Shadow Dagger Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jon turned toward the shadow. "There is a reason why we are reviled. The sooner you accept that reason the sooner you will appreciate what you have."

"I can't help but be what I was born," was the cool reply. "The sooner you stop struggling against that the sooner you will see the truth. And the truth is we don't care why we were hired. The feel of gold in my hand is truth enough for me."

Jon sighed. The world was changing again and he was always the fool who ran headlong into that storm. The world had abandoned him long ago. He had known for quite some time that he no longer fought for the same cause he used to. He just never wanted to admit it. It was time to abandon his fight for it. "What is the job?"

He could sense Sanje's smile. "The Magi's name is Ashford Caulston."

***

Sanje watched as Jon disappeared off the rooftop. He fought back the urge to fling his dagger at Jon's retreating back. He didn't of course. It would have been a futile and suicidal attempt. Still, it pleased him to picture the scene in his mind. Jon would just about to disappear from view when a powerful Shadow Dagger would tear through his spine. He would whirl around as he collapsed. His eyes would widen in shock as he spotted Sanje's smiling face...

"That man is too powerful," a voice whispered from behind him. Faster than a man could see, Sanje whirled around, his dagger out of its sheath and ready in his hand. He cursed aloud for getting lost in his thoughts or he would have felt the slight vibration of the blade that would tell him that a Magi is nearby.

Raynolt Teryus smirked as Sanje let out a steady stream of curses. Sanje sheathed his dagger, glad for the darkness of night that hid his blush of shame. Raynolt walked up to the edge of the rooftop and joined Sanje as they watched the retreating figure of Jon Laurent.

"As I was saying, that man is too powerful," Raynolt continued. "He is the most unpredictable player in this charade of ours. I think it's time for something to be done about it."

Sanje gritted his teeth. "Do you think I would stomach his constant insolence if I knew of a way to kill him?"

Raynolt didn't take offense to the underlying contempt in Sanje's voice. He put his hand to his chin in silent contemplation.

Damn that Jon Laurent! He always twists me up to where I can't concentrate properly. I need to have my full wits about me when dealing with this snake. What is he up to?

"Do you know how powerful his Shadow Dagger is?" Raynolt finally asked. He glanced over and frowned at the growl on Sanje's face. "I am not asking you about your damn secret of how those Shadow Daggers are made," he said coldy. "I want to know how powerful his dagger is."

Sanje couldn't help smiling slightly. Oh how that secret is a thorn in the side of the Magi. I love keeping those arrogant bastards in the dark. "Honestly, nobody knows. I know from experience that his dagger blocks 9th Tier spells. As for the 10th Tier..." Sanje shrugged his shoulders.

Raynolt hissed. "Who is that man?"

"I told you many times, he has been a member of Magi Victus for as long as our records go back. Unfortunately, whenever a new Master takes over the Guild, as I did 2 years ago, our records usually don't survive the purge." That wasn't the complete truth; no matter what deal Sanje had worked out with the Magi, he would never give them more information about the Magi Victus than was needed.

"Regardless," Raynolt continued, "I have arranged a little surprise for him at the house of Ashford Caulston. Once he completes his task, he will find 3 members of my Tier waiting in ambush."

Sanje was shocked. "3 members of the 10th Tier...but how?"

"Things are moving very quickly, my friend," Raynolt said, turning away from the edge of the roof. "The last murder has everyone divided. I have recruited more Magi to my cause. Many of them are ready to spill some blood. The time to move has finally arrived. Everything in Astuari is about to change. The Magi and the Magi Victus will have the respect we deserve. I have a very important matter to settle. Be prepared; this will be a bloody night to remember for all time."

***

Daminus knocked on the Archivist's door and waited. It was late at night and the man was probably asleep. But he would continue to pound on the door as long as it took until he answered it. Luckily, he was still awake and answered the door quickly.

"Daminus? What brings you to my door so late at night?" Edmund Defoure, the Emporium's long-tenured Archivist, looked down from his impressive height and surveyed Daminus with polite interest.

"I am so sorry to bother you this late at night, Master Defoure. I have come on an urgent business matter from the Grand Master."

"Please come in," Edmund motioned Daminus inside the room. "Would you care for some tea? I have just made a fresh pot."

