Secrets of the Tea Room Ch. 15

Story Info
Rose tells Dana of Avery Leigh's fate.
2.6k words
4.73
8.3k
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 15 of the 18 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/12/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jackson and I spent the day in Savannah shopping, then Vonne and I sent him on his way Thursday to meet with his attorneys in Atlanta. When she saw him finally drive out of sight, Vonne's sigh was audible.

"Thank goodness! Well, Dana, if you'll excuse me, I've still got a lot to do to get ready for Friday …" She turned and made her way back into the house and down the hall toward the study.

I slowly climbed the stairs to my room, for the first time since coming to Tanglewood I felt a little out of place. Jackson was preoccupied with Rose's arrival. Vonne's time was completely taken up with preparations for Thanksgiving and then the ensuing Christmas Party.

I spent a lot of time in my room, trying to keep busy re-writing some of Jackson's memoirs, but when my mind traveled I found myself again listening to O'Carolyn's music and picking up the mysterious book. The darned thing was always in my way … no matter where I tried to sit or relax, the book was in view, within reach, beckoning to me. I had almost memorized some of the poems written for me … but most poignant was the prayer of St. Donwenna. Without realizing, it had become a daily prayer in my life … "We beseech thee, comfort lovers whose vision is unclear."

Friday the house was alive with activity. The household staff scurried around cleaning, cooking, sweeping verandas.

Jackson had arrived back at Tanglewood by noon and had been in perpetual motion trying to relieve some of his anxiousness by getting in the middle of everything that everyone else was doing. He was in the kitchen sampling sauces and soups, he inspected the fresh flowers in the foyer , he made sure there wasn't one stray leaf on the veranda.

Finally late afternoon, we heard a car approaching the house. Jackson was the first out the front door, followed by Vonne, then myself.

The car slowed to a stop by the front steps leading to the veranda. The driver got out and opened the back door just as Jackson descended the steps.

The first thing I saw was a bent head full of upswept black curls, then a graceful leg ending in a dainty foot. The driver offered his hand and perfectly manicured fingers accepted his assistance. Jackson, by this time, was at the bottom of the stairs and waited impatiently as the lady straightened herself. I only had a brief moment to glimpse her face before Jackson embraced her and lower his head to meet her upturned face in a kiss.

The kiss was interrupted when Vonne flew down the stairs, "Mama!" and into the waiting arms of Jackson's love. I stood on the veranda, again with my mouth opened in shock and I noticed Jackson turn his head toward me and chuckle.

When the two ladies had embraced and kissed, they walked arm-in-arm to where I was standing, "Dana," Jackson began, "I'd like to introduce you to Vonne's mother and the queen of my heart …"

I looked into the serene face of a timeless beauty. I knew Rose was a few years older than Jackson, so I realized she was in her late 50's; however, the woman who stood before me was vibrant and graceful. Her face showed very few of her years … her smile was genuine and disarming and her eyes sparkled.

Rose stepped forward offering both her hands, "Dana, Vonne and Jackson have told me so much about you I feel as though I already know you. And after your work on Jackson's project I dare say you probably feel the same way … so, let's forego all the formalities …call me Rose. Now, everyone, let's go inside out of this chill."

And so she lead her entourage through the foyer and into the parlor.

I chose an inconspicuous chair to watch the three of them. Suddenly with the addition of Rose to the equation, I could see the resemblance between the three of them. Vonne had Jackson's height and agile build … she carried herself as he did and also had inherited his sense of calm and control. It was obvious that Vonne had inherited her eyes and hair from Rose, and their eyes sharing the same twinkle that concealed an innate wisdom deep within their beings.

Finally, Jackson noticed where I was sitting quietly, "Dana, I know this poses more questions than answers and I promise Rose and I will answer all your questions and explain everything, but for now, if you and Vonne will have to excuse us. Rose and I have been apart too long.

I've instructed the kitchen to serve our dinner in our room tonight so you two ladies", nodding and Vonne and myself, "will be on your own. In fact, I don't think you should count on seeing us until Sunday brunch … say about 10:00?"

