Shadow of The Wolf Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So what are your plans this morning?" Rance cut through her musings.

Shaking herself mentally, she met his gaze, "I'm planning on running this morning. That is, if you are available."

"Hmmm...? I can't. Not this morning. Maybe later tonight if you want. I have a conference call with another wolf alpha in Europe." Rance said with regret.

"That's quite alright." She patted his hand. "I'll run with the twins then. We'll keep to our lands and stay to the part patrolled by the betas. I'm just a little antsy this morning and thought maybe my wolf wants to run."

"Are you going in to work today?"

"Maybe later in the afternoon. I want to work with Ralph this morning," nodding her head towards the pup seated on the far side of the dining table, she continued, "see how he's doing with his attempt at rebuilding the engine of that 1969 Mustang Mach1 that his uncle bought for him."

"Alright Alex, just keep our bond open while you're shifted. Okay?"

"Sure, babe. I'll see you later then?"

"Yes." Rance stood up and kissed her lingeringly. "Enjoy your run."

******

Rance entered the elevator in the Pack Clinic building. Opening a hidden panel, he pushed the button for the third level basement. Putting his code in, the elevator slowly descended. The building looked unassumingly normal from the outside, with three floors visible. The elevator buttons showed only one basement, which served as the clinic's morgue and stock and supply rooms. Only the Alpha and some chosen few betas knew of the two floors underneath. The last two floors was where they kept the jail and interrogation rooms, and could only be accessed by the elevator, which was digitally controlled by a code.

Damian and three other betas, Xander, Thorn, and Malik were waiting for him as the door opened. Nodding in greeting, he walked purposely down the narrow hall brightly illuminated by the fluorescent light overhead.

"What have you learned so far?" Rance asked Damian.

"They are proving stubborn," Damian shook his head, "so unless we are willing to use more extreme measure of interrogation, they seem unlikely to give us any useful information."

They walked up to a door, opened it and filed in quietly. The room was devoid of any furniture save for several chairs facing one mirrored wall. The mirror showed another room occupied by a lone slumped figure, chained upright on the wall. Except for the manacles on his wrists, there was no evidence of abuse on his body.

Rance walked up to the mirror and surveyed the Were with eyes starting to burn with anger, "So what in the hell did they tell you guys then?" his voice rumbled.

"Just the usual crap. That we are doomed and the true King of the Weres is coming to exact retribution," Damian answered almost casually.

Rance turned his head to Damian and frowned in thought. "This is the first time I've heard of a King of the Weres."

"He's claiming that their alpha, who was the Promised One, is the King of the Weres," Thorn explained.

"The bunch of them were clearly delusional and crazy to boot. I doubt we'd get anything from them that would tell us where their den is," Xander stated.

"We've had them for almost a week now and still nada." Damian assessed the chained form, "maybe it's time for us to let the task force at them. I believe we've got all the information we can get from them. Now we know that their supposed alpha is abducting humans and attempting to change and impregnate them."

"It's not enough. I want to know the identity of their alpha. Or where they're holed at, at the least." Rance implacably asserted. "Do what you can to extract that information. No mercy this time. They did not show mercy to those they have killed, neither will they get it from us."

Nodding silently, Damian stood next to Rance. "What about the Alpha council and the task force then?" Damian asked, concern lacing his voice. The pack didn't need to butt heads with them. They would need their acceptance and support once the true 'Promised One' was birthed.

With lips in a straight line and eyes turbulent, Rance locked eyes with Damian. Silence reigned for long moments, it seemed, to the three other betas standing in the room. Sighing quietly, Rance nodded his head once, "Inform the task force and the council of their capture later today."

Damian's cell vibrated and started jingling in his pants pocket. Excusing himself briefly, he looked at the digital display and promptly answered the call.

"Prime here... Yeah, okay.... Let them in and I'll inform the Alpha." Hanging up he turned back to find Rance facing him with raised brows.

"What's that all about?" Rance asked.

"That's from our betas down at the main gate." Damian's eyes were sparkling with humor.

"And -? Out with it then," Rance couldn't keep his impatience from coming out. He wanted to finish this business and join Alex in her run.

"You have visitors waiting for you," Damian replied.

"I'm not expecting anyone today. Who is it?"

"Your mate's brothers have come a-calling."

"Fuck!" Rance muttered.

