Shadow School Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh," the girl said with a feminine chuckle, "I thought so too when I first heard it, but it's not exactly the blood that runs in your veins... well it is, but not like that. The school kind of has a rule that you can't have any relatives in the last four generations of your family who attended. So if they find that your great-great grandmother went here... well, you probably won't get the scholarship." The girl smiled a little. "So think of it as the anti-sorority if that's what gets you through the day. But it is a sisterhood. We watch each other's backs, and there's the typical rivalry and squabbling. Do you have sisters?

"Uh, no." Kristie was at least a little relieved.

The girl continued. "Well you may have noticed a nice amount of diversity here so we do count on that. We get exchange students on occasion as well. Like this year we have someone from Australia, and a girl from Brazil. But mostly everyone is American." She looked around then whispered to Kristie conspiratorially. "We're pretty sure those girls are simply a sign of good faith the Board of Directors are showing the sister schools we have in other countries. This school is VERY connected all over the world."

Kristie raised an eyebrow. "So the scholarship doesn't go to anyone whose family has won it before? Is it like that for students as well?"

"No, the scholarship is simply about... new blood." The girl looked at Kristie from the corner of her eye. "It keeps the population diverse. The rest of the school is all about family. Generations have attended this school since the beginning. Like Louis. Did you notice he was French?" Kristie nodded. "His mother attended here on the scholarship; one of the exchanges like the girls I mentioned earlier. If you have a child, he or she will go here as well."

Kristie smirked. "IF I have a kid, what makes you think they'll come here instead of going to another school?"

The girl didn't return her smile; she simply raised her eyebrows as if the question was unthinkable. "Trust me... once they learn about this school they'll attend."

"It's that good?"

The girl finally smiled. "It's better than good."

By the time Kristie got to the office lobby, the first two scholarship competitors had already completed their interviews and the third one was in the middle of hers. All of the other girls waited downstairs before being escorted into the President's office on the second floor.

It was only slightly awkward; at least enough noise coming from a gramophone in the secretary's office to make talking unnecessary to fill the silence. She thought it was strange to use such an old-fashioned record-player but it did add to the atmosphere... she thought a stereo would look funny sitting with the antiques. Everyone sat and listened to an orchestra that was probably playing something by Mozart or Beethoven -- Kristie didn't have enough classical music knowledge to know which.

Slowly, the amount of girls in the waiting area dwindled until she alone was left. When her name was called, the girl beside her stood to escort her upstairs.

"I'm Becky, by the way." The girl said.

Kristie couldn't do anything but smile. Her throat had closed up like it did every time she was nervous. She swallowed before the grand doors were open.

The room was darker than she expected, the light blocked out by heavy drapes that hung from the high ceiling to the floor. There were three people in the room, one was the President, and the other two... she had no idea who they were... they were too young to be members of the Board, who were actually meeting with her parents now so... maybe they were assistants.

"Kristie MacFarland." Becky said, coming to stand beside her.

There was a moment of silence as Becky eyed the tall, muscular black man and the hauty-looking young woman with wavy brown hair.

God, what got up her butt? Kristie thought to herself.

The dark-skinned man grunted slightly, and if he didn't look so serious, she thought it might have been a laugh. The woman's eyes simply appraised her. They were both dressed like high-powered business executives but they were too young to pull it off completely. Still, if she knew her clothing styles better, she'd say that they were wearing designer suits.

"Thank you Becky, you may go get the second round please." The President had a gentle way of phrasing things. Kristie liked the sound of his voice. Elegant.

Becky nodded, and smiled. Kristie thought she might have even winked at the black young man, but when she turned to check the girl had already spun on her heel to exit. When she looked back, she met the eyes of the man and gasped. They were a shade of gray she'd never seen before.

"Well, let's get started," the President said, offering Kristie a seat in front of his desk. She sat down, hearing the soft click as the door to the office closed.

***

Cameron sat next to Melanie in silence. She hadn't been able to speak for several moments, overwhelmed by not just the day, but the fact that after three weeks, she was finally presented with an apology. Only it hadn't come as she thought it would.

