Savior, Alpha Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KemMyst
KemMyst
1,303 Followers

"What?"

"That came out wrong. You weren't born wolf, so your injuries are worse and take longer to heal. That makes it harder."

"Ryan told me." A pause. "He told me he planned the attack for now because you're pregnant and he thought you'd be easier to kill."

She murmured quietly. "They almost succeeded."

"I want you, and our children, alive, with me for a long time. I don't ever want to lose you because of this. I don't want our family destroyed."

"You can't believe I want that either. It wouldn't happen if it was just us. But I'm responsible for the others. I know it bothers you, that you worry, and I'm sorry for that. But this is the way the society of wolves works; change is always difficult. Here, even moreso. I won't run away and I'm sorry I can't run away for you."

He put his arms back around her and rubbed his nose against hers. Diana kicked him. "Stubborn. So stubborn, wife. So brave. So maddening."

He stood and extended his hand to her. "Let's go home."

*****

Rose's birthday was coming up and Anne was working on a small, stuffed wolf made out of scraps of hide. She started work again and Rose crawled into her lap to watch and admire.

Leaning against her mother's belly, she was jolted by her sister's movements. "Mama, she keeps kicking me."

Anne chuckled. "I know, Rose. Hey, why don't you sing her a song, a lullaby?"

Rose threw her arms around her mother's belly and put her face against it. "Go to sleep. Go to sleep, little baby." She started humming.

After a few moments, the kicking stopped. Anne laid a hand on her daughter's head. "That's great, sweetie. You feel it? She stopped. I think you put her to sleep. Thank you." Anne worked a bit longer as Rose continued humming.

Beth and Emily walked up, smiling at the sight. "OK, what is Rose doing?"

"Humming her sister to sleep. I'm amazed, but it's working."

"She's calmed down?" Anne nodded. "Good, you've got another way."

Evan ran up. "Rosie! C'mon! Grant's got a rabbit cornered."

"Can I go, mama?"

"Of course, sweetie."

Rose took off after her brother as Beth and Emily sat nearby. "Getting there."

"I just can't get the muzzle to look quite right."

*****

Ethan woke to find she was gone from the bed. Middle of the night runs to the bathroom were becoming more common. He rolled over, pressing his nose into her side of the bed, inhaling her scent. She smelled different now, but so good. He waited for her to return to the bed. A few minutes passed, a few more.

Something was wrong.

He looked at Rose and left the room, looking for his wife. Her scent led through the common room and outside. The moon was out and bright. Where was she?

He followed her scent, out of the yard, past the lake, downhill. She'd gone to wolf and was standing over the remains of their attackers.

He came up beside her. She ignored him, staring at the bones and remnants of flesh and hide. He rubbed against her. Nothing. He shifted and put his arms around her. "Anne? Anne?" Still nothing. What the hell was going on? It was like she didn't even know he was there. He took her muzzle and pointed her face at him. "Anne?"

She pulled away and ran back to the cabin. He shifted and followed her. She entered, got a drink, and went to their bedroom. She crawled onto the bed and curled up. It sounded as if she was asleep immediately. He looked at her, came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her.

The next morning at breakfast he broached the subject. "Love, did you know you sleepwalk?"

"I don't sleepwalk."

"How many times did I call to you last night?" She looked at him. "Three times. You were out at... you were outside and you never even knew I was there."

"I never... Really? You're sure it wasn't a dream?"

"It wasn't a dream. Anyone know if she's done it before?"

"No one's ever said anything."

"Outside?" Ethan nodded. "How far did I get?"

"Far enough." She looked at him. "A couple miles."

She closed her eyes, bit her lip. "Why is this happening?"

"Sh, sh, sh. You're okay. It's only happened once."

Two nights later, she was gone again.

He tracked her to the ridge this time. She was standing there, looking out over the compound. The moon was brighter now, fuller. She sat on her haunches, facing into the breeze.

He stood, watching her, watching over her, until she moved, returning to the cabin.

The next night, she rose with the moon, full now, and ventured out into the yard.

He jerked awake. She was gone again. He reached over; the bed was cold. She'd been gone for a while.

He jumped out of the bed and headed outside since that's where she's gone before. He shifted to wolf just outside the door and rushed out. Then stopped dead.

He saw her clearly in the light of the full moon, standing in the yard. Her eyes were glowing as she dropped her nose to the ground and sniffed. A growl rumbled in her chest as she stared, at nothing. She skipped sideways and lunged, jaws open.

Fighting, she was reliving the fight.

