Second Chances Ch. 00

Story Info
We all deserve a second chance.
2.4k words
4.18
11.9k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lili82
lili82
4 Followers

It started off as a regular Sunday night dinner at his parents' house. It was a tradition Angela Banks instituted when her oldest child moved out of the house seven years before. Now all her babies had moved out and they all came back every Sunday, just for her.

"Hey, Mama", her oldest child, Katrina Lynn, or Lynn, greeted her; bussing her cheek and walking in the kitchen. "I went past the restaurant today. When did Nia start back working there?" she asked. Tania; or Nia, was her second born girl; born a full 25 minutes before her twin brother, Jayden. She was a very smart girl, but had gotten into trouble her sophomore year of college. A computer whiz, she made and released a computer virus into a major bank's files for the man that she was involved with at the time. She said she had no idea what was on the flash card; but the FBI wasn't buying it. She was placed on 18 months house arrest and can't touch a computer for the next 3 years. Since the registers at her café Rosebuds were computerized; Nia technically wasn't supposed to be working as a hostess, but she was a little short staffed.

"She isn't really", Angie replied. "But we were short staffed and I needed her to be at the door."

"She was working the register when I stopped to get the cheese for you," Lynn answered, placing the afore mentioned cheese in the refrigerator.

"No, Addie should have been on the register. We talked about that before I left after I made the bread dough. Where was Addie?"

"I think she was in the kitchen. Nia said that she was doing that a lot today." Angie turned away from the stove.

"What does she mean by that?" she asked. "That's not like her. Addie knows that Nia can't touch the computers." Angie reached for the phone to call the restaurant, but stopped when her husband, Chris and Nia walked in. "Tania, you know you weren't supposed to touch the comps!"

"Mama, please don't start", Nia sighed. "I had a really long day. Someone needs to tell Jay to feed his girl. She stayed in the kitchen." Nia flopped down in a chair. She didn't quite look her mom in the face. How could she when she was lying to her? She couldn't tell her mom that she basically forced Addie into letting her be on the register. Addie was such a sweet girl, and she loved them so much, she never said no to them.

"And this is where I come in", Chris said, kissing his wife. "I go in to look at the sink, which is also the reason Addie was in the kitchen, and Miss Nia is working the cash and the front."

"Well, Daddy, the food wasn't gonna ring itself up and the sink wasn't the reason Addie was in the kitchen, Mama's new sous chef is the reason!" Nia said, sucking her teeth. Lynn looked at her sister and started laughing.

"Addie is not about to cheat on Jayden! You know it, I know it, and Mama and Daddy know it! Adriana thinks the sun sets and rises in Jay! Ha!" Lynn chuckled and started peeling potatoes. It was the best of her culinary talents and soon Angie kicked her out of the kitchen. Nia stood and went to the cookie jar to get one of Angie's prized peaches and cream oatmeal cookies.

"But seriously, Ma, you need to tell Jay about Addie. I really think she's doing something with that Tyler guy. You know he only listens to you," she said, biting into the cookie.

"Nia, it's not my place to tell him something that I really don't believe. She's not that type of girl," Angie replied, cutting the peeled potatoes into cubes.

"I think she's stealing out of the registers, too. She was also in your office." Angie turned to face Nia at that remark.

"How? I have the only key with me. She couldn't have."

"Mom, you know that girl grew up rough. I bet she picked the lock or got the keys off of you and got a copy made. I wouldn't put that past her."

"Well, I'll ask her about it later. Now, you need to either help me cook, or get the hell out my kitchen. You know I hate when you talk and don't do a thing." Later on, Angie began to set the table when her oldest son and Nia's twin, Jayden walked in the door with his girlfriend, Adriana Santiago, in tow. Angie grinned, seeing him. He was the only one of her and Chris's children that took after her. He inherited her smooth caramel completed skin and her gold colored eyes. He was 6'4 like Chris, and an inch taller than her baby boy Bryce.

"Hi, Mom," he said, pulling her into a bear hug.

"Hi, son," she answered. "How have you been? You haven't called me." She lightly pushed him away.

"I have been busy at the paper. Everyone wants me as their photographer, and I've had a lot of pics to develop," he answered.

"Yes, he has," Addie replied in her soft, slightly accented husky voice. Angie smiled at her, remembering when the 19 year old girl would jump if you said hi to her. Now look at her, she thought. Just jumping into the conversation.

"Addie says that she has something to tell us, but she wants to tell us after dinner. It's a surprise, she says," Jay smirked. "Make her tell me what it is, Ma!" Both Addie and Angie laughed at him.

"If she says it's a surprise; I won't make her spoil it. Now go in the living room with your dad and Bryce. I have to ask Addie something. Its kinda girl talk," Angie said, knowing that her son would get squeamish with the girl talk bit. He kissed them both on the cheek and went to the living room to be manly.

"What do you need to ask me?" Addie asked. She walked over to the fridge to get out the sweet tea that Angie always had in there. "Have I done something wrong?" she asked with a touch of fear in her voice. As hard as she tried, she couldn't stop thinking that harm would come to her.

"No, sweetheart, it's just that Nia told me that you were in my office and that you were in the kitchen a lot, and that was why she was on the registers today. You know that her probation officer considers them a computer and that she can't be seen on or around them."

"Yes, I do," Addie started, but was cut off by Nia, Jayden and Chris coming into the kitchen.

"Where's the money?" Nia asked Addie.

"W-what money?" Addie stammered. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Gabby came to drop off the bank slips and there is a $3000 discrepancy. The slips are signed by you," Chris said.

"I never signed any bank slips!" Addie exclaimed. "Why would I do that? I'm just a waitress and sometimes cook!" She turned to Angie. "You know this!" she said.

