Secret Smiles and Three Little Words Pt. 25

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CJT
CJT
668 Followers

"Alex?" the lady asked looking at her carefully. "Alex Lasko?"

"Stephanie?" Alex smiled as the name clicked.

"How are you? I thought you moved to Pittsburg or something!" Stephanie said giving Alex a hug before turning her eyes to Gavin who nodded a hello to her.

"Chicago actually," Alex told her. "I'm home for the holidays!"

"Awesome!" Stephanie smiled.

"Steph, this is Dr. Gavin Steward," Alex said introducing them. "My boyfriend."

"Doctor?" Stephanie smiled with a surprised uptick of her eyebrow.

"Yes," he nodded with a soft smile.

It was getting harder to not laugh, as so far, every person she introduced him to, had the same response, one of disbelief. He didn't know if he looked like he couldn't be a doctor or that they didn't believe Alex had a doctor. Either way it was starting to wear on him, and his patience, as it could be construed as an insult.

"So what are you doing in Chicago?" Stephanie asked tearing her eyes of Gavin, which Alex noted took some effort.

"Well I'm an artist," Alex shrugged. "I have been teaching too."

"An artist?" Stephanie asked with a scoff.

"She is quite good," Gavin defended picking up the derision. "She did a mural at the Chicago Expo that drew rave reviews, was seen by just over a million people."

"No shit?" Stephanie gasped in disbelief.

Alex nodded that what he said was the truth. Happy that her gallant knight had come to her defense.

"Small town girl makes good, huh?" Stephanie admired. Alex shrugged.

"Stephanie," came a voice from behind Alex who turned to see who it was. "Oh my God! Alex!"

"Megan," Alex forced a smile. "How are you?"

"I'm good! How are you? I thought you moved to Philly or something?" Megan asked.

"Chicago," Alex said with a shake of her head. She could see there were multiple stories floating around about her. She was sure there were multiple stories of failures as well as Stephanie had seemed shocked that there was some success.

"Yeah?" Megan nodded.

"She is an accomplished artist there! Has done stuff for the city that a million people has seen!" Stephanie chimed in, relishing in the surprised look Megan gave.

"I have done some stuff for the Chicago Expo, it's a fair the city puts on, kind of like the World's fair, I guess," Alex explained. "I have sold some stuff in a gallery there as well."

"Wow! That's great!" Megan smiled, her voice betraying her actual feelings. It couldn't be more false if she just came out and said she thought Alex was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

"Megan," Alex said dismissing her tone. "This is my boyfriend, Gavin Steward." The two shook hands.

"Doctor...Steward," Stephanie chimed in.

"Doctor?" Megan gasped, now she was stunned.

She never would have thought that Alex Lasko would have made a name for herself, let alone land a doctor. The dorky high school girl who was always covered in paint, or dark charcoal dust. Her fingers blackened by her art. Smudges on her face as she was always more interested in her drawings than her appearance.

"Wow," Gavin grinned. "I'm going to have to move here, you guys are making it sound like being a doctor is a big deal!"

This got the three girls to laugh. Alex looked to Stephanie who gave her a wink that they both enjoyed that Megan was sufficiently jealous. The former prom queen was jealous of Alex.

"Well," Megan smiled. "It was nice to meet you Dr. Steward, and Alex congrats on the success! I'm home to Derrick! You remember him? Derrick Stuppolo? We got married shortly after high school!"

"Wow!" Alex smiled trying to hide her amusement at the obvious ploy Megan was now employing. Rubbing it in that the boy everybody in their class wanted was now her husband. Alex had a thing for him, but that was then, when she didn't know any better. "High school cheer captain marries High School quarterback! That's like every girl's dream!"

"That or a doctor!" Stephanie countered, continuing to turn the screws on Megan.

Megan waved goodbye without responding and walked away quickly.

"What total bullshit!" Stephanie gasped moving closer to Alex. "I know for a fact her beloved husband is still sitting in jail from his drunk and disorderly from last night!"

"What?" Alex laughed covering her mouth.

"Yep," Stephanie nodded. "Seems Derrick is still living in the past, telling whoever will listen about his guidance of the team to the state semi-finals! Got into an argument with a guy at the bar, fight ensued."

"Well," Gavin nodded with a bemused smile. "It's tough for elite athletes like ourselves to let go of our glory years!"

"When were you ever an elite athlete?" Alex laughed thinking he was joking.

"Baby, I had a full ride scholarship to Northwestern in hockey!" Gavin said semi-proudly. "Led the league!"

