Shadow Dagger Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jon gently pried Sophina from his arms and stepped up close to Raynolt. "If you think to betray me, then think again. You will beg for death before I'm through with you."

Raynolt tried to sneer but it only came out as a frightened grimace. "I will do my part," he snapped.

Jon nodded and walked over to his horse. He dug around in his saddlebags and took out the book he had written while riding through the desert.

"Here," Jon said, handing the book to Raynolt. "The secrets of my magic."

"And the Shadow Dagger?" Raynolt asked eagerly as he snatched the book from Jon.

"Everything," Jon promised. "We attack at dawn."

"I'll be there," Raynolt said absently, as he stared down in awe at the book in his hands.

Jon walked back toward Sophina. "Was that wise?" Sophina asked quietly.

"He won't get much from it," Jon whispered back. "The magic is too advanced for him and the secrets of the Shadow Dagger don't concern him. We got the better of this deal, believe me."

"Still, I don't trust him," Sophina said slowly.

"I don't either," Sanje said, stepping up to Jon.

Jon turned and stared at the Master Victus. He knew it would eventually come to this. "Thank you for your help at the gate," Jon said. "And for everything else you have done for Sophina."

"I didn't do it for her," he replied coldly. "You and I need to talk. I made a promise."

"Later," Jon promised. "There's a lot we need to do."

"Midnight," Sanje said, turning away. "At our usual spot."

"What was that about?" Sophina asked.

Jon shook his head. "Let's not worry about that right now."

"Sophina!" a happy voice roared.

Sophina groaned as Peron came jogging over to them. She gasped in surprise when he bent down and picked her up in his arms and swung her around. "I'm so glad to see you alive!"

"Um... me too," Sophina gasped, as he finally set her down. "I suppose you already met Jon?"

Peron nodded. "We met outside the gates. We didn't have to do much fighting there but I look forward to the dawn. I would be honored to fight by your side."

Jon grasped the man's forearm. "I would, too. Have the men given you any trouble?"

Peron smiled and shook his head. "No, surprisingly. I guess the betrayal at Oasis has changed their minds about a lot of things. They welcomed me back as their Chieftain. That is, if you're really sure you want to give up the title?"

"I don't need it anymore," Jon replied. "You're the true Chieftain. Lead them well tomorrow."

Peron hesitated before turning away. "These men follow me, Jon Laurent, but they want blood. And our entire army is marching here. I don't know if they will be satisfied with just Reynar's head."

"We will cross that bridge when we get there," Jon said. "You know your role tomorrow?"

Peron pounded his chest in pride. "We will whip these so-called soldiers of yours and keep their attention so you can slip around them. Don't worry about us."

"Thank you," Jon said, gripping Peron's shoulder. "I owe you much."

Peron smiled. "I love the fight, Jon Laurent. You don't owe me anything else. Although..."

"Yes?" Jon asked hesitantly.

Peron rubbed his chin and looked down at Sophina. "A man fights better when he has a woman the night before. If Sophina would be willing..."

"I don't think so!" Sophina snarled.

"Well..." Jon said.

"Jon!" Sophina gasped. She elbowed him in the ribs. Jon groaned.

Peron threw back his head and laughed. "The God be with you, Jon Laurent! But I don't think even he can handle her!"

Peron continued to laugh as he turned away but Sophina stopped him. "Peron...thank you, for making us laugh. We needed it."

Jon reached down and wiped away the tear that fell down her cheek. Peron's face grew serious. "Anytime," he said somberly.

Jon held Sophina close and watched him walk away. "I'm glad we found him," Jon said quietly.

"Me too," Sophina said, as she dug her head into his chest.

"Jon Laurent," a Magi Victus said, stepping to up to them. "Master Sanje sent me to deliver a message. Evelyn Ventus was spotted in her room. She's gone into labor."

"Incredible timing," Sophina whispered in awe. She looked up at Jon. "We attack at dawn. Will that be in time?"

"It will have to be," Jon said, grimly. The timing really was incredible. Not for the first time, Jon thought that the God was still pulling strings. Did they really have a chance to pull this off?

"Jon," Sophina said softly, looking up at him. "Everything's ready. Peron's men know what to do. Sanje and his Magi Victus are ready. Raynolt is bringing his Magi."

"What are you getting at?"

"I need to talk to you in private," she whispered. "At the hideout."

Jon sighed. He couldn't deny her, not after tonight. "Okay, but it will have to be quick. I still need to deal with Marcus before it's too late."

