Second Chance Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
S-Des
S-Des
3,003 Followers

Even that doesn't help because it turns out she ruined my life for a short-term fling, he thought bitterly.

Tim felt his anger over the situation growing. There were many things he'd been keeping inside for years, unwilling to talk about to anyone. He could feel them bubbling to the surface and pushing him to strike back at the source of that pain.

"So let me get this straight, you're expecting me to take the word of the woman who had been fucking around on me for who knows how long?"

She shook her head, glancing at the tables around them. "It wasn't like that, Tim." She looked at the people around our table. "This really isn't the place to have that conversation. I was hoping to answer anything you wanted afterward, when we could speak somewhere private."

"You mean I actually have to talk to you again?" He took a great deal of pleasure from the pained reaction in her eyes.

"Fine, we won't talk about you stabbing me in the back with Jake. We'll move on to a different topic...Just how many times did you screw around on me while we were dating? I'm impressed at how easily you fooled me into believing you were such a loving, faithful girlfriend. Those are some excellent acting skills; you really picked the wrong profession."

"There was never anyone else," she said quietly.

"OK, we'll assume you're telling the truth, based on your long history of honesty with me. So when you decided to move up to someone better, why didn't you just tell me instead of letting me make a fool of myself," he spat. "Unless that was the plan...let me think we had something we didn't so that you could laugh at me with your new friends."

"Jake was a lot of things, but being better than you was not one of them," she replied, dropping her eyes. "I was planning on telling you when it happened, but you were so busy...it just all went wrong."

"Oh, so it's my fault you couldn't keep your pants on?" Tim asked vindictively.

"No, of course not. Everything was my fault," she said, looking intently into his eyes. "I just meant that I couldn't find a way to talk to you about it. I felt horrible about what I'd done."

"Yeah, I definitely got that impression when you walked out of his bathroom asking where your clothes were. You sounded utterly miserable."

Normally, Tim was the kind of person who was content to keep his feelings inside, refusing to share what he really thought with others. However, since he hadn't been able to get the kind of satisfaction he expected, he chose to use her as a verbal punching bag. Five years of doubt and anger was mercilessly unloaded on her, oblivious to her reactions to the vitriol.

By the time dinner finally arrived, Tim had spent his anger and just wanted to leave. He told the waitress to put his food in a box. She gave him a strange look, then walked back toward the kitchen.

He stood, grabbing his jacket. "Thanks for dinner, Donna. You were right. This was really helpful. I do feel a lot better." He watched her struggling to hold herself together, then turned to grab dinner from the waitress and stormed out the door.

Instead of going straight to the house, he drove to the store down the street to grab some aspirin for the pounding headache he was starting to feel. The high from the confrontation was beginning to wane and his mood was turning, leaving him exhausted and confused about what he should be feeling.

On the way back, he passed a park at the side of the road. There was one lone car sitting under one of the streetlights, and it immediately caught his attention. It took about a block to realize that it looked like the car Donna had driven to his house Wednesday.

What's this all about? he wondered. An uncomfortable feeling in his gut began to grow. He drove for two more blocks, unable to push the questions from his mind. Something even stronger than anger was gnawing at him. He couldn't identify the emotion, but it was powerful and finally won out, causing him to turn around and head back to the park.

He pulled into the lot to take a closer look. There was no doubt in his mind that it was Donna's car. It was a beat up older four-door model with a dent in the driver's side door. Tim parked several spaces down, trying to decide if he should check on her or just let it go.

It's not my responsibility, he tried telling himself.

Despite his attempts to talk himself out of it, something kept pushing him to see what was wrong. No amount of anger on his part could compensate for the feeling that he needed to be sure she was all right. Finally he gave up fighting and got out, slowly approaching her car. As he got a little closer, the streetlight light above suddenly came on, illuminating the interior of her car.

The discomfort in his stomach turned into a painful knot as he could clearly see her arms folded across the steering wheel, her head down against them. She was crying, her body shaking violently as she sobbed out of control.