"In scoring?" Alex asked stunned that he hadn't brought it up sooner.

"No," he laughed. "Penalty minutes! Seems I had a bit of a temper back then!" This got the girls to laughing before Stephanie said her goodbyes.

***

Alex sat in the car, staring at her old house. Gavin waited patiently. He had started to get out when they first arrived but Alex hadn't budged. He closed the door and looked to her. He could see the clouds of disappointment and indecision on her face. He did nothing, he said nothing for the longest time, just waiting for her to come to grips with what was forthcoming.

"We can't just sit here," Gavin pointed out softly. "Sooner or later we have to get out."

"Can we just drive back to Chicago?" Alex asked him. "I mean we were here and all, just because we didn't go in doesn't mean anything, does it?"

She looked to him with a forced smile. She knew better, but she wanted to turn back the hands of time and go back to where she suggested this visit and keep her damn mouth shut!

"I'm going in," Gavin finally said.

"Have fun," Alex huffed. He looked to her with a shake of his head.

"I will carry you in, kicking and screaming if I have to!" Gavin threatened.

He hopped out and walked around to her side of the car with her watching with her own mischievous grin coming out. When he got to her door she locked it. This caused him to double over in laughter. She looked to him innocently, batting her eyelashes.

He held up the key chain and pushed the button unlocking the door. He opened it and she let out a deep sigh as she undid her seatbelt. Helping her from the car she scowled at him.

"Just remember, this is your family!" he pointed out.

"Don't remind me!" she said as he took her face in his hands.

"What are you so worried about?" he asked her. "Your mother and I have already drawn blood, so it's not like it could get any worse!"

"You obviously don't know my family!" Alex told him with a disbelieving laugh.

"Then why did you want to come?" Gavin asked her.

"My Dad," Alex shrugged. "Can we just see him and leave the others out of it?"

"Sorry," he said. "Kind of a package deal, like me and you." She tilted her head at him and smiled.

"Again," she shrugged. "Absolutely perfect!"

Knocking on the door, he gave her a wink of encouragement. She twisted a smile and nodded her appreciation.

"Why on earth are you knocking on the door to your home?" her father asked as soon as he opened the door.

"Dad," she shook her head at the instant teasing he was giving her. "I haven't lived here in years!"

"Still your home!" he said firmly. "As long as I breathe anyway!" She nodded as she hugged him, inhaling his Old Spice making her feel like she was at home, back in her childhood.

"Gavin!" Al smiled at him. "Thank you so much for bringing her home for the holidays!"

"The pleasure was all mine," Gavin said shaking his hand.

They were ushered in and Marylyn came around the corner to greet them.

"Marylyn," Gavin said offering his hand which she accepted with a polite smile.

"Mom," Alex said with a slight hug. The tone was impossible to miss.

"Well, Gavin," Marylyn smiled. "Thank you for coming to visit us during this special time of year!"

"Thanks for letting me," Gavin nodded.

"I really wasn't aware you both were coming in until this morning," Marylyn said looking to her husband with a quick angry look.

"You didn't tell her?" Alex asked him. He shrugged.

"I wanted it to be a surprise," Al laughed. "It will be the first time in years that the whole family was together!"

"Livy!" Alex called out when she saw her.

"Alex!" the woman smiled coming down the stairs and embracing her.

"You look fantastic!" Alex beamed.

"As do you!" Livy gasped looking her over. "Look at that dress!" She marveled as she held Alex's hands out to see the full dress. "Never pictured you as a dress girl! Overalls yes! Sweatpants absolutely! But a dress?"

"Already starting with me are you?" Alex laughed. She stared at her for a few moments before Livy looked around her to Gavin.

"Oh! Sorry!" Alex smiled turning to put her arm around Livy. "Olivia," she said formally. "This is my boyfriend, Gavin."

The two shook hands with pleasant smiles.

"Gavin, this is sister number three, Livy!" Alex said hugging the woman with one arm.

"Nice to meet you," Gavin said politely.

"I've heard a lot about you," Livy smiled. "Dr. Steward."

"Gavin," he said quickly.

"Of course!" Livy smiled as she looked to her sister and embraced her again. This time more tightly, more lovingly.

"You ok?" Alex asked her softly from within the embrace.

"Yes and no," Livy said not letting go of her baby sister. "A lot to talk about...but not now!"

The two separated and stared at one another. Alex searched her sister's face for whatever news she had but could get no inclination as to what she had to say.

