Shooting Matt Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Turbidus
Turbidus
1,090 Followers

"Okay, sure. Of course," Lee stands. To Matt's utter surprise he pulls off his shirt. He stoops and lays it over Matt. "It's not much but laying here, in the damp you're going to get cold." He stands again, scanning the area. "Goddamn it," he mutters to himself. "Everything is fucking wet." He jerks his running shorts off and squats again. He balls them off and very carefully lifts Matt's head. "Here, at least your face won't be in the mud. I'm not a very fast swimmer but it isn't too far. I'll have Glenna rustle up some help and head back here with the boat and some blankets."

"Sure," Matt mutters. The electric feeling in his legs has faded but pulses of pain radiate from the lower part of his back. He just wants Lee to go, to get help and leave him alone.

***

Liam half hears Matt and Lee take off, running up the trail past the house. He tries to let his body fall back into sleep. It doesn't work. He pictures himself leaning over a high precipice, just a bit further and he'll be past the tipping point. Before he reaches that point, he jerks himself back. He pushes his face into the pillow and groans in frustration.

He should have gone with them. He's awake anyway. And he's fucking starving. He throws the sheet back and rolls out of bed. He jerks on his shorts, tee shirt and tennis shoes. He runs his hands through his hair and steps outside onto the porch. He has the same reaction as Matt, surprise that the misty air feels warm. He sees the empty Corn Nuts bag and the granola bar on the table and smiles. The granola bar does nothing more than remind him that he's still hungry.

He starts down the hill toward the clubhouse. He's not sure what time it is or if it's open or if there's any hope for breakfast, but it's worth a shot. He rounds the corner of the building and grimaces when he sees the "Closed" sign in the window. He's turning around when the window above him opens.

"Hang on, Liam. I'll be right down."

Before he can tell her it's okay, not to bother, Glenna disappears and the window closes. A moment later she's unlocking the door for him.

"Come on in," she tells him. "Hurry, I want to lock back up before someone thinks we're open."

He ducks inside and she closes and locks the door.

"Come on up," she says as she turns and heads towards the back of the room, beyond the countertop desk. He follows her up a flight of remarkably squeaky stairs. The upper floor apartment is a surprise. The furniture is more modern than cabin. The walls are adorned with paintings; most are watercolors but some appear to be oils. Many are of the lake, or a lake, but some have a stark industrial feel.

Glenna follows his gaze and smiles. "Like 'em?"

"Yeah, they're really good."

"Lee painted 'em. I keep tell him he should try to sell them but he won't listen. You want some coffee, hon? Maybe something to eat? I don't imagine you've had time to get to Kroger's yet."

"Coffee would be great. Thanks."

"Nothing to eat?"

"No, I'm fine." At that moment Liam's stomach emits a long, slow, roiling growl that can probably be heard in the next county. He blushes.

"Uh-huh," Glenna smiles. "How do you like your eggs? I'm making 'em for myself, so it's no trouble."

"Over easy, but, seriously, you don't have to."

"Nope, I don't. But I'm going to all the same. Sit down." Glenna turns toward the small kitchen. Liam tries not to notice how even the dim morning light streaming in from the window above the sink shines through the threadbare, over-sized tee shirt his hostess is wearing. "So, you had more brains than to go off running up and down the hills with my husband. I knew you were smart the first time I meet you. I take your honey went with him?"

"He's not my honey," Liam says, surprising himself.

"You sure? Y'all looked pretty tight last night."

"It's complicated."

Glenna laughs out loud as she cracks an egg into the skillet. "Hon, what the hell in life isn't? Get used to it." She shakes her head. "Get used to it," she repeats, no longer laughing. She wipes her hand on a towel lying on the counter and drops four slices of bread into the toaster. "Liam, pour us a couple glasses of juice, would you? And hand me those sausage patties out of the fridge; I'm hungry this morning."

Liam rises and does as he's asked. She grabs another skillet for the sausage. Liam doesn't return to the table. He leans against the counter and watches as she moves the sausage patties around the skillet. The eggs get flipped. The toast pops up.