Oh she had imagined every way possible, or thought she had, so when Melanie sat down and gave her a story no one in their right mind would believe, she was left a little speechless.

"What's worse," Melanie finally broke the silence. "Is that Gavin's... relative... is Louis. They have the same last name. He never said anything to me, so I have no idea if he's a brother or a cousin, but he has some of Gavin's features so I know they're related. On top of that, their last name is one of the names of the seven Houses."

Cameron couldn't take it anymore. Who cared about that goth guy anyway. "Seriously, Melanie, you expect me to believe that you had some fever that made you horny and that Trenton didn't want to do it at first? You're making yourself sound like a slut and a victim at the same time... I mean... which is it?" Cameron tried to calm down before her voice attracted attention. "Unless you were slipped some sort of drug..." She felt the anger leave her as suddenly as she thought and spoke the words.

Melanie opened her mouth but took a second to find the words. "Yeah except whatever came over me that night happened again this weekend. I know I didn't take anything or was given anything. It lasted longer too. Oh, I don't know why I'm telling you this." Melanie put her head in her hands. "But I think if it happens again I'm going to have to go to the doctor."

Cameron faced the empty stage. She hated this. "Well was Trent anywhere near you that weekend?"

"No... I only saw Gavin. When I broke it off with him. I only saw him for a few minutes before I left for home." Melanie sighed. "I'm so sorry Cam. I don't want it to be awkward if we go to here together."

Cameron rolled her eyes. "Let's get this straight. I don't hate you, but I don't particularly like you. You had everyone fooled with that good-girl act so yeah I was shocked when you slept with my boyfriend at prom. But you couldn't have picked another night? That memory is ruined forever. So how the hell do you think I'm going to be able to be your friend, when even now those pictures of me and Trent are being processed. I'll have to pick them up at school in front of everyone. And do I want them? No! And my dress..."

Cameron knew she was being harsh but everything had built up in her so much it all just came rushing out. "Good thing we have the gala tonight and that dress has a second chance or I wouldn't even be talking to you right now. So let's make a deal. We obviously won't get into the same house and we may only have a few classes together. You keep to yourself, and I'll keep to mine, and maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to tolerate each other and have a good time here."

Both girls noticed the hooded figures lining back up on the stage.

Cameron couldn't help the last remark. "That is, if you even get in."

Luckily she had been called first, so she was able to leave before Melanie could say anything else. The girls in cloaks were going out of order now, the houses jumbled instead of spelling the school name. Cameron didn't think she could sit in that room for another round. When she turned to look at the room, Melanie's face was set in a look of determination, but she was facing the back of the theatre seat in front of her.

Cameron welcomed the fresh air when she stepped outside with the dark-skinned girl. Closer up, she could see a pretty shade of purple lipstick on the girl's lips.

"I'm Aunalita," she said, a big grin on her face. "You can call me Auna if you get the scholarship, but not before then."

Cameron thought the girl was trying to make a joke. She looked like she could be a model. "Well then, you can call me Cam if I get it, but for now it's Cameron."

The girl grinned and nodded. "Sorry for all this drama. Some of the girls from other houses are really into it. All the proper words have to be said, and we have to wear the robes... My House is not so formal."

"So are you one of the seven?" Cameron asked.

"In my year, yes."

"Are you a junior too? Like Linney?"

Aunalita pressed her pouty lips together. "Well, I'm actually a sophomore. I took time out of school last year but Linney and I are of the same circle, yes." She smiled. "Do you have any questions about the interview? Or what you heard?"

"Actually, yeah." Cameron knew she'd sound crazy if she said this but she had to give it a shot. All that babbling Melanie did was starting to get to her and she wanted to get the curiosity out of her system as soon as possible. "My friend in there went out with a guy who goes here. Or at least, she thinks he's here. Gavin Ovidan." Cameron knew she shouldn't have said anything when the girl's face changed. But she'd started it, might as well finish it. "And Louis Ovidan... he was the one who greeted us. He looks like Gavin." She waited, yet the girl said nothing. "And well, one of the Houses... it's named Ovidan. And by the sound of things this school has been around a while..."

