Shifting Sands

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wanda...Max is dead." Wanda stared at him blankly.

"What do you mean?"

"It appears he died while taking a nap."

"But that can't be."

"The sheriff and ambulance are on the way Wanda, I'm so sorry."

"Where is he, Lee?"

"He's...Wanda, he soiled himself I'm afraid."

"I don't care, take me to him please." Lee took her hand and led her out the backdoor and down to where Max was. When she saw him in the lounge chair her grip on Lee's hand tightened, but she didn't stop. When she touched Max and felt the chill in his bare shoulder and glimpsed the blue on the side of Max's face, she broke down and buried her face in Lee's shirt as he held her close.

Wanda and Lee were still near Max when Lee heard the siren and left Wanda with Max and moved toward the front of the house to meet the sheriff. The ambulance was right behind the sheriff's car and Lee led them all down to where Max was. Wanda was on her knees in front of Max crying, so Lee went to her to get her back far enough for the paramedics to see to Max. In minutes, Max was on the gurney and being carted up to the ambulance as Mel the sheriff stepped over to Wanda. Mel looked at Lee and just shook his head. Max was indeed dead. With the sheriff on one side of Wanda and Lee on the other, they went up to the house and Lee led them all into the empty maid's bedroom so they could have some privacy. When the sheriff came out from talking to Wanda, he went over to Lee just as Edna came wailing down the hall.

"Oh my God, I killed him. I didn't mean to...oh God, I'm so sorry."

Lee stopped her and held her close as he said, "Edna, it's okay you didn't kill Max."

"But you warned me about his heart and about me teasing him."

"Edna, I was just teasing you. Believe me the only thing you have done is give poor Max pleasure in his last hours." The sheriff was watching and listening closely as Lee said, "Edna, go into the solarium and get yourself a stiff drink and I'll be in there in a minute."

Mel waited a second and then asked, "What was that all about?" Lee explained it all to him and Mel said, "If this wasn't all so tragic, it would be funny. So that poor lady thought she had killed him with her flashing."

"That's about it."

"The wife said he had a bad heart, but neither of them realized it was that bad. Lee, I better get to town and see what I can learn there. Good luck Lee, and I'm sorry all of this had to happen."

"Thanks Mel. Needless to say, I'll be here if you need me for anything." Wanda came out of the maid's room where Lee had sent her to rinse her face, and went straight into Lee's arms again. For the next hour arrangements were made to get Wanda and their car back north, and Grace came racing down from home to help. Then Lee and Grace moved Wanda's things down to the maid's room away from the other well meaning guests. Before Wanda left the next morning, she and Lee went out to sit on the back porch and talk. Things were settling down a little bit but Wanda understandably was devastated. "Lee, thank you for everything you have done."

"I'm so sorry this had to happen. But Wanda, I'm so glad it happened while he was asleep."

"Do you really think that's what happened?"

"Yes, I'm sure of it. His book was across his belly just as you have described before. Had he been in distress the book would have been on the ground I'm sure." True or not, that seemed to help Wanda a lot.

"Thank you for telling me."

"When things settle down a little please call me. I like to think you are a friend and I'll worry about you until I hear from you."

"I will Lee, I promise."

Grace stuck her head out and said, "Wanda, your friend is here" and before long Wanda was on her way home to bury her husband. Grace stayed with Lee just a little longer and said, "Poor Lee, you sure have had a time of it too."

"I have to say I've never experienced anything quite like that before. I just hope Wanda will be okay."

"She'll be fine in time, but it's going to be pretty tough for her for awhile."

It was a good thing that it was almost time for Grant and Edna to leave anyway, because not surprisingly that tragedy put a damper on the last day of their stay. As they prepared to leave Friday morning, Edna went up to Lee and said, "Lee, thank you for being so understanding. I feel a little foolish about what I thought now."

"Don't worry Edna, we were all in a state of shock and not thinking very clearly. Please come back again."

"Of course we will."

Lee leaned forward and whispered in her ear, "And feel free to enjoy your freedom on the deck. Oh, and don't hesitate to call me again if you have a problem." Edna gave Lee a small cute smile and turned to Grant.