He moved closer. She caught his movement, snarled, and came at him. Startled, he twisted, and he knocked her off balance. She jumped up, growling, and he knocked her down again. Shifting, he grabbed her. She growled; she struggled. "Anne. Anne, listen to me." More struggling. "Anne, stop! You beat them. You won. You're home. You're safe."

She tried to bite him. He held her tightly. "Smell me. I'm not one of them. I'm your husband. I love you. Anne. WAKE UP!"

She calmed briefly, looking at him, but remaining wolf. Her chest heaved as he loosened his grip a little. "Love. You've won. We're OK. You were amazing. Come back to me."

She closed her eyes and he watched her change. There was fear in those brown eyes. She looked around. "Ethan?" He sat back on his heels. "Oh, gods, what's happening to me?"

"Shh, sweetheart, you'll be alright. It's just going to take time."

"I feel like I'm coming apart, like..." A close lightning strike. A loud clap of thunder. The night turned dark as the clouds covered the moon.

She jumped, shifted, and bolted. "Anne!" One word before he shifted and went after her. She ran up to the top of the ridge and stood, facing the storm. Lightning flashed again as he came up on her. The rain poured down, soaking them both through.

Still she stood, in defiance of the storm.

He changed. "Anne? It's not safe here. We need to get inside! Anne!" He crouched in front of her.

She changed, standing, ignoring Ethan as he stood next to her. She clenched her fists, raised her head, and screamed at the sky.

"Anne! We have to get home. Now! Come with me." He shifted to wolf and was happy to see her shift too. He started back down and turned to see she was still standing atop the ridge, rain sheeting across her fur. She lifted her muzzle and howled as another lightning strike lit the landscape, bathing her in unearthly light. She was gonna get killed.

He howled a response and she stopped to look at him. She then looked to the moon, peeking through the storm clouds, and trotted down after him.

The storm disturbed everyone's sleep. Some woke, others rolled over, Rose whimpered and woke, alone in the bedroom. She now got a little more frightened and walked into the common room. "Mama? Daddy?"

The scream jolted everyone from their beds and the adults tumbled out into the common room. The boys, startled from sleep, followed after.

"What's happening?"

"Rose, where are your parents?"

"I don't know."

They heard Anne's howl and Ethan's answer and headed out into the storm. Wind and rain lashed them as they stood and took in the situation. Ethan was coming toward them but Anne was standing halfway down the ridge, looking to the moon, facing the storm.

Another howl from her, this time echoed by the other five adults.

Evan looked at Rose and Grant. "I'm going out. C'mon, Rosie."

"I'm scared."

"Don't be a baby."

Evan went out, followed reluctantly by Rose. Grant brought up the rear.

Anne came further down, standing in the yard, in the midst of the battlefield, her eyes glowing amber.

Another lightning strike. Rose yipped and ran to her mother's side, nudging her muzzle. Anne dropped her nose, sniffing around. Nothing, no remaining scent from the attackers. Rose stuck close to her mother.

Anne sat as Rose nuzzled her again. Raising her muzzle to the moon, she howled once more. Rose sat and howled, mirroring her mother. The others joined in.

Ethan went over and licked her muzzle. Evan joined his family in the rain as it started to ebb. Anne dropped her muzzle and looked at her mate clear-eyed. She looked at the rest of her pack, licked both her children, and led them all back inside.

There was much shaking of fur and a search for dry hides as the last rumbles of thunder died away. "OK, how did I manage to get you all outside in a storm?"

Ethan put his arms around her, pulled her close and kissed her. "Tell us what you remember."

"We were up on the ridge. You were, I guess, restraining me?" Ethan nodded. "I changed back and you let me go. It was raining, storming."

"Then, suddenly, Rose was next to me in the yard, howling. And the rest of you were outside too."

"Nothing in between?" She shook her head.

"When I woke up you were gone and the bed was cold. I figured you were outside again so I went out. There you were. Standing in the yard sniffing. Then you growled and jumped at someone, someone who wasn't there. When you noticed me you came at me. I got you down and held you, trying to get you to recognize me. You snapped out of it when I yelled 'Wake up'. A lightning strike sent you up the ridge, facing down the storm."

"I kept trying to get you back in but you didn't know I was there. You just stood and screamed at the sky."

"That's what woke us."

"I tried to get you to come back down and went wolf. You changed and I started down, hoping you'd follow."

"Rose was out here, looking for you. When the two of you howled we went outside."

"You were still on top of the ridge and I was halfway down. I thought you might be struck by lightning but you started down."

"We came outside. You were halfway down the hill. You howled, and we answered."

"I said I was going out and told Rosie to come. Grant came out with us. Mom, you were in the yard and your eyes were yellow. Rosie got scared at the lightning and ran over to you."

