I needed to be rescued?"

"I had just spent a couple of days visiting friends on Kent Island. I enjoy driving at night, so I hit the road after dinner. By the time I got to Salisbury I needed gas and a pit stop. You know the rest."

"It's true then. I do have a guardian angel."

"Maybe so," he said with a smile. "Now, I suspect you need to do a little shopping. What would meet your requirements?"

"Target would be perfect. Decent stuff at decent prices."

Frank tapped on his phone a few times and then grunted with satisfaction.

"There's a Target less than two miles from here. If you're ready to go, let's head over there. When you've done your shopping, we'll check out of the motel."

Ten minutes later they pulled into a parking space near the front of the store. Frank was pleased to see a Dick's Sporting Goods next door.

"Let's get you a throwaway phone and set it up right now. Then you can shop at your leisure and call me when you're done. I'll be in Dick's."

"Frank, this is all overwhelming. You are you being so kind to me. I've never met anyone like you."

"Good."

A few minutes later, Frank had purchased a little flip phone, waived off her attempt to repay him, and had it up and running. After programming his number into the phone, he handed it over. On impulse, Tess stood on tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek.

"Thank you. I don't know what else to say," she murmured.

"You've said enough," he said with a smile. "Call me when you've finished shopping."

"Do you think I should try to call my old phone? Just to see what happens."

"Not a good idea. No one can answer the call but Tony, if he has the phone. I'm sure you have plenty of things you'd like to say to him, but you're better off staying completely disengaged. My recommendation is that you call your service provider right now, report the phone as stolen, and cancel your service."

"I guess you're right," Tess replied. "No sense letting him run up charges if he has the phone."

Five minutes later, her business concluded with the help of Frank's smartphone, Tess let out a long sigh of resignation.

"Now what?" she asked, a pensive look on her face.

"Now go shopping," Frank replied with a smile.

****

Tess was an experienced shopper and soon had a basket with underwear, toiletries, makeup to conceal her bruise, jeans, shorts, a couple of tops, a wraparound sleeveless dress, some silky pajamas, a pair of comfortable but stylish shoes, and some sandals. On impulse, she selected a little black dress, a small black clutch purse, a pair of black heels that would showcase her legs, and a simple but sexy black nightgown.

Tess understood that she and Frank had been thrown together by unusual circumstances and that their time together might be limited. She also knew that she was being influenced by a heavy dose of hero-worship. She didn't care. He was a nice guy, good looking, and supremely competent. She could do a lot worse and had done so several times.

The last two items that went into her cart were some batteries for her vibrator and another douche kit.

The bill came to a little more than four hundred dollars. Concerned about using her credit cards since she no longer had an address, she elected to pay cash. It put a sizeable dent in her capital reserves, but she felt it was worth every penny.

Taking out her new phone, she placed the call and grinned to herself when he answered.

"All done?"

"All done."

Returning to the motel, Tess asked for half an hour and Frank readily agreed.

"Call my room when you're ready to go," he told her as she gathered her purchases and retreated to her room.

Tess wanted another shower, another douche, and a change of clothes. The more she cleaned herself, inside and out, the more emotional distance she put between herself and Tony Brunetti.

She chose the wraparound dress and sandals to replace her athletic clothing. When she was ready to go, she checked herself in the mirror. The dress was a perfect fit and would get Frank's attention. Except for the bruise, she presented exactly the image she wanted; understated sexuality. On display were splendid legs from mid-thigh down to slender ankles and just a hint of cleavage.

When she stepped out into the hallway, Frank stared in stunned silence.

"What?" asked Tess with a smile.

"You are very, very beautiful," he breathed.

"Thank you, sir," Tess replied, and then executed a perfect curtsy.

****

The next few hours were among the most pleasant Tess could remember. She and Frank talked continuously about whatever topic came to mind. He spent a long time describing Beaufort and the surrounding area. It sounded like paradise to her. When they stopped for lunch, Frank suggested that, unless she had some other destination in mind, she should consider hanging around Beaufort for a while. Tess readily agreed.

"I'm sure you can recommend a decent place to stay. If I like the town, I'll look for work and then find a more permanent place to live.

"You're gonna like it, and I know just the place."

It was late afternoon when they arrived in Beaufort.

"If you aren't in a hurry, let me give you the cook's tour," Frank suggested.

"I'd like that," Tess replied with a smile.

Beaufort and the surrounding area were just as Frank had described them. Water was everywhere and the town itself was something out of a Norman Rockwell painting. Tess was enchanted and said so.

"Wait until you've been here a while," Frank told her. "You'll never want to leave."

At the end of the tour, Frank pulled up in front of a lovely Victorian home with a wide front porch in a neighborhood of lovely Victorian homes with wide front porches.

"What is this? A boarding house?" Tess inquired.

"This is my house," Frank answered. "I'd like you to consider staying here while you make your decisions. You'll have your own room and a private bath. The price is right and, I promise you, there are no strings attached."

