Shadow Dagger Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He knew he made a mistake as soon as he cast a spell and pushed the crowd away from him. People collapsed onto each other and were thrown across the road. A clear space had developed around Ashford. He cursed himself for drawing attention.

Three Magi Victus suddenly appeared in front of him. Ashford sighed. He was a dead man.

***

Evelyn's mind was floating in a sea of hatred. Sophina kept a firm hand on her to keep her from bolting up the podium to tear out Raynolt's insides. Evelyn had never felt so murderous in her life.

Raynolt's smugness as he was sworn in as Grand Master was beyond tolerable. If the God were just, Raynolt's ashes would have already been cast into the air. But instead, the God saw fit to take her Daminus from her.

So be it; she didn't need the God or anybody else. She had her own power. She could feel it running through her body. Ever since she woke up, her magic had felt different. She knew spells now that she was certain she never knew before. She could cast spells she would have never imagine casting in her wildest daydreams. She was beyond 10th Tier now. She didn't know why or how but she knew it.

Reynar was nearly done with the oaths. Sophina leaned in close to whisper over the roar of the crowd. "Remember, we do nothing unless Jon fails. We don't want to draw attention to ourselves."

Evelyn ignored her. She never had any attention of abiding by Jon's plans. Vengeance was hers and hers alone. She stood up and shook off Sophina's hand. She tore off her mask and flung it aside. Magic filled her and made her giddy as the sweetness of it flooded her veins. A spell formed in her mind and she had no idea what it was. She didn't care. Raynolt was going to die.

She had waited too long. Raynolt rose from his knees and was instantly consumed in a gigantic fireball that shot twenty feet into the air. The crowd roared in pleasure. Evelyn hissed in anger.

Then the miracle happened; Raynolt was still alive. He was protected by a shield spell she had never seen before. She smiled and prepared her spell again. She saw the gaps, just like Jon had said. Somehow, she knew how to shape her spell to fill the gaps. She pointed her hand at Raynolt when Safra Howe suddenly jerked.

Evelyn blinked and shook her head. Something was wrong with her. Her fellow Magi were about to die and all she cared about was killing Raynolt. Safra convulsed and dropped to the ground. Evelyn felt anguish squeeze her heart; if she hadn't been too focused on killing Raynolt she might have been able to see the Magi Victus enter the protective circle of Magi and guards.

The crowd screamed and began to panic. Sophina jumped up and drew her sword. The people around them began pushing them as they attempted to flee. "Evelyn!" Sophina screamed as she was pushed by the rush of bodies, her mask flying off and shattering under the feet of the crowd.

Evelyn reached out and grasped her fingertips. The crowd pushed them apart as they attempted to run in all directions. She screamed as she saw Sophina disappear in a flood of bodies. Evelyn was on the wrong side of the crowd; they pushed her in the other direction.

Evelyn stumbled as she was pushed and prodded. Several bodies were already underfoot, trampled to death. She felt a spell form in her mind. Unthinking, she quickly cast it. A ball of whirling air surrounded her and violently flung people away. The spell opened a path before her. She gasped as she saw Ashford surrounded by three Magi Victus. The crowd surged around them, giving them a wide space.

"Curse you!" Evelyn screamed and flung her ball of air straight at them. The whirling vortex quickly enveloped the three Magi Victus. Ashford flung his arm across his face but was untouched by the whirlwind.

The ball spun faster and faster. Evelyn was horrified to see streaks of blood in the whirling ball. She tried to release the spell but it had a life of its own. It spun so fast it made her eyes water to watch it. Finally, it exploded with the sound of thunder. Blood and bones were flung across the crowd. Evelyn dropped to her knees and vomited.

What have I done? Not even Magi Victus deserve to die like that! Her magic suddenly drained from her. She felt very tired and weak.What is wrong with me?

"Evelyn?" Ashford asked, squatting down next to her and pulling on her arm. He helped her stand up and held onto her until she found her balance.

"Thanks," she whispered hoarsely.

Ashford looked around. The crowd was still fighting to escape but nobody was around them, as they wanted no part of what they were doing. The podium was surrounded by a wall of people fighting in small groups. Guards swung their swords and Magi hurled spells. Plain-clothed Magi Victus darted in and out of sight as they took the fight to the guards and Magi.

"Where's Sophina?" Ashford asked suddenly.

