Selected for Sport Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alanna stared up into the fierce eyes, lit with a strange longing that contrasted with the stern, craggy face. Her hand lifted to touch his rough cheek, and the grim look lightened. "Did you recognise her?" she asked.

"Rebeqa, one of the Tahl-mat's companions." Xanir's voice was heavy with dark thoughts, and he rested his cheek against her hair, relaxing into her curves and the delicate fingertips running gently over his scalp.

"Was he Hector Beguine?" Alanna pursued. She would get used to having to drag things out of him, she promised herself. At least he no longer seemed averse to giving information when she asked for it. His bare chest under her cheek was beginning to lead her thoughts in other directions. And she liked the stubble along his jawline: a mixture of soft and prickly, just like him. She lifted her head to nibble little kisses against the rough skin, hearing his breath catching in his throat. Excitement pulsed.

Xanir shook his head, and his arms tightened. "One of Sarah's Zalmat."

Alanna squeaked in shock, tipping her head back to look into the scarred face. "Sarah? Haman's wife?" A finger at her lips admonished her for the noise, the look in the eyes bleak. She remembered his words: trust no-one else.

"Oh Xanir," she breathed. "Not even Haman?" She stretched up on tiptoe, pulling his head down so she could kiss him softly. He sighed, a sad half-smile curving against her lips.

"I cannot mistrust Haman." The voice was low, vehement, more emotional than she had ever heard. "But I cannot trust his household. And I cannot prevent him from being too trusting."

The regal head lifted, opaque eyes staring down into hers. "Do not you betray me, little one."

She hugged him tighter, kissing along the salty throat, as high as she could reach. "Who is being an idiot now?" she growled. Her arms were fierce, plastering her against him. "I'm so glad you came," her voice wobbled. "You thought that message was about me. You came to save me." Her heart was so full.

"You are mine," Xanir replied softly, sitting down on the edge of the fountain again and lifting her up onto his knee. "And precious to me. Now listen." He pulled his head back from her kisses, and gave her a light shake. "Officially, I am riding to Merind to subdue and try the lord Justin - enemies are like snakes - you cut off one tail and another grows. Until I can find the head, the less they know.."

Limaq reappeared before them, bowing deeply, hands at his chest half-concealing the dark stain on his tunic. Alanna swallowed and leaned into Xanir. "She hid in a nest by the wall; probably since the Tahl-Mat left his morning. It looks like it wasn't the first use of the hiding place." Xanir nodded. The guard bowed a second time, to Alanna. "The garden is clear now, my princess, and Zander guards the walls."

Alanna smiled faintly, relaxed against Xanir, feeling the renewed peace of the garden seep into her. "My princess," her husband murmured against her hair, shooting a half-challenging, half-amused look at the captain of her guard. "Dismissed. Thank-you."

She hid her smile in the hollow of his shoulder, kissing the naked skin, wrinkling her nose at the musky scent of hard-riding, desert dust and sweat.

"Don't complain, little bride," Xanir said. "You're safe."

"I'm always safe when you're here," she repeated, tightening her arms around him and tilting her face up for a kiss. "You just need to stop going away."

"We need to talk," Xanir replied, ignoring her second comment while he dropped a chaste kiss on her lips.

She pouted, wriggling a little against the hardness pressed against her buttock. "Later?"

Xanir smiled and tipped her off his knee onto the marble surround, lifting the sopping remains of his shirt from the pool and slapping it into her hand.

"I will sate you later, my princess, if you are good and listen first. Wash me."

Her head lifted, expression frustrated and she growled, "You made me promise not to touch myself last time, before you left. And since I don't have a damn travelling harem to -."

Xanir's eyes flashed and a finger at her lips silenced her. "You do not speak to me so."

Then his mouth twisted, expression softening. "They cannot ride at the pace needed to return here to secure your safety: fourteen days across the desert. It has been many years since I have abstained for so long and believe me, princess, I could lay you back now and ensure you are unable to walk by dawn." He smiled at the shudder that ran through her.

Alanna scowled when he continued to hold her squirming figure away from his hard form. "This is your fault too. If you hadn't taught me to long for your touch -," she complained. He shut her up with a kiss this time.

"First we must talk, I must explain the new suspicions and strands." His hands clamped over the small ones caressing his chest.

"Talk after," protested Alanna on a plaintive whisper. "I cannot think with you sitting here with your shirt off - not after waiting so long."

"No." The emperor spoke. "There are too many strands of this plot, and you must understand them, so that you can observe. And I have learned, too often, that interruptions can drag me away at any time."

His eyes burned into hers, and she drooped, stopping her struggle against the hands holding them apart. Like that had been getting her anywhere. She understood his argument but, "I can't . I can't think. You make my-." The complaint finished on a gasp and gurgle when her husband unceremoniously dumped her in the fountain.

A firm hand grasped her chin, and drew it above the surface, the other palm holding her torso under the water. Her buttocks were resting on the tiled base, limbs floating free, splashing in reflex and shivering at the sudden change in temperature. "Quiet. Are you ready to listen now?" Xanir asked her sternly.

"Yes," Alanna whispered, eyes wide in shock, held by his, the implacable look achingly familiar, and beloved. "Please let me out, Xanir."

"You will remain there for the length of time you wasted complaining. Now listen."

Alanna listened quietly, brain sharpening while he told her of their suspicions of two rival adversaries, each plotting to overthrow him and take power. One was centred in Siane, the plot that they had been aware of for years. The second was a new alliance that seemed to be based closer to home, but it was more sketchy and proving difficult to trace. All that they knew of it was what she had uncovered - Beguine, Rebeqa, and the high lords Faisal, Mika, and now Justin.

Xanir pulled her up onto his lap and wordlessly Alanna reached for his shirt, beginning to wash the dust from his powerful torso. "Maybe these two tonight were from the different factions - rivals," she murmured. Then, a small smile tugging at her lips, she leaned forwards and kissed his chest swiftly, unable to stop herself. "Oh why do I love you so much, you implacable dictator?"

Her husband smiled, unaccustomed warmth melting through him. "I will show you in a minute. But I must gag you first, or your cries will let the whole city know I am here."

12