Shelter in the Storm

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alex the Cat
Alex the Cat
1,408 Followers

Andy shot him a glance and an almost visible smirk formed on her lips. Returning her stare to the short blonde, she asked, “May I speak with you a moment outside?”

Morgan couldn’t help but say yes because there was something that spoke to her when she looked into Andy’s eyes. She wasn’t sure if what she was picking up was sincerity or the overwhelming sadness that lay in Andy’s heart, or both.

They stood outside at the corner in silence for a few minutes. Finally Andy spoke up. “I wanted…to say…thank you for your help the other night.” She looked out onto the street to avoid eye contact. “It was…very kind of you to patch me up, make sure I made it home, and…. Well the fact that you cleaned my place blows my mind. It’s nice to have it a more livable habitat.”

“You’re welcome.” Morgan answered and then suddenly felt a powerful pull to be embraced in this woman’s arms.

Andy turned to face her. “I’m… sorry for my behavior.”

Morgan smiled, and said, “Thank you for coming to my rescue. If you hadn’t been there, who knows what would have happened.” She couldn’t understand why there were butterflies in her stomach when she didn’t even know this woman. But she was very aware of her body’s reactions to this tall beauty. “Um…I don’t know your name.”

“Andy.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you Andy.” She held out her hand, and as soon as it was taken, a surge of something unknown passed between them.

Andy felt her soul enveloped by a familiar peaceful and comfortable presence. The feeling was so intense that the concrete walls around her heart began to shake. Her eyes were about to betray her with the tears that were threatening to surface. She pulled back and the presence was gone.

Both women stared at each other not knowing what to say or do and wondering if they both had felt the same thing.

“Andy, um…I don’t mean to pry in any way… um… when I was cleaning your place, I noticed the books you had on one of the shelves.” Purely out of need, she placed a small hand over Andy’s heart. “I believe you’re hurting ---- and it’s killing you inside. I guess I’m saying if you want someone to talk to who won’t judge in any way, just listen --- I can be there for you.”

The tall woman’s mouth dropped in disbelief. This time the tears spilled out. She couldn’t handle her emotions so she ran off as fast as her feet could carry her.

Morgan quickly followed without any thought to her actions. Back at the familiar apartment, she found the woman kneeling at her bedside sobbing. Closing the door, she took a hesitant step forward. “Do you want me to leave?”

There was no answer.

She knelt next to her and wrapped an arm around the broad shoulders. “Would you like to talk? You can take your time.” She grabbed the box of tissues on the nightstand and put it within Andy’s reach.

Tear-filled blue eyes looked up at her. “I’ve never spoken to anyone about it.”

“You’re welcomed to speak with me. I’m a good listener.”

Andy sat on the bed with her feet up, knees bent and arms wrapped around her legs. She let her forehead fall onto her knees for a moment and sighed.

Morgan got up and sat next to her.

“Katie and I were working hard that one summer before college started. We wanted to be able to live in the dorms together and were excited about the new adventures of on campus living would bring. We had been together for a year and had a great relationship. She was always so sweet and kind and gentle, and I remember I had fallen for her right away.

“It was the last week of the summer and we thought about spending the day at the beach on our day off. We stopped by her place to pick up her bikini and other stuff.” Andy stared at nothing as she looked into the past to the memories she had tried to forget. “We got a little frisky in her bedroom. We lay on the bed kissing and giggling. I had taken off her shirt and bra and then…” Andy choked a moment.

Morgan rubbed her back in a soothing manner, and the powerful current they felt earlier had returned.

The peaceful presence helped Andy to continue. “Out of nowhere her bedroom door opened and her father was standing there. He didn’t know about Katie’s lifestyle. We jumped up, and she said in shock, ‘Daddy what are you doing home?’ His face was red with anger. I stood in front of her to protect her. He advanced towards us and then everything went black. The next thing I knew I was awakened with cold water thrown on my face, and found myself completely bound and gagged to a chair.

“I saw Katie sitting on the edge of the bed naked and crying. Her father stood there looking at me. ‘So you’ve been fucking my daughter. You’ve turned her into a dyke and made her a disgusting whore.’ I shook my head no in vain. ‘Now I’m going to have to turn her back. It’s your fault this has to happen.’ He shouted at me. He opened his jeans, and grabbing her by the hair he forced her to suck him.”

Morgan had her own tears now streaming down her face. She laid her head on Andy’s arm in a consoling effort.