"Damn!" Evelyn cried. She grabbed Ashford's arm and pulled him back toward the stone benches where she last saw Sophina. She would never figure herself if anything happened to her.

There were several trampled bodies but no sign of Sophina. "Sophina!" Ashford cried, but the noise of fighting was too great.

"I don't see Raynolt, either," Evelyn said, scanning the mass of bodies on the podium.

"Do you think Sophina is up there?" Ashford asked fearfully.

Evelyn swore under her breath. It was looking like suicide to go in there but they had no choice. She would not abandon Sophina. "Let's find out," Evelyn said, squaring her shoulders.

She opened herself to her magic and felt even wearier. The whirlwind spell must have really taken it out of her. She took a deep breath and formed a lightning spell in her mind. Once again, it was more advanced than she was usually capable of.

Ashford stuck close to her as they crept up on the chaos of the podium. A Magi Victus pulled his dagger from the body of a Magi and turned at their approach. He instantly disappeared. At least, he tried to. Evelyn followed his movements with surprise. Why was he running at them so slow?

She risked a quick sideways glance at Ashford. She felt shock hit her like a thunderclap. Ashford's movements were greatly exaggerated. She could see his eyelids blinking very slowly. His facial features twitched and changed at an impossibly slow speed.

Still stunned with shock, Evelyn glanced back at the Magi Victus. He was almost upon them and moving faster than Ashford. Evelyn's mind seemed to click as she realized the truth. The Magi Victus and Ashford weren't moving slowly.

Evelyn's mind was processing everything at an incredible speed.

She almost laughed aloud as she released her lightning bolt at the Magi Victus. It struck him square in the chest. Time lurched back into its proper place as the Magi Victus was hurled across the Courtyard with a smoking hole in his chest.

"What just happened?" Ashford asked.

"I don't know," Evelyn lied. "Let's just hurry."

They moved closer to the destruction of what used to be the podium. Great chunks of marble lay strewn across the ground. Dozens of bodies were scattered everywhere. Blood soaked the stone floor and pooled under bodies. Magi were huddled together on what remained of the podium as their shields flared whenever a Magi Victus would streak by. They shot fireballs and lightning bolts randomly, never once hitting a Magi Victus. The guards swung their swords at empty air as they sought to protect the Magi.

Evelyn focused and tried to see the movements of the Magi Victus again. All she accomplished was a pounding headache.

"I don't know what we can do, Ashford!" Evelyn shouted over the noise of battle. Ashford looked just as lost as her.

"Ashford Caulston?" a voice hissed from behind.

Evelyn whirled around. There was nobody there. She looked back at the podium. The Magi looked confused as the attacks stopped. Evelyn glanced around nervously. Something felt wrong.

"Evelyn--" Ashford began worriedly, but then stopped as a group of five Magi Victus suddenly surrounded them.

"Help!" Evelyn shouted at the remaining Magi. They stared at her with round, fearful eyes. Even the guards looked away guiltily.

"We've been looking for you two," one of the Magi Victus said. "We will make this offer only once; surrender and we will spare your lives."

Ashford inched closer to Evelyn. He looked scared but his face was firm and resolute. Evelyn knew he wouldn't surrender. She briefly considered it. It might give her a chance of avenging Daminus if she could live long enough to escape and kill Raynolt.

But the thought of Daminus made her think of their time together during the War of the Desert. Daminus had been a fiercely proud warrior. She knew what he would do. With a grim smile, she turned to face the Magi Victus who had spoken.

"We return the offer to you; surrender now and you will live to see another day."

The Magi Victus' eyes widened in outrage. All five of them brought up their Shadow Daggers in a fighting stance. They disappeared. This time, Evelyn was not saved by a sudden transformation of magic. She was too exhausted to even cast a simple shield spell. In one heartbeat, it was over.

Three of the Magi Victus had targeted her. The other two went after Ashford. This knowledge registered in her brain as she looked at the Magi Victus surrounding them. They had their daggers outstretched, each one going after a vital organ.

She knew all of this because they were frozen in place, blades barely an inch from her skin.

Evelyn didn't hear a single sound around her. It had fallen eerily silent. She turned her head back toward the podium. A tall man was walking toward her, dressed in a black, shimmering cloth. His eyes glowed silver and his face was livid with rage.

"YOU!" he said, waving his hand angrily. The head of a Magi Victus exploded like a watermelon.

