Secret Canyon

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
yukonnights
yukonnights
506 Followers

"Well, that's damn smart young man," one of the Texans told him. "I figure you'll make more money than a lot of them breaking their backs digging!"

"I sure hope so, cause it's the only thing I really know how to do...I wouldn't know where to start looking for gold," Josie said with a laugh.

"So where are all of you'uns headed," the man asked.

Travis replied, "Well, to be honest we're not sure. Do you know where the gold is being found?"

"The latest we heard, it's really pop'n up around the South Platte river. Mostly back into the foothills a ways. We're all head'n up to a place called Gregory's Gulch. It's north along the trail here till you get to Clear Creek, and then follow that up into the foothills. I've been told it ain't hard to find 'cause of all the pilgrims heading up there to try their luck," the Texan said seeming happy he could help another man trying to make a go of it up here.

"Mr, my name's Travis Wheeler, and these are my two sons Josiah here, and James over yonder set'n up camp. If your offer to join up with you still stands, I think it'd be real nice to have some company for a change."

"You'd be welcome to join us Travis. I'm Edward Marsh, and these others are all kin. We came up from north of San Antonio just to give it a shot. We don't know much about mining either, but figured most everyone up here started somewhere. Glad to make your acquaintance, " the Texan said reaching his hand out to shake in the universal greeting.

"Likewise Mr Marsh," Travis said as he gripped the man's hand tight.

The next morning Josiah's outfit was already ready to go as the Texans were still getting the last of their camp stowed in the two wagons they had brought. The three sat and sipped the last of the coffee waiting for them.

"Well, the Good Lord's been with us the whole way," Travis said and blew across his coffee cup to. "I have a good feeling about these boys, how bout you?"

"I haven't noticed a thing that would make me suspicious," Josiah said.

"James, you see anything fishy," Travis asked.

"No sir, I was watching them pretty close all evening just to see if I saw any funny looks and such. I think they're okay...but let's just keep an eye on them just to be sure," he added.

"Well, looks like their about ready, lets go get the horses strung out," Josiah said getting up from the fire and tossing the grounds from his cup.

*****

As the warm south breeze began to blow, uncertainties lifted up and were carried away...

The trail north in the flatter lands just east of the foothills was rough and rutted from the heavily loaded wagons that were all headed to the gold fields. But even these so called flats weren't flat at all. All of that snow runoff had to go somewhere, and downhill was the only place it could go. Over the eons, marshes had formed in some places with bogs that would swallow a horse. The land was crisscrossed with ravines and rivulets. Making all of it even harder was the fact that it was only early spring in this country and the ground was still soft from the thaw of melted snow. But this rugged place also had a beauty like none of them had ever seen. The marshes were covered with thousands of waterfowl of all description, there were deer in abundance and other creatures going about their lives unaware of the coming changes. Had they not been burdened down by time and the stock, it would have been hard to resist spending more time here.

After two days with the party of Texans, it became clear that they could make better time alone. It hadn't been an intentional decision when they were back in Arkansas planning the trip, but by using the horses to carry their belongings, Josiah's party had made much better time than if they had used a wagon. Thus, that evening Travis told Mr. Wheeler and the Texans that since the trail was easily followed they would push on ahead tomorrow with the stock.

"I understand Travis," Edward replied, "and me and the others have been thinking we made a mistake bringing wagons up here after seeing how much easier it would be without them. But you go on, I think there's already a settlement of sorts built up at the Clear Creek crossing. I imagine you could even pick up some supplies there if need be."

So early the next morning, an hour before sunrise, James woke up the other two as he built up the coals of last nights fire. Back to their old routine, they were well on their way before the Texans had even started.

They all felt a renewed sense of freedom being unencumbered by the others. It lifted their spirits and the new sights all around them took on a renewed sense of awe at the sheer magnitude of the county. At one point, the trail veered eastward a good ways and it was then that they got their first look at the famous Pike's Peak!

