Shards of the One Pt. 03

Story Info
Emylia makes a farewell, a discovery, and a lover.
10.3k words
4.5
2.3k
00

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/08/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

BOOK ONE : AWAKENINGS

CHAPTER III

In which Emylia farewells her father, discovers the joys of one's own touch, and later, the joys of another's.

EMYLIA

Thunder. The waves pounded, and pooled in sucking, spinning whorls around the barnacled base of the ship, swirling at Emylia's ankles coolly, the sand tumbling in unseen crumbly slides about her feet, little pins of rain, the first few emissaries of the coming tempest, striking her bare arms and her face as her long ebon locks blew absurdly behind her, slapping against her back now and then, her shift leaping dangerously with each gust, threatening to fly up and altogether expose her, the sack of onions, reeking, rough, pressed against her stomach, shivers running the length of her pale body, her eyes struggling in the greasy lantern-light, the gangway crowded with sailors, ascending and descending noisily, stomping into the wet sand, momentarily stuck, ankle-moored, trudging undaunted for the next crate of ale, or bread, or fastenings, or a folded sail, or bundle of cloth, sweat shining faintly under the flame, the sails far above snapping fearsomely, the din of gulls and terns, wheeling about the masts, dim but incessant above the raging surf, the creaking of gangplanks, extended parallel into the sand, the shrieking of pulleys, rustflecked, burdened heavily with provisions, or goods to trade, swaying troublesomely in the whipping wind, howling, insatiable, ominous, amongst the boards and bulwarks, then lightning, silent, furious, throwing the horizon into sharp relief against the dark canvas of the sky, the lanterns and torches seeming briefly pathetic, thrusting instantly like a forked spear into the supine body of the ocean, the whitecaps ever wider, louder, heralding the storm, and thunder again, unfolding somewhere in the warping mass of clouds, and now the first mate bounding down the slatted gangway, unladen, beaming at the waifish girl, pale, slender, sodden, browneyed, searching the darkness.

"Miss Emylia," he spoke, in a voice that was rough, but warm, "Yer da is amidships, making ready fer to sail." He gestured backward, toward the looming ship, rather pointlessly.

"Thank you, Mr. Ithos." She inclined her head in a brief expression of deference. She hoisted the sack, the satchel strung over her shoulder sliding slightly as she clambered onto the boards.

The deck was crowded with seamen, busying themselves with ropes, arranging the sails, or lugging hefty boxes and barrels aboard. The doors leading below decks were flung open and sailors stumbled ceaselessly in and out. As they noticed her, they nodded politely and indicated toward the hold. Emylia stepped nimbly between them, surefooted. The sound of the waves, slamming the side of the ship, was deafening. It was impossible to decipher the yelps and barks of the men on deck amongst the ocean's roar and the endless thunder.

In the the warmth of the hold, shadows flared and flickered against the walls as men came and went, lanterns swaying precariously from beams. The sounds of the storm outside became strangely soft and subdued; the buffeting waves little more than a hiss, the crack of thunder dulled to a faint rumble. Still, she felt the fury of the maelstrom, turning and thrashing out on the horizon, bearing down on them. She felt the strange, potent energy of the storm swirling inside her. It was almost as though it was part of her, so intensely did it sear in her mind.

Suddenly, her father appeared, shirtless, his chest rippling as he shouldered a barrel. He wore his hair tied, the sides shaven, as was custom. The scar that split his cheek burned angrily, flame-lit. He moved sinuously, deliberate and apparently without effort, the men parting around him to clear his path. Setting the barrel down, he caught sight of his daughter, shivering in a mere night-dress, clutching her sack of vegetables.

Wordlessly, he motioned to a young man nearby. The man was younger than most of the rest, cleanshaven and barechested, his build lithe, but slim. He was, by sailor's standards, very handsome. She felt the dark eyes travel her body, unthreatening, curious. Her father strode across to her, took the sack from her gently. His gaze fell upon the satchel, the two bottles of Khyrrini wine - the parting gift from Mama. One was of red, the other of white wine. Lydea had slipped a small scrap of paper between them, which read:

In shadow, or in sun

Though parted, we are one

Emylia's father stared at the note, his face a mask. He replaced it, carefully, turning to the young man.

"Hmm." He coughed, calling him over.

The sailor set down the rope he had been securing and stepped slowly into the light. His features were sharp, his jaw strong. He could not have been much older than her, perhaps twenty. Perspiration flecked his hairless torso. Emylia was strangely intimidated by him, though it was not fear that ran through her. She felt inexplicably drawn to this mysterious, handsome youth.

