Shadow Of The Wolf Ch. 10

Story Info
More Mysteries...
13.8k words
4.79
37.2k
67

Part 10 of the 11 part series

Updated 10/28/2022
Created 03/12/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A/N:

I'd want to apologize for the long wait to this chapter. My muse took a hiatus. Thank you all, my faithful readers, for being patient with me and for sending me your comments and feedbacks, while I was in a lull.

Once more I want to thank my wonderful editors: Lunarosa and Mapili50 for their assiduous and priceless help in this chapter.

Enjoy!

Chapter Ten

Alex tumbled once again as Jake hurled her onto the mat. She had been working out and training with her brothers every morning since they came to visit. It was early yet, so the gym was free of the pups who usually loitered and worked out on the other side of the mat, where all the weights equipment were located. Rance and Andrew were standing to the side. Andrew had a frown creasing his brows, arms crossed over his big chest, as he watched Alex roll nimbly to her feet.

He and his brothers had been on the estate for several days. The wolf shifters, as he had observed, were reservedly open and friendly to them, although he could sense they were also wary of their presence in their midst—as they should be, since he and his brothers were humans. No doubt, if they were not related to Alex, their knowledge of pack's existence would have signed the human brothers' death warrant. He would not delude himself that these beings are as they seemed. He was too cautious not to assume they were half-beast, therefore were likely prone to the instincts of their feral side. Any animal threatened in any way would lash out, so wouldn't these seemingly normal beings if put to the test?

Watching Alex interact with Rance and the inhabitants of the estate almost eased his vigilance, but just one show of animosity toward his sister, and all hell would break loose. She may think that she's a mighty alpha with all these mysterious powers, but to him, she was still his sister who needed his protection. That thought brought him to his present concern, prompting him to quietly ask Rance, "Shouldn't she be taking it easy?".

"What do you mean?" Rance asked abstractedly, keeping his eyes on Alex as she attacked Jake with a series of punches and kicks.

"Aren't you concerned about the baby she's carrying? I wonder if this level of activity is good for her in her condition.".

The tone of Andrew's voice pierced Rance's absorption in observing Alex. He didn't like the way that Andrew was implying neglect of his mate. Turning completely toward his mate's brother, and his emerald eyes brimmed with annoyance and a touch of anger.

"I care about Alex more than you can comprehend. One way of showing my care is ensuring her ability to defend herself, if necessary. We are a hardy bunch; there is no danger to her or the baby in her womb. Our females are not fragile or prone to miscarriage as humans are."

"I still don't think it wise to risk it. Even if she is now a shifter with a hardy constitution, what if because she was once human she should therefore take more care than a normal female shifter in her condition?"

Rance looked thoughtfully at Andrew, trying to gauge if he was just being aggravating or sincerely concerned of his sister's welfare. After some moments of quiet consideration, Rance appreciated the wisdom of Andrew's words. He abruptly nodded and acknowledged the wisdom of his advice. Much as he was certain that Alex was perfectly safe training and working out even carrying the Promised One, he'd not risk his mate's and pup's health on it.

Turning once more towards the mat where Jake and Alex were sparring, he sauntered casually towards the two.

"Alex, it's time to take a break," Rance called out mildly.

Alex glanced at Rance with a questioning look. Usually Rance would work her out till she was ready to drop. Her sparring with Jake did not even cause her to break into a sweat yet.

"What's up? We're just getting warmed up," she asked Rance once he'd reached her. Jake looked on with curiosity, but not much interest.

"I just thought we should cut it short since your parents are coming today, remember?"

"Yeah, but that's not until later. If I know Dad, he'll take his time driving down here. And besides, they'll be staying till they leave for their trip to their European cruise next week."

Andrew joined them, "I believe you should take it easy considering your condition, don't you think?"

"Huh-?" For a moment Alex was at a loss as to what he was talking about, until she realized that he was hinting at her pregnancy. "Oh! But I doubt there's any danger."

"Are you completely sure?" Andrew persisted.

Looking up at her mate's face, she tried to discern his stand on the matter.

"I guess it won't hurt to be cautious," she finally conceded, albeit reluctantly.