They stopped where they were and just sat their saddles and took in the sight before them, while all the horses took the opportunity to sample the new spring grass. "Well boys, there it is," Travis finally said...and then went silent again.

Each man sat there with his own thoughts. The sky was without a cloud, the air crystal clear and fresh from the wilderness beyond the mountains. Many have experienced what they did in that moment...an awakening to something bigger...an instant awareness of man's smallness...and a gratitude for being alive.

Josiah took his hat off and bowed his head in prayer. Travis and James saw and did the same.

"Lord," Josiah began, "I just want to thank you for keeping us all safe and get'n us here. Please be with us all and help us see the right path to follow."

"Amen," Travis said softly.

After that day the mountains were always there beckoning...calling them to come closer...come deeper and learn my secrets. But they were not boys on an adventure, they were men who knew the serious undertaking that still lay ahead. So putting in long full days they arrived at the Clear Creek crossing the fourth day after leaving the Texans and the wagons. But they all agreed that it had been fortuitous and helpful to have run across them. And Edward Wheeler had been right about the opportunity to refresh their supplies, which were getting pretty low.

*****

And the winds shifted, turning westward into the unknown once again...

Once again, those who had come before left no doubt as to the direction to go. The trail was new and still rough, but more than adequate for their outfit. As they climbed higher and higher with most every step, Josiah had a surge of renewed faith in his planned stock ranch. Indeed horses and mules would be an easy thing to trade here.

Glancing at James, who rode on his right he said, "I think this may just work out!"

James tried to smile and nod in a positive way, but the sadness of lost love couldn't be hid. Travis was just behind them, making Josiah feel totally impotent to say or do anything to comfort the man he loved more than anything in the entire world. In an instant, reality washed away the euphoria of dreams! Josiah felt a despair wash over him that left his mind a blank place...a bottomless void where he could find no footing...in a matter of weeks, he would be alone for the first time in his life!

Old Travis could see...could almost feel the tension in the air as his two boys exchanged glances. He wasn't ignorant of the ways of young men, and he had known for some time the bond these two shared was special and deeper than most. But, like they themselves, he couldn't see any work around that would make it possible. He saw their troubled emotions, but he also wanted to spare them the real trouble that could come because of their love. If it weren't for Mary, he'd tell James to stay...but if something happened to him, she'd be left all alone. All he could do was try to do the right thing for all those he loved. So, stepping once again into the role of father and protector, he asked loudly, "When you figure we'll see some mines Josie?"

The voice rang in the silence of the forest that surrounded them and had the effect Travis had hoped. The spell of darkness and despair was broken and would lift again, given a bit of time.

"I'm not at all sure Travis," Josiah replied and then added, "But I vote for making camp here pretty soon. We're close, but I think we're all plumb wore out...and even the horses seem to be dragging their hoofs."

"It's the air up here," James chimed in. "I was talking to a gent back in Clear Creek and he was saying it takes some time to get used to it. There's less air up high, or so he says."

"Well dayum," Travis exclaimed, "I wish you'd a said something sooner...I thought I was getting heart troubles or something!"

They all laughed and Josiah threw in his two cents, "And I figured my mind was going...burned up by too much sun or something...nearly fell out of my saddle a ways back!"

Another round of laughter and old Travis smiled to himself as his two boys shook off the despondency of lost love and turned once again toward the hopes of youth.

So turning up into a small side canyon, the happy party found a place to camp that seemed perfect. Josiah reckoned they were about halfway up the trail to Gregory's Gulch, and since they couldn't make it all the way today, figured they might as well make an early day of it. This might be their last camp on this journey and this secret place was the perfect setting for it. The small spring fed rivulet offered crystal clear water from the very heart of the earth. The trees, Aspens they had been told, seemed like new friends come to welcome them here, with their white trunks shining and the soft lime colored leaves of spring quaking in the slight breeze breathing down from the heights. But it was the very air all around that seemed to be sparkling with life itself! They all felt it, and sat in mute awe as a sense of perfection and peace washed away every other thought or care.

*****

And with every end comes a new beginning...