Jon embraced his magic and hid them from view as they made their way through the streets. Sophina was oddly quiet and didn't say a word as they approached the hideout. It wasn't until they were safely downstairs that she spoke.

"I have something important to tell you," she said hesitantly.

Jon took a seat by the fire. "Please, tell me. I still have much to do."

She nodded and perched on the edge of the chair. "It's about something Marcus told me. It's about Sarah."

Jon twitched. "What about her?" he asked slowly. He had to take a deep breath. Even the name spoken aloud still made his heart ache.

"Well...he says she came to him after...after you banished her."

Jon perched on the edge of his seat, his heart in his throat. "He didn't tell me this. What did she want?"

Sophina glanced nervously at Jon and looked away. "She...just wanted somebody to talk to, I guess." Sophina paused and took a deep breath. "Jon, she never consummated the soul-bond with Berrick. She never slept with him."

Jon was standing but he didn't remember moving. He looked down at Sophina, his chest rapidly moving up and down. "Don't!" he warned her. "Don't tell me this!"

Sophina stood up and looked at him in pity. "I'm sorry, but you need to know. Marcus asked me not to tell you but you need to know this. It's important."

"Lies!" Jon barked. He turned away from her and paced the living room. "Why would he lie like that? I saw her, Sophina! I saw both of them come out of his tent, half-dressed!"

Sophina raised a placating hand towards him. "She only lay with him, Jon! She couldn't deny the pull of the soul-bond but they never consummated it! She chose not to!"

Jon fell to his knees. "She...didn't betray me?" He felt like his heart was hemorrhaging blood. No, not blood. Poison. The poison that had circulated through his veins for the past two thousand years.

Sophina knelt down beside him. "No," she said gently. "But knowing what Daminus and Evelyn had, can you imagine what that cost her? She still loved you, Jon. She sacrificed her life for yours."

"But why?" Jon demanded, tears streaming down his face. "Why didn't she tell me?"

Sophina reached up and gently wiped the tears away. She, too, had tears swimming in her eyes. "Because she felt like she betrayed you, anyways. She had a soul-bond with another man. She felt she deserved your banishment."

Jon collapsed into Sophina's arms. She held his head against her breast and whispered soothingly to him. Jon's mind was lost to the past. To the memories of his beloved Sarah. How her golden hair spread across his chest. How her eyes lit up every time she looked down at their son.

Jon wept until all the poison was out of his system. His memories, long locked away in his mind, threatened to sweep him away in their glorious beauty. But he was still here in the present. He was needed.

"Thank you," Jon whispered, as he pulled back from Sophina. "You have no idea what you did for me. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart."

"It was my pleasure," she beamed. She wiped away her tears and smiled at him.

Jon stood up. "I need to finish this. Sleep here and I will come get you when it's time."

"Jon," Sophina said quickly, standing up. She grabbed his hand. "Please...stay with me tonight. Jon...I...I love you."

Jon closed his eyes and let the words wash over him. He opened them. "Thank you, Sophina." He picked up her hand and kissed it. "But I need to go."

Sophina's smile slipped away. "That's it? Thank you?"

Jon turned to go but Sophina yanked him back. "What do you want from me?" Jon asked angrily.

"Your love!" she practically screamed. "What can't you just say it?"

"Sophina, it's been an emotional night for me," Jon began but she cut him off.

"Don't give me that excuse, Jon! You have no idea what I've been through these past few months! And now we lost Ashford and...and I...I feel lost...and hurt..." She trailed off, fresh tears spilling down her cheeks.

"Sophina..." Jon said. He was at a complete loss for words.

Sophina sobbed once but then held her back up straight. She looked fiercely into his eyes. "If you don't love me, then just tell me. I can take it."

She looked like a faint breeze could tip her over. Jon knew the words to say but couldn't bring them out. He opened his mouth several times but nothing came out. What was wrong with him?

His heart nearly died as he saw the life drain from her eyes. Her shoulders slumped and she seemed to age several years. "So be it," she said, and an old spark of her anger seemed to return to life. "I don't need you!"

She pushed past him. Something seem to break inside of him at that moment. He snarled and shot out his hand. He grabbed her arm hard and pulled her around.

"Ouch! Let me--"

She was cut off by the force of Jon's lips. He could feel her surprise as he shoved her against the wall and devoured her lips with his. She overcame her shock quickly and eagerly darted her tongue inside of his mouth.