"I don't know what to say, Frank," Tess murmured, thinking she had said the same thing several times already. "We haven't known each other even twenty-four hours yet."

"Come inside and take a look. If you don't want to stay, I do know of a nice place."

"Okay, I need to use the bathroom anyway," she replied as she got out of the car.

Tess was unprepared for what greeted her when she stepped inside the entryway. Someone had managed to retain the Victorian charm while allowing a modern motif to blend in. Highly polished hardwood floors, carefully placed oriental rugs, a large fireplace, and an eclectic selection of furnishings were augmented by exotic looking plants in the living room.

"This is lovely!" Tess exclaimed.

"Let me show you around," offered Frank.

Every room had its own character. The dining room was painted a deep red and featured an antique table with six matching chairs along with a modern hutch and wine rack. Somehow everything worked well together.

Typical of many homes from the late eighteen hundreds there was a parlor in addition to the living room, but it had been converted into an impressive office. Floor-to-ceiling book shelves, a massive desk, and two leather chairs flanking a Tiffany-style floor lamp were featured.

Wedged between the office and the kitchen was a half-bath with a modern pedestal sink and an antique commode with an overhead tank mounted high on the wall.

The kitchen would thrill any gourmet cook. Hardwood floors contrasted nicely with stark white cabinetry and dark green granite countertops. A dining alcove occupied one corner while a butcher block center island dominated the middle of the room. The appliances were all high-end stainless steel.

"I don't believe this," Tess murmured. "Everything is so beautiful."

"Let me show you the upstairs," Frank suggested, leading her back to the entryway where a staircase went up half a flight to a landing and then another half flight in the reverse direction to end at the second floor. At the top, a short hallway revealed an open door at each end.

"If you decide to stay, this will be your room," Frank said, gesturing towards one of the doors.

Tess stood in the doorway for a moment, staring in awe at a huge four-poster bed and a sitting area with an antique leather loveseat, a matching chair, and an end table with an ornate brass lamp. A triple dresser occupied one wall. Two skylights bathed the room in natural light.

Crossing to the bathroom, Tess looked in at a large shower stall on one end and a big claw-footed tub at the other. Sandwiched in between was a pair of modern sinks. The toilet was in a separate area with a pocket door for privacy. Another skylight illuminated the room.

"How can I turn down an offer to stay in a place like this?" Tess said softly as she peered into a sizeable walk-in closet.

"I was hoping you'd say that," Frank said with a wide grin.

"How did you find this place?"

"I stumbled across the listing soon after I was assigned to the police barracks here. It needed some work, and my resources were limited, so I did everything myself except for the skylights. I'm not fond of heights. I had the skylights installed on the back side of the roof so the Victorian purists wouldn't throw rocks at me," he said with a grin. "My room is the mirror image of this one but the furnishings are different."

"Well, I am going to accept your kind offer. I'll try not to be a burden or get in your way. I'll start looking for work on Monday and get my own place as soon as I can."

"Stay as long as you like. I'm pleased to have the company. And I meant what I said about no strings."

"Thank you," replied Tess, who had already reached the conclusion that a string or two might not be such a bad idea. "I'd better go get my things."

"Let me give you a hand," Frank offered and then paused as a delicate looking tortoiseshell cat entered the room. "But first allow me to introduce Miss Kitty. She runs the place."

"Oh my," said Tess. "What a pretty girl. Come say hello, sweetie," she added as she stooped to hold out her hand. Miss Kitty didn't move.

"Be careful," Frank advised. "She's more ferocious than she looks. She was feral when she showed up in my back yard. It took me about six months to gain her trust. If you try to touch her, you may get clawed."

"I'm sure we'll get along just fine," Tess countered as she rose to her feet. "I love cats."

"Me too. Let's go get your stuff."

When all her shopping bags had been deposited on the big four-poster, Frank turned to leave room. Miss Kitty was nowhere to be seen.

"Why don't you get settled in and then come downstairs when you're ready. We're in danger of missing happy hour."

"Can you make a martini?" Tess asked with a smile.

"I make the best martinis in North Carolina," he said as he pulled the door shut behind him.

****

Tess stood in the center of the bedroom for a moment, counting her blessings, and then began to organize her purchases. Most of her items went into drawers in the triple dresser, some she hung up in the closet which already contained a luxurious looking bathrobe and some extra blankets.

Tess was certain that Frank would honor his promise about strings. She knew he was attracted to her, but she believed he would not act on that attraction. When the time came, the first move would be up to her. She didn't know exactly when that would be, but she wanted it to be soon.

The day was quite warm, so Tess changed into shorts, a sleeveless blouse, and then kicked off her sandals, opting for bare feet. After running a brush through her hair, she examined the bruise in the bathroom mirror. Somehow, it didn't look quite as bad as it had earlier in the day. Mostly concentrated on her left cheekbone, the swelling was gone and she knew she could make it nearly invisible with the makeup she had purchased. For the time being, she decided to leave it alone.