"The families here are very old. The tradition continues with every generation."

The response was textbook. Cameron was too good a judge of character to let Aunalita's voice sound sincere to her. "And then the President's last name is Arinson..."

"You're clever." It was a statement. "You will probably do well in the interview. Just be prepared. President Arinson is a truthful man and will answer every question. If you ask the wrong one, you may just find yourself with the right answer, and a scholarship to this school."

Well that statement made no sense. How could asking the wrong questions get her the scholarship?

"Look," Aunalita said, stopping in front of the hall and crossing her arms in front of her, "I'll be straight with you. In this college, once you know a secret that can't get back into the world, neither can you. You want to go here? Fine. Ask anything you want and you'll get an answer. But be ready to deal with the consequences. The fastest way to get a scholarship is to figure things out. All the clues are there."

Cameron turned to Aunalita as the girl opened the door for her. "Yeah, but is it worth it? Knowing?"

Aunalita grinned and winked. "Beyond your imagination."

Cameron's name was called the moment she stepped into the lobby and she followed Aunalita upstairs to the President's office.

***

Kristie was done with all this ritual bullshit. She didn't want to go to college to join some club and chant a few hymns only to congratulate herself and others on how awesome they were.... She wanted to party, cut class, and do all the stuff you heard college kids did. Why else did she work so hard that summer to get caught up on her classes when her teachers threatened to flunk her?

She needed a cigarette. She was never without a pack since she turned eighteen and could finally buy them for herself, but she didn't think now was a good time to light up.

"Are you alright?" Daman was walking next to her. He had won a slight battle of wits over which house was going to interview her against that snobby Drusilla chick. Apparently both houses liked her spirit. She still didn't know much about him, just that he was with Sokar, was probably twenty or twenty-one years old, and had the most amazing eyes she'd ever seen.

She was walking next to her new Head of House; if she got the scholarship. Daman and the Drusilla girl from Caesaris House had waited until the President ended the interview to pelt her with questions and argue with each other over which house would interview her. Daman had won. Something about the verbal exchange had been so intense it had Kristie on edge. She'd never been the prize of a verbal confrontation before and found herself happy to be the victor.

Now she was on some other ritual journey through the underground passages of Shacrow, to a place called the Crossroads where the seven Houses met. She assumed this was so none of the other applicants could see who they were in competition with. Or something. She had to walk the hallway to Sokar House as part of the initiation, which was why she was getting antsy. She was guessing it was starting to show if Daman noticed just by walking next to her.

"I'm fine. I just... I'm not really one for ceremony."

Daman's perfect teeth gleamed against his dark skin as he smiled. "You get used to it. Some girls even fight for position in the hierarchy of ceremony." His voice was rich and deep. A rumble that probably made other girls more than a little moist.

Well I don't have to get used to anything, she thought to herself. All this ceremony; the place was starting to give her the creeps. Like Stepford gone wrong. Be a good little robot and chant these words for us, but don't light up, it's not good for your circuits. She giggled nervously.

"So... you're House." She figured small talk would get her mind off things. "Sokar. It's been around for a long time."

"A very long time, yes."

They stepped out into a great room filled with rugs and pillows, benches, and tables set with all sorts of food. Holy shit. It was like something out of Arabian Nights... or Rome... or, well, it looked like a variety of different cultures vomited their décor all over the place. There was a coat of arms on the wall and lace drapes hanging from the ceiling over one of the benches. Persian rugs littered the floor as did bearskins.

Someone should shoot the decorator.

"This way." Daman gestured to a hallway on the far left.

The passage was lit with torches for crying out loud.

Kristie followed him to the entrance and he looked back just as she stepped through the arch. Daman smiled warmly as she caught up to him. It was strange to see him smile so much after watching his stony face all through her interview. Maybe it was the win that put him in a good mood. They walked together down the corridor .

"Can I ask you something that might sound bad coming from an applicant?" Kristie didn't take her eyes off the walls. They were covered in brilliantly-colored hieroglyphics.