“After a few minutes he pushed her away and yelled at her to get on the bed on her knees. She begged him to not do this in front of me. She said she’d be good, but he didn’t care. He backhanded her across the face and split her lip. He began to rape her repeatedly. I tried my hardest and damnedest to break free but there was no way I could. I don’t remember how many times he took her, but the final time was with an antique bottle of Coke that Katie had on her dresser as a keepsake from one of our first dates. I screamed and screamed when I saw the blood coming out of her. After she passed out and he came up to me. He yanked my head back and hissed into my ear. ‘Just remember that it’s because of you. Had you left her alone, I would have never had to teach her a lesson.’ Then he walked out.

“I sobbed and screamed so hard that I began to choke on my own phlegm. I don’t know how much longer time had passed when I saw Katie slowly awake and crawl to me. I thought she would release me so we could run out, but instead she dug through my front pocket for my little pocketknife. With tears falling down her bruised face, she kissed me gently and said ‘I cannot live after this ---- knowing what you now know. Please…remember I will love you always.’ With the knife she slit her throat. I cried out so hard that I was knocked over and fell unconscious.”

“Oh god Andy, I’m so sorry.” She hugged the woman tightly.

“I couldn’t get over what happened. I fell into a downward spiral of drugs. Anything I could get my hands on. I just wanted to be able to forget. My mom tried to get me help but I wouldn’t listen to her. Finally she dragged me kicking into the car to go to the rehab hospital. I was so high at that point I didn’t know what was going on. I grabbed the steering wheel from the passenger side and the car spun out of control in the street. Out of nowhere a truck hit us. My mother died instantly. I suffered from broken bones and a concussion. But the worst thing was knowing that it was my fault. She was my best friend. I loved her so much and I repaid her with an early death.” She cried uncontrollably.

The women leaned back onto their sides. Morgan spooned her from behind and just held her as Andy cried out her pain, and Morgan cried with her.

The young blonde unintentionally fell asleep in exhaustion. When she opened green eyes, she saw a pair of red-rimmed blue ones looking back at her. “I’m sorry I dozed…” A long finger upon her lips stopped her words.

Andy still had tears in her eyes, and as she gazed upon the short blonde she cried even more. “Thank you.” She managed to choke out.

They buried their faces in each other’s neck as they continued to hold one another. After a while Morgan had an idea.

“How about I make us some breakfast?” She looked at her watch. “It’s five a.m. so breakfast sounds good. Would you like that?”

Andy sniffled and wiped her face with the back of a hand. “I don’t have anything but cereal and milk.”

“I’m sure I can conjure up something. Let me take a look at what I find.” The refrigerator held two cartons of milk and a package of butter. She looked in the cabinets and found a couple boxes of cereal and some Kraft macaroni and cheese. Aside from those items, there really wasn’t anything else. “Well…”

“I said I didn’t have anything else.” Andy tried to smile.

“Okay, how about you come with me to my place? I’ve got everything for a spectacular breakfast. Plus it’ll be faster than going to the grocery store.”

“Naw, it’s okay. You don’t have to.”

Morgan knelt in front of the sad woman sitting at the edge of the bed. Reaching out a small hand, she cupped the tear stained cheeks. “Please let me do this? Plus I’m hungry and it’s no fun eating alone. I don’t live far from here.”

Andy looked into emerald eyes that spoke to her soul. She nodded her head in agreement.

***********

The quaint little house had a homey touch that felt good to Andy’s soul. She followed the short woman into the large bright kitchen. The back half of it had a slanted glass roof that blended into the large picture windows and sliding glass doors. It made the room look massive.

Morgan began pulling stuff out of the fridge as Andy took a seat at one of the barstools at the island to watch Morgan work.

“Is there anything you’re adverse to eating?” She asked while her head was still stuck in the fridge.

“As long as it’s not raw quail eggs on a bed of rice with sliced squid.”

Morgan stood up and gave her a coy look. “I guarantee I won’t be making that.”

Andy smiled shyly. “Is there anything I can do?”

“Sure, how about you chop the zucchini, onion, and red pepper. And I’ll get the coffee started. You drink coffee?”

“Yep.” She began slicing and suddenly her eyes drifted to the backside of the blonde woman. She didn’t realize she was staring at Morgan’s ass until the young woman turned around and stood there with an amber eyebrow arched up under her bangs. “Um… I… I… OW!” Andy dropped the knife and grabbed her hand.

“Oh no!” Morgan cried out. “Let me see.” She rushed her over to the sink to rinse the wound under cool water. “Damn, it’s still bleeding. Hold your finger like this and do it tightly, and raise your hands up higher. I’ll get the first aid kit.” She returned with the open box, and said, “Okay let’s get this fixed.”