"Let's go home dear" and the two of them left.

Grace was watching and as Lee went inside Grace said, "You know Lee, you're almost as good with the guests as your aunt Amalie was."

"Thank you Grace, that's quite a compliment."

"It's because the old ladies love you."

"You really think so?"

"I know so."

"Too bad we don't get some younger ones in here more often." Grace just smiled in understanding and returned to her work.

Things settled down at the Sand Castle for the next couple of weeks. The guests that came and went were pleasant and easily cared for, but Lee found that he was looking forward to December and January when the Sand Castle would be closed.


Chapter Four


Wanda finally called Lee and said, "Lee, it's Wanda."

"Wanda, I'm so glad you called, you have been on my mind so much."

"Thank you for caring and thank you again for all that you did for me."

"How are you getting along now?"

"Oh you know, one day at a time. Max and I had talked about things after his last doctor's appointment, but none of us, including his doctor, expected this to happen for some time."

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

"I don't believe so. Maybe after time has worked its magic I can come down and see you and the Sand Castle."

"I hope you will. I just told Grace it was you and she sends her best as well."

"I'll be in touch again I promise."

"I hope so, take care of yourself." Lee hung up and just looked at the phone for a second. What would it be like to lose your loved one like that. How would he handle it had he been in her place? Then he shook his mind clear of those thoughts and almost laughed. By staying at the Sand Castle all of the time, there was little chance of that being a problem what with the majority of his guests being twenty years older than he was and almost all of them married.

Gil and Kala arrived quite late Saturday evening and Lee got them settled into room six, or the south room. When Kala looked around she smiled and said, "You know Lee, I think I like this room even better, it's more private being on the end."

"I think it's our best room actually and the outside steps take you down almost to the pool."

"I like that."

"Plus, the folks that had reserved the room next to yours for your second week won't be here so that's one week of even more privacy."

"Unless you get new guests."

"I doubt that will happen this late in the year. We don't get many last minute bookings now."

"Business going okay", Gil asked.

"Going very well thanks, and from the sounds of it you're very busy as well."

"You know how it goes, the wheels of commerce keep turning, and if you're not careful they'll crush you."

"That is true I'm sure."

"Listen we don't have much but can I offer the two of you a nightcap?"

Kala kissed his cheek and said, "We'd love one, in the solarium?"

"Of course. Take your time and I'll see you down there."

Lee was at the bar pouring himself a glass of wine when they appeared and sat at the bar. There was one other older couple sitting near the west windows but that was all. "Really quiet in here this evening."

"Most of our guests right now are of the older set and bedtime comes early. Now I can offer red or white wine, but not a lot of choice other than that."

"Oh red by all means" Kala said. The three of them talked for about half an hour and then Gil slid down to the computer and logged on.

"Gil can't that wait until tomorrow at least?"

"I just have to check my email and the stock market, it will only take me a minute."

She shook her head and said, "I guess that tells you what kind of vacation it's going to be this time." Lee topped off her glass and the two of them talked for another ten minutes while Gil clicked and mumbled and ignored the other two.

Lee raised his glass to her and said, "I'm glad to have the two of you back again."

"Thank you Lee. You always make it feel like we're coming back to see an old friend."

"You two make me feel like an old friend Kala."

Gil finally logged off and moved back over only to say, "I'm ready to go upstairs and get comfortable."

Kala tipped her glass back and took the last of her wine and said, "It's pretty early, but okay." After they left, Lee went over and talked with the other guests for a short time and then went to walk his rounds. He found a couple in the pool just standing there and talking in the near darkness. He waved to them and continued his circuit around the house.

Lee saw them again in the morning at breakfast and he talked to them as he made his morning rounds of the three couples. Then about ten o'clock Kala appeared alone and went to the kitchen in search of coffee. She reappeared with cup in hand and wandered out to the solarium and dropped into a chair to read. Lee appeared and asked her, "Where's Gil?"

She looked at her watch and said, "He's probably close to Raleigh by now."

"Not even one day's rest?"

"He said he'd be around tomorrow and the next day, but today he had to take care of business." Lee didn't even know what kind of business he was in and didn't ask.

