Saving the Starlight Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You too? I mentioned that to Ivan and he said not to worry as there was more than a week to go."

"I tried to convince myself of that but failed to be convinced that everything was going well."

"I see. Look Ivan has a special advisory committee of executives at the Council that includes three members of the public who are specialists in their professions. I use it on my big projects. I'll call them together for lunch tomorrow and will call you."

"Angela that's great. You have been so good to me."

"If it hadn't been for you Fenton, we would have lost Starlight."

* * *

After Trinity arrived home for early lunch before going to her community law office to catch up after a day and a half absence, Fenton sat her down and said, "The fire over Paul and Kimberly's romance has reduced to a flicker."

Fenton had expected to be told to keep his nose out of it. Instead Trinity burst into tears and sobbed, "I'm sorry worried and it's even worst finding out you've noticed."

That could have been interpreted as a rather provocative comment but Fenton let it go. He cuddled Trinity and the sobs diminished.

"What can be done about it?"

"I have in mind some little adjustments for them and a big adjustment for you?"

"What?"

Fenton told her to listen without interruption and she complied.

"Jesus."

He awaited elaboration on that outburst, not knowing whether than was approval or rejection.

Finally, "That's brilliant Fenton."

Thirty seconds later she kissed him, re-did her make-up and raced off to her father's office.

She called Fenton an hour later.

"It's all done. I've just handed in my resignation here and will help find my replacement and even sub-contracting to them if they become desperate. I start on Monday as dad's associate and he's already book for a week in Melbourne straight after the stadium event. He's so grateful, believing you've hit it on the button. When I arrive home I'll make your eyes bulge darling."

Fenton had already called Beth and she was almost climbing down the phone to him in excitement, saying what a wonderful idea. She'd known it was over to her to kick-start her marriage.

"Chances are a changed environment will create a new man," she chirped.

"I may not work Beth."

"I know and thanks for the warning dear one. But if one does nothing, nothing works."

Fenton thought about that and agreed.

He phoned Sally and asked what was wrong. She knew what he was on about but didn't want to talk about it.

"You're in decline Sally and it will affect your performance at work, at home and as trust chairman."

"I decided two weeks ago to return to being true to Bryce."

"Sally," Fenton yelled, almost deafening her. "Your mind and body are in acute withdrawal. I've never come across a woman like you who's utterly made to have sex like you seem to require. Grab a guy, grab a couple Sally and rev yourself up again. If you want to withdraw then do it slowly and systematically."

"You Mr Prude are giving me advice that I must say is perceptive and makes good sense."

"I tend to work better with ideas than doing the job Sally. Just break out and get back to the Sally we all know. Men love a woman who generously puts it around Sally even if they personally don't imbibe. Think about it Sally."

"I have and as soon as you end this conversation I'm off to collect some old favours."

Fenton spent the rest of the day working with Gavin Robinson on contract documentation.

* * *

Angela Radwanksi more than proved her worth as Wainui's 'First Lady' using the talents of her special projects committee and pulling and pushing elsewhere. In Monday's issue of the Metro she had her husband the Mayor announce that the 'biggest parade this city has seen since the celebrations marking the end of World War 2 would roll through the city on Saturday morning from 10 am. The parade would mark the huge gala launching of the Save the Starlight Mission at the stadium on Sunday.

The Mayor said it was a surprise parade to test the support of the community for the Save the Starlight Mission. The organisers were flabbergasted by immediate feedback.

Individuals and groups had seized the opportunity to participate in the carnival parade that would include mobile displays of clubs, marching bands, horse and pony clubs, marching contingents of Army and Naval personal accompanied by mobile weaponry, but not tanks, jugglers, dancing troupes and children in fancy dress, trick cyclists.

At 10.30 while the parade was passing there would be a low-level flypast of Air Force transport aircraft followed by a flypast its new acquisition of nine tactical defence helicopters, their first group display in public.

Mayor Radwanksi urged everyone to turn out and watch the festival parade where commercialism would be very low-key.

"This will be People's Morning in the city and everyone from far and wide is urged to attend."

He innocently repeated his wife's lie that the stadium was filling fast for Sunday's huge family concert and other live entertainment and tickets would be available stationed along the parade route for a minimum donation to the Save the Starlight public appeal of $20 a seat, children aged 16 and under would be admitted free provided they were accompanied by adults.

"If you enter the mood and pay $100 a ticket to help retain the Starlight there will be no complaint about over-generosity from me," the Mayor's article concluded.

An accompanying article announced that Mr Fenton Murdoch, the property developer behind the Save the Starlight Cinema push who would build a twin-tower structure over it but leaving the Starlight with its reconstructed Art Deco street frontage, had donated ten $500 cash prizes to seat holders in lucky draws to be conducted under police supervision mid-afternoon at the Events Centre on Sunday.

Trinity snuggled up against Fenton in bed as they both read the huge promotion in the newspaper.

Trinity cooed said, "Oh my goodness, this is brilliantly done. It even excites me despite were briefed by Angela about what to expect. Fenton you have a remarkable skill of tapping into the right source at the right time. I had no idea that Angela could perform such a feat. It was a huge risk and you took it."

"A risk? Not at all; I sensed that Angela was a person in the right position who secretly wished to make her mark in this community and after briefing her I left her to take the bit in her teeth and go for it. We'll fill that stadium on Sunday now without doubt."

And that's what happened; less than 200 seats were not taken and Centre management told the media the event was a sell-out.

Update

Paul and Kimberley married and are spending their honeymoon on a cruise around the Mediterranean.

Reconstruction of the Starlight is almost completed; the steelwork of second of the twin towers above it has just reached final level to support the roofing.

The fund-raising has reached $2.8 million and big donations from two national finance institutions are imminent, one having negotiated naming rights for the bar and cafe area and the other corporation being granted naming rights to be incorporated into all live theatre productions and in signage naming the Starlight Theatre.

Fenton's mother has emerged as a real card sharp and is on the Bridge committee.

Trinity and Fenton amuse their friends by continuing to act like love-birds. They plan to marry in the spring and their steel and glass contemporary home is being built on the unofficially called Snob's Hill (actually Neptune Heights) overlooking the port to the right and then around in a panoramic view of the city, coastline and sea to also take in the landmark building Garfia Towers under construction in the mid-distance near the foreshore.

The End

12