"Did not."

"Did too."

Rose stuck her tongue out at her brother. "OK, Rose, tell us what happened."

"Nobody was next to you, so I went over." Anne smiled indulgently at her daughter and nodded. "You were sniffing the ground, but it was all wet. Then you sat down and howled, so I did too."

"We all did."

"Then Daddy and Evan came over and you looked at us and we came inside."

"Love, how do you feel?"

She exhaled. "Purged. Cleansed." The others looked confused. "Better. Nnh." Her arms covered her bulging belly.

Grant and Evan had already fallen asleep. "OK, everyone. Excitement's over. Let's get some sleep."

They all retired to their respective bedrooms, leaving the boys to sleep where they were. Ethan picked up his daughter, kissed and hugged her. "Thank you, Rose." Rose smiled and hugged her father's neck. Anne kissed her, as well, before Ethan put her down on the pallet in their bedroom.

"Goodnight, sweetie."

"Goodnight, mama. Good night, daddy. Goodnight, sissy."

Anne smiled to herself.

A rivulet of cold water ran down Anne's back from her hair and she shivered as Ethan's arms went around her. "Come, now, little one, you should sleep too."

"She really seems to want attention or something."

"OK, love, let's see about getting you some more sleep. First, though, I'll have a little talk with our daughter." Anne nodded and sat on the edge of the bed. He put his mouth against her belly.

"Now, young lady, we've all had a hard day. I know it's been tough on you but it has on your mother, too. It's late and I want you to get a little sleep and you'll feel better in the morning." He listened to his wife sigh in relief as the baby calmed down.

"Now, wife," he started to lay her back on the bed, "between the moon and your hair, I think you'll sleep better as wolf tonight." He pushed her hair off her forehead and kissed her. "Sleep now."

She closed her eyes and shifted. He stroked her fur, scratched her ears, petted her, until she fell asleep. He changed as well and curled his body around that of his mate.

*****

The nightmares and sleepwalking stopped and things returned to the mundane. The wounds she sustained were reduced to angry red scars. The children played, as did the couples. Anne's belly got bigger as the birth approached.

He took to wearing a knife around his neck on a thong. The baby was due soon and his children came quickly with her. She could have Diana just about anywhere, or anytime now.

He had woken to her calling his name when Rose came. The labor had been short. So he wanted to be prepared.

Beth had noted contradictory signs when she last checked Anne. While she was slightly dilated, Diana had not tipped head down. Breech births tended to be difficult and could be deadly.

He had gotten a crash course in emergency obstetrics from Beth. He was overly sensitive now to her breathing, her heart rate, watched what she ate, and that she drank enough.

Diana was still very active, continuing to make Anne uncomfortable. There were only a few things that would quiet her. Really spicy food, for a short time. A strong orgasm. Rose, humming against her belly. And Ethan, talking to her.

*****

It was high summer, and she was very ready to be not pregnant anymore. Feet, elbows, the constant movement, she felt bruised from the inside. She was so tired she ended up dozing often during the day, but only for short periods. The nest she put together this time was sparse. She did spend time in it, but not as much as during her previous pregnancies. She just couldn't get comfortable anywhere.

She went into labor down at the lake. She had waded in to cool off when she doubled up.

"Mama? Mama, what's wrong?"

Anne panted a little. "Your sister has decided it's time to come out. Would you get your father, sweetie?"

"OK." Rose ran off, yelling in a singsong voice. "I'm gonna get a little sister!"

Emily and Lorna flanked Anne, to help her out of the lake and back to the cabin. "Grant, go get your mother."

Anne stopped frequently as the contractions were coming quickly. She panted and groaned as Ethan ran up. "Now?" Anne gave a ghost of a smile, nodded, and clutched her belly. "Where do you want to go?"

Panting. "Too hot in the cabin. Mmm." She stopped them again.

"Oh, boy, this is fast isn't it?" Anne nodded. "Where's Beth?"

"Coming. Love, why don't you get a hide?"

Lorna moved off as Ethan took her place beside Anne. "The yard?" Anne looked at him and nodded, panting. "Evan?"

"Yes, daddy?"

"Go get some water and a cloth." Evan headed off.

Beth came up; she'd recently discovered she was expecting again. "Water break?"

Emily responded, "Yes. She's in active labor. The baby's coming quickly."

Anne got a bit grumpy. "Standing right here."

"OK, Anne. Can you tell me how fast Rose came?"

Another contraction. "Oh. Mm." Panting. "Two or three hours."

"OK. Let's get set up." Lorna smoothed down the hide and Emily and Ethan lowered Anne onto it, groaning, her back braced against a log under the shade of a large elm. Nick came up with the first aid kit and tools.