"Sorry to hear that. Anything I can do for you?"

"I guess not. Is the pool heater fixed?"

"Brand new one and it works great."

"Then that's where I go next. I overheard at breakfast that you had a death here not long ago."

"I'm afraid so, a heart attack."

"That's so sad."

"It is. They were a nice couple. He had heart trouble, but it was still quite unexpected."

"That's why we should do what we can to enjoy life while we can."

"I couldn't agree more."

"What do you like to do for enjoyment, Lee?"

"Talk to you."

"Thank you, but I'm serious."

"So am I. In the winter while we're closed down, I go to Florida for a couple of months and regenerate, but then it's back here to get ready for the next season."

"At least you get away, where do you like to stay?"

"I always rent a place in Palatka on the St. Johns river."

"Sounds nice."

"I like it"

"I've always thought that you must have a lot of stories you could tell about guests past and present."

Lee laughed and said, "Well for the most part, they are older and a little more subdued, but yes on occasion, things get lively around here."

"Can you share any without violating confidences?"

"Oh, we've had marital spats where one of them would take off and leave the other one stranded here, we've had two couples arrive and then they would swap and leave as different couples. They have been back a couple of times."

"Older?"

"I'd guess fifty maybe."

"Curious." "The first time really knocked me back, but after that I just shrugged my shoulders."

"And the most outlandish?"

"That would have to be when six couples rent all of the rooms and for about five days go crazy."

"Oh, tell me more."

"How about more coffee first."

"I'd love some." He grabbed her cup but she said, "No I'll come with you" and followed him to the kitchen. He filled their cups and she sat down at the kitchen table. "Lee I'm anxious to hear about the antics of the six couples because my life is so boring, isn't that sad."

"I think it's a safe bet that most of us have lives that get boring and certainly almost all of us have lives more boring than those twelve people."

"Do they swap too?"

"That I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised."

Kala put her hand on Lee's and said, "Okay, give me an example of one of their days."

"Well one time they played some kind of game at the pool. I couldn't watch them all the time but one by one the women were thrown into the pool."

"That's not bad."

"Naked."

"Oh my God, really?"

"Really."

"And you watched them?"

"Yes, well I was discreet or at least I hope I was."

"Are these older people too?"

"No, they're more our age. I guess they really like the privacy here, especially with all of the rooms being rented by their little group."

"So it's the same six couples every year."

"For the last three years now."

"I'm glad they're having fun while they can. What else?"

"Oh, I've seen them naked many times, play tennis either naked or topless, play cards, and of course that involves different penalties. It's hard not to eaves drop, but I behave for the most part."

"So it's one big sex party."

"Actually I think it's one big tease party, but like I said, they might swap or whatever once they're in their rooms."

"I envy them in a way."

Lee smiled and asked, "Because they get naked?"

"No, because they have a lot of friends and they have found what works for them. They're enjoying life."

"They do enjoy themselves."

"I'm glad you don't...you know restrict them."

"As long as they don't damage things, or cause me trouble, I don't care what they do. Like you I guess, I kind of enjoy their antics. It's a vicarious thrill I think."

"I can understand that. I don't think I could get naked with five other couples though."

Lee let his hands slip from hers as he leaned back. "Depends on how much you've had to drink."

Kala laughed and admitted, "That would make a difference."

Lee emptied his cup and continued. "Like I said, most of our guests are older to a lot older. But that said, you would be amazed at the number of older women that like to sun topless, swim topless, and even tease other male guests."

"I'll bet that can get humorous."

"It can. But just a couple of weeks ago there was a woman of about fifty three or more that looked very nice and she called me up to her room to fix something and she was about one ounce shy of being nude."

"Lee, you devil, now I see why you like it here."

"Like I said though, it's a vicarious thrill only. So what do you like to do for fun?"

She looked at him for a long moment and then said, "I'm not sure and that's sad. I mean I love to come down here, but we both know that doesn't qualify as thrilling or exciting."

Lee laughed and said, "No, it is not thrilling around here as a rule. You live in Chicago, so I assume you go to plays and so forth."