"I know, but Nia said she saw you in the office today," Angie replied.

"But I wasn't! All I did was close the door and lock it back. It was wide open when I got there." She turned to Nia. "Tell them; you were there, I asked you why it was open."

"No, you didn't. All you did was tell me that you needed me to work the register. You spent the majority of you day in the kitchen with Tyler!" Nia replied. God forgive me, she thought.

"Who is Tyler?" Jayden asked, looking at Addie.

"The new sous chef your mother hired," Addie said, looking at him. She turned back to Nia. "I was in the kitchen with him teaching him what your mother asked me to do 3 days ago, but I had class. This is why she asked you to work the front, but you begged me to work cashier today!"

"Why are you lying? Why would I jeopardize my freedom like that? "

"Isn't that what I asked you? So I have I gone crazy now? Is that what you're trying to say to me, Tania? I know I've been off lately; but not that damn off! I haven't stolen anything since I got this job and I damn sure wouldn't steal from the only person that helped me when I needed help!"

"Then why did I see you put some money in your purse?" Addie flushed red and looked at Jayden.

"Baby, I swear, I don't know what she's talking about. Why would I steal from your mom? This is bullshit!" She flushed red again. "Sorry about that, Mama Ange. I didn't mean to say that."

"Adriana, you promised me that if I gave you this job, you'd stop stealing. Tell me the truth; if I go look in your purse, will I find that money?" Angie asked her.

"No, ma'am, you won't. I didn't take any money. I swear! I wouldn't do that to you." She turned and looked at Jayden, who had moved to get Addie's purse. "Babe?" Jayden met her eyes.

"I don't know if I believe you," he said, answering her unspoken question. She frowned at him.

"Are you serious?!" she exclaimed. "You're joking, right?" Jayden shrugged.

"Yeah, I am serious and no, I'm not joking. You've been acting really strange; like you're hiding something." He unzipped the purse and looked in. He looked up at Addie. "So you were going to just lie all the way to the end, huh?" He pulled out the money bag that his mother kept in the safe at the restaurant. Addie's jaw dropped and she went pale.

"I don't know how that got there! I just know that I didn't put it there!" Addie exclaimed, crying. She looked at Angie, who had also started to cry. "Mama Ange, I wouldn't do that to you! Please believe me!" she sobbed.

"Then why is it in your purse?" Nia asked.

"I don't know!" she said, miserably. She ran her hands through her black hair and then started to twist the silver ring on her right ring finger; a sure sign that she was nervous. Jayden grabbed her by the arm and took her outside.

"Tell me the truth, did you steal the money? "He asked.

"No!" she screamed. "Why would I do that? I have a job; hell, I have 2! I don't need the money, you know this! What I can't get for myself; you show up with it!" she yelled, wiping her face off.

"Then why is the bag in your purse? Why did you have Nia on the front? And who the fuck is Tyler and why was he hugging you like he owns you?" Addie huffed at him and rolled her eyes. "I don't know; she asked; and he's the sous chef, and he didn't hug me like that! I swear, I'm feeling like I stepped into the Twilight Zone! This day wasn't supposed to be like this!" she started pacing back and forth, muttering to herself.

"I don't believe you. That is not the first time I've seen you him hug like that and I don't think this is the first time you've stolen from my mother. Last week, she was short $1500. Once again, you signed. What the fuck is going on, Adriana?"

"I honestly don't know, Baby! I don't know! All I know is that I didn't take anything! And I don't like how you're insinuating that I have something going on with Tyler. I don't even know him all like that." He scoffed at her.

"Whatever. I saw you kiss him, Addie!" Her mouth dropped open. "Yeah, busted again! Not only are you stealing from my mom, you're being a whore with her employees." Tears came to Addie's eyes.

"You fucker! I am not being a whore! The only person I've been with is you and you know it!" she cried. "He kissed me, and I slapped the shit out of him afterwards! If you saw the kiss, you saw that! But you didn't see it; did you? I think your sister told you, because she did see it, but I bet she didn't tell you what happened after the kiss! I don't know what the fuck her issue is, but she may be on something!" she screamed at him.

"Don't talk about my sister that way! She isn't on anything and why would she lie to me? And then there's you; who has been lying to me. Who should I believe, Adriana, who?" Jayden asked her, throwing up his hands. She turned her head to the side to hide the tears that were falling.

"You know what, Jay? Believe who you want, I'm done. "She started to walk away. "Got me cryin' and shit!" she muttered, walking. "I hate crying! I hate showing weakness, and you got me out here, fucking crying and shit!" she screamed. "Why would I steal? Why would I cheat on you? Why won't you think for one moment?" Jayden sighed and ran up to grab her elbow.

"Addie, wait," he started. She turned around and swung at him, hitting him hard in the mouth.

"Let go of me! Don't touch me! You don't believe me, so you no longer get to touch me! Let me leave!" she exclaimed, yanking her arm away. She then turned and ran down the street.

"She didn't take that money, Jayden," Lynn said, coming up from behind and startleling him. She handed him a napkin that was in her pocket. "She got you good, but hell; the girl always could fight. You're gonna need some ice for that"

"How do you know, Lynn? Old habits die hard, and we all know she's a damn good thief," he said, dabbing his lip. Fuck, his girl could hit.

"She's not going to steal from the only family she's had," Lynn said; dabbing his lip with another tissue. "She loves us way too much to hurt us. Give her time to cool off, let's get you some ice and some food, and we'll figure this out. We'll get to the bottom of this," she said, leading her brother into the house. "You'll see."

lili82
lili82
4 Followers