Secrets of The Tea Room Ch. 18

Story Info
Jackson & Rose take on their final commission.
2.2k words
4.81
8.8k
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 18 of the 18 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/12/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Strangely enough, though, Rose and I were approached not long ago for one last commission. It's the last story I want to tell you about .... although we knew it would require this last separation, we felt obligated to try to help someone one last time.

Rose was introduced to a young man through one of her previous clients. She met with the young man, a man I might add, young enough to be her son, to ascertain the feasibility of taking the commission.

The young man relayed his story to Rose. Due to the circumstances of his particular situation, he was interested in instruction in the romantic arts. He felt his capabilities as a lover were sufficient. It seemed that through callousness, thoughtlessness, immaturity and plain stupidity he had managed to destroy the only future he could imagine for himself.

He asked that Rose enlighten him in the various skills necessary to win and keep his love's heart. He knew that he was sadly lacking in the romantic graces and was utterly void of panache.

After throwing away what he perceived as his only chance for happiness he had fallen in and out of one tawdry affair after another. He realized these affairs only amplified his loneliness and magnified his knowledge that without his love he would never be a complete man again.

You know my Rose has a soft spot in her heart for all suffering lovers so she agreed to take this last commission. She and I had already chosen this house and she, by necessity, needed to stay in New Orleans to divest herself of her business interests inherited from Kellen Knight. She used that time to tutor this young man.

She found that although he had a genuine love, he was incapable of putting his thoughts into words. It's not uncommon these days, you know, I think both men and women have lost their ability to expose themselves and their vulnerability when in love. Most seem to remain guarded as though they expect to be hurt in the long run and somehow seek to diminish the inevitable hurt they are so certain will occur.

During long sessions Rose taught him the language of love, not just the words but how to express the words and feelings in tangible ways ... to offer symbols of his romantic intentions. She showed him that the courting and winning of a woman did not end with wedding vows. She taught him that couples must show their love each and every day in some way, with daily considerations and affection.

He learned that desire for each other must not be allowed to wane, that passion needs tending and needs to be nurtured and he was an apt student. He was eager and willing to learn, to go through any lengths necessary to master those things which might redeem him from the despondent shadows void of warmth and caring."

I noticed that Jackson never broke eye contact with me as he relayed the beginnings of this story, it was one I could tell which touched him very deeply and I was anxious to hear more of the details. Before he could continue, Vonne knocked on the study door, "Dad ... there are some last minute details of the party I need you to okay ..."

"Well, duty calls, Dana ... perhaps we should postpone the finishing of this until after the party, let's plan on getting together on Monday to finish up."

"Sure. Vonne, before you go, could you help me with my hair for the party tonight? I'm afraid I don't have the slightest idea what to do with it."

She smiled before following Jackson out the door, "Of course! I'll see you tonight about 7:00 to put the finishing touches on you. You'll knock half of Savannah on its heels tonight when they see you in that burgundy dress!"

I smiled to myself, "Yeah, sure ..." but I was looking forward to the party and wouldn't let anything dampen my spirits, after all my mystery lover had said he would make himself known to me before New Year's, maybe he would be included among the guests tonight.

I decided to head up to my room as much out of self preservation as anything else. The house was being invaded by all sorts of people preparing for the festivities. My best course of action would be to stay out of their way and that would give me plenty of time for a manicure, pedicure and leisurely bath before getting dressed.

As dusk settled over Tanglewood, twinkling lights threaded through shrubbery began to glow. The drive was lined with a Southern twist on luminarias: the decorators had taken antique blue mason jars, tied red satin bows around the tops and placed votive candles in them. The effect for arriving guests was impressive.

The verandas had been decorated with candles, fresh and silk flowers, lights, and a group of Dickensonian Carolers stood to one side singing in perfect harmony as the guests walked up the stairs to be greeted by a doorman.

The decorations in the house were sophisticated and subtle. No twinkling lights but soft candlelight danced over the walls and offered a calming atmosphere. Waiters had begun to circulate with trays filled with a variety of tempting indulgences while others carried trays of filled champagne glasses.

In one corner of the parlor a string quartet had begun playing light classical and seasonal music. As guests began to arrive and recognized each other, they shared their curiosity about Mr. Emerly. Several of Savannah's single women had been invited and hoped to snare the attention of this most recent gentleman. Soft laughter and the hum of conversations drifted up the stairway.

Vonne was good to her promise and knocked on my door promptly at 7:00. I had already slipped into the dress and heels and had applied my make-up a little more dramatically for the evening. My hair was freshly shampooed, shining and waiting for Vonne to do her magic.

She gave me a quick look as she came in, 'I was right about that dress it brings out the absolute best in you. Now, sit here and let's see what we can do with your hair.'

I sat with my back to her and could only feel as she brushed my hair to the top of my head, capturing it in her other hand. I felt pins as she secured curls and locks in a loose pattern but I had no idea how it would look. After only a few minutes, she finished with hair spray and gave my head a generous spritz to help it stay in place.