"Yes, please," Daminus replied, figuring the Archivist would be easier to deal with if he wasn't hurried. He walked quickly across the impressive rugs that covered the floor and took a seat in front of Master Defoure's desk.

He looked around while Master Defoure walked out of the room to get the tea. The room was very cozy. There was a fire going in the fireplace. The walls were covered with rich tapestries of various important moments in the history of Astuari. Behind the desk were shelves of neatly stacked parchment. Daminus guessed that those would be the files of the Magi that he was looking for.

Master Defoure came back into the room carrying a tray. There was a steaming tea pot, two cups, and several tasty looking pastries. Daminus' stomach rumbled, despite the urgency he had felt since the morning's meeting with the Grand Master. He hadn't eaten all day.

Once the tea was handed out and Daminus wolfed down the first pastry, Master Defoure opened the conversation. "So tell me, Daminus, what urgent matter do you need assistance with?" He blew carefully on his tea and took a sip.

"I need to look at the files you have for the recently murdered Magi."

Master Defoure grimaced over his tea. "That is a terrible business, those murders. Raynolt has been hovering around lately, bothering me about joining his cause to eliminate the Magi Victus."

Daminus snorted. "He actually told me that he will be the next Grand Master. I would love to see the day we vote him in."

Master Defoure gave him a serious look. "Never underestimate Raynolt Teryus. He has made his reputation on people underestimating him. Besides, after this last murder, I couldn't quite argue with him. But not that I agree with him," he added hastily, spotting the look on Daminus' face. "I am sure you aren't here to discuss Raynolt or our issues with the Magi Victus. Let's get back to the matter at hand."

"I was wondering if I could take a look at anything you have on the murdered Magi."

"Do you believe there is a connection between the 3?" Master Defoure asked.

He is very perceptive. I have to be careful... "No, not really. I am just trying to piece together what the Magi Victus are doing. I am sure it will probably turn it to be some petty nobleman who arranged the murders."

"Hmmm, I doubt it. It had to be someone who knew them. After all, they were inseparable as children."

"What do you mean?" Daminus asked quickly. He could feel his pulse racing.

"I was in charge of the Youth Hall back when they were growing up. Braxus, Christiana, and Altus were all of the same age, did you know? I remember them clearly. They were a good bunch of children. I never really had any problem with them. It was sad to watch them drift apart as they got older. I am probably the only Magi old enough to remember that they were a close group once."

Daminus' brain was kicking into overdrive as he sorted through all the new information. "Why were they so memorable?"

Master Defoure frowned. "Why, because they were all friends with Prince Reynar, who went on to become the greatest King that Astuari has even known."

Daminus felt a weight drop down his stomach. How could I have been so stupid? After all the stories Braxus used to tell, I should have known! This plot somehow ties directly with the King!

Daminus sank bank into his chair. Whatever the plot involves, it may already be too late. "And now they are all dead, except the King."

Master Defoure nodded his head sadly. "I couldn't quite believe it when I heard Braxus was murdered. The first two I could dismiss as coincidence and probabilities; but now Braxus? I was going to visit the Grand Master tomorrow about these murders. I shudder to think how Ashford will react when he hears the news."

Daminus blinked. "What was that?"

Master Defoure's eyebrows rose up his ebony face in confusion. "Which part?"

"You said something about Ashford? Do you mean Ashford Caulston?"

"Yes, yes, of course. He was the last member of that little gang of theirs. He is out of the country right now. I don't know if he has heard any word about what happened. I think he was sent as an ambassador to the desert tribes. Regardless, word should be sent to him soon."

Daminus stared in horror at the ancient Archivist. "Ashford is of the 9th Tier. He reported to me yesterday morning. He is back in Astuari." He didn't wait for another word. He bolted out of his chair so fast that Master Defoure screamed in shock and spilt his hot tea over his chest.

"Wait, Daminus! What has-" Daminus didn't hear what else he had to say as he hurried down the corridor. I have to get to Ashford's home before it's too late!

***

Evelyn shifted uncomfortably in the chair across from the Grand Master. Poor Boltus was not looking very good. He had heavy bags under his eyes and he looked ready to greet The God here soon if he didn't get some sleep.

"I must be getting old, to not have seen the connection," he groaned into his hands. "I remember hearing about the great potential of a particular group of children. To not have made the connection..."