The emotion that had been bothering him was now easily recognizable...guilt. Tim was sure that Donna knew he might tear into her, especially after his less than warm reception Wednesday. It finally dawned on him that she probably expected the scene in the restaurant and came anyway, giving him the chance for payback. She hadn't tried to excuse her actions, and refused to try to seek sympathy. Instead, she held it together until he left, then drove to the parking lot to be alone.

Tim knew that he should have every right to be angry with her, and to even despise her for what she had done to him. However, watching her in so much pain reached him in a way that he didn't believe possible. The feelings he held for her years earlier rushed back like an avalanche, making him feel unbearable remorse for his behavior.

Cautiously, he stepped forward and tapped on the window, but she didn't respond, so he hit a little harder. Donna jerked back and turned her head quickly, startled by the unexpected intrusion. She looked at Tim and immediately turned her face away, hiding it in her hands.

"Go away please! I can't talk to you right now," she whimpered. He could barely make out her words through the sobs.

Tim watched her for a moment, his heart in his throat. Suddenly he didn't see the older, less confident Donna. He didn't see the woman who betrayed him with Jake. Instead he only saw the girl who was his best friend in college, who was his first lover, and who had been a part of so many of his happiest memories. His need to "win" the confrontation was instantly forgotten, and all he could think of was trying to find a way to fix what he had done. Seeing she had left the door unlocked, he reached for the handle and pulled.

Donna turned and saw Tim opening the door and tried to slide away across the seat. He put a hand on her arm gently, trying to show her that he was genuinely concerned.

"Come here," he scolded softly. Cautiously, she let him tug her closer, then allowed herself to be pulled from the car. He didn't think twice, just put both arms around her and crushed her against his chest. She put up a token resistance, then allowed her head to rest against his shoulder. Tim could feel her body shaking as she gave up attempting to control her emotions. She pulled herself against him tightly, and allowed years of holding back to spill out unconstrained.

Tim was surprised to find himself feeling emotions he wasn't prepared for and was instantly uncomfortable with the embrace. The way his feelings were thrown into chaos was dizzying. He found it impossible to pull away though. The only thing running through his mind was how fragile and lost she seemed, and how he had been the cause.

"I'm so sorry for everything," she sobbed. "There's just no way make you understand..." She trailed off, continuing to cry against his chest.

"It's okay, just let it out," he encouraged her, trying to redeem himself for his earlier performance. He continued to speak softly while stroking Donna's hair and holding her close. She settled against him, her body fitting against his exactly as he remembered from years before. It was the first time since then he could recall it feeling natural to hold a woman.

Don't do this, he thought frantically, trying to will himself not to respond to her closeness. The person you remember is a ghost. You don't know if she was ever real.

Finally, her sobs abated and her breathing returned to normal. She pulled away and looked into his eyes.

"Thank you," she said and wiped her face with her sleeve. She turned away and tried to compose herself. "You didn't have to do that. I promised myself that I wouldn't fall apart in front of you."

"Why?" came his puzzled response.

"Because, it's not fair to you. When I decided to try to talk to you, it was just to be honest about everything. I didn't come here to make you feel sorry for me."

Tim sat down on the hood of her car and patted the spot next to him. Obediently, she sat down.

"I'm sorry Donna. I was horrible to you tonight. What you said just caught me off guard. The truth is, I do wonder about what really happened, it's just complicated for me. I was really angry with you for a long time. The truth is I still am."

"You have every right to be," she said quietly. "If the situation was reversed, I don't know if I'd ever want to talk to you again."

Tim sighed; it was obvious this wasn't going to be easy for either of them. "Let me make you a deal, we'll pretend the restaurant didn't happen. You follow me to my house, we'll warm up this delicious looking dinner you bought me, and catch up on each other's lives. No more talk about anything bad, just old friends who haven't seen each other in a long time. What do you say?"

Donna looked stunned, but grateful. "I'd say that you are full of surprises. I would love to have the chance to spend just a little time catching up before..." She took his hand and squeezed. "I know that this is all very hard on you. It is for me too. I want you to know how much I appreciate you being so kind. It's more than I deserve."

"Uh, uh," he scolded. "We agreed, no more talk about bad things."