She handed me a mirror and it was as if I were looking at myself for the first time. Staring back at me wasn't the little so-so, average, unremarkable woman who came up the stairs this afternoon.

I looked at Vonne with a question in my eyes and she took my hand and led me to the full length mirror. I was overwhelmed ... the image in front of me was a beautiful woman, a sensuous, sexy creature I didn't know.

'I told you, Dana, didn't I? You were made to wear this dress. Now here, put on the earrings and join the others down stairs.

I only have a few minutes to get my dress on before Mother and Dad make their entrance and I don't want to be late for tha. I want to see the faces of Savannah's nobility when they finally have their curiosity quenched. I don't think they even know about Mother yet, so that should be really interesting! See you in a few minutes.' she called back over her shoulder as she was leaving.

I took one more look in the mirror to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, then took a deep breath and started down the stairs. I found a quiet little spot by a credenza in the foyer where I had a birds-eye view of the stairwell and many of the guests. Within just a few minutes Vonne joined me, dressed in a stunning cream satin dress that was draped off her shoulders and fell gracefully to the floor. The color was perfect and accented her exquisite coloring and hair.

Vonne watched the top of the stairs and I noticed her give an imperceptible nod. She then signaled the quartet and they finished playing their selection. She made her way to the stairway and climbed to the third step, 'Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please. First, let me welcome you all to Tanglewood. We are so pleased that you could join us here tonight to share our hospitality and help us usher in our first holiday season here in Savannah. Now I'd like to introduce you to your host and hostess, Jackson and Rose Emerly.'

As Jackson and Rose appeared at the top of the stairs she slipped her hand through his arm as they descended toward the guests together. Every pair of eyes took in the stunning couple, so complimentary to each other, so perfect together.

When they reached the foyer, guests were welcomed personally by Jackson and Rose. The quartet started playing again and their curiosity having been somewhat satiated, the guests began to circulate again.

The evening went quickly and flawlessly. The food, the wine, the music, the guests, the hosts were beyond reproach.

Somewhere around 10:00 Rose found me in the library talking with a group of people there, 'Pardon us, could you excuse Dana for a minute, please.' as she took my elbow and steered me toward the study.

'Dana, I know Jackson told you something about this last commission we accepted. I wanted to add just a little more information to his story. This was an exceptionally challenging commission. As I worked with the young man, it was necessary that Jackson also become involved.

However, our client's stipulation was that no physical contact was to be made ... not between himself and me, nor between Jackson and the lady he was working with.'

"Rose, all this time I didn't realize Jackson was working on a commission. I haven't seen anyone else around here in a couple of months, he most certainly was discrete."

She smiled that enigmatic smile of hers, 'Yes dear, I know. Jackson is the very soul of discretion ... but ... well ... there's just no other way to do this ..."

I cocked my head to one side and looked at her with a puzzled expression on my face totally unaware that anyone else was in the room with us.

Then behind me I heard, 'Dana ... I've said my prayers every night. Did you pray to Saint Donwenna, too? Have my prayers been answered?' For several seconds I couldn't breathe. I felt my hands begin to tremble and my knees felt suddenly like they were made of taffy.

A heavy silence hung over the room as I turned. Out of the shadow beside the window a tall, dark, mysterious man stepped out. Before I saw his face, I recognized his scent. The same scent from the cards, from the book, from my dreams. My throat closed, my mouth was dry, and I reached for a chair to steady myself and he walked closer. "Peter..."

- Finis - Postscript

There were only three of us there. The room was bathed in the amber glow of candles even though the curtains had been drawn tight.

His gunmetal hair now shown a brilliant silver and he lay bolstered by pillows underneath his back to aid his breathing. We stood back and watched the final chapter in this remarkable life. A beautiful woman in her late 30's sat by his bedside holding his hand while he slept.

He stirred and awoke, turning his head he smiled when he saw her face, "You look so much like your dear mother. It won't be long now until I see her again, I'm looking forward to it. No, don't cry, it's alright. I'm anxious to go. She and I have spent too many years apart over our lives. I don't want to wait this time."

As his eyes adjusted to the dim light he saw us standing there, "Of all the commissions we ever had, yours was the most special ... it does an old man's heart good to see you here together. Thank you for coming."

His head sank back into the pillow as if those few sentences had taxed what little energy he had left. Peter and I stepped up behind the young woman and I put my hand on her shoulder as we watched in silence.

With great effort he turned to Vonne, "Darling, hand me that package on my dresser."

She did as he asked then he looked at me, "Dana, I've saved the work you and I did all those years ago ... it now belongs to you. If you want to try to have it published, you can do so with my blessings." and he closed his eyes and became quiet once again.

His eyes opened one last time as he gazed beyond all that we could see and he smiled, "Finally, my darling ..." then he was gone.

The young woman was racked with sobs, "Don't cry, Vonne. He's with your mother now and they both are happy."