Jon wanted her with an urgency he couldn't explain. His hands were all over her body, wishing they were touching bare flesh and not grimy clothes. She moaned into his mouth as her hands raced across his body.

Jon leaned back and fumbled with the buttons on her coat. She reached down with shaky hands and helped him with the buttons. He tore off the last button and threw the coat aside.

She grabbed the bottom of his coat and started tugging it up. He raised his arms as she pulled it over the top of his head. He leaned back in and kissed her hard. The softness of her lips folded beneath the urgency of his kiss.

He reached his hands up and yanked aside the shirt she wore beneath the coat. The buttons popped off and flew across the room. He reached up eagerly and squeezed her nipples.

"Jon," she gasped, her head thrown back. "Say it, please."

Jon dropped his hands from her nipples. She brought her head back down and opened her eyes. He looked into those shining eyes and let them pierce his heart. "I love you," he whispered.

She closed her eyes and smiled. Another tear leaked out from beneath her eyelid. Jon leaned down and kissed the tear away, tasting the salty sweetness of it. He brought his lips down her cheek and back to her lips.

She grabbed the back of his head and kissed him hard. He dropped his hands down to her breeches and unlaced them. He kissed his way down her chest. Her hands were buried in his hair and she shuddered as he reached the top of her breeches.

He pulled them down slowly, kissing every area of flesh that was exposed. "Jon," she gasped. "I love you."

He pulled the breeches down to her boots. He grabbed each boot and pull them off one by one. He slid the breeches down and off her feet. He stood back up and kissed her.

She moaned into his mouth. Her hands roamed eagerly across the shirt on his chest and down to his breeches. Instead of pulling the shirt off like she did the coat, she dug her hands into his chest and ripped it off. She leaned down and kissed the muscles on his stomach.

Jon closed his eyes and enjoyed the sensations her lips were causing. She, too, pulled off his boots and took off his breeches. She gasped when his cock was exposed. He looked down and watched her grab it, a look of awe on her face.

"I've never seen one before," she whispered, looking up at him. She closed her eyes and kiss the tip of it. Jon moaned and closed his eyes.

He felt her stand up, her hand warm on his cock. "Open your eyes," she said. He did. "I've...I've never been with a man. Be gentle."

Jon leaned over and kissed her neck. She purred as he squatted down and kiss the left side of her neck, moved down to suck on each nipple, and kissed his way up to the other side of her neck.

He kissed her lips again as his hand trailed its way down her stomach. He felt her shudder against him as his fingers explored the wetness between her legs.

"Jon," she moaned by his ear.

He pressed her back up against the wall, his lips still engulfed in hers. He stepped between her legs and parted them with his knees. He took a hold of his cock and positioned it against her opening.

"Are you ready?" he gasped.

She bit her lip and nodded. Jon squatted down and angled his cock upwards. He rose up as his cock slowly pressed up inside of her. She yelped and hugged his neck. He nearly stood up straight as his entire length filled inside of her.

"Slow," he whispered by her ear. He reached down and grabbed her thigh, picking it up for leverage.

"Slow," she repeated.

He thrust once, slowly. She grimaced but nodded for him to continue. He held on tight to her thigh and back as he thrust again. Again. She continued to grimace but kept nodding.

He thrust again, a little faster. This time he got a little moan. "I love you," he whispered by her ear as he thrust again.

"I love you," she panted, her face no longer grimacing. Her eyes were closed and her mouth was slightly open.

Again and again Jon thrust. He picked up speed as Sophina continued to moan pleasurably. She even picked up both legs and wrapped them around his back. Jon held on to her ass as he continued to thrust inside of her.

"Jon, Jon, JON!" she grunted by his ear. Jon's legs were trembling as he held her up against the wall. He felt his moment coming. From the way she was clenching his cock, hers was coming too.

Sophina suddenly arched her back and began shuddering uncontrollably. Jon cried out as he released his seed inside of her. He continued to hold her up as she slowly stop jerking. He pumped the last bit of seed inside of her and nearly collapsed. They fell together to the floor, next to the fire.

"I love you," she panted, her face shining with sweat. Her eyes were fluttering shut.

"I love you," he said, smiling as she drifted off to sleep. He prayed that he would always remember this moment.

***

Sanje stood on top of the wall by the sea and looked out over the dark water. The sea spray was heavy with salt and nearly chilled him to the bone. He loved it. He loved the sound the sea made as it heaved itself against the rocks. He loved the smell of salt in the wind.