As the trio crested the last rise on the trail, they were afforded a sweeping view of the mining camp of Gregory's Gulch. The first impression was one of looking down at an ant hill that some mischievous boy had poked with a stick. On second look, they were all surprised by the sprawling size of the place, and the haphazard way in which it had spread. It looked an odd sight in the midst of this wilderness, that's for sure!

"Well, might as well go take a look," Josiah said as he prompted Jasper to continue forward. As they descended the grade, Josiah told himself that this was just the first place they had looked into...if it didn't pan out they could always try some other towns and camps. His biggest concern right off was the elevation though. Being ignorant about the weather here, he wanted to make sure this was even suitable for the type of operation he was planning. His trained eye took in the vegetation and tried to gauge whether or not it looked hearty enough to graze his animals on. There seemed to be abundant grass in the little valleys...or parks, as he later learned the locals called these high country meadows. But, it was just opening up into spring this high up, he reminded himself.

They found a spot to setup camp in a little meadow a good distance outside of the area that comprised the beginnings of the main concentration of tents, shacks and wagons of every imaginable description. Since there were so many other men in the area, it was only common sense to leave at least one person in camp to keep an eye on things. And once they had done what was needed for themselves and the animals, Josiah and Travis rode on into the melee of Gregory' Gulch. Deeper into the bowels of the place they began to notice more substantial buildings took the place of tents and shacks, which was encouraging. Eventually, they were in what appeared to be the town's center.

The first place they wanted to find was the livery so they could talk to someone who might have answers to their greenhorn questions. They rode through the streets, that sometimes resembled trails, taking it all in and keeping an eye open for a stockyard or livery. Finally, near the far end of the settlement they found what they sought.

They dismounted and walked into the open shed where a man was working iron over an anvil. Seeing Travis and Josiah out of the corner of his eye, the man stopped and greeted them, "Howdy, how can I help you?"

Travis initiated the conversation saying, "We don't want to take you from your work, I own a livery back home so I know you're busy. But if you have a moment, we'd be much obliged if you might help us new comers with some local knowledge."

"Sure, I've been thinking about taking a break for awhile, and this is a good excuse," the man replied.

Travis stepped forward offering his hand saying, "Travis, and this is my son Josiah."

"Lucas Cage," the big man said offering his own hand of friendship.

With the introductions taken care of, the three men sat on empty crates there in the shade and got acquainted. After a little small talk about where they had started from, trail conditions and such Travis said, "We came up here with two dozen mares, a dozen two year olds, a fine stud, and a jack for breeding mules, I might add he's got a bad attitude!" The livery owner laughed his understanding, and the new friendship was established.

Travis added, "Josiah here is the expert on the breeding and training of them. Our idea is to set up a little ranch to hopefully provide some needed stock for the miners around here. But as I said, we're new to this country and could shore use some advice on the weather, the graze and just any advice we might could get on where to set up."

"Well, I'll tell right off. I'll buy everyone of those animals if you want to sell."

"Thank you for the offer, but the young ones ain't even proper trained yet and my plan was to begin small and try to build it up. But, by this time next year, I hope to be in a position where you could count on a reliable source for 'em. The mares are all bred and should foal come spring," Josiah replied. But just the offer renewed his hope that this was a workable idea. In fact, it may even be worth the trip back south to bring in some animals that were ready to work. He'd ponder that thought and wanted to mention it later to Travis and James.

The owner laughed and said, "Well, I had to give it a try! But sure, I'd be happy to give you the lay of the land. This place is building up fast, and I'll tell you there's some big hopes and big plans around here. What would you like to know?"

It was Josiah who now did the talking and said, "Well, as Travis said, we're from Arkansas and we don't know a damn thing about the weather up here. Is it best to go back down on the flats or are some of these valleys we keep seeing suitable for raising feed and stock? That's the biggest questions we have right now. We need to get a place and get it set up before winter...and to be honest, I'm starting to feel pretty pressed that we'll have enough time."