Daman laughed. "Is it bad?"

"No... maybe... I just don't want it to be taken as an insult." She stopped at a particularly interesting picture of two people obviously getting it on. She forgot her question as her eyes followed the depiction of the man cuddling the woman, her face in what looked to be Egyptian ecstasy: eyes closed, mouth open, head back, as the man nuzzled her neck. Wow. Hot.

"The question?"

Daman's voice made her jump. "What? Oh, yeah..." Kristie noticed him looking at the painted scene she was studying and blushed a little. "Is it worth going here? I mean... they say everyone gets ahead in the world... but at what price? The school has to get something out of it."

"You mean more than just populating the campus with beautiful women?" Daman asked, raising his eyebrows slightly. He sounded so serious but she could swear he was being humorous. Especially since he'd noticed the picture she was looking at.

"Did your ancestors paint this? I mean the school has been here for hundreds of years, right?" Kristie forgot her own early question and referenced the images before her. There were others of girls giving birth to children, the children growing, and then images of men and women who were represented as strong and healthy. Still, her eyes came back to the embrace going on right at her eye level. When he didn't answer she turned, looking at him. The look on his face was... studious... intense... it made her gulp.

"No. My ancestors did not paint these scenes."

The moment hung between them as the question went unanswered. She was too caught up in those silvery gray eyes to make her usual sarcastic remark. She suddenly found herself wondering if this creepy place really was... creepy. He could be some sort of monster or alien or something. Her heart beat a little faster in her chest.

"Painters."

It took her a moment to understand. "What?"

"Painters, painted these scenes." He smiled reassuringly and turned to continue down the hall.

Kristie gave one last look to the scene then caught up to him. She could have kicked herself. Of course painters painted these scenes. But who cared anyway... what was more important was why he had looked at her that way. What was up with that? She glanced at the wall again, an excuse not to look in his direction.

"Woah." Kristie stopped dead in her tracks, staring at the wall. Daman had stopped as well, turning swiftly to watch her. She saw him in her peripheral vision but she couldn't take her eyes off the new image she'd discovered. Drawings of men battling... it looked like wolves. That was fine, except the wolfs were coming from another painting of men TURNING into the wolves.

Monsters. Yeah. Fuck.

"Kristie, I must ask you to continue to follow me." Daman said, not approaching her.

"I'm sorry it's just..." her voice trailed off when she saw the image of a man biting a wolf. Not, she noted quickly, the other way around. The image was near other pictures of men and wolves locked in a great battle. Shit.

Shit shit shit.

"Kristie." She flinched, realizing the sound came from just behind her. She hadn't seen or heard Daman move. Then again it wasn't like she was paying attention. She looked back over her shoulder, waiting to see him about to pounce on her and eat her alive. When she finally got up the nerve to turn around as casually as possible, he wasn't distorted, but he did back her against the wall she had just been studying.

"Woah, hey, man personal space." Kristie knew it wasn't the most elegant way to say it, especially to someone high up in the scheme of things at a college she wanted to attend, but he was really close. Daman's silvery gray eyes stared into hers. She stared back, unable to hide her fear. What the fuck had she gotten herself in to? Something about that stare was predatory. She looked down, not wanting to meet his eyes, but as close as she was, she only ended up looking at his lips.

Okay, bad move.

He kissed her.

It wasn't some tentative, is-this-okay kind of kiss. This was an I'm-going-to-devour-you kind of kiss. Not the frightening kind, but a passionate consumption of energy she'd only witnessed in movies. The kind of kiss that happened right before a battle, or a separation, or some really hot sex.

Daman's tongue forced her mouth open. The kiss itself was still so unexpected her lips opened without a fight. The kiss was hot, his tongue almost burning her mouth, but not quite. He was plundering her mouth, crushing his lips so fiercely to hers that she felt her teeth scrape the inside of her mouth.

Then she tasted blood. Hers? His? The flavor must have gotten to him as well because with one last massage of his tongue on hers, he released her, backing away.