Taking her hand, Rance steered her away from the mat. "We'd better get Armand to look at you again." He handed her a towel to wipe off as Alex fell in step with him, leaving her brothers as they got ready to spar.

"I'll see you guys later for breakfast!" she called out over her shoulder to her brothers.

With an absentminded wave from Andrew and a grunt from Jake, she hurried off with her mate.

"What's going on?" She demanded, after they were out of hearing from her siblings.

"Nothing," Rance responded with a casual air.

Alex stopped abruptly and yanked at the hand Rance was holding. Turning, Rance looked back at her. "What gives? Usually, you won't get satisfied until I've rolled more than a dozen times on those mats. And now, I've barely broken a sweat. So --?"

Sighing, since he knew he Alex would persist until she got her answer, he finally told her of his conversation with her brother.

"Andrew pointed out that since you were a newly turned human we should take better care of you in your condition."

"In my condition?!" Alex shook her head in a show of frustration. "For your information Mr. Big Bad Wolf, human women don't just stop working out or training the minute they find themselves pregnant. And what does my brother know about pregnant women anyway? Unless a woman had health problems or has trouble carrying to term, she continues to do normal and regular things in her life. Besides, I'm now a wolf shifter. Our constitution is way better than that of a human," she huffed.

"I know. But I thought we should go and visit Dr. Armand to be truly certain. I'm not going to make you stop training. I just want to have an expert's opinion to put my mind at ease, not to mention your sibling too," Rance quietly replied.

Lately Alex had exhibited a short temper and a marked increase in her libido. She got frustrated fast and her aggressiveness tended to flare hot. Although the episodes were short lived, it was becoming a concern for him. Maybe it had something to do with her rioting hormones and pregnancy, maybe not. Seeing the pack doctor would be a good opportunity to find out about it.

"Well, okay. As long as we're clear that I'm not going to stop altogether until my belly gets too big for me to do so."

"Agreed."

Rance put his arms around Alex's waist and started walking again towards their suite. They met several pups on the way to the basement and their greetings of good morning echoed in the hallway. Alex and Rance responded and nodded in acknowledgement but did not stop to chat with them. Once they reached the landing at the top of the stairs, Rance turned to Alex.

"We might as well stop over and see this mysterious girl Malik found, since we're going to the clinic. She's been up and awake for several days now but refused to talk to anyone. Maybe you could coax her to talk to you."

"She's the one they found in the woods, right?" Alex asked.

Rance nodded briefly. "Yes. She's been battered badly. I still need to know her connection with the rogues. And believe me, there is one. She smelled distinctly of them when she was first brought in. But she refused to say anything. Not even her name. I can understand that she had been traumatized, but we can't help her if she would not tell us anything."

"I can try." Alex felt bad for the girl. She'd heard of the extensive abuse the girl had suffered physically. Although the physical wounds would eventually heal and fade away, the mental and emotional wounds would take longer to heal and probably scar more deeply than the physical one.

"I also need to go find out how the interrogation is going with the captured rogues."

"I think you should take my brothers to observe and maybe help too," she suggested.

Rance stopped in his tracks and looked at Alex with skepticism, "I don't think that would assist us in any way. We've been at it for a couple of days now and still they refused to give up even the identity of their leader. If your brothers get involved, the rogues would only clam up more."

"Why?" she asked, arms akimbo. "They are highly trained professionals. I'm sure they could give you a hand. Sometimes a new pair of ears and eyes gives new perspective to a problem," Alex trained narrowed eyes at Rance, "and I'm dead certain they could be trusted, if that's what concerns you."

Rance face was carved in granite. No glimmer of emotion showed in his face or eyes. If she were not intimately connected to him, she would have been deceived into thinking that nothing was bothering him. As it was, even tempered slightly, their connection seethed with his repressed aversion in getting her brothers involved in shifter business.

With a sigh, Alex wrapped her arms around his waist. "They are my brothers, Rance. They are not just random humans who are not privy to our secret. Besides which, their leave is almost up," peering up at him, she looked pleadingly. "I trust them...I'd willingly put my life in their hands. I think it's about time to hand them a measure of trust, don't you think? You've seen how my brothers are very protective of me. Once they learned that those rogues pose a danger to me and mine, there would be no stopping them. So why not let them help?"

