Secrets Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sharon said, "We need to talk Alex. Can we go into the family consultation room where we won't be disturbed? Andie can come too if you like and the support might be good for you?"

Alex felt like he was going to lose his breakfast and he started to sweat. "Sure," he whispered, "it's right this way." Alex led the two women over to the consult room and punched the access code into the key pad and then held the door open for them to enter.

Once the door was closed, Sharon motioned for them all to have a seat and said, "Alex, this is going to be a difficult conversation and not one that I am looking forward to, based on the circumstances."

Alex's mouth went dry. Suddenly, he was not looking forward to this either. Sitting next to him, Andie reached out and took his hand. When he turned to look at her, he saw tears forming in her eyes and felt like the wind was just knocked out of him. He looked at Sharon and said, "Oh my God, is Mark not going to be approved for transplant?"

Sharon shook her head and said, "This has nothing to do with the transplant decision. This has everything to do with Mark's parents. Specifically, his father. Do you know anything about him?"

"Well, I know he is an asshole," Alex growled. "And he throws a mean punch."

"We know all about what transpired between the two of you last night Alex," said Sharon. "You have every right to press charges, but I have already heard from the ER staff that you refused to call the police. Is that true?"

"Yeah, as much as I would like to, I don't want that to come between me and Mark. A lot of people get very stressed at times like these and I just happened to be the target," he said.

"You know that Mr. Schmidt is a Judge, right?" Sharon asked. After seeing Alex's nod, she continued, "Well, he knows the legal system. Early this morning, he contacted Adult Protective Services and requested Power of Attorney and Healthcare Representation of Mark. It was approved."

"But, Mark is my partner," argued Alex. "Not just that, but we are also engaged. I think that I should have some say in what happens."

Sharon smiled and said, "Your sister was just telling me that. Congratulations to the both of you. But, Alex, you know from working in this field long enough that you have no legal right to make decisions regarding Mark's care unless he has given you POA. Also, even if you were married, you would have no rights without legal representation. The state of Illinois does not recognize same-sex marriage."

"Ok," said Alex. "What happens now? What does this mean for me?"

Sharon sighed and said, "The court faxed copies to my office this morning and they are in order. Mr. Schmidt came to my office a short while ago to see me. He is demanding that you stay away from Mark." Alex started to protest, but she held up her hand and continued, "He said that if you do not comply, he will get a restraining order. I know how horrible this sounds, but it would be very bad press for the hospital. This way, you can continue to work, but you will be required to refrain from entering Mark's room at any time."

Alex was in shock. "But, he is my fiancé and I have done nothing wrong!" he shouted. "No one can make me stay away from him!" Alex jumped up and knocked his chair over and turned toward the door.

"Alex, stop!" yelled Sharon. "Unfortunately, we can force you to stay away. Please don't make me have to remove you from the hospital. I don't want to do that. I have spoken to Dr. Tanner, and he assured me that Mark should be off the ventilator in a few days, maybe sooner. When he is awake and can make his own decisions again, I am sure that he will want you near him. This should only be temporary."

Alex sighed. He was beaten and had no way to fight back. He looked over at Andie and held out his hand to her. She stood and hugged him. "I'm so sorry Alex," she said. "Just a couple of days and you can have him back. You'll see. Mark loves you and he will straighten this out when he is able."

Alex looked at Sharon and said, "I'm not sure if I can do this. We have hardly been apart in five years, except for conferences, business trips and the times he went to see his parents. How can I work on the unit with him here and not go to him? This is unfair. Can't you do something to help me?"

Sharon shook her head. "No, Alex there is nothing we can do. If you two had Living Wills or POA, that would be different and I could fight for you. My hands are tied at this point." She was starting to tear up at this point. "I feel so bad for you. When I spoke to Dr. Tanner, he was anticipating your reaction and said for the time being, he was willing to put you on paid administrative leave."

Alex knew he was defeated and his shoulders slumped. "Fuck," he said. "Can I at least go see him before I leave?"

"Yes," Sharon said. "Mr. and Mrs. Schmidt are still in my office. I told them to wait there until you were off the unit. I can give you a few minutes, but I am afraid they will grow impatient. For the record Alex, I am truly sorry this has to happen and I hope that it will be over soon."

"Thanks," said Alex as he opened the door. "Please let me know when it is safe for me to come back." Sharon nodded her head as she wiped the tears from her eyes. With Andie in tow, he walked down the hall to Mark's room.

Janna looked up from her charting and smiled tentatively when he entered the room. "Hey Janna, would you mind giving me a few minutes alone with Mark?" Alex asked. When she looked conflicted, he thought "Damn, she already knows. News travels fast."

Andie, picking up her belongings said, "It's ok Janna. Alex was given a few minutes to say Goodbye. Let's go out in the hall and talk." Janna nodded and followed her out of the room and quietly closed the door.

Once he was alone with Mark, Alex sat on the edge of the bed and started to cry. "Mark sweetheart, I don't know if you can hear or understand me, but I have to go for a while. I don't want to, but this is something that I have to do for us." Tears were running down his cheeks and blurring his vision. He took the RN pin from the lapel of his Lab Coat and pinned it to the front of Mark's hospital gown over his heart. "Please wake up and come back to me. When you do, I will be right here and never leave your side again."

With that, he placed his hand on Mark's chest over the pin and said, "Until then, I will be right here. I love you so much."

Alex leaned over and picked up both of Mark's hands and kissed them, then reaching up, he kissed each cheek and his forehead inhaling the scent of the man that he loved more than anything in the world.

With a deep sigh, he wiped his tears and took a long look at Mark, then turned and walked from the room.

End of Chapter 3

12