"Well," Marylyn smiled. "If I would have known you guys were coming I would have moved Nora out of your old room so you could have that and Gavin could stay in the guest room."

"No," Alex said shaking her head with a frown. Leave it to her mother to divulge Livy's news in the most embarrassing form possible. In front of a man Livy had known all of thirty seconds.

Now she knew what needed to be talked about. If Livy and her daughter Nora were living here, that meant that the marriage to Don was crumbling.

"Gavin and I are staying at the hotel," Alex told them. She gave her sister a comforting squeeze that Livy understood.

"Nora can stay where she is!" Alex sighed as she smiled happily at her sister. She hadn't realized how much she missed her until she got here. "She's got the best room in the house!"

"Staying in the same room, I suppose?" Marylyn said with disproval dripping from her lips.

"Of course," Alex said with a wink at Livy. "Wouldn't want to disappoint you by not giving you something to gripe at me about!"

Alex hugged her sister again and Livy smiled that once again, just like their childhood, Alex drew their mother's ire towards her and away from the other sisters. Something Livy took for granted, but now knew the sacrifice Alex made.

***

Gavin and Al walked around the supermarket together. Picking up last minute items that Marylyn needed. It was more of an excuse to get rid of the men so the women could chat. Both men knew the ploy so they shrugged to one another and left.

Getting into Alex's Mercedes, Gavin let Al drive.

"It's your town, you know where you are going!" Gavin insisted when Al balked at the idea of driving the car.

"So how much trouble are you in for not telling your wife we were coming?" Gavin asked as they walked around the store.

"Nothing I'm not used to!" Al chuckled. "I'm sure Livy will be happy that Alex is here, Alex was always able to draw Marylyn's temper to her instead of the other girls! Marylyn has been on Livy something fierce!"

"Anything I can help with?" Gavin offered.

"Not unless you are a divorce lawyer!" Al frowned. He looked to Gavin with an embarrassed shrug.

"Not uncommon in today's world," Gavin told him comfortingly. "Unfortunate, but not uncommon. I know several good ones if you need one...lawyers that is."

"No," Al shook his head. "She isn't sure what she wants to do yet, I think she should drop the bum, Marylyn is dead set against it!"

"Well, she is religious," Gavin defended. "They don't believe in divorce."

"Livy has put up with his chasing skirts long enough!" Al growled. "Let the bum go and get his rocks off without breaking my girl's heart!"

Gavin nodded that he agreed, but he didn't want to stir up Al any more than he already was.

***

Alex looked at Livy with sorry eyes. Her sister was sitting in the porch swing as she came out with her cup of coffee.

"So," Alex started.

"So," Livy repeated. "Long story or short?"

"Livy," Alex sighed. "I'm your sister, just talk to me!"

Livy nodded as she stared at the birds picking at the bird seed she had just tossed out to feed them.

"How long?" Alex asked her.

"How long have I been here? Or how long have we been having trouble?" Livy asked her.

"Both," Alex demanded.

"I found out Don was cheating, two years ago, the first time that is," Livy exhaled deeply. "We went to the church, like Mom told us to. Prayed like Mom told me to."

Alex rubbed her shoulder before putting her arm around her.

"I thought we had gotten through it," Livy said after some silence. "Found out he was still cheating about two months ago, the hard way!"

"Did you catch him in the act?" Alex gasped as she thought how horrible that would be.

"No," Livy said shaking her head as the tear came out. "She came to the house, and told us she was pregnant. She and Don had a huge fight right there in the living room, in front of Nora and me!"

"Oh my God!" Alex gasped as she thought about her niece having to bear witness to it all.

"I wanted to get up and run from the room, but I was just so stunned!" Livy explained.

"Oh baby," Alex said taking her into her arms. "I bet you were!"

"Nora is with him tonight," Livy explained. "Opening the gifts from him at the house...with her!"

"What?" Alex asked.

"When the tests came back and Don was indeed the father, that he had insisted to me that he wasn't, I moved out, he moved her in because he didn't want her to be out in the cold with a baby!" Livy said angrily.

"What about you?" Alex asked her temper flaring. It made Livy smile. She was happy she had an ally. Something in short supply in this house.

"I moved in here and haven't heard the end of it!" Livy explained.

"Mom doesn't expect you to stay with the son of a bitch!" Alex nearly yelled.

