Shadow Dagger Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He glanced awkwardly at Sophina and then looked down at his feet. Sophina felt her anger slip away again, to be replaced by resignation. "For the God's sake Ashford, what is it?"

Ashford slowly looked up at her. "I just thought maybe you would want to talk."

Sophina looked away. "Talk about what? How Jon sacrificed my future for some stupid test?"

She turned her head back and saw Ashford staring at her, shocked. "Stole your future?"

Sophina's anger came flooding back. Would her anger forever ebb and flow? "Yes, you fool! Don't pretend you don't see the shriveled form before you! Damn you and Jon to the nine hells! I was a soldier! What am I now? What?"

Sophina blinked back tears. She was ashamed to see Ashford look helpless and terrified as she berated him for something that wasn't his fault. He took a step toward her. "Sophina, your future isn't ruined."

Sophina wiped her eyes with her sleeve. "What are you blabbering about?"

He stared at her, confused. "Didn't Jon tell you what happened?"

Sophina looked down at the floor, guiltily. "I...may not have given him the chance."

Ashford smiled and shook his head. Despite her best efforts, a small seed of hope bloomed in her chest. "Sophina, magic doesn't heal you. Jon used magic to command your mind to heal itself. He forced your mind to overcome the instinct of preservation. So your mind took every last reserve that had built up in your body over your entire life to heal your wounds. It took every piece of fat it could and still keep you alive."

Sophina looked down at the bones protruding from the back of her hands. "That's why I am so shriveled?"

Ashford nodded. "You have absolutely no excess fat on you. And it still was almost not enough. You barely pulled through. I thought you were dead for sure. I have never seen a Magi so thoroughly command another's mind."

Sophina stared at him uncomprehendingly. "Are you saying...I will return to normal?"

"Yes. Jon has already picked up extra food. We are going to fatten you up in no time."

Ashford jumped back in surprise as Sophina sprang at him. But she barely managed to cling to his tunic before collapsing against him, sobbing her heart out. She had never been so relieved in all her life.

Ashford patted her awkwardly on the head. "There, there, it's ok. You will be back to bashing skulls in before you know it."

Sophina laughed into his tunic. His comment really wasn't that funny; she just wanted to laugh for the pleasure of it. She was going to be ok! She would hold her sword again and die with honor. Her life wasn't wasted.

She stepped back and dried her eyes. But she couldn't stop smiling. "Thank you, Ashford. I feel embarrassed now that I let my shock take control of my senses. I hope you don't think I am vain."

He shook his head. "No, of course not. I know how much being a soldier means to you. I wouldn't want that to ever be taken from you, just as I would never want my magic taken from me."

"You're a good man. I'm glad to have your company."

He blushed and then turned his head and coughed. "Yes, well...I'm glad to have met you, Sophina. Now come, let's go see Evelyn. Jon dyed her head blonde and cut it short; probably as tribute to you."

She laughed. "I have to see this! Is she...feeling better?"

Ashford opened the door to let Sophina pass. He shook his head as she walked by. "I'm afraid there is no change."

Oh my love, I hope there is hope for you yet. If there is anyway to help you, I will find it.

Ashford led her to the living room and then stopped. He turned his head left and right. "Is something wrong?" Sophina asked.

Ashford turned to look at her. His eyes were wide and his face was white as a sheet. Sophina felt her heart lurch in her chest. "What is it Ashford? What?"

"Evelyn...I...I left her sitting right here when I went to talk to you!"

Sophina glanced back behind her. "Maybe she wandered to Jon's room."

"No, Jon locked his door before he left to do some scouting. Sophina, look..." Ashford pointed toward the fall wall.

On the floor, next to the stairs leading out, was an overturned vase. Sophina looked at Ashford. "You're not thinking..."

Ashford swallowed and nodded his head. "Yes I am. Evelyn is gone."

***

Note: I have decided I would offer everyone a teaser for the next chapter since you must wait a whole week between postings. Before I give you the teaser for next chapter, I am going to go ahead and tease you about chapter 10 as well, to build the anticaption. I fully intend for chapter 10 to be a landmark chapter for me and my skills as a writer.

Chapter 9: The return of a major character

Chapter 10: I am calling this chapter the "Mega" chapter. There will be so much happening that you better bring muscle relaxers to read it!