"Oh once in a while, but that's not exciting. It's pleasant as a rule but pretty stuffy sometimes too. Believe it or not it sounds like you have more excitement in your life than I do. Gil is gone so damn much."

"Now that is sad. Well, if there is anything we can do for you while you're here to make it more pleasurable, let us know. Exciting might be a little beyond our reach, however. Now I guess I better go be a host and so forth." They both stood up and a moment later Kala put her arms around him and held him close.

"Lee, I hope you never give this place up." He held her and smiled as he said,

"I'll make you a deal. If you'll never stop coming to see me I'll stay right here."

"I just may start coming twice a year."

"If you do I'll name a room after you." She gave him a quick kiss and said,

"Now maybe I'll go try your new pool heater."


Chapter Five


Lee needed to go to town for some groceries, but he just wasn't in the mood for it, so when Grace mentioned wiping down the furniture on the second floor deck he said, "I'll make you a deal. You go get the groceries and I'll clean the furniture."

"Now that's a deal I can't pass up, but you better change your clothes first."

He looked down and nodded as he said, "Yeah, I guess I better" and he headed to his room. He tossed his Dockers, shirt and socks on the bed, and put on shorts and a ragged tee shirt and then some old sandals and headed for the utility room. Then with his pail of soapy, water, and sponge, he headed for the second floor deck. Starting at the north end of the deck he made his way past the rooms and down the line, washing tables, chairs, lounges and railings. When he reached the south end, he emptied what little water he had left over the railing and squeezed the sponge out. Then he noticed Kala at the pool. She was standing near the edge and lifting her arms over her head she pulled her wet hair back giving Lee a perfect display of her form. He was entranced and stood there staring at her. With her hair wet it seemed longer than he thought it was, but what caught him the most was how the sun seemed to sparkle and dance over the pool behind her and form a nice arc around her. He didn't even realize he was almost holding his breath. Then she moved to one of the lounges and lay back as he watched her. Her bright fiery red bikini jumped out against the white pool lounge and her medium tan seemed much darker now. He realized that he was staring hard at his favorite guest and stepped back. But his eyes defied him and stayed focused on her until he could see her no longer. He shook himself out of his fog and retraced his steps taking the pail and sponge back to the utility room but he was too late. Her image was burned into his mind now.

It was another hour before Grace returned and started to fix Lee some lunch. Want me to fix enough for Kala?"

"Yes, if you would. I'll go find her and invite her." He stopped and looked at Grace. "Now what made you ask me that?"

"Well that's how it was the last time they were here. If Gil was gone you two had lunch together."

"You have a pretty good memory."

"And you are pretty predictable." Lee knew Kala wouldn't still be at the pool so he checked the solarium and the lower deck to see if she was reading, made a pass through the living room and den and then went upstairs. He knocked on her door and waited a second before knocking again. He heard her ask faintly who it was and Lee said, "It's the caterer."

"Come in Lee, and I'll be out in a second." Lee let himself in and feeling just a little funny standing there waiting for her to emerge from the bathroom moved on to the deck. He was standing just outside of the sliding door when she emerged and

said, "Sorry, I had to do something with my hair."

"Sorry to intrude, but I wondered if you would join me for lunch."

"Lee you don't have to feed me. Gil left me the rental car and I know how to get to town."

"But then you have to eat alone and so do I."

"Then thank you of course I'll join you." They stood there looking around and she said, "Looks like it might rain later."

"They're calling for it."

"God, I love it here, Lee. I just wish the town wasn't so far away and so small."

"Well there's Morehead City and that's not as small."

"But how far away?"

"About twenty miles."

"Not too bad I guess."

"I've gotten used to it."

"Anyway I love to be out here and enjoy the sun and the view."

"It is nice. In fact, you can look down on the pool from this end."

"Yes, I know." He looked at her and she smiled as she said, "I saw you up here washing the railings."

"And looking down at you."

She smiled as she asked, "Were you?"

"I'm afraid so. Not very professional of me was it."

"I'm flattered, not offended." She looked down at the lounge near them and asked him, "Is this where the woman was almost naked for you?"

"That's the one."