She smiled, looking a little embarrassed, then slid back into her car. Tim jogged back to his, then pulled out of the parking lot.

As he turned onto the street, the thought occurred to him that he felt good. Unlike the feeling of euphoria at the restaurant, this wasn't tinged with guilt. The way he handled the situation made him feel strong and in control. More in charge of his life than he could ever remember.

Donna followed him home where they finished dinner. They talked until well after midnight, reliving stories from college and laughing without reservation. Tim carefully steered the conversation away from potential problem areas, noticing her reluctance to take charge. He was a little unsettled to see how unsure of herself she had become, but assumed he'd learn more about it when they talked about what had happened.

When the conversation ground to a halt and he saw her yawn, Tim decided to call it a night. "You look like you're ready to fall out Donna. We don't have to do everything in one night. Why don't you get some sleep?"

"That might be a good idea," she conceded. "Could I get some coffee, I need a pick-me-up before I get behind the wheel."

He gave her a dubious appraisal, trying to decide if he wanted her driving. She appeared to be exhausted.

"Donna, the motel is over a half hour away, why don't you just stay here tonight. I have a nice guest room with a really comfortable bed and you're welcome to it. You can go back first thing in the morning instead."

She carefully considered the offer, weighing the possible consequences. "I don't know," she said warily. "Are you sure it wouldn't be any bother?"

"No bother at all," he answered, surprised the answer came out sounding more eager than intended. "Come on, let me show you around."

Tim led her from room to room, happily listening to her go on about how much she loved the house. She couldn't get over the inground pool in the addition. He showed her how to turn on the lights and made sure the shades were drawn in case she wanted to take a dip before bed or in the morning. She was obviously impressed, which made him feel a deep sense of pride at what he'd been able to accomplish since she last saw him.

"Here's something you can wear for bed," he said, handing her a pair of shorts, an oversized t-shirt and a robe. "Oh yeah, my cupboards are a little bare. If you get up first and feel hungry, just wake me and I'll take you out. Sorry," he said, feeling a little embarrassed.

"That's perfect," Donna said, gratefully accepting his modest offer. "I can't thank you enough for all...of this," she finished, gesturing around her. "Whatever we do in the morning is fine with me."

