Shadow Dagger Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Evelyn glanced up at him once as they made their way to the central podium. He was smiling but Evelyn could definitely see the strain in his eyes this time. Could it be possible that he was as in much doubt of this marriage as she was?

The poor man never asked for this, Evelyn. He's just doing what's right. Daminus would understand. You know this. Let it go, Evelyn. Just let it go.

Evelyn's stomach stopped churning. Her hand stopped shaking. She looked up at him with clear, calm eyes.

"Reynar," she whispered.

He heard her. "Yes?" he whispered back.

"It's ok," she said. She willed her strength into her voice and into her eyes as she looked deep into his. "It's ok."

He was so shocked that he almost stopped walking. His eyes searched hers desperately. She stared back, unblinking. His face sagged in relief. The tension left his shoulders. For the first time that day, he truly smiled at her.

"Thank you," he said, his voice hoarse with some unknown emotion.

They had arrived at the podium. They climbed the short steps, Evelyn doing so very carefully. It wouldn't make a good impression to trip over her own dress.

Once she was standing in the center of the podium, her servants set down her train and withdrew.

The High Priest of Astuari stood before them. The man was old, his face lined and his head bald. He wore simple robes of molten gold and no jewelry. The priests of the Temple of Astuari owned no possessions, save the clothes on their backs and their holy books.

The Magi council were arrayed in a line at the back of the podium. Raynolt stood slightly out in front. His eyes found hers and he winked, a smug smile plastering his face.

Evelyn didn't want to know what that look meant. Besides, she didn't want to think about him right now. The murderous impulse still beat loudly in her heart.

The High Priest raised his arms for silence. The chattering crowd quickly quieted. Evelyn looked out over the crowd. She saw little girls sitting on top of their father's shoulders.

The more Evelyn looked, the more women she saw in attendance. Every single one of them were staring at her, their eyes filled with adoration. Evelyn looked away.

"My good people of Astuari," the priest began, "we are gathered here today to bare witness to the crowning of a new queen, as King Reynar Lobare takes the Magi Evelyn Ventus' hand in marriage."

"Let us bow our heads and give thanks to the God for this wondrous day. Let us ask Him to bless this marriage so that it may be fruitful."

"Let us ask Him to give his appointed King and Queen wisdom, so that they made guide us through troubled times."

Only the wind could be heard as it rustled the trees. Every head was bowed for a long minute. Evelyn herself prayed for the strength that would be needed in the years to come. She prayed that her child be born healthy and know only peace.

"Bless us," the priest said, and the spell was broken. "King Reynar, if you would please turn and take Evelyn's hands into your own."

Reynar turned sideways to the crowd and Evelyn did the same. She placed her hands in his. They were rough from hard use but were very gentle. Evelyn's hands were still. There was no more doubt in her heart.

The priest turned toward her. "Evelyn Ventus, please answer each question I ask you and remember that your answers are promises made directly to the God."

Evelyn nodded. The priest continued, his voice booming. "Evelyn Ventus, do you swear to uphold the laws of Astuari, to follow them precisely as you help govern this country?"

"I do," Evelyn said clearly.

"Do you swear, in the name of the God, to take King Reynar Lobare as your husband?"

"I do."

"Do you swear to obey only the commands of the King, who is the appointed heir chosen by the God?"

"I do."

"Do you swear to be faithful only to your husband?"

"I do." Her hand twitched in his. Reynar squeezed it reassuringly. She tried her best to not think about Daminus.

"Do you swear, by your duties as Queen, to be loyal only to the throne of Astuari?"

"I do."

"The God has heard your answers, Evelyn Ventus, and has heard them to be true. They are now bound, without end, to your immortal soul." He smiled kindly at her and turned to face Reynar. The crowd roared it's approval.

"King Reynar Lobare, as heir to the throne of Roshard Ronar, do you wish this woman, Evelyn Ventus, to be your wife, to rule by your side as Queen of Astuari, and to bear the next heir to the throne?"

Evelyn let out a relieved breath as her part was over. Her eyes traveled over the crowd as she let the priest's words wash over her.

It should have been impossible, of course, to spot her in this crowd. But something had drawn her eyes to that very spot.

Maybe it was the hood. It was a very warm summer's day to wear a cloak. Or maybe it was the color, blue, the same as Daminus' eyes. For whatever reason, her eyes were drawn to that spot.

"Do you swear to be faithful only to your wife?"

The person wearing the hood raised their hand's and slowly lowered the hood.

"Do you swear to help guide her, that she may rule wisely by your side?"

The hood fell down to her shoulders. Evelyn knew, even from this distance, that it was Sophina. She could see the hair that was longer than it normally was, how it was dyed black.

Evelyn's own hair was blonde and cut short, just as Sophina's had been. Just like the woman who had saved her life.

"Do you swear to relinquish the throne to her, in the event that you should pass before her?"

Sophina's eyes glistened with tears. They rolled down her cheeks. Evelyn felt her heart flutter in her chest. She deserved better than the parting they had shared that day, right here in the courtyard.

The hood came back up and Sophina disappeared quickly into the crowd. A man next to her ran after her.

"The God has heard your answers, Reynar Lobare, and has heard them to be true. They are now bound, without end, to your immortal soul."

The priest turned toward her. Evelyn blinked. He smiled patiently as Evelyn suddenly remembered what she had to do.

I'm sorry, Sophina. I hope to see you again. I owe you that much.

Evelyn slowly knelt on the ground, careful not to rip her dress. The priest turned to the side as a servant walked up, holding a cushion with a gold tiara on top.

The priest picked it up gently and raised it above his head. The sun gleamed off the numerous jewels that decorated it. She heard a collective sigh of admiration from the crowd.

"By the authority given to me by the God and the crown, I now name thee Queen Evelyn Ventus, Protector and Mother of Astuari."

He lowered the tiara and placed it gently on top of her head.

The crowd roared so loudly that the ground shook. Hundreds of instruments suddenly burst into life. Reynar reached down and helped Evelyn to her feet.

His hands slid around her waist and Evelyn's arms automatically entwined around his shoulders.

Reynar bent down and kissed her.

*

Note: Chapter 17 - Evelyn struggles to consumate the marriage, Jon leads his army into battle, and Raynolt hatches a plan.

Sidenote: I want to thank everyone for their kind words and for the great feeback I get. I just have one, little tiny request, if everyone would be so kind. Can you please vote on the chapter? I don't care what score you give me but I want to try to get at least 100 votes per chapter so it can be ranked on the top lists. Go back and vote for any chapters you might have missed! Thanks!