Shall We Dance? Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

`Again, I opened my mouth to speak, but she cut me off at the pass again, adding, "And that comment didn't mean you're getting laid tonight either."

Unbidden, a smart assed comment just popped out, as I know they are wont to do. "Says who?"

Though she grinned, I caught a slight flash of her eyes that said You better not if you want any of this.

"Well, not by me at least."

I swallowed my next smart assed comment. The flash I saw faded quickly, and we sat down.

She said, "I know there's not much time between sets to get to know each other, so I'm going to make you a deal. I will stay here and dance, and you will take me to breakfast when you're done. We can talk then. If you're not comfortable with that, let's figure out when we can talk. How's that sound to you?'

Damn, she's got this all figured out, I thought. She IS hot, and I DO usually eat breakfast after a gig, and it WOULD be nice to have some good looking company...

"Damn, I wonder what's going through that head of yours" she said.

"I'm thinking," I said. She sat quietly for a few seconds, while I pondered the question.

"Is it THAT damn hard of a decision to make?"

"Well, to be honest...yes, it is."

Damn. I knew I screwed the pooch as soon as it came out, even though I hadn't intended to.

The green fire was back with a vengeance, and this time, there was no grin. "Why, you arrogant son of a..."

I backtracked as fast as I could, with as much contrition as I could muster. "Lisa, I didn't mean it to come out like that..."

Too late. She rose, gathering her purse and grabbing her keys. I rose to try to cut her off, but I didn't touch her.

"Let me explain...I've never..."

"Yea, yea," she barked. "Just forget..."

"Wait a second. Please, give me just a minute to explain."

She whirled around and said, "Look, I just basically THREW myself at you, and you shot me down like I was some tramp off the street. I isn't about to let you embarrass me any further, so forget that I was even here. Good night."

"Please? Just one minute of your time, and if you don't like what I'm about to say, you can leave. But I do have a reason for being so hard headed, and stupid, and brain dead, and mentally incompetent...you can stop me when I don't apply."

The fire died down from a roar to a high simmer. "Go on..."

"...and retarded, and dumb as ..."

"Not that, dumb ass. Why?"

"Can you please sit down?"

She sat down, but kept her things close. I knew this was make or break, so I took a deep breath and began.

"First of all, I've never had a woman ask ME out...ever! Second, I've never had one as beautiful as you even go out with me when I ASKED. Third, do you even realize how LATE we will be out tonight? This place closes at two, and it takes about an hour and a half to break it down and load it in the truck. I am used to it, but I'm sure YOU aren't, and I'd feel bad if I kept you out that late. Add to that, what kind of person would I be if I didn't take all this into consideration before I answer your question?"

The fire went from that high simmer to smoldering. "What question?"

"Actually, it wasn't a question, it was a statement. You were wondering what I was thinking. Now, you know. I was trying to express how difficult it would be if I just said yes, and as usual, my big mouth opened, and the rest is history. I didn't mean to make you mad, but I did want to show some consideration for you, and while I am seriously flattered that you think I am worth it, I wouldn't just accept without thinking about it. Mama didn't raise no fool, even if you're not quite sure."

The fire went out, thankfully. She smiled.

"Jim, you just got a stay of execution. Now, get your ass on that stage, and if you know what's good for you, you'll play great."

Everyone else had already made their way back to the stage, with me dragging up the rear. They saw me making a complete horse's ass out of myself, and I could see that the ragging and questions would follow soon. I cut it off at the pass.

"If any of you assholes mention one thing about this, I'll stick my bass up your ass and play from there, got it?"

The grins I got let me know that I had only postponed the Q&A period. Benny, the guitar player, looked like he had been shot.

"US? Ask questions or bust your balls about a WOMAN? Noooooo..."

"Good," I said.

"However..." he grinned.

"I see you want to be first, Benny. Maybe I should tell Carmen about that time in Kingsville..."

He grinned, saying, "That's cold mano..."

"Exactly."

As the drummer counted down, Benny waved his hand like he had burned it and mouthed, SHE'S HOT!

I damn near missed a note. He will pay, not as in me ratting his ass out, but he will pay for that.

Didn't stop me from mouthing back, I KNOW!

Unbeknownst to me, Lisa saw the whole damn exchange.

We kicked it into high gear knowing that this would be the last true rev up of the crowd. The first thirty minutes of the last set usually winds them to a fever pitch, and then, it's mellow time. Ease me down and leave me wanting more. It ensures that the band stays in their memories and brings me back the next time. They remember the great time they had, and it makes us look good.

I don't recall a better set by this band. We were tight! Transitions went smooth, and the crowd just loved it. Our harmonies even sounded pretty good, and that was usually a sore spot.

I snuck a peek at Lisa, and she was grinning from ear to ear. Again, she danced, but returned to the seat I left her in. She caught me looking and winked at me, which I returned. Benny caught me doing it, and threw a curve at me.

"Last call, folks. Maybe if the manager doesn't mind, and we can get our bass player to focus, we can play y'all one for the road."

Everyone in the band roared with laughter, and I turned red as a stop sign. Oh, he will pay...

"Oh Carmen..." I said.

Benny yelled, "Two, three, four..."

We kicked off the last song of the night. I got up close to Benny, and with a smile on my face told him, "You will pay, asshole."

"I'm sure I will. But, it's nice to see you getting back on the horse, mano."

"I'm not."

"Sure you are. You just don't know it yet, and that's why we're ragging your ass..."

I smiled. It had been a long time for that.

12