Andy just stood there at the wonder once again of this woman’s kindness.

************

After breakfast, they sat back in their chairs patting their full stomachs and finishing the last of the coffee.

“Wow, I’m full. And I can’t believe how much you ate. I don’t know how you live on cereal.” Morgan commented playfully.

“It was all very good. What was that egg concoction called?”

“That was a zucchini and feta fritata.”

“Mmm, it was delicious along with the whole wheat pancakes topped with strawberries. You’re a great cook.”

“Thank you. How about we go into the living room.”

“Actually, I should get going. I have inventory work to do at the club, and I need to make sure there’s enough stuff available for tonight.”

“Okay.” Morgan walked the woman out and hugged her goodbye. “If you want to talk some more or go out for a drink, give me a call.” She handed Andy a business card with the shelter’s name on it.

Dumfounded, Andy looked at the card. “Shelter in the Storm, Pet Adoption. You work there?”

“Yeah.”

“Thanks.” She looked one more time into sea green eyes and felt her soul enveloped in that soothing balm. “Thanks for listening… and for breakfast.” She wanted to give her a friendly kiss but decided against it.

*********

The week had come and gone faster than Morgan expected. There were three adoptions, two dogs and one cat, which were the highlight of the week. She closed out of the spreadsheet file she had spent the afternoon working on.

“Sweetie darling, are you joining us for drinks tonight?” Jaime asked from where he was filing.

“Not tonight. I’m ready for a long hot bath and a book.”

“Okay darling, and you remember that I’ll be taking the graveyard shift starting tomorrow with Kris?”

“Yep, gotcha. Thanks again.”

“No problem.”

* * * * *

Andy lifted the weight once more over her head, and then switched the bench’s height to begin the chest pulls. For the past few days she’d been having dreams of Katie and she couldn’t understand why. These dreams were not like the nightmares of the past that were filled with pain and horror. No, these particular dreams were of a wholesome Katie in a beautiful white gown reaching out to kiss Andy’s cheeks. It was the same dream over and over. The first night it occurred, Andy woke up with tears. But now she just awoke puzzled at what the dream could mean. Tired from the workout, she decided to lay down for a short nap.

The mist lifted and in the haze a form appeared. It was Katie dressed beautifully in a simple white gown. Her long brown curly hair flowed gently behind her as she came closer. A smile was upon her face as she neared Andy’s face. Andy felt the kisses upon her cheeks and lips. Katie began to say something but it wasn’t quite clear. Then slowly she was able to make them out.

“Live Andy. Live for me. Remember the beautiful things between us. Live again. I love you forever.”

Andy jumped up in a sweat. She looked around the darkened room then rubbed her face. Katie had spoken to her and she heard it! She went to the fridge for a drink of milk. As she closed the door, she saw the business card under a small magnet on the freezer door. She pulled it out and decided to give the blonde woman a call.

“Hello?”

“Hi…um…Morgan?”

“Yeah?”

“It’s Andy.”

“Hi, how are you doing?” She said with enthusiasm.

“Doing good. The apartment is still clean, and I’ve been keeping up with my laundry.” She commented jokingly.

Morgan laughed. “That’s great.”

There was an awkward silence before Andy spoke up again. “Um…I was wondering if you’d like to go for that drink?”

Morgan smiled as she answered. “Sure.”

“I know a great coffee shop down on Roscoe Street. Can we meet in an hour?”

“That’s fine.”

***********

Morgan walked in and immediately saw Andy in the raised section where patrons sat on huge pillows on the carpeted floor. “Hi.”

“Hey.”

“It’s been a while since I’ve been in here. Do they still serve food?” Morgan asked.

“Yeah.”

She looked at the menu and was ready with her order by the time the waiter came by. “I’ll have an iced Thai coffee, two scrambled eggs with feta cheese, a toasted bagel with lox, and the hummus and pita dip.”

Andy smiled at the woman’s voracious appetite.

“So what’s going on?” Morgan asked.

“Nothing, I just thought you’d…like to get together.”

“Of course. How was your week?”

“Fine, nothing exciting. How are things at the shelter?”

“Well…”

They sat and talked for over an hour of the ins and outs of their jobs. The remainder of the evening was spent walking along the beach. Barefoot in the sand with the waves lapping at their ankles, they moved in a comfortable relative silence enjoying the presence of each other’s company.

“Are you still living on milk and cereal?” Morgan playfully asked.