Turning on his heel, he walked out of the room and left Damian and the betas behind. Now he needed to tell Alex to come back from her run. Instead of a closely-planned visit, this was an unexpected -- and potentially eye-opening, for the Grant brothers -- surprise. Hopefully his pack wouldn't do anything that would make Alex's brothers suspicious.

Before getting in the elevator he yelled behind him. "Damian, make sure everyone is aware to be careful of when they shift. I don't want them inadvertently letting our secret out."

Time to make nice with the in-laws.

******

Alex was enjoying her run with Luc and Troy. The air was crisp and fresh, the sun shining brightly overhead, and the grass wet with the night dew. Running in her fur gave her the freedom to throw away the cares and problems that beset her. The three raced each other through the woods and down the sparkling stream, their powerful paws scrambling and tearing the rich soil as they tried to outrun each other. Tongues lolling and sides heaving, they paused to drink.

How far are we from the mansion? asked Alex, as she continued to lap at the refreshingly sweet water.

Not very far. We actually backtracked in a loop after we hit the ridge on the far north side of the property, Luc answered.

Why do you ask? Troy wiggled his lupine brows.

Nothing really, I'm still not very familiar with the terrain. Just wanting to orient myself in case I ever run by myself.

Troy huffed, I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

What do you mean? Once everything settled down and we've dealt with the rogues I'll have the freedom to leisurely explore these woods by myself if I want to.

The wolf Luc shook his massive head. I don't think so. You are our Regina, and as such, needed to have protection at all times. We may fall behind and let you have the illusion of running by yourself, but never will we leave you unprotected.

Besides that, may I remind you, that you are carrying the 'Promised One'? Rance will never allow you to go unprotected, Troy elucidated.

A little dejected at what she heard, Alex hung her head and growled deep in her throat. Can I not have some time to myself then?

My Regina, if things start to overwhelm you and you need space, all you need to do is tell us. We will not intrude in your solitude and will keep our distance. But we could never leave you, Luc answered solemnly, trying to comfort Alex in his way.

Alex, don't despair. We've come here to enjoy and leave all the crap behind. Troy waggled his wolf's brow. Stop thinking about depressing things, let tomorrow worry about itself. Wearing a hangdog look on his wolf face, he asked, Don't you like us anymore?

Snorting, Alex butted his shoulder with her head. You're right. Let's enjoy this wonderful day and continue on in our run. Race you ahead. Turning, she started loping towards the ravine. The bothers let her go ahead for a couple of heartbeats then followed. Upon reaching the ravine, Alex gingerly stepped down the steep incline. On the ravine's floor she waited for the twins. Sniffing the air, she basked in the tranquility of the place. She heard the loping strides of the twins. Cocking her head to the side, she howled in greeting. Two wolf faces peered down at her, both wearing a grin.

What are you doing down there? asked Troy.

Just exploring. Come on down.

I'll stay here, you two enjoy. Luc replied, sitting in his haunches and eyeing the place. He didn't like it that they are a stone throw away from where the last victims were found. Locking eyes with Troy, he let his uneasiness show.

Troy nodded with understanding, I'll try to make her hurry.

******

Upon entering the mansion, Rance was greeted by Frank.

"The Regina's brothers are waiting for you in the drawing room."

"Thank you Frank. Please tell Ophelia to have them bring some refreshment." Rance turned, and Frank stopped him.

"May I also take the liberty of getting three guest rooms ready?"

Pivoting on his heels, Rance looked at his butler. "Huh?" Rance raised brows quizzically.

"Your in-laws are carrying bags with them which I presumed are their clothes."

Rance remembered that he extended an open invitation for them to come and visit. Apparently the brothers took that to mean 'stay over'.

"Yes, please. And thank you." He nodded at Frank and went to meet Alex's brothers.

He heard their conversation even before he neared that open door of the room. Based on the voices, all three brothers had come to visit.

Pausing at the doorway, he perused his guests. All three men were standing in front of the big bay windows that faced the wooded side of the estate and talking quietly amongst themselves. Clearing his throat to alert them of his presence, he stepped inside just as the three turned towards him.

"Hey Rance," Devon greeted with a smile.

Jake offered his hand and shook his, while Andrew smiled guardedly and uttered a quiet hello.