"WILL!" He waved his hand again and one of the Magi Victus crumbled to the ground with a sickening crunch, as though all his bones had been shattered.

"NEVER!" The next Magi Victus exploded like a firecracker. Blood and guts washed over the ground like a flood.

"TOUCH!" The fourth Magi Victus swelled like a balloon. He didn't explode like Evelyn expected. He was squeezed to death as all of his organs pushed their way out of his skin and onto the ground.

"THEM!" Reynar roared with an anger Evelyn had never witnessed. The last Magi Victus had fire erupt from every inch of skin. Evelyn had never seen such power before.

"Reynar," Ashford said wonderingly. He stared at him in awe.

Reynar let out a breath and released his magic. His anger slowly faded and he smiled wearily at Ashford as he walked up to him. "It's good to see you my friend," he said, gripping his shoulder.

Ashford blinked away tears as he threw back his head and laughed. "Damn you to the nine hells, Reynar! Where did you learn that magic?"

"Later," he promised, giving his shoulder another squeeze. He turned his penetrating gaze on Evelyn. "You must be Evelyn Ventus," he said, with an intensity that scared her.

Why is he looking at me like that? "King Reynar...I don't know how to thank you."

He kept his intense gaze on her for several moments before replying. "No thanks is needed, Evelyn. I'm just glad you two are ok. But I must say I am a little surprised to find you two out here, given the...circumstances."

Ashford cut in before she could respond. "We came here to kill Raynolt. With him dead, the threat to you would be lifted."

Reynar turned his gaze toward Ashford. Ashford took a step back at the look in Reynar's eyes. "Do I look like I need help?" he snapped.

Ashford blinked. "Reynar...what...what in the nine hells is going on?"

Reynar looked away and examined the bodies on the ground. "This isn't the best place to talk. The fighting is still going on in the city. Let's go back to my palace."

Evelyn looked at Ashford. His face was pale and he looked at his friend as though he had never seen him before. "That's a kind offer but I'm afraid we have somewhere else to be," Evelyn said cautiously.

Reynar gave her a hard look. "Not anymore."

Ashford stepped toward him. "Reynar, what is going on? We came out here to save you from Raynolt only to discover you know powerful magic."

Several of the Magi behind Reynar whispered amongst themselves, no doubt discussing Ashford's accusation that Raynolt was trying to kill the King.

"Raynolt is none of your concern," he said, his voice making the words final.

Something clicked inside Evelyn's mind. "Powerful magic...the shield that protected Raynolt earlier...that was yours, wasn't it?"

Reynar's gaze seemed to bore through her skull. The man radiated power. He lowered his voice, so that only Evelyn and Ashford could hear. "Raynolt serves a purpose. I need him...for now."

Ashford opened his mouth angrily. "Reynar, I can't believe that--" He cut off as his body jerked up into the air, held by runes of binding. Reynar turned silver-filled eyes toward him. "I may be your friend but you must never forget who you are talking to! I am your King! You will remember you place!"

Ashford spat down at him. "Damn you and your secrets, Reynar! We always knew you hid stuff from us but we overlooked it because we loved you! And now they're all dead because of you!"

Evelyn instantly knew it was the wrong thing to say. She tried to grab Reynar's arm but she was already too late. Reynar growled savagely and hurled Ashford across the Courtyard. His body flew through the air dangerously fast and smacked hard against the wall of a building. He fell to the ground, motionless.

"You don't think I know that their deaths are on my hands?" Reynar roared, throwing off Evelyn's feeble grip and walking toward Ashford's limp body.

He his hands gestured and Ashford stood up on invisible strings. Evelyn tried desperately to draw her magic but she was just too exhausted to hold on to it. She picked up a rock from the ground and hurled it at Reynar. His shield flared and the rock turned to dust. He didn't even notice it. The Magi and guards shifted but didn't move. They probably weren't certain of what was going on.

Reynar stretched out his hand toward Ashford. "I don't even need your pathetic shield anymore. Jon Laurent is captured, as we speak. My last threat has been removed."

Ashford suddenly fell to the ground. Reynar stopped walking. Evelyn could see shock on his face. She turned her gaze back to Ashford.

Sophina stood in front of him, her sword out in front of her. Blood caked her face but she stared firmly at Reynar. The sword was ablaze with runes. Evelyn could feel the power from it from where she stood. It practically hummed with power.