“Uh…yeah. Why? I get my vitamins.”

“R-i-g-h-t, mmm mmm, nutrition from Tony the Tiger and Captain Crunch.” Morgan snorted jokingly.

“Hey….” Andy didn’t have a chance to finish her protest as Morgan took off running down the water’s edge. She ran after the short blonde and tackled her down into the sand. “Are you making fun of what I eat?” She straddled Morgan’s waist and began to tickle her unmercifully.”

“Ahhhhh…. I’m ticklish…. Stop…aacckk…hahahaha…please…can’t breathe.”

As their laughter died down, Andy felt a strong pull towards the lips before hers. Blue and green eyes silently conveyed their desire for contact. Andy slowly leaned forward without breaking her gaze, and their lips touched. Their kiss turned passionate as their eyes closed, and they didn’t care that the waves were dousing their clothes.

Suddenly in Andy’s mind’s eye, she saw Katie reaching out to kiss her and mouthing the words ‘live for me’. Andy broke away with a fright. “I’m…I…sorry.” She quickly got up and composed herself.

“Are you okay? Why are you sorry?” Morgan didn’t understand what changed. One minute they were laughing and exchanging fiery kisses, and the next minute Andy was upset.

“We better go. I’ll walk you back to your car.”

***********

The tall figure removed her wet clothing, put on a dry pair of Hanes underwear and a T-shirt, then fell onto her bed. She didn’t know what drove her to kiss the young blonde, but she couldn’t help herself. And then Katie coming into her mind had startled her. Was Katie angry? Why was she saying ‘live for me’? Andy lay there staring at the wall, and then questioned out loud, “What do you want? Why are you telling me to live again? What do you mean? I didn’t mean to hurt you Sweetie. I didn’t mean it.” Within minutes she drifted off to sleep.

The clock struck 3am.

In the gray fog drifted a figure closer and closer to her. ‘Andy, darling. Andy listen to me.’

‘Mamma? Is that you?’

The figure solidified in front of Andy. ‘Yes my darling girl.’

‘Mamma?’ Tears began to fall from blue eyes.

The stocky figure held out her arms and embraced her daughter tightly to her bosom.

‘Mamma, I’ve missed you so much. I’m sorry mamma. I’m so sorry. Forgive me for not listening to you --- for hurting you. Oh mamma, I miss you.’ Andy held on to the figure for dear life.

‘Hush now my darling child. I know you never meant any harm. I love you my dearest. I have been watching you, I hear your thoughts, and I know what you feel.’ She wiped at the tear stained face. ‘Now you listen to me. Are you paying attention?’

‘Yes mamma.’

‘You go to that girl. Yes that’s right. Don’t look surprised. I know who she is Andy. Remember that I see all that you do. You go to her and you love her, and you let her love you. Are you listening?’

Andy nodded her head.

‘You and Morgan did not meet by chance. We have known her for some time.’

Andy looked at her with a puzzled expression. ‘We?’

‘Yes, we. Katie and I. In fact Katie chose her because Morgan has a pure heart. You need to start living your life again Andy, and Morgan is the one who will provide the spark.’

A second figure solidified. She stepped up and touched Andy’s shoulder. ‘Hello my love.’

Blue eyes could not believe what she was seeing. ‘Katie?’

‘I have been trying to get through to you but you weren’t paying attention, so I asked mother to help.’ She smiled and cupped her love’s cheek.

Andy tried not to break down. ‘You told me to live again --- to live for you.’

‘Yes, Andy, I want you to stop this pain and guilt. You’re destroying your soul. You have such a beautiful spirit, and I want someone else to experience what I did with you. Love her --- give her your heart and live again. She will not disappoint you. Leave the past where it should be. I want you to be happy.’

Andy’s mother kissed her cheek and then Katie followed suit. ‘We need to go now.’ Mamma stated. ‘But know that we will always be with you, and you’ll see that in time the four of us will be together.’

‘But…?’

‘No Andy, there are not buts. Just live and love. We both love you dearly and we hear your thoughts.’ Her mother said before they slowly drifted and disappeared.

Andy jumped up from her dream. “What the…?” She couldn’t finish before she broke down sobbing. She could not remember how long before the tears finally slowed down. There was so much emotion ---- anger, happiness, frustration, and sadness.

She quickly dressed and was out the door, running down the street. Her feet didn’t stop until the sun rose over the horizon. Drenched in sweat, she fell to her knees at the beach, and screamed as loud as she could into the early morning air.

Alex the Cat
Alex the Cat
1,408 Followers