"Butter the toast, would you?"

"Sure." Liam grabs a plate from the dish drainer and quickly butters the toast.

"There's strawberry jam or apple butter in the fridge. I'll take apple butter, please," Glenna says, as she slides two eggs onto a plate. She repeats the process, forks two patties onto each plate and hurries to the table.

Liam can see the silhouette of her pussy through the tee shirt. He can see her nipples as well. He searches his feelings. Is he uncomfortable? Maybe a little. Is he turned on? Not really. Is she teasing him? He doesn't think so.

She either catches him looking or reads his expression. She looks down at herself.

"Oh crap," she sighs. She sets the plates down. "Sorry, hon. After last night, I didn't think you'd be bothered."

"I'm not," Liam tells her, only lying a little. "I'm the one who should apologize for staring like that."

"No, you don't. I shouldn't have presumed." She gave him a close look. "I'm not trying to 'Mrs. Robinson' you are anything, hon. Okay?"

Liam nods.

"Alright then, dig in."

They eat in silence. After what seemed to be no more than a couple of minutes, Liam was astonished to find himself moping egg off his plate with a piece of toast. Glenna was smiling at him. An egg, a sausage patty, and a piece of toast remain on her plate.

"Help yourself to more coffee," she tells him, stabbing the remaining egg with a corner of toast.

Liam is pouring coffee when they hear the door below slam open. Lee is hollering for Glenna as he bounds up the stairs. He stands at the top of the stairs, naked, dripping water.

Glenna's chair tips and falls to the floor. She's holding the toast, yolk dripping in slow motion from its corner. Fear makes her nearly unrecognizable. Lee gives no sign of noticing Liam.

"Call the fire company, Glen. Tell them to meet us down at the dock with an ambulance." He doesn't pause as he runs along the short hallway and ducks into their bedroom. He comes out carrying several blankets.

"Lee, what's wrong?!" Glenna demands.

"Liam, run downstairs and over to the pool. The combination is 1-2-3-4-star. Grab the backboard and head to the dock. Glen, after you call for the ambulance, bring the pontoon around to the far side of the rockslide. You know where I mean?"

"Of course, but what's wrong?" Her voice is strong. She still fears fear on her face but she's not surrounding to it.

"Matt. His hurt. I'm not sure he can walk. I'm taking the ski boat back with these blankets. He's only wearing running shorts. He's going to get hypothermic, laying there in the mud."

"What the fuck happened?" Liam demands.

"Go! Dammit, get that board and meet me at the dock. We can play twenty questions later."

Liam follows him down the stairs as Glenna reaches for the old school, wall-mounted phone.

***

The idea that he could die competed with the idea he might be paralyzed. Even shivering, which started before the sound of Lee's splashing faded behind the rocks, sends ripples of red-hot needles racing down his legs. He is no more able to control his shivers than he is the fishbone of fear lodged in the back of his throat.

He distracts himself by being pissed - not at Lee, at himself. Why had he baited him like that? Because he had been pissed, again not at Lee. He was pissed at himself. Pissed for letting himself be talked into walking away from Randy so easily. Pissed at how hard it was not to think of Liam and how good it had felt waking up beside him. Pissed at Randy for suggesting it. Pissed at Liam for 'talking' him into it. None of that was true. He had done what he wanted to do. He was pissed at himself and he'd taken it out on Lee.

Who the fuck was he to question how Lee dealt with his life? What an arrogant little prick he'd been. He is pissed but not so pissed he feels like he deserved this. He wants Lee to get back. He wants the pain to go away and he wants to walk into the shower after a doctor tells him he is fine. He takes a deep breath and wiggles his toes.

He would have sighed with relief, his toes had moved, but the sigh was swallowed in the pain that shoots from his lower back and exits through his belly button. He imagines he can see his pain, a Roman candle of bright red and purple, arc away over the top of the trees and explodes over the steel grey water of the lake. He is so distracted by the pain he doesn't notice the sound of the boat until it rounded the rocks.