"Leto. Show her to my quarters."

Leto made as if to take the satchel from her, but Emylia did not move. He hesitated, before gesturing back toward the stairs.

"Miss." She only nodded curtly. Her father was already amongst the men once more, quickly, calmly steadying and securing cargo. Leto moved to step past her, but the hall was narrow. His body brushed past hers, and she felt the firmness of his muscles, albeit briefly, through the thin fabric of her dress. He smelt of wood and sweat and oilsmoke, but to her surprise it was not unpleasant. She felt a strange, thrilling sensation run through her, flushing. It had felt strangely exciting, his muscled body pressed against hers, their nakednesses separated by but a little cloth.

Ashamed and caught off guard, she tried to suppress the strange sensation. Distracted amid the chaos of men bumbling to and fro, she nearly slipped on the slick, narrow steps. She felt herself falling backward into the hold, the satchel swinging out behind her. Leto was there. His hand suddenly caught the small of her back. It was warm, and she felt his strength behind it. She lingered a little too long, hesitating before retrying the stairs. His touch felt pleasant, but in an unfamiliar, intoxicating way. The tight ball of his bicep pressed against her shoulder as he steadied her. A nameless, formless rush swelled within her, ripples running through her body. His hand was improperly close to her waist. Between her legs she felt a strange, tingling desire. A new and desperate need.

"Careful, Miss."

"Thank you, Mr. Leto."

Above deck, the storm raged with ever greater intensity. Men hunched against the wind, loose ropes coiled and swung, and a hard rain began to pelt the sailors desperately preparing to set sail. Leto led her across the swaying deck, his broad shoulders gleaming in the strange half-light of cloud-strewn dawn. Emylia shivered once more, clutching herself in the freezing gale. She felt ridiculous, dressed as she was amidst the bellowing storm. She was painfully aware of her nipples standing achingly upright in the cold. She hoped none of the men would notice. But they were too busy, too desperate to focus on anything but the encroaching storm. By most reckoning, they had less than an hour before it rolled into the bay, by which time they would have to be well on their way if they had any chance of setting out. They were already behind time. On Kortini Island, the treasury and provisions stockpiled for winter were running dangerously low.

Every year, the menfolk of the island set sail for the southern islands and the Khyrrini coast. This year, however, winter had lasted longer than usual. And now, just as the winds became favourable, the weather temperate, the almighty storm had blown in from further north with its punitive rage. Emylia's father commanded the second-largest of the Kortini vessels, Dogfish, a proud, sturdy brig, barnacle-bearded and well-traveled. Her father had captained these men since before she was born. There were some new faces, in place of some old, but by and large he led the same loyal band of sea dogs. Emylia knew most of them by name. Every year, she saw them off as summer set them free, and every winter she welcomed them back onto shore, winter on their heels, newly laden with riches and cargo from far off lands.

Their adventures were rarely untroubled, but they always made it back to Kortini more or less in one piece. Today though, as sunrise broke blearily over the grimy cloudscape, Emylia had to wonder if they would even make it out of port. The wind was like an eager pup, nipping at heels, darting between legs, howling incessantly. All on deck bent against its insistence, performing a strange, arrhythmic dance, crossing the boards like ships tacking in a headwind. Leto led the way, cat-like in the chaos, helping her here and there past a hastily dropped crate or a mislaid bilgehook.

Presently, they arrived at the splintered doors of the captain's quarters. They were unlocked. Leto swung one open, his arm splayed, wresting it from the gale. Emylia ducked quickly inside. The door closed behind them with a woody thunk. Two small, lidded candles sprung from the wall behind the captain's desk, bathing the room in a soft, warm glow. Not wishing to tarry, Emylia hastily unshouldered the cloth satchel, holding the looped cord in both hands. The shelf on the rear wall seemed the appropriate place, an empty space clear in its top corner. Notes, ledgers and logs were strewn in apparent disarray across the desk and other surfaces, in that idiosyncratic way that makes sense only to the arranger- in this case, her father. Bracing against the desk's polished edge, she stood on tiptoe, struggling to slide the first bottle over the wooden facing that prevented the books and trinkets from spilling out as the ship rocked. After a few pathetic tries, she relented, embarrassed. She clutched the bottle to herself and did not turn to look at Leto. A long moment passed, and then he spoke gently.