"It's good to see the three of you. Alex has been moping around since she wanted to spend more time with you guys before Jake's and Andrew's leave is over."

"That's why we came. We figured we'd take you up on your offer and stay here." Jake spoke for the brothers. "Devon came along too since he hasn't been here yet." Letting out a piercing whistle, Jake surveyed the room, "You've got quite a place here, Rance. This doesn't look like a home to me. It's more like a luxurious hotel."

"I'm impressed with your security," Andrew finally spoke, "how many live here anyway?"

"Many," Rance replied vaguely. "There are quite a few who live and work here. So I usually don't count."

"How big is this place, anyway?" Devon asked with genuine curiosity, eager to tour the place. The place was huge from what he briefly glimpsed from their drive to the mansion. He saw several buildings from the distance behind the mansion as well.

Just then once of the female young pups came in, bringing refreshment. She pushed in a cart with pitcher of sweet tea, soda and several pastries and cakes. Nodding at her Alpha, she surreptitiously eyed the Regina's brother with interest.

"Thank you, Rose. That will be all."

"You're welcome Alph- , ah Rance." She smiled and blushed leaving hurriedly the room.

Andrew's eyes and ears did not miss the way the young girl looked almost with reverent subservience at Rance. Nor did he miss the way she stumbled on how she addressed him.

"Help yourselves," Rance bid the brothers. "Lunch won't be served until noon. So get something to tide you over until then."

They all served themselves and took seats, engaging in casual chitchat. Reaching for their bond, Alex, your brothers are here. Rance sent through their link.

A screech of delight echoed through their link. I'll be there as soon as I can.

No hurry, babe. I'll entertain them until you get here, Rance replied.

Okay. Thanks, Hon. I owe you one.

Smiling at how happy she sounded, he concentrated on his brothers-in-law.

"I'll give you guys a tour later if you want, or you can wait on Alex."

"Where is Alex anyway? We called the garage before we came here and they told us that she won't be in until later." Devon said.

"She's outside. She loves taking long walks in the grounds. Don't worry, she's probably on her way by now. So how long are guys staying?" Rance asked.

"We figured we'd stay until through our leave, if you don't mind us staying that long." Jake answered.

"It's not a problem and we'd love to have you here. I can have someone show you to your rooms first to drop off your stuff and we can meet in the foyer later," Rance offered.

"What about Alex?" Andrew asked.

"She'll be here by then I'm sure and would join us in the foyer. She's been looking forward to your visit. That's all she could talk about actually." He smiled at her brothers. "Thanks for coming."

"We're family. Of course we'd come and stay with her if we can." Jake responded.

Damian knocked on the opened door of the room. Rance bid him to come and join them. He introduced him as his right hand man in business and best friend. Frank was summoned and instructed to have the brothers shown to their rooms. As they were standing and getting ready to leave for their rooms Rance suddenly went rigid and his eyes went sharp and feral. His wolf's hackles rose and the smell of something unnatural reached his nose before Alex's voice broke into their bond.

Rance! An ambush. We need your help! Opening his senses and pushing his link with Alex, he determined the place and how many rogues were attacking. He saw through Alex's eyes Luc and Troy battling four wolves each and two others were circling Alex.

Oblivious to the watchful gaze of his brothers-in-law, he growled low and cried, "Damian, ambush." Rance snarled.

"Already on it. Our betas are on their way, shifted and ready," Damian replied gutturally. They both sprinted for the door.

"What the fuck?!" Jake exclaimed, surprised that Rance just left.

"Let's go." Andrew hurried after Rance and Damian. "Something is going on and I want to get to the bottom of this. Stay here, Devon." His gaze became flinty as his body readied for combat. He did not miss the tension that swept Rance's body in an instant. Only danger would make a calm and collected guy instantly morphed into a seething lethal force. Too many questions needed answering. His gut was telling him that only danger to Alex would cause Rance to react that way.

He'd get answers at last, even if he had to battle for them.

To be continued....

P.S

Thank you all for your wonderful comments, feedbacks and votes. I love hearing from my readers. Good or bad, keep them coming. Also let me know if you want to have updates sooner and would settle to have the chapters shorter, or prefer to have it longer once a month.

Leave me your comments and feedbacks either here or on my blog. I try to post a teaser every month for the next chapter so visit me there also.

Ciao!

-BD