Second Chance Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
S-Des
S-Des
3,041 Followers

Tim could feel his own tears welling up in his eyes. "Pete, I'm so sorry. Why didn't you ever tell me?"

He shrugged, "I couldn't. After a couple of years of going through some bad depressions, Trisha made me see her preacher. He convinced me that the only way I could learn to live with the guilt I felt was to find someone who reminded me of Daryl; someone who needed help. He told me to treat that person the way I wish I had treated my brother. It was based on something Gandhi had once said to a man who had done something horrible.

I was doing a job fair for the company at your high school, where I saw you for the first time. I took one look and knew you definitely fit the bill."

They all laughed, breaking the somber moment. "The truth is," he said, "you were my second chance. I got to watch you grow up and succeed. In a way, I felt like it was letting a part of Daryl live on." He shrugged, "It probably sounds dumb, but it really helped me cope."

"Pete," Tim said firmly, "it doesn't sound dumb at all. I wish you had told me, but I guess I understand." He thought for a second. "Damn, no wonder you broke Jake's ribs. He's lucky you didn't do worse."

"I almost did," Pete said seriously. "He's lucky you stopped me. I looked at him and all I could see was that little punk who killed my brother." Pete shook his head, trying to gather himself. "Anyway, that's the story. Now that you're all grown up," he said with his usual grin, "I guess it's Ok for you to know the whole thing."

Not knowing what to say, Tim stood and embraced his friend, whispering, "Thank you." He stepped back, wiping his eyes.

Not wanting Pete to have to speak any more about something so obviously painful, Tim told him he better go see his little girl. He and Trisha congratulated the young couple one more time, then walked away. It looked like his tiny wife was actually supporting the enormous man as they walked away. Tim felt sorrow for what his friend had been through, but astonishment at the impact it had on his life.

Donna took Tim's hand and leaned close. "Daryl," she said thoughtfully. "That would be a nice name for a little boy." He turned and studied her closely. "Well, we said we wanted to start a family right away. Can you think of a better name?"

He smiled, warmed by her thoughtfulness as usual. "Daryl would be perfect."

~~~~~

S-Des
S-Des
3,041 Followers