She nuzzled his chest, "Your invitation to observe and help would serve a long way in assuring them of your trust. Please, for me?"

Rance hugged her to him, "I hope you're right." With a resigned sigh, he let his arms fall away.

"What the hell," he grumbled, "I'll let Damian know we're all coming then. Well, go ahead and take a shower. I'll be up after I informed -," he paused as Alex frowned disapprovingly at him. "After I NICELY asked your brothers for help," Rance amended.

Alex beamed up at her towering mate. "I know I'm right. You'll see."

Turning, Rance retraced his steps to the basement gym. All the while muttering to himself, "Pussy whipped...never thought to see the day...."

Laughing behind him, Alex yelled, "I heard that!"

Watching his impressive form disappear as he rounded a corner, she finally turned and entered their suite. She'd go ahead and take a shower and get ready for the day.

She couldn't wait to go downstairs and eat breakfast, her rumbling stomach demanding nourishment. Patting her belly, she smiled and thought of the baby growing inside her. Hey squirt, the way you make me want to eat constantly would upset me if I got huge as a house. Good thing shifter metabolism burns a lot of calories and I can eat and eat and not get any fatter.

******

"What was that all about?" Jake asked as he circled Andrew.

"Huh? About what?" Andrew replied.

"Fuck that! Stop being deliberately obtuse, I don't buy it." Jake jabbed Drew on the stomach. Andrew blocked and delivered a roundhouse kick that connected with a dull thud on Jake's side.

"Ooomph!" Jake staggered but immediately regained his balance and faced off with the grinning Andrew.

"There's nothing to tell."

Shaking his head, Jake advanced on Andrew and delivered a combination punches and kicks.

"Yeah, right. As if I'd believe that. I may not be gifted with your INCREDIBLE perception, but even a blind person can sense something going on." Jake's voice dripped with sarcasm.

He smirked at his older brother, "And here I thought you are one jarhead who's oblivious to subtle signals. I clearly remember your former girlfriend complaining that you're hopelessly clueless all the time, unless it has anything to do with sex, that is."

With perfect precision, Jake delivered a kick on Andrew's left side and punched his solar plexus. Failing to block both attacks, Andrew lurched on his feet. With a glint of determination on his eyes, he advanced on Jake and circled, looking for an opening.

Jake smiled with satisfaction. His little brother was pissed. Drew had always been serious and exacting, especially with himself. His failure to block would make his brain analyze each tiny detail and catalog it for future reference. With a smirk, he crooked his finger, "Come on, squirt, give me some challenge here." He loved it when his brother took the bait.

Andrew's muscles tensed in preparation for his attack when Rance's voice rang out, "Jake, Andrew, can I talk to you both for a second?"

Turning, Drew raised his brows in inquiry. "Sure," he replied, after a small pause.

Jake and Andrew walked up to Rance, curiosity evident in their faces. "What's up?"

"My mate, er- Alex, had suggested that maybe you could help us out with some matters. That is if you're interested."

"Alex said that, huh?" Jake looked at Rance's face. He could see that the man was not fully convinced of the proposition. Andrew's brows were furrowed, which was a bit telling. Jake wondered what secret these two shared.

"Does it have something to do with the attack?" Andrew asked.

"Yes." Rance replied tersely. "So if you would get yourself ready, I'll meet you in the dining room and we'll go after breakfast." Nodding, Rance walked away from the brothers.

Andrew and Jake shared a look. Both knew that Alex had put Rance up to the task. Neither believed that the proud Alpha would ask a mere human to help with pack business. But if it has anything to do with the attack on Alex, they were more than willing to help.

Devon approached his older siblings. A towel was slung on his shoulders as he wiped the sweat off his body from working out with the gym's machines.

"Hey guys, are you done beating each other up? I need someone to spar with me. I haven't had a decent training on the mat since I started college." Seeing that both brothers were seemingly oblivious of him, he waved his hands in front of their faces. "Hello! Earth calling Jake and Drew..."

With an air of preoccupation, both Jake and Andrew turned to Devon. "Sorry, Dev. But it seems like your mat time will have to be postponed for now." Jake patted him on the shoulder.

"Why? It'll take thirty minutes tops to put me through my paces. Come on guys, you've never shirked your duties in training me before." Devon said bemusedly.

