Secrets of the Tea Room Ch. 03

Story Info
Dana moves in with Jackson.
3.3k words
4.7
10.2k
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 3 of the 18 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/12/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As I watched Dana Prentiss drive down the oak lined avenue to the main road, Vonne appeared behind me. "Telephone ..." I thanked her and walked toward my study. Yes, indeed, I had been waiting on this call. It was, for the time being our only connection, and I cherished each one as I eagerly anticipated the next.

I picked up the receiver, "Hello my love."

It would not be long now, just a matter of a few short weeks before she would join me here at Tanglewood. We had carefully picked it out of several estates found for us by our Broker. We liked the seclusion, the quiet of the country, and the grace of the home. We had been told that the house had been built by a local physician to share his golden years with his bride of 40 years. You could touch the wood and almost feel the happiness of the home. She and I both felt it and fell in love with Tanglewood instantly.

Now Tanglewood would repeat its history. We two would enjoy every day together for the rest of our lives. We would unencumbered by business demands or financial concerns. Tanglewood would be provided us with a buffer from the rest of the world. It was something we had talked about and planned for years, and it was finally coming true.

We chatted more about our plans before getting down to business. "Yes," I said, "I've had occasion to meet Miss Prentiss now twice.

Sweetheart ... she's a wonderful young woman ... she's bright, she's pretty although she doesn't seem to think so ... she appears to be at peace with herself, but it's obvious she still carries around a lot of issues and pain. I don't think she lets very many people get too close to her ... she tends to be introverted ... and I'm guessing she guards her heart vigilantly.

I think there can be a lot done for her ... but given the specifications of our client I'm going to have to approach her in a round-about way. Just getting her to open her mind and heart will be a challenge, but I'm certain it will have the desired outcome.

I can't wait to see your beautiful face again and I have already planned my next steps with Miss Prentiss ... the sooner we finish with this com mission the sooner we can be together!"

"Yes, I love you, too. I will do everything I can think of to reach a speedy conclusion As soon as I feel the breakthrough is imminent, I will let you know so that you can escort the client to Tanglewood."

"Good-bye, Darling. I'll talk to you again in a few days."

As I hung up the phone, I glanced at my bookshelves and took down a number of my journals. In the years I had spent in this vocation, I found it advantageous to keep notes on various teaching tools. After a while, it no longer became necessary to re-invent the wheel with every client, but simply modify and combine other strategies to perfectly fit the present occasion.

"Hello, Miss Prentiss." Vonne began, "Mr. Emerly asked me to call and arrange another appointment for your interview on Wednesday." I wasn't surprised when I picked up the phone and found Vonne on the other end.

My good sense told me that I shouldn't go back ... come into my parlor said the spider to the fly ... but my curiosity overruled. "Well, let me check my day planner ...", I replied with a bit of a guilty conscience since I had Fed-Ex'd the floppy disc containing my article just this morning, "I see that I'm free after lunch on Wednesday, will that fit into Mr. Emerly's schedule?"

Vonne didn't hesitate, which struck me as odd, but agreed to the meeting at once.

Well, I'd see Mr. Emerly just once more and use the occasion to explain to him that I felt I had no choice but to omit him from my article as a result of a deadline squeeze. That wasn't too much of a lie ... one I could live with. After Wednesday, the society pages would have to deal with Mr. Emerly.

As I prepared to leave the apartment Wednesday morning, there was a knock at my door. The postman was there to deliver a certified letter for which I had to sign. This was odd. It had been years since I had gotten a certified letter. I was puzzled and wondered about it as I walked back to my couch.

A frown began to form on my face as I began reading ... "the building has been purchased with the intent of remodeling as condominiums for re-sale. This is your thirty day notice to vacate the premises." Well, Damn! I had only settled in here a few months ago, now my life would be in upheaval again.

I grumbled and frowned as I made my way to the parking garage, started my car, and headed out the now familiar route to Tanglewood.

I arrived and Vonne showed me to the study where Mr. Emerly was waiting for me. He stood as I entered the room and I stretched my hand out to shake his. Once again, and I didn't think I would ever get used to it, he turned my hand over and placed a gentle kiss there. "Miss Prentiss! It is good to see you again and I'm eagerly looking forward to completing this interview this afternoon. I must apologize for holding you up for this long, but I promise to make it up to you." As he spoke, he was leading me out of doors this time to the west side of the veranda. "Mr. Emerly, in fact, I came today to let you know that my publishers had begun to put more pressure on me and I'm afraid I had to finish the article without completing our portion on you."

"Oh, that's alright ... I really have been enjoying our visits so much ... to tell you the truth, that was the main reason I finally agreed to the inter view at all.

It's a shame, though, don't you think?"

Suddenly those blue eyes began to dance again as he turned to face me, "You know ... it's a wicked wind that blows no luck ...this whole thing could be turned around to our advantage!