"One more step and I will run you through," she said, pointing the sword at Reynar.

***

Sophina had never felt so helpless in her entire life when the rush of the crowd carried her away from Evelyn. The sheer terror of the people fleeing angered Sophina. She had never seen such cowardice in her life. They were like mindless animals as they pushed and shoved, desperate to escape the carnage.

"Evelyn!" she called, but didn't know what good it would do. She fought against the tide of people as best as she could but was she pushed, yanked, and barreled aside. She tangled her feet with somebody and was shoved to the ground. She covered her face as she was battered by the uncaring rush of the crowd.

A boot crunched into her nose, spraying blood over her face. She bit her lip and continued to roll out of the way. She was fortunate to have been at the edge of the crowd; she rolled only a couple of feet before hitting the edge of a building. It left her just enough room to stand up. She pushed people away angrily as she caught her breath. Her whole body felt like it was bruised. Her nose continued to pour hot, sticky blood down her face.

Sophina gritted her teeth and did was she had to do. She wasn't going to fail her promise to Jon. She would protect Evelyn or die trying. So she unsheathed her sword and waded back into the crowd, swinging widely. She winced every time her sword bit into flesh. She left agonized screams behind her as she began her pushing her way back toward the podium.

Soon enough people got out of the way of her sword. She stopped her wild swinging and had enough room to jog. The last of the crowd passed her by as she came back to the center of the Courtyard. What she saw chilled her heart.

Evelyn, please be alive! Dozens of bodies lay scattered throughout the Courtyard. Countless small groups of battle raged on around her. She saw at least two Magi and several guards in each group. They were fighting ghosts as far as she was concerned; the Magi Victus moved too fast.

The battle was especially fierce on top of the podium. She thought she saw Raynolt and a female Magi dart away into a nearby alley, but she couldn't be sure. She was too busy searching the battle for any sign of Evelyn. She circled wide around the podium and still couldn't find any sign of Evelyn.

She looked away from the podium and across the Courtyard when she heard a loud commotion. There was a large group of people standing by a pile of bodies. Sophina squinted; it looked like King Reynar was talking to...Evelyn!

She appeared to be safe. She also appeared to be standing next to Ashford.So everyone is safe...but what about Jon? Where is he? Sophina scanned the nearby rooftops but saw no sign of movement. Her attention was drawn back to Evelyn as a sudden commotion broke out.

She gasped when she saw Ashford picked up into the air and dashed against the side of a building. Sophina howled in rage and sprinted across the Courtyard. She jumped over bodies and large pools of blood. The sword in her hand began to vibrate and the runes began to glow as she neared King Reynar.

She saw him gesture with his hand right before she arrived. She didn't even hesitate; she jumped in front of Ashford, bringing her sword down in a slashing motion. She felt her sword sing inside of her as it cut through the magic that bound Ashford. The runes blazed brighter.

The King stared at her, shocked. She pointed her sword at him, her blood boiling with rage.What the hell is going on? "One more step and I will run you through," she warned him. At the moment, she didn't care who he was.

He said nothing, but continued to stare at her in disbelief. Never taking her eyes off of him, she knelt down and shook Ashford's shoulder. He moaned but didn't wake.Well, at least he is still alive. But for how long? His body has to be broken.

"What is the meaning of this?" Sophina asked, shooting a glance at Evelyn.

Evelyn hung her head. "I'm sorry," she mumbled. "I couldn't stop him."

"Where did you get that sword?" King Reynar asked in a voice of command.

Sophina's smile showed him all of her teeth. "Why don't you come closer and I will tell you."

Reynar's face hardened. "You want to do this the hard way? Fine. Guards, take her."

Sophina didn't even give them a chance. The King's personal guards stepped around him but were instantly met by Sophina's sword. She darted in and stabbed the first guard in the armpit before he even had a chance to pull his sword. He howled and dropped to the ground. The next two guards attacked her simultaneously. She watched their movements as she countered every strike. Her sword was a blur in the air and it hummed with its magic.

She struck the chest-plate of one guard just to push him back. At least, that was her intention. She never expected her sword to slice through the armor as though it were cloth. The runes flashed as the sword split him open from shoulder to waist, the armor falling into two pieces next to him.

The rest of the guards stopped and stared at her. She was easily outnumbered but she had never felt so alive. Jon's training was paying off.