Evan brought out the water and a cloth. Beth now checked on Anne and the baby.

"OK, Anne, breech birth but she's decided to come earlier, like your last three. Hopefully, we won't have too much trouble." Anne nodded and clutched Ethan's hand strongly enough to make him wince as another contraction hit.

The whole pack had gathered around, as their Alpha prepared to give birth to her 14th child.

She panted, she whined, she clutched Ethan's hand.

Emily was wiping her forehead, her neck, her shoulders, trying to keep her cool, but she was just dripping with sweat.

Ethan looked at Beth. "Would this be easier if she were wolf?"

Beth shook her head. "Never second guess the mother." Anne smirked a little. "Especially if she's had more than one."

"Ooooowwwwwww." Her head tipped back and she whimpered.

"Ethan? Why don't you get behind her?"

He squeezed in behind her, wrapped his hips around hers, and lightly brought her back against his chest.

Fluid began leaking from her breasts. Evan pointed. "What's that for?"

"She's ready for your little sister. She'll be hungry."

"Why don't you all go back down to the lake?"

"C'mon, kids, let's go." Lorna started down; the boys followed.

"I wanna see!"

"Alright, Rose. Just stay out of the way."

Anne closed her eyes, panted, hummed. "Alright, Anne, let's take a look, shall we?" Beth raised her knees and spread them. Anne held them open, her legs shaking as another contraction hit.

"EEEeee!"

Beth did a quick examination. "Almost there. Looks like you've probably got a Frank presentation."

Anne nodded. Ethan looked at Beth. "Is that good?"

"That's the best of the lot, Ethan. Less chance of any trouble."

Anne relaxed back against Ethan and twined her fingers in his. He kissed her neck. "OK, Anne. It's OK."

The next contraction hit and her hands left Ethan's and dug into the dirt beside her. "Ooooo!"

Ethan's arms went around her. "Don't touch me!"

Ethan looked hurt. Beth looked at him sympathetically. "It's hot and she hurts."

Anne gave Beth a dirty look as the contraction ended.

"Ooh, Mama, there's blood."

"It's OK, Rose. How do you feel, Anne?"

"Close." More panting. "Ok. Mmm. Oh. Time to push."

"OK, everyone, here we go."

"NNnnh." Ethan's hands were on her shoulders. "I love you." She tipped her head back against him and he felt her entire body tense. "Breathe, love."

She growled at him. "Don't. Tell me. How. To do this."

Rose came up beside her mother and put a small hand on her arm. "Mama, does it hurt?" Anne's eyes opened and she looked at her daughter, panting.

"Yes, Rose."

Rose put on a sad face. "Did it hurt when I was born?" Anne nodded, biting back a cry of pain. "I'm sorry."

Anne laughed, winced, and groaned. Beth said, "Right hip, definite Frank."

"Oooo!" The cry rang out across the yard and Nick and Lorna looked up at the sound.

"Again." Beth commanded. "Let's get this little girl out."

"Mama, it's her butt!"

Ethan grinned. "Rose, why don't you get a hide for your sister?"

"Again, Anne." Anne groaned, pushing. "Hung up on the cord, hold on a second."

Ethan sucked in a breath; this was what had happened with Erich. "OK, Ethan, arms around her. I'll rotate and we'll be done. Here we go, Anne."

Anne leaned forward, gritted her teeth, and Ethan helped her push. She fell back, panting, as squalling reached their ears. Beth smiled. "Hello, Diana", and placed her on Anne's belly. Anne's hands reached out to touch her daughter.

Ethan's voice was quiet in her ear. "Look at that hair."

Unlike the others, Diana had been born with a full head of dark hair.

Anne examined her thoroughly as Rose came back, dragging their bedcovers. "Ten fingers. Ten toes. Eyes. Nose. Mouth."

"You've got a beautiful daughter, Anne."

"Oh, love, she's gorgeous."

"Is that her?" Beth nodded. "She looks funny." Anne laughed as she cradled her new daughter. "Hello, Sissy, I'm Rose."

Epilogue

The evidence came with the afterbirth. Anne had been right, she had originally thought she had been carrying twins. However, as sometimes happened, the second fetus failed to thrive and was partially resorbed. The afterbirth showed a mass of flesh that had been Diana's twin.

Diana was different from all her other children in many ways. She was dark. Both her hair and her eyes. She never lost the dark hair she had been born with. Her fur was a deep charcoal, almost black with a silver sheen. Her eyes, well, you could fall into them. They were startling.

KemMyst
KemMyst
1,303 Followers