Evelyn shifted uncomfortably again. She was not use to seeing the Grand Master look so...human. She knew he was getting up there in age but to see him so overburdened with the responsibility of his office made her reach out her hand and grab his. She squeezed it reassuringly. "It is no fault for a leader to delegate some of the heavy thinking to his trusted companions. You can't run your office and think of every little plot going on in these halls. You would go mad."

Boltus looked up and smiled a weakly. "You are a great Magi, Evelyn. Thank you."

Evelyn felt herself blush and coughed to cover it up. "Yes, well...that is kind of you to say. I have to remind you, however, that I am only a Magi of the 5th Tier."

Boltus waved his hand. "Nonsense. Too many Magi nowadays are putting too much stock in Tiers. I have personally seen you cast a 10th Tier protection spell. I have seen 8th Tier Magi who couldn't cast a 5th Tier protection spell to save their lives. I would put my life in your hands and that is the best compliment I can give any Magi."

Evelyn couldn't cough long enough to hide the blush she felt now. "Thank you so much for those kind words, Grand Master. But back to our problem...do you know what that connection means?"

"I have been thinking-" Boltus began, but then stood up so fast that it made Evelyn dizzy. Another Magi had just barged into the room, slamming the door into the wall in his haste to see the Grand Master.

"Edmund, what is it?" he asked the Magi who stood huffing and puffing in the doorway. Evelyn turned to examine the Archivist. The poor old man was red in the face and was trying hard to regain his breath. Whatever he had to say was very important; what else would cause an old man to come running in the middle of the night?

"Grand Master...Daminus...he...he."

Evelyn was up and out of her chair. She grabbed Master Defoure by the arm to help steady him. "What is it? What has happened to Daminus?"

"I think he ran off to save Ashford Caulston! I was too slow to see the connection! I am sorry Grand Master."

"Of course," the Grand Master whispered.

Evelyn looked to the Archivist and the Grand Master in annoyance. "Will anyone care to explain to me what in the nine hells is going on?"

The Grand Master turned to look at her. His eyes were glowing silver. All traces of exhaustion had left his face. His very presence was ancient power. "Your husband's life is in danger," he said.

Evelyn felt her body go cold. Hold on Daminus! I am coming for you!

Evelyn whirled around to leave and barely had time to throw her hands up over her eyes before a huge flash of fire filled the room. When her sight returned she stared in horror at the smoking ruin that once was Edmund Defoure. A powerful blast had blown him halfway across the room. His back was a charred ruin. Curls of flame continued lick his back. The smell of burnt flesh filled Evelyn's nostrils.

"Raynolt," the Grand Master hissed. Evelyn tore her gaze away from the body and received another shock. Raynolt Teryus stood in the ruin of the doorway. His eyes glowed silver and intricate runes covered his body. His hand was still extended in the throwing motion of the fireball. He was smiling.

"Good evening, Grand Master," he whispered. He glanced at Evelyn. "My dear Evelyn, I must say I was surprised to find you and Master Defoure here at this hour. I am terribly sorry, but you are in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"Curse you to the nine hells, you traitor," she replied with a snarl.

The Grand Master stepped in front of Evelyn. "Stay behind me," he ordered.

"At last..." Raynolt breathed. His eyes were shining with eagerness. "I only wish the entire Guild was here to witness my destruction of you."

Raynolt raised his hand and the battle commenced.

***

Jon Laurent stood on top of a roof and examined the small house across the street. There was a fire burning in the living room. The mage was home, he could feel it. He crouched down and watched intently as a man hurried down the street. Jon could feel his dagger tingle from sheath on his belt.

A mage huh? And a pretty powerful one if I could feel the resonance from up here. I don't know what game I am involved in, but I can feel the knife at my back.

Jon watched as the man pounded on the front door. A few seconds passed and the door opened. The man hurried inside as the door swung shut behind him. Jon grimaced. It looked like tonight would be a unlucky night for him.

I know Ashford didn't have the time to call for reinforcements. The notice on his head just went out. I hate coincidences. That other mage will put up a fight. The contract only calls for Ashford's head.

Jon spent several minutes contemplating his next move. He slid the Shadow Dagger from its sheath. He could feel the blade vibrating slightly. There were two powerful mages not far from him. It has been a while since I had a challenge...

Smiling, Jon slipped off the roof and made his way toward the house.