"Let me help there, miss. Your father is a man of stature." He gave a little laugh, and she smiled.

"Yes, thank you, Mr. Leto. He is." But she did not move. Not knowing why, she remained still, holding the bottle at her bosom. Another moment passed before Leto was forced to step behind her to take the wine. She felt the heat of him against her, felt exhilaration wash over her, a long-buried longing surging forth, her blood in her head, in her chest like horses over cobble.

His breath was cool against the nape of her neck. He did not linger improperly, reaching smoothly to grasp the bottle at her chest. As he took it, she felt his thumb, his wrist, graze her breast, and she felt her throat tighten, her breath quicken involuntarily. Her breasts felt strangely sensitive and she longed for him to touch her. No.

Again, she fought to quash the feeling rising inside her, fought the weakness in her legs, the strange, wet sensation in her sex, the throbbing between her thighs, fought her thrashing heart, the tingling, cascading feeling warping and washing over her. Leto slipped the bottle carefully behind the facing and deftly grabbed the second. She did not dare move. She felt him, too close behind her. She almost thought she could feel his shaft, nestled against her buttocks as he leant forward. No.

She smothered the image, closing her eyes to it as if to close her mind. The second bottle slid neatly into place. Leto stepped back promptly.

"Sorry, Miss Emylia. To reach over you like that. "

"No," was all she replied, distant.

"Well."

"Yes."

They braved the fierce wind again, the rain now lashing the deck and pooling against the bulwark. Emylia's father stood on deck, soaked, indefatigable, marshalling his men. He yelled to Leto as they emerged from his cabin.

"Mr Leto! See to the topsail!"

The young man did as he was bid, bounding over the deck without a word. Emylia watched him, rain coursing down his spine, his taut arms working the lines. Her father strode across the deck to her, water streaming off him.

"Prepare to cast off!" he roared, to shouts of assent.

"Tell your mother-"

"Yes."

"Come winter, I shall return."

"Laden with gifts, father?" she teased.

"Perhaps. Be good. Take care of your ma."

"Yes, father."

They embraced, ever so briefly, and then he helped her to the gangway. Carefully, the rain sluicing from the sides, she clambered down to the shore. Her father paused, raised a hand in farewell. And he was gone.

There was little use in waiting to see them off. The rain was too thick to even see, she had to blink every few seconds to make out anything at all. She stumbled back up the beach, wending diagonally in the fierce wind. As she approached the dunes, the going became easier and she turned once more. The five ships were in midst of casting off, each in various states of disembarkment. Her father's ship already bobbed freely, the sails unfurled, turning in a wide arc as the wind caught them. Only Baron Cadus' enormous ship remained grounded, the gangplanks still firmly entrenched in the sand, the sails raised. Emylia stood at the crest of a dune, tussock grass whipping at her ankles, to watch a moment as they cleaved the waves and disappeared out to sea. She was soaked to the skin, her dress merely a vague effort at propriety now. The wend blew ever more fiercely and the peals of thunder advanced toward the shore, little eddies of sand leaping and spinning with each gust. Emylia took one last, long look before trudging down the dune, toward home.

As she negotiated the treacherous dunes, her mind wandered to the strange potency of whatever she had felt when Leto had pressed against her. She felt rushing excitement pulse through her again, her heart once more quickening. She had wanted him. Wanted what? The strange, unknown longing returned to her then and as she trudged back through the sand, shivering, she felt as though her legs would buckle. Between her thighs she felt an inexplicable desire to touch. Shameful, sinful thoughts blurred through her mind. She could not make sense of the longing feeling, but it would not relent. Perplexed, she gnawed the back of her hand, trying to quell the feeling again. The torrent had made a slurry of the dunes, and in places she had to clamber on all fours. Soon, though, the dirt path came into view, and the spindly trees, waving their arms woefully, offered a little shelter from the maelstrom. Here and there she leant against them and caught her breath. Leto, his skin, his heat, his voice, burned in her mind. Inexorable. She forced herself on, sick with the feeling.

Leaves spun and twitched furiously in the cracks of the shale path. The rocks shone, slick with rain and flashed brilliantly with each bolt of lightning. The house looked timid in the blowing gale, rain lashing the shuttered windows, the door rocking loosely in the jamb. Faint candlelight glowed from inside. Crossing the threshold, Emylia felt a burst of warmth from the hearthfire, jolly and crackling. Her mother, stewpot-hunched, looked over her shoulder.