"She is only worried about what the church will say, so on Sundays we show up, put our little happy faces on and pretend!" Livy cried. "I always feel like God should strike me down for the lies! The worst part is, she goes to our church! I have to sit there and look at the bitch and be nice!"

Alex closed her eyes tightly shut and it forced the tears from her own eyes. Living the lie, so that her mother can save face. Surely God didn't want that! If so, she would change her religion!

Livy went for a walk to clear her head and Alex sat on the porch and stewed for a few minutes. When she could stand it no longer she stormed into the house and found her mother making dinner.

"How dare you!" Alex raged.

"What?" her mother asked surprised at the sudden intrusion of anger.

"Forcing her to pretend to be a family?" Alex clarified. "What kind of bullshit is that?"

"Watch your language!" Marylyn fired back.

"Watch your hypocrisy!" Alex yelled. "What kind of God would find your behavior tolerable?"

"How dare you!" her mother suddenly raged. "You are not here! You are in Chicago living in sin!"

"Let he who is free from sin, cast the first stone!" Alex said, her anger seething.

"Don't pretend to spout a verse from our Lord and call yourself a Christian!" her mother continued to rage.

"Don't pretend, for one second, God hasn't judged you already," Alex said her face draining. "I might be living in sin, but I'm in love, the Lord has filled me with it, he has given me Gavin! You kneel and put on the face of Christianity but its false, you are worse that a whore...at least Jesus forgave one of those! He will never forgive those who bear false witness!"

"How dare you speak to me that way?" Marylyn turned on her.

"Enough," Al said louder than either one of them had been. "This is Christmas! I will not have you two at each other's throat the entire time!"

Gavin went to Alex and put his hands on her shoulders and found them shaking. She turned and buried her face into him.

"Dad," Alex said softly. "I'm sorry."

"Look," Al said calmer now. "We haven't shared a Christmas together in so long, just make it my Christmas present, huh?"

She nodded to him and went and hugged him. He held her face softly.

"Livy will work out her own problems," Al told her firmly. "They are not your problems."

"That's where you are wrong," Alex shook her head. "We are sisters, her problems are my problems. She would never stand up to mother the way I would, but somebody needs to stand up for her!" She turned to her mother.

"Have you even thought of the psychological damage you are doing to either of them?" Alex asked her.

"Don and Livy are adults," Marylyn frowned. "They can handle it!"

"I don't give a fuck about Don! I'm talking about Livy and Nora!" Alex gasped. "The damage you are forcing on them for you charade is immeasurable!"

"It's not your problem, like your father said!" Marylyn reminded her. "You'll go back to Chicago and live in your fantasy land thinking God is ok with your lifestyle because you think you are in love!" Marylyn said with her claws mimicking air quotes on the word love.

"You are...an absolutely horrible person! A complete monster!" Alex gasped as the tears fell. Marylyn looked upon her stunned that her daughter would say that to her. "I used to think it was just me, but it isn't...it's just you!"

Alex fled the room in tears. Gavin looked to Al who was crying himself.

"Al," Gavin said softly. "We'll see you tomorrow, I think it might be better for a cooling off period."

"I agree," Al whispered. "But, we will see you tomorrow?"

"Absolutely," Gavin said firmly. "It's Christmas."

***

Gavin laid on the bed, the remote in his hand as he flipped through the channels. He had the volume on low as he tried to decide on what to watch. His mind thinking of the pain Alex was feeling. To come to the realization she had tonight was a long fall to recover from.

Through the time they spent with her parents earlier in the summer, Gavin had come to think the woman was just awful. The monster Alex had claimed. Marylyn seemed to rip Alex at every turn, something Alex did her best to fend off. There were many times in which he wanted to just order the woman from his home. Alex always wound up gritting her teeth and looking to her father. It seemed the only reason she was even trying was for him.

He had listened at the bathroom door, she had said she wanted a shower before bed. In reality she had sat in there and cried with the shower camouflaging her tears. He almost went in to comfort her, but decided to let her cry it out. It hurt him to hear her cry. It angered him. He wanted to drive over to the house and rip into Marylyn. To eviscerate her, but he knew that would only make this Christmas harder on Alex.

The shower turning off made him settle on the movie "A Christmas Story". Little Ralphie standing there in that hideous pink bunny outfit. The mother on the show reminded him of his own mother. Not just in looks, but in the way she handled things. From the soap in the mouth, to covering for him from his father. He chuckled at the scene as he thought of Pavy, he definitely would have been the kid who stuck his tongue to the flag pole!

CJT
CJT
668 Followers