Frank was waiting for her in the kitchen. As soon as Tess entered the room, he stood transfixed at the sight of her for the second time that day.

"You're staring," she said with a smile, pleased with the effect she was having on him.

"I'm...I'm sorry," he stammered, and then poured two generous drinks, added olives skewered on miniature swords, and gestured toward the front of the house with one of the glasses.

"Let's have these on the front porch," he suggested.

"Let's," Tess responded, still smiling.

One end of the porch had a couple of rocking chairs separated by a low table. The other end featured a porch swing.

"Your choice," Frank said, gesturing with a drink in each direction. Tess preferred the intimacy of the swing. Frank looked pleased.

As soon as they were seated, Miss Kitty jumped onto the swing and began to purr as she rubbed her whiskers against Tess's arm.

"I don't believe this!" exclaimed Frank, grinning at the pleased look on Tess's face. "I've never seen her do that before."

"I told you I love cats. They can always tell," Tess replied as she scratched Miss Kitty behind her ears. The purring continued.

The next couple of hours were ones Tess would remember for the rest of her life. She had known Frank for less than a day, but found his company invigorating. As they sipped their drinks and talked quietly, a nearly continuous stream of neighbors began passing by on the sidewalk, waving and calling out to Frank who responded in kind. Miss Kitty stayed put.

"Is the neighborhood always this active in the evening?" asked Tess.

"Not usually," Frank answered with a chuckle. "Apparently, one of my neighbors spotted you and then activated the informal phone tree. Tongues are now wagging at high speed. Everyone is dying of curiosity about you. This will continue until we go inside or it gets dark."

"Am I the first girl to sit on this swing with you?" Tess asked with a smile.

"No, but you are by far the most beautiful, and there hasn't been anyone here in a long time."

****

"Do you like steak?" Frank asked after their second martini. It was after seven o'clock and Miss Kitty was inside having her dinner.

"I'll eat anything but liver and I love steak," Tess replied.

"Good. If you're hungry, let's go out onto the back deck and I'll fire up the grill. We'll have baked potato and corn on the cob also."

"That sounds really good. The drinks have awakened my appetite."

Two hours and a bottle of Cabernet later, Frank checked his watch.

"Tess, I know you must be tired. You have been through a lot the last couple of days. I won't be offended if you would like to turn in early. I'll clean all this up."

"Frank, you're right. I am tired and I've had a lot to process. I'll be better company tomorrow."

"You've been wonderful company all day. I can't remember the last time I felt this good."

"Believe me, neither can I."

"Well then, have a good night Tess."

"You have a good night too Frank," Tess replied with a smile.

****

Tess wasn't really very tired; she just needed a little time to think. She wasn't one to delude herself, at least not for very long. When something wasn't right, particularly in a relationship, she was soon aware of what she needed to do. Her problem was that she was sometimes slow to take action. But she was equally capable of sensing when something was right.

Less than forty-eight hours before, she had been beaten and sexually assaulted by a man who should never have been in her life. Now she was several hundred miles away, getting ready to spend one or more nights in the home of a man she had known for less than a day.

Tess spent an hour thinking and rethinking her situation, eventually deciding that there was little risk in what she was about to do.

A search of the bathroom revealed a hair dryer under the sink, plus herbal shampoo and a bar of nicely scented soap in the shower stall. Stepping into the luxurious stream of hot water, she washed her hair and lathered every square inch of her body.

The inexpensive sexy black nightgown from Target had apparently been made with her body in mind. The fit was perfect and the image reflected in the mirror served as proof. Pondering the bruise, she toyed with the idea of covering it up but finally decided otherwise. Frank had not yet seen her unblemished. Somehow, using makeup now seemed disingenuous.

When all was ready, she glanced at her watch on the dresser and opened her door. Miss Kitty trotted in, jumped up on the bed and began to groom her fur.

"See you later, Miss Kitty," whispered Tess as she left the door open in case the cat wanted to go elsewhere.

Arriving at Frank's door, Tess suddenly didn't know what to do next. What if he was sound asleep? Hell, he's a cop, she thought to herself. He's certain to have a firearm within reach. The last thing she wanted to do was startle him.

"Come on in Tess," he said, startling her instead.

Having been caught in the act somehow, Tess shrugged, took a deep breath, and turned the doorknob.

Frank was sitting up against his headboard, barechested, with a book propped up on his knees. From the look on his face, she knew that her nearly naked presence in his doorway was the last thing he expected to see.

"It's our anniversary," Tess announced with a smile, suddenly very sure of herself.

"What do you mean," asked a very puzzled Frank, his voice husky with emotion.

"Twenty-four hours ago we formally introduced ourselves to each other. I think a little celebration is in order," she replied.

Frank gave her a long look and then pulled the bedclothes aside, inviting her to join him. Tess crossed the room and perched on the side of his bed.