He had stepped closer to Rose and was steering her toward the door before he had finished speaking … she only acknowledged his explanation to us with a dazzling smile.

Vonne smirked and turned toward me, "Well, Dana, it looks like you have another day and a half to yourself. You'd better take advantage of it … now that Mother is here, I imagine you're going to be working harder than ever once she and Dad come out of their hibernation."

And, she was right. Rose wasted no time in approaching me at brunch on Sunday, "Dana … I was wondering if you had a copy of your work with Jackson? I'd very much like to read it and Jackson thinks it's a wonderful idea Who knows, I might even be able to give you a little more insight."

"I think that would be great … I'll run a copy for you this afternoon and perhaps we could get together the first of the week, before Thanksgiving, I'd love to include your input."

The rest of the meal was filled with gentle banter, catching up, and talk of the upcoming party. As soon as I finished I excused myself and went to my room to produce the copy for Rose. Once it was complete I took it downstairs and left it in the study for her review.

Walking slowly back up the stairs I heard O'Carolyn's music drifting out of my room and when I entered, the book was on the fainting couch turned to St. Donwenna's prayer … "We beseech thee, comfort lovers whose vision is unclear."

I quickly turned off the stereo, slammed the book shut, grabbed my jacket and ran back downstairs and out the front door … I needed a long walk and a lot of fresh air to clear my head. The long walk in the autumn air did little but make me hungry.

After I returned to the house I went to the kitchen and made myself two little sandwiches out of left over biscuits and sausage patties. I grabbed a napkin and a chilled bottle of wine out of the frig and took them upstairs with me. While I quickly ate the two sausage biscuits I ran myself a tub of hot water and uncorked the wine.

Tonight, I resolved, I would not be haunted by dreams of my mystery lover … tonight I wanted to sleep dreamless … between the whirlpool bath and the wine I felt sure I could finally sleep through the night.

I smiled and stretched in my red when I realized that the morning sun had awaken me after hours of coma-like sleep.

Rose approached me, "Come sit with me for a while." I followed her into the dining room where she had already arranged to have coffee and pastries on the table, "Sit down, Dana. Jackson told me that he had relayed the story of Jennifer and Allen to you … but there's part of the story he's not aware of … it provides closure …

The wedding was a simple one … Jennifer and Allen had chosen to be married in the home they would share with just a few close friends and family attending.

As Jackson and I approached the front door I turned to him, "Go on ahead … I want to see Jennifer before the wedding … I'll find you in a few minutes."

I climbed the stairs and rapped on the door where Jennifer was in her final stages of preparation, one of her attendants opened the door to reveal Jennifer standing in front of a full length mirror as her veil was being arranged. Jennifer was radiant, happiness seemed to swell from each pore.

She had chosen a traditional wedding gown, heart-shaped neckline narrowing down to a tiny waist and then full bell skirt adorned with seed pearls and lace … but that's where tradition ended. Jennifer had instructed the bridal shop to have the dress custom made from a soft gold satin … her veil and tiara matched.

Before me stood a young woman glowing like a celestial spirit … "My darling, look at you! Every bride should be beautiful on her wedding day … but you … you've gone beyond that … you are exquisite! I'm so happy for both you and Allen, but before the ceremony begins, I came to see if we could spend a few minutes alone together before you take your vows … I have something for you which can only be shared between the two of us …"

"Of course, Rose," Jennifer replied as she nodded toward her attendants, "I'll be ready in just a few minutes and join you outside …"

I waited until they had left before stepping up to Jennifer and handing her a plain manila envelope, "You should see this before you walk down the aisle …"

Jennifer looked at me with in a question in her eyes as she unclasped the envelope, a newspaper clipping fell to the floor and Jennifer stooped to pick it up, the headline "Curator Disgraces Museum" caught her eye. She looked over at me before reading, "Mr. Avery Leigh, Curator of the Museum of Renaissance Art, has been dismissed as a result of fraud.

After a lengthy investigation, authorities determined several paintings recommended by Mr. Leigh were forgeries and not rare works of masters. It was determined that an accomplice, Mr. Harold Smythe a local artist had, in fact, forged the copies which were sold to the Museum as originals. Two others, Mrs. Carolyn Avery and Franklin Sarte were also arrested for their part in the deception …."

