Shadow Dagger Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jon shook his head. "My place isn't here. Duty calls me past the desert and across the mountains."

It was Peron's turn to gasp in shock. "Jon, past the mountains? You're traveling to that place?"

Jon nodded. "I have...things I need to take care of. Loose ends to tie. I'm preparing the way for Sophina," he added, nodding at the crib.

"Sophina," Peron said, slowly. He bowed his head.

"Preparing the way?" Evelyn asked.

"She is the beginning," Jon replied. "She will start it and she will end it."

"What do I need to do?" Evelyn asked anxiously.

Jon walked over to her and gripped her shoulder. He smiled. "Just love her. Be the mother I know you to be. She will take care of the rest."

Evelyn bowed her head. Jon leaned down and kissed the top of her head. "Good luck, Evelyn," he whispered. "And remember, let Magi mate with non-Magi. Fulfill the God's wishes."

"I will declare it so," Evelyn replied, solemnly.

Jon turned away and walked to Peron. "Go see her, pay your respects," Jon told him, pointing at the bed.

Peron bowed his head and walk slowly to the bed. He knelt on the floor and took Sophina's hand in his own.

Jon patted him on the shoulder and grabbed Sophina's sword from by the bed. He walked back to Evelyn. "This belongs to your child now," Jon said, holding out the sword. "It was always meant for her."

"Thank you," Evelyn said, as she took the sword from Jon. "I will make sure she learns the history of this sword. Of the woman who wielded it."

Jon nodded gravely and turned to the crib. "I have one last gift," he said. "Ashford told me how to do this."

He bit his thumb until blood oozed out and lowered his hand into the crib. Evelyn gasped and leaned over to watch him. He quickly outlined a complex set of runes on Sophina's forehead.

"What are you--"

She stared in awe as Jon muttered a spell under his breath. The blood on Sophina's forehead glowed for an instant and then seemed to sink into her skin. Her body was suddenly outlined in glowing runes of protection. Evelyn had never seen such a complex spell of protection.

"That's what Ashford did for Reynar," Evelyn breathed. She looked up at Jon. "You just tied your life to hers. If she dies, you die as well."

"She will always be protected," Jon said. "As long as I live, no harm will come to her."

Evelyn hugged him. "Thank you."

He hugged her briefly and then took a step back. He walked away and then stopped. Evelyn looked down in the crib and smiled. Things were going to get better.

Jon stood in the middle of the room and took a deep breath. He turned, smiled at Evelyn, and walked out the room.

He was gone.

Evelyn went to crib and picked Sophina up. She opened her eyes and stared at Evelyn.

"You're the beginning," Evelyn whispered to her.

Sophina smiled.

The End.

***

***

***

Well, my friends, I hoped you like the finale of this tale. Please, leave feedback or send me an email. Let me know what you thought of the entire saga. Did I move you to any great emotion? Tears? Anger? Laughter? Did you hate this ending? Did I rip your hearts out?

Just a quick notes on the deaths. I felt I had to stay true to my vision, as I originally planned before I even wrote the first chapter. It was hard, though, very hard. I almost didn't go through with it. But it was the natural arc the story had to take. I swear!

I want to thank everyone who voted, left comments and emails, and just generally read my story. Thank you so much! And I would like to give a special shout out to JazCullen, who has been a great inspiration to me. Thank you! And maybe I will write that Nonhuman story ;)

As for Shadow Dagger, I have one small epilogue that should be posted 2 days after this. I want the last chapter to sink in for a while. The epilogue will give a nice hint to the sequel series I have planned. That series will have to wait, however. I want to write it completely first before posting. But I promise it will be even better!

Thank you once again for reading!

1...456789