"Darling. Mind those shoes, now." Emylia said nothing, breathless.

"Did they get off alright? It's a bloody tempest, no mistake. Your father. No sense of timing. Sit!" she clucked, decanting a small bowl of stew.

"No, Mama. I'm not well." She shivered, dripping.

"Oh, my girl. He'll be back before winter comes. You know that."

"I know." She made for her bedroom. "I'm soaked."

"Go rest, girl. The chores will wait."

She shut the door behind her softly, her heart pounding relentlessly. Her breath came in sharp little gasps. The feeling would not abate. It rushed through her, and she felt the desperate need to touch. To be touched. Shakily, she slipped out of the shift, her dark hair clinging wetly to her bare breasts. She laid down on the bed, atop the covers, wishing the dizzying feeling would disappear. Unconsciously, her hand wandered across her navel, trailing southward to the cleft of her sex. The feeling of her fingers poised above her cunt was delicious, impossible to defy. It felt right.

She did not know what she was doing, or what it was she desired so. But the deep, thrumming pleasure she felt as she ran her fingers around the lips of her sex was too powerfully, purely good to stop. She felt a wetness, deep within her, spreading warmly. Against her window the wind thrashed, incensed. The shutters slapped, the bolt rattling with the force of each gust. She could hear nothing but the roar of the rain against the earth. The charged air felt delectably cool on her naked skin. Her chest, boyishly flat, heaved, her breath halting, coming in tiny gasps and moans.

Toes curling with pleasure, her fingers explored the forbidden regions of her body, slowly, sensually. She clutched at the smoothness of her inner thigh, traced the swelling shape of those lips, found the little button that raised itself at the crown of her sex, soft and moistened. She bit her lip, fighting vainly to smother the groans and sighs that slipped from betwixt them.

She thought of Leto; his tall, muscular body against hers, his warmth, his smell. The way his voice vibrated through her when he spoke, his breath behind her ear. She imagined him touching her like this. His body against hers. She had never been with a man, had never even seen a man's naked body, save once or twice when her father forgot to close the door to the washroom. And yet, she wanted so badly, now, to be with a man. To feel him near her, to feel his hands on her body. To feel small next to him.

Growing more daring, she ran her first two fingers in tight, gentle rings above her mound, massaging her clitoris. It was an incredible sensory rush. If she knew nothing of a man's body, she was little better acquainted with the secrets of a woman's. Still, she was learning, rapidly. Voraciously. The strange language of sensations in which her body cried out to her was still new and unfamiliar, and she spoke back to it as a child does; one new word at a time. Involuntarily, instinctively, she arched her back as her lust blossomed, opening her legs like a flower and spreading her sex to the chill air. Total, beautiful agony. She bit the end of her left index finger to suppress the scream of ecstasy that threatened to burst out of her.

Outside, the storm finally arrived overhead, the walls shaking slightly with the turbulent winds. The rain pounded outside in an unceasing hiss. The air felt eerily still indoors. Thunder boomed, exploding in the heavens, impossibly loud, unfurling outward in the wake of each flashing stab of lightning.

But it might as well have been silence. Emylia's entire consciousness consisted of the electric pleasure that pulsed from her sex, her thighs spasming, her breath short with the exertion.

Leto. Leto's fingers against her skin. Against her breasts, her waist. Her sex. His lips. Leto.

She rubbed harder now, the contours of her sex becoming familiar, the sensation more natural. Her fingers worked wide, jerky circles, the tips resting against the nub of her clitoris. They were soaked now, so wet had she become. She threw her head back, enraptured.

Leto, breathing against her neck. His voice in her ear.

His weight upon her.

The feeling of her own touch was divine. Impossibly so. And yet she felt as though she needed more. How could something so wrong, so sinful, and so shameful feel so incredibly, inescapably, utterly right? So natural? Her fingers, ever so gently, ever so slowly, slid downward, over the hood of her sex, coming to rest at her cleft. She paused, hesitant. Tentative as a swimmer at the shore, she slipped the tip of one finger inside her wetness. It was slightly uncomfortable- almost invasive- but her desire would not be ignored. Its was the louder voice by far. She pressed further, imagining Leto's rough fingers doing the same, before discomfort forced her to withdraw again. Gently, she returned and withdrew, returned, and withdrew, testing her waters. Her sex was a warm slurry now, wetness dribbling downward, out of her. It clung, oleaginous, to her fingertips.