"Sorry kid. Rance had invited us to observe, and maybe help them out with some matters." Andrew responded.

"Can I come? I'd love to see the wolves in action."

"You have to ask Rance, then. I'm not even sure what's going on yet." Andrew said.

"Come on. Let's get ready and see what the mystery is all about." Jake nodded at his brothers and started for their rooms to get ready.

******

Luc was happy to finally get the all clear from Dr. Armand. His forced inaction chafed greatly. It would have been bearable if he was able to study more about the Promised One's prophecy, but the ancient books were too precious and valuable to be handled outside the temperature-controlled archives room where the pack kept them. So, he spent his time in the clinic hashing out the dilemma in which he found himself mired - - after Alex visited him that fateful day.

He was ordered to take it easy both by Rance and Alex, so he was left with a lot of time on his hands. It was a good thing too that Alex stayed mainly in the estate since her brothers were visiting, so he did not miss much.

The day he regained consciousness would be indelibly imprinted in his memory. That was the day that he knew his mate existed. The delicious aroma, although faint, woke him from his torpor. His senses flared up and awoke a great need in him to locate the source of such an enchanting aroma, so naturally it was startling to find his Regina gazing down at him when he finally opened his eyes.

When Alex came to visit him in the clinic, his usually inactive cock chose to wake up and take notice. He secretly squirmed as his tool slowly elongated and throbbed in tandem to his accelerated heartbeat. Initially, he was bemused and alarmed at his reaction to Alex. But, as his brain started to function, he realized that he was not reacting to Alex; instead, his undiscovered mate must have rubbed her scent on his Regina. Thank Luna, he'd thought, as Alex, unaware of his dilemma, regaled him with the events after the ambush.

Discovering that Alex's brothers and best friend came to visit, Luc was equally elated and horrified to realize that the delicious smell that made his cock as hard as steel could only belong to Alex best friend, Pam. It was a good thing that he was nowhere near the mansion when Pam arrived, or she would have found herself bedded and mated in no time. He totally doubted that it would be all peachy after the initial mating, although, he was certain that it would be hot and intense. From what he had gathered, his mate was one feisty female that relished her sexuality and was not ready to settle down any time yet.

Now the question was how would he get his mate ready for shifter mating? She was human and he was not sure Pam would be as open to the paranormal as Alex. She was also a career woman who'd carved a position in a cutthroat environment. He did not want to make her resent him in the end, because of what she might perceive as a 'forced' mating. Not that he'd heard of a true mating ending in disaster...but there's always a first time, and he did not want to be the exception that proved the rule.

Maybe he should tell Alex. She was Pam's best friend after all, so she knew Pam better than anyone. At least he would have some idea how his mate would react. He only hoped like hell that Luna knew what she's doing mating him to Pam. As far as he could tell, he and Pam were polar opposites.

Trailing after the Alpha and his mate with her human brothers as they walked to the Pack Clinic, Luc wondered when would be the best time to broach the subject with Alex. He believed Alex would love the idea of her best friend becoming one of them, but he would have to contend with Alex's brothers who had adopted Pam as one of their family.

Just thinking about the complications that would arise with his mating made his head throb in pain. Grimacing, he reprimanded himself for not being grateful for Luna's gift. Some wolves lived and died without finding their mate, and here he was grousing about his great fortune. Taking a deep breath, he resolved that he would show his mate, when they finally mated, how precious she was to him.

A nudge on his shoulder broke his line of thought. "What's got your boxers in a twist?" Troy asked curiously with his trademark smirk. He'd noticed that his usually unruffled brother was oddly tense and exhibited a seesawing emotion of borderline giddiness to trepidation that bled into their twin bonds. He wondered what was causing Luc distress.

With a placid look, Luc shrugged and kept walking.

"You're more broody and reticent than before the ambush, are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine," Luc grumbled. "Just have a lot of things on my mind lately."

Troy grabbed his twin's arm, making Luc stop and stare impassively at him. He took the time to watch Luc's eyes carefully. Shaking his head, he dropped his hand, "No, you're not fine. Something is bothering you."

"Of course something is bothering me. What with all these attacks happening, who would not be bothered?" Luc responded cagily as he looked away from Troy.