"I thought you'd want to know, Jen, that while your life is just beginning, theirs are ruined forever … and there is one thing further you should know …",

During his whole time Jennifer had said nothing and her face remained expressionless. Now she hesitated for a moment and stared at me, "I was taught that vengeance is the Lord's and I'm sure that's true and it sounds like vengeance has been exacted from that evil bunch … but justice, Rose … where's the justice?"

I opened my purse and pulled out an obituary notice and handed it to Jennifer.

"Mr. Avery Leigh, former Curator for the London Renaissance Museum, was found dead earlier this week just hours before his sentencing hearing stemming from art fraud. Scotland Yard has issued a statement indicating foul play and that their investigation is on-going …"

"Jennifer, I pulled some strings to get a copy of the police and coroner's report … they are both very unpleasant … do you want to know anything further?"

I crossed the room and took Jennifer's gloved hands into my own, "There was justice, Jennifer … Avery Leigh was found in a deserted warehouse, strapped down to a table … he had been tortured and bled to death as a result of castration … evidently another of his victims finally caught up with him.

I understand that Scotland Yard is not investing a lot of time in their investigation to find the killer. I'd say this chapter in history is now closed."

A tear was apparent in Jennifer's eye, but it wasn't one of sadness, it was a tear of release … Jennifer leaned over and kissed me on the cheek, "The past is dead now … truly dead."

I joined Jackson in the large foyer of the home. Allen and Jennifer had the large area decorated with brilliant autumn colors and arranged with seating for the few guests. The archway to the living room had been draped to match and decorated with fresh flowers, Judge James Johnson stood there to reside over the ceremony and Allen took his place as the soft music began playing.

Two attendants descended the stairway, the first in a dress of autumn green, the second in a dress of rust the color of oak leaves … they slowly took their places on the other side of the Judge.

All heads turned toward the top of the staircase as Jennifer appeared … no one walked her to the alter … no one "gave her away" … she went to Allen whole-heartedly of her own free will. We were all surprised when Handal's Wedding March did not begin, instead we first heard the strings of violins and then Etta James' sultry voice as she began to sing "At Last".

Jennifer slowly descended the stairs toward Allen. He being more impatient than a groom many years his junior, could not stand still … he finally could not contain himself any longer and strode quickly to the bottom of the stairway … he held out his hand to his golden treasure … as she reached to grasp his hand rousing applause from the guests drowned out the music as they approached the Judge together …

Jackson and I stood side by side, an electric current constantly running between us. For the first time in public, I leaned toward him and wrapped my arm through his. Everyone there had only eyes for the wedding couple and didn't see the electricity flashing between my eyes and his. And thankfully, Jackson didn't notice as I bowed my head in a silent prayer asking God's forgiveness for my orchestration of Avery Leigh's execution."

My mouth dropped and I stared into Rose's eyes, "You mean …?"

"Yes, Dana. After hearing Jennifer's story I did a little discrete investigation of my own using some contacts I had in London. There were several other unsolved rapes which had destroyed young women and my friend at Scotland Yard estimated that there were numerous others which had never been reported.

It was supposed that he would have gotten a relatively light sentence for the art forgery, but I could not in good conscience, allow this monster to be let loose again on young women. I saw to it that he was stopped … stopped permanently … and I'm sure he's dancing with the devil in hell. I don't regret my actions … not for one minute … but I wanted you to know. I do ask, however, that Jackson never be told. If I were to be ever found out, I would not want him implicated in that sordid business."

Her calm, emerald eyes leveled on me and I saw nothing there which would incline me to disregard her wish. "Of course, Rose. This part of the story will stay between the two of us … and I don't think asking for forgiveness was necessary … sometimes we become the tools of God's work here on earth."

She smiled as I finished my coffee and said, "I think Jackson is waiting for me now to continue his memoirs … if you don't mind, Rose, I think I'd better go find him."

She just nodded and I saw her gather strength to contain the tears that threatened to fall from her eye.