"Those are some of the smartest questions I've been asked in a good while...and I get asked all sorts of questions by a lot of pilgrims coming in here to strike it rich. Truth is, most of 'em head home with their tails tucked, but I think you boys got a good chance," the owner told them.

"We're much obliged for your help," Josiah said sincerely.

The big man nodded his appreciation, swallowed another big ladle of water from the nearby bucket and said, "So, if it was me, I would go back down a ways. I've seen snow up here higher than a tall man's head. Had you boys been here a few weeks earlier, you could walk right over there and grab a handful of wet earth...so, the winters are longer and colder up here for sure. And they only get worse farther west into the mountains. But you find you a place in the foothills, you get a shorter winter than up higher like this...and less wind as what blows out farther east on the prairies. And to my mind, the grass lasts longer in the foothills than farther east where it can get down right scorching hot in summer. One thing I'd look for is a park with a good south facing opening so the sun can get in. I've seen some places that look fine in summer, but even a distant mountain can shade it late into spring. Them kind of places can still be covered in snow late in the spring when every other place is already green. So there it is. Any more questions?"

"Well I'll suwannee, I'd of never thought of all that!" Josiah stood, and offering his hand said, "Mr Cage, you're a godsend, and I thank you for spending your time to help us."

Lucas Cage laughed and said, "I can't ever remember being considered a godsend young man, but I'm real glad you boys stopped by. And when you get setup, don't forget me and there'll probably be a standing offer to buy every animal you can sell if this place turns into what folks is thinking it will."

"That offer is just cream on the top, Mr Cage. And I'll take it to heart and come calling when I can offer you something more than talk," Josiah told him.

On the way back to their camp, and after the two shared their excitement over finding out such important information...Josiah's thoughts drifted to how things had fallen in their favor the whole journey. He wasn't a particularly religious man, but as many who spend much of their time alone and in the sacred beauty of nature, he was a spiritual man. Thus, in his own silent way, he gave thanks again for their safe pilgrimage to this unknown land and all the people along the way who had been there to point them in the right direct.

Back at camp, James had things all sorted out and supper cooking over the fire. With renewed excitement Travis and Josie told of all they had learned. They all speculated on the idea of bringing in horses and mules from back home. They couldn't get to a conclusion, but it was an idea they would all ponder. Indeed it was exciting out here...it seemed raw and new and with opportunity in every direction. So with full stomachs they turned in with plans to head back down the next day. Travis would take the first watch, James the second and Josiah the last watch before daybreak...it was good to have a routine.

*****

And with the calming winds, the sunshine of hope lit the way to new life...

They obviously took all of Lucas Cage's sage advice to heart. As the trio retraced the trail back down toward Clear Creek crossing, they came to that same little canyon that had such an air of mystery and peace. Even though it was still several hours before they would normally stop, they all agreed it would be nice to stay here another night. Both man and beast could all use a little down time, and this was a wonderful place to just rest and let the horses graze. Yes, it was time to just relax a bit before continuing their search.

Once camp was set-up and the animals safe and cared for, Josiah said as much to himself as anyone in particular, "I wonder what's further down this canyon?"

Travis joined in saying, "I'll keep an eye on supper...why don't you boys ride out and take a look see?"

That seemed like a brilliant suggestion, and both young men jumped to their feet, gathered their tack and horses and in twenty minute were gone exploring! As they rode happily into the unknown, Travis smiled knowingly to himself. The boys, nor any other soul, would ever know that Travis had wanted them to have a chance to say their good-byes alone. He wasn't blind to their love, he just didn't think it could work out. Most young'uns explored such stuff, but most had let it go by their age. "Oh well, who can figure folks, all I know is they're good men," he said to the silent canyon.

As Josiah and James rode deeper into the canyon it began to open up after no more than a couple of miles in. The farther they went, the broader the valley spread until finally they broke out of the trees enough to be greeted by sunshine and a lush display of green grass waving in the gentle evening breeze.

yukonnights
yukonnights
506 Followers
123456...8