Miss Prentiss, I have been long thinking about writing my memoirs and I am fully aware I do not have the ability with words necessary to do so. Perhaps you would consider coming into my employ and helping me with this project. I assure you that your salary will be generous and when we are finished, you'll be free to go your own way. What do you think?"

"I think that would be interesting, Mr. Emerly, but you see I just today received notice that my apartment building has been sold to some developer who wishes to remodel it into condominiums for sale. I'm afraid my next few weeks are going to be spent packing and looking for another place to live."

He studied my face and replied, "Oh, I see ... that does complicate things ... but wait. Why don't you move in here while we work on the book, during your spare time you can be looking for another place to live. We can take care of both our requirements at the same time."

"Mr. Emerly, I could not impose. Shouldn't you speak with Vonne. I'm sure she would not welcome another woman in the house ..."

The laugh interrupted me, "Miss Prentiss. You misunderstand. Vonne is my assistant and a very good one at that, I would be lost without her. However, she is just my assistant. She returns to her own quarters every night when our work is done. She is not the romantic interest in my life. And you should know, I am deeply and completely in love with the most marvelous woman. She will be joining me here soon and I'm sure you will be as fond of her as she will be of you.

Please say you'll consider my offer ... if for no other reason than to help a lonely man fill the days until his other half arrives."

There was an earnestness in his eyes when he spoke of the woman he loved which compelled me to trust him, and it would be a convenient bridge to finding a new place to live. Tanglewood was certainly beautiful, and I very much enjoyed being out of the city in these peaceful sur- roundings.

"Alright, Mr. Emerly, we'll see if together we can write a book. I'll spend the next couple of days packing and then ... "Nonsense," he cut in, "let's start right away ... I'll have Vonne arrange for movers to pack for you and we'll put your things in storage until you find a new place. In the meantime, why don't you go back to your apartment, pick up whatever clothes you feel you'll need and your personal belongings.

Plan on being here first thing in the morning, we'll get started then. Serendipity has smiled on us, Miss Prentiss, I'm sure we'll work well together."

And that was that. Mr. Emerly turned and strode back into his house. I walked around to my car, and had to laugh ... it seemed like every time I left Tanglewood I was either confused or befuddled.

I took out my garment bag and sorted through my clothes, choosing a few casual work outfits and started packing. I roamed from closet to dresser to chest trying to decide on what I should take and what would be left to be packed and stored away. I finally decided that it would be like packing for a two week vacation and that made my decisions easier.

I had to remind myself that I would only be a few miles outside city limits ... not on a mountain top in Tibet ... I could always go shopping for anything I had forgotten or omitted.

I'd have to remind myself to ask Vonne to arrange for my computer to be delivered to Tanglewood and set up. I packed a few necessary things ... my day planner, tape recorder for interviews, checkbook, dictionary and Thesaurus ... again, anything else I found myself needing could be ordered from a local office supply.

Since it was still early, I made a couple of trips to my car, leaving only my garment and make-up bag to carry down the next morning. I opened a bottle of wine and made myself a chef's salad out of the veggies left in the frig ... no sense in wasting them. I crossed the room to turn on the stereo and settled down to my supper. I was not particularly interested in the salad, but it was easy to eat as I watched the daylight turn to dusk and the lights of Savannah begin to twinkle.

I took my wine glass and the remainder of the bottle to the bathroom where I drew another hot bath. I mused at the quirky twists and turns life can make ... instead of looking forward to a hot bath and another glass of wine, I would ordinarily be furiously pursuing my next free lance writing assignment. Thanks to fate or karma I would be spending the next few weeks listening to the dull memories of a pleasant man, trying to give it enough spice to be able to put it in book form, and enjoying the languid pace of rural living.

A sudden pang of guilt made me wonder if I was taking advantage of Mr. Emerly ... after all, living at Tanglewood while looking for another apartment would make my life easier ... however, I had serious doubts about helping him with his memoirs. Very few business men had the types of lives that ordinary people wanted to read about ... mergers, accounting and marketing were not the stuff great novels are made of. Perhaps I should speak with him in the morning before unpacking. It would be unfair to take advantage of his hospitality without being perfectly honest about my misgivings.

That being settled in my own mind, I sank further down into the tub and poured the last of the wine into the glass.

Later when I slipped into bed, I had nearly nodded off before I realized that once again I had not worn a night shirt ... suddenly having nothing between myself and the crisp linens was the most comfortable I could be and it made me smile.

No matter what time of the day I drove up to Tanglewood, it seemed always to be captured by the best possible light. It was easy to see why Mr. Emerly had fallen in love not only with the estate of Tanglewood, but the house particularly. Far from ostentatious, it's subtle Southern charm beckoned to visitors to enter, be at home, and linger for a while.

Vonne must have heard my car ... she was on the veranda to greet me as soon as I parked the car, "Miss Prentiss, Mr. Emerly told me of your gracious consent to help him with his memoirs. We've prepared a guest room for your use while you are with us here ... I hope you like it." She led me through the foyer and main hall to the stairwell curving to the second floor, "Mr. Emerly is currently engaged with one of his business associates, so we have plenty of time to get you settled in." At the top of the stairs she paused and opened the double doors to what she had referred to as a 'guest room'.