As she disappeared up the stairs, Tim felt torn. A part of him actually enjoyed seeing her again, especially with him able to show off his success. It was impossible for his thoughts not to turn to the dark places, however. Even though there were still plenty of questions about her and what she might divulge about their past, for now he was determined to remain upbeat. He decided to worry about the rest later.

~~~~~

Tim was lying on his back, looking up at the most beautiful face he had ever seen. Donna was straddling him, moving her hips back and forth, impaling herself on his erection. He let her do all the work, content to reach up with his hands to massage her breasts. The feeling of being so close to her was threatening to suffocate him; it was like drowning in love. He could feel an orgasm approaching and pulled her down against his chest as he came so hard it felt like the life was draining out of him.

"Donna..." he moaned, sitting up suddenly. He looked around the room in confusion for a moment, then realized he was having the dream again. It was one that he refused to tell anyone about; mostly because no one would be able to understand. It would just lead to a lecture about him 'getting on with his life' or something similar. Pete was the biggest offender; he had a dislike for Donna that was completely out of line with his normal, good-humored approach to life.

Tim couldn't blame him. Pete was the one who woke up in the middle of the night to drive him to the hospital. He basically held Tim's hand all night as he dealt with insane thoughts of getting a gun to go after Jake or even doing something to himself.

The situation with Jake had scarred Tim more than he thought possible. Part of it was the loss of Donna in such a horrible, immediate way. The other part was something more primal. No matter how much success he ever achieved, Tim knew somewhere in the back of his mind that Jake was out there laughing about what he did. Until the parking lot, Tim had assumed Donna was laughing along with him. Now he wasn't so sure.

Shaking his head, Tim tried to push those thoughts from his mind. The dream left him sweaty and confused. He needed to get a drink to calm down, so stumbled out of bed and threw on a pair of sweats. As he opened the door, there was movement on the stairwell and he realized Donna was there heading down. He stepped back inside to give himself a second to cool down. That dream always left him with an erection that would cut diamonds and he didn't want to bump into her in the hallway in a condition that impossible to conceal.

After taking a minute to gain control, he slipped into the hallway and headed for the kitchen. To his surprise, there was no sign of her. He opened the fridge to grab a beer when he heard a noise from inside the pool house.

Walking over to the door, he turned the handle and opened it slightly. The lights were dim, but Tim could see Donna moving a chair closer to the edge of the pool. She had a drink in her hand and was wearing the robe he had lent her.

He watched as she untied the sash, allowing it to part with a teasing glimpse of her midriff. She then shrugged it off of her shoulders. It felt like the world was happening in slow motion as it slid down, briefly catching on her breasts, then fell away from the rest of her body. Turning, she carefully folded it and set it on the chair. Tim didn't want to invade her privacy, but couldn't force himself to turn away. It was the first time he'd ever seen a woman skinny-dipping, and it was the woman he'd been dreaming about only minutes before.

She turned giving him a perfect view of her body, which was every bit as spectacular as in college. Her breasts looked exactly as he remembered, medium-sized with large nipples. They sat on her chest exquisitely as if they'd been carefully placed their by a master sculptor. Letting his eyes roam lower, he could see her flat stomach leading to her trimmed pubic hair.

The dim lighting caused shadows to play across her skin like the photos of models in fashion magazines. She was slightly pale and a little thinner than he remembered, but it didn't detract from her beauty. She took one step forward, then dove gracefully into the pool.

Shaking the water from her face, she emerged with her eyes closed and a remarkably peaceful expression as she lay back and began an unhurried backstroke. Tim realized that look was something she hadn't demonstrated since she showed up on his doorstep. It took his breath away as his mind flashed back involuntarily to their days together before it all went so wrong.

Closing the door he leaned against the wall for support. Don't get carried away. Just a ghost, he tried to remind himself again. He trudged back up the stairs, feeling more conflicted than ever.

In the morning Tim woke feeling incredibly well rested. Glancing at the clock he was startled to see that he'd slept until after ten, which was unheard of. He threw on some clothes and went into the hall, wondering if Donna had left. Once at the stairs he smelled the unfamiliar scent of breakfast cooking. As he entered the kitchen, there was Donna in the clothes he had laid out for her, making bacon and eggs at the stove.

"Good morning! I thought I was going to have to bring you breakfast in bed for a minute," she said cheerfully. She turned and pulled fresh biscuits out of the oven, giving Tim an uncomfortably good look at her shapely legs tapering up to her ass, which was not nearly covered well enough for his comfort level.

"Wow, this is something I didn't expect to see anytime soon," he teased. "Where did you find real food in this house?"

She gave him a mock frown. "I didn't. When I woke up I realized that it was either dry cereal or I was going to have to wake you. It sounded like you were fast asleep and I didn't have the heart to disturb you so I ran to the store around the corner and grabbed a few things. I hope you don't mind," she said apologetically, hoping he would appreciate the gesture.

"Mind?" he smiled. "I told you to make yourself at home. It's been about two years since I had a real breakfast at home. This is great. Please, knock yourself out."

Donna giggled and went back to work. It was a warm, happy sound that he realized sadly had rarely been heard in his home. Tim asked if there was anything he could do, but she insisted on handling everything. She firmly told him she wanted to repay his hospitality.

Sitting at the table, they chatted amiably while she finished. Donna shyly related the details of her midnight swim and how much she enjoyed it. Tim pretended to be surprised, but the mental image of what he saw made it almost impossible to concentrate. They finished breakfast, then she went back to the motel to get a fresh change of clothes.

While she was gone, Tim dwelled on the range of emotions he had been feeling. He was trying not to allow himself to think about her the way they had been in the past. It was a lifetime ago. Doing so only made things more complicated, especially considering what they would be discussing when she got back. Still, it was almost impossible to get the image of her crying in the car out of his head, not to mention the one of her disrobing by the pool.

S-Des
S-Des
3,003 Followers