But he found no respite in the water this night. Jon Laurent haunted his every thought. When he saw him so casually hand over the secrets of the Magi Victus to Raynolt, he had to resist the urge to stab him in the back.

How dare he hand over their most precious secret! Sanje paced the wall furiously. He continued to wonder why he hadn't tried to kill him. He had made a promise, true, but what did promises count against betrayal? Still, something made him hesitate.

Maybe he was just tired of being so suspicious all the time. Maybe Jon wasn't the monster he assumed him to be. It was time, perhaps, that he tried to have an open mind. Just give him one chance to explain himself.

"It's a nice night for a stroll by the ocean."

Sanje sighed. He had heard Raynolt approach but he hoped the man would turn away. "What do you want, Raynolt? I thought you would be off enjoying your little book."

"Oh, I have plenty of time for that," he replied lightly. "I skipped ahead to the parts about the Shadow Dagger. Fascinating stuff."

Sanje suppressed his irritation. He knew better than to let Raynolt know he got to him. "Well, good for you. Now you know."

"Now I know," Raynolt repeated mockingly. "Seems like you were right, after all. I can't do anything with that knowledge."

Sanje allowed himself a satisfied smile. "I told you. Only Magi Victus can make use of a Shadow Dagger."

"Yes, of course." Raynolt walked up beside him and looked out over the water. "I hate the smell of salt water," he said, conversationally.

Sanje smirked. "Then I suggest you go prepare for the attack."

"I can't," he said, his voice softly rising over the ocean breeze. "You have something I need."

Sanje turned toward him in alarm. At least, he tried to turn toward him. But his body was bound completely. Shocked, he looked down and saw the familiar runes covering his body.

"You've gotten too use to me," Raynolt said, turning toward him. "You let your guard down."

"What is this?" Sanje growled. "What are you trying to prove?"

Raynolt stepped closed to him. "What am I trying to prove?" He appeared to think it over before answering. "Lots of things, I suppose."

He showed Sanje his hand. Sanje watched, wide-eyed, as Raynolt slowly reached down to the sheath on his side. "No," Sanje whispered, too stunned to even form words.

Raynolt grasped the handle of the Shadow Dagger and removed it from the sheath. "I'm trying to prove that I just won't die," he said, smiling. He held the dagger up to his face and studied it.

"Drop it," Sanje said, his voice almost shaking with fear.Drop my son! Get your filthy hands off of him!

"So intricate," Raynolt breathed, his eyes wide as he turned the blade in his hand. "I can feel the power in here. That was nice of Jon to reveal that anyone can touch one of these."

"I'm going to kill you!" Sanje rasped.

Raynolt lowered the blade and stared at Sanje. "It occurred to me that I may have to face Reynar tomorrow. I need extra protection when I do. And he will never suspect this."

"So do you think I will just let you walk away with it?" He knew what Raynolt had to do. But was he capable of it? He just wanted his son back. He thrashed against his bonds and shouted and cursed.

Raynolt watched him struggle with no expression on his face. He looked at the dagger in his hand and back at Sanje. "You know, I always wondered, when the time came, would I be capable of killing my own son? And do you know what I figured out?"

The razor-sharp blade slid between Sanje's ribs and up into his chest. "I've already killed my wife, so why not my son?" Raynolt whispered by his ear.

Sanje coughed blood and sagged against the bonds holding him in place. The spell disappeared and the dagger slid out of his side as he fell to the ground. "Father," he whispered, as he coughed up more blood.

He felt Raynolt kneel over him. "Thank you, for all you have done." He felt a hand caress his face. "I will make a better world for all of us."

Sanje coughed again and rolled to his back. The stars shone down at him and the salt-tinged wind washed over him, filling his nostrils with its heavenly scent.

It was a good night to die.

***

Jon watched the wall close behind him. He tried not to think whether he would see Sophina again. She looked so peaceful as she slept by the fire. He hated to leave.

But he had business to take care of. First, he had to meet with Sanje. And then he had to hunt down Marcus.

My brother...what am I going to do about you?

He feared that Marcus was already lost to him. He knew when the True-born went bad there was no reasoning with them. He tried several times in the past. If Marcus couldn't be reached, then he would have to...

No! Don't think like that, Jon. He can be reached. He can be saved. Just believe. Believe!

He forced Marcus out of his thoughts. He would concentrate on one thing at a time. The path to the wall where he usually met Sanje was nearby. Jon liked to conduct most of his business in Beggar's Hell.

1...34567...9