In front of me was a beautiful sitting room furnished in anti-bellum splendor. Vonne walked past an oversized fainting couch upholstered in pink and lavender florals to an elegantly carved wardrobe, she opened the doors to reveal a television and stereo, "Mr. Emerly wanted to make sure to were completely comfortable here.

When you need time alone, I'm sure you'll find pleasant sanctuary here. You have a private bath," she walked to the next door and opened it showing me the bathroom, complete with whirlpool tub, then crossed the room to open the door to my bedroom, "As well as your bedroom." She walked to open the French doors which led to a little balcony overlooking the gardens, then pointed out the telephone sitting on an occasional table next to an elegantly upholstered Queen Anne chair, "Underneath the phone is a list of household extensions. Please do not hesitate calling any of us should you need anything. The kitchen, my office, Mr. Emerly's office, and our handyman are listed. Of course, you are welcome to take your meals with Mr. Emerly as you'd like, but if you want anything from a steak to a bowl of ice cream, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll let you settle in now. Mr. Emerly would like for you to join him for lunch on the east veranda at 12:30 to plan out your strategies for his memoirs.

Do you have any questions or special requests that I can help you with?" This was the first time I'd ever spent more than just a minute or two with Vonne and my head was spinning with the whirlwind tour, telephone instructions, and the very thought that I now had a 'staff' at my disposal. She stopped her perpetual motion and turned to face me.

I realized for the first time that she was a pretty young woman; however, slightly on the plain side. It occurred to me all of a sudden that it was her dynamic personality and energy that gave her the aura of beauty. She also had a pair of soft green eyes that on the one hand sparkled and danced, and on the other hand were very kind and encouraged trust.

I smiled, "No, I don't think so ... I'm really kind of overwhelmed at the moment, but if I think of anything ... oh, oh, ... yes! Would it be possible to have a coffee pot and supplies up here? I'm afraid I drink it by the gallons!" Vonne face lit up with her smile, and she replied, "Of course! I'll have it arranged this afternoon ... can I tell Mr. Emerly you'll join him for lunch?" "Yes", I replied, "And thanks for everything Vonne." She continued to smile, then nodded her head and closed the double doors behind her as she left.

I turned to examine my new surroundings at length. The sitting room was, indeed, elegant, luxurious, and comfortable. In fact the three rooms seemed to be furnished with a flair toward feminine tastes. The drapes were plush velvet with tasseled fringe a la Scarlet O'Hara, the furniture was oversized and overstuffed adding to it's comfort. Little occasional tables held bric a brac, fresh flowers, or waited simply for a cup of coffee to be set down. Chairs were paired with footstools, and a mohair throw could be used to snuggle on the fainting couch to watch a good movie. Underneath it all, an oriental rug separated the furniture from the hardwood floors.

I walked into the bathroom, not realizing before, that it's size nearly equaled that of the parlor. To my left was the whirlpool bath set just so that its occupant could watch the clouds drift by outside the windows with no concern for lack of privacy. I smiled and shook my head when I noticed the tray of bubble bath, salts and soaps on the tub's edge, but it didn't surprise me. I had begun to realize that either Vonne or Mr. Emerly had thought of everything.

Straight ahead the sink and vanity were well lit and offered ample room for my toiletries. And to my right, the shower ... built up two steps and recessed. Above the shower was a warming light and below the floor almost sightlessly sloped to the drain in the middle. Water sprayed from the three sides of the shower and due to the way it was recessed there was no need for a shower curtain.

The cream colored tub and vanity were complimented by matching fixtures, the tiles were a dark rose pink and the painted walls and ceiling matched the color perfectly separated only by ornately carved crown molding painted the same cream color as the fixtures.

I turned to take a look at my bedroom. Upon entering the central point of the entire room was a large canopied bed. The canopy, coverlet and matching skirt appeared to be hand crocheted in a natural cotton giving it an open, airy look. Under the coverlet was a lining of light pink which had also been used in some of the six throw pillows at the head of the bed. The rest of the room was simply furnished with a chest, full length mirror, small table and settee. Underfoot was a plush rug blooming in springtime violets and sweetheart roses.

Damn! All of this wasn't going to be easy to give up ... but, at lunch I was determined to voice my misgivings about writing this book ... lunch! A quick glance at my watch told me it was time to hurry downstairs to the veranda or I'd be late ... wouldn't want to keep Mr. Emerly waiting, so I skipped down the stairs and found my way to the veranda.

Unknown to me at the time, Mr. Emerly was on the telephone with his lawyer, "Yes, Peter. I've arranged to purchase an apartment building. I'd like for you to draw up the contract with the architect and his construction people to convert the building into condominiums. We'll arrange for a broker to sell them when they're finished. Yes ... please keep me informed of the progress. Well, I need to go now, lunch is waiting. Good-bye."