***

As the boat rounds the rockslide that juts into the lake, Liam spots Matt lying on his side. He jumps out of the boat before Lee has a chance to kill the engine and let the boat drift to the bank. The water is deeper than he expected and he goes under. He comes up spluttering and coughing. Lee bites off a curse as he jerks the wheel. He barely misses running Liam over. He grounds the boat, grabs the blankets and steps out of the boat carefully, not wanting to risk a fall and wetting the blankets. Even so, he wades ashore at the same time as Liam.

Liam skids to a halt and drops down beside his friend. "What the fuck happened?"

Lee stands behind him, holding the blankets to his chest. His face is white.

"Practicing my diving," Matt replies. His smile twists into a grimace as his back seizes up. "I was goofing around on the rocks and slipped, brah. Please don't tell me I'm stupid until I get some really good shit for pain, okay?"

"Fucking idiot," Liam hisses but his voice conveys only fear.

Lee stares at Matt and slowly shakes his head. Before Matt can stop him, he speaks. "He didn't slip. I punched him and he fell."

"You what?!" Liam cries, jerking his head around to gape at the older man.

"I punched him." Lee's voice is level. He squats. "First, help me get these blankets over him. He's got to be cold laying on this damp ground." Liam stares at him. "Later," Lee snaps. "Help me with the blankets."

Liam glares but reaches for one of the blankets. They quickly cover Matt with the blankets, tucking them in as best they can without making him wince in pain. Lee kneels behind the man on the ground.

"Matt, any pain in your neck or head?"

"No, just my back where I landed on that damn rock." He starts to turn his head to look over his shoulder but Lee's hand on the side of his head stops him.

"Don't turn your head," he snaps. "Lie still."

"Why the fuck did you tell Liam you punched me? What the fuck good does that do? Besides, I sort of had it coming."

"No, you didn't. So, don't say that," Lee snaps. "Ever. No one has 'it coming'."

He presses against the knobby protrusion of the highest vertebrae on Matt's neck. "Does that hurt?"

"No," Matt whispers.

"Not at all?"

"No. It's fine."

Lee works his way down Matt's spine. His touch grows more gingerly, more cautious as he works his way down. He's nearly to Matt's waist when the answer changes from "no" to "yes".

There are three vertebrae in a row that elicit an affirmative response. The middle one of the three elicits a sharp intake of breath, followed by a soft groan of pain. Lee presses his hand on Matt's hips. The hips don't hurt but the slight movement does.

"Can you feel this?" Lee asks as he pushes the blankets off Matt's legs and brush the skin of his right thigh.

"Yes."

Liam watches as Lee brushes his fingers over Matt's legs, going from side to side, all the way down to the bare ankles above the tops of the running shoes. Matt reports he can feel every touch.

"Okay, good. Good," Lee sighs and sits back on his heels. He puts one hand on Matt's head. His own head drops, chin resting on his chest. To Liam, it looks as if he's giving a blessing.

Liam doesn't give a shit what it looks like. He reaches across Matt and shoves Lee away. "What the fuck do you mean you punched him?"

"Knock it off, Liam. Please," Matt whispers. "We can talk later. It was an accident. Honest, brah. Just an accident. He didn't mean to hurt me. It was just a punch. I've been hit a lot harder. I just lost my balance. That's all."

"No, that's not fucking all," Liam snarls. His stands up, fists clenched.

Lee looks at him mildly and holds his hands up, making it clear he won't fight back. Liam's fists relax; the anger in his eyes does not.

"How's the pain, Matt?" Lee asks, turning his attention back to the man on the ground.

"Not too bad, unless I try to move." As if testing his own words, Matt straightens his legs. His breath catches but he doesn't stop.

"Don't move!" Lee cries.

"Lee," Matt pants. "I'll need to move at some point. It's not as bad as before or I'm getting used to it."

"Just wait until we get you on the back board. Please." Lee looks up at Liam. "Liam, can you grab the board out of the boat?"

Liam stalks off to the boat without replying.

"You shouldn't have said anything," Matt sighs.

"Confession is good for the soul," Lee replies.

"It's not yours I'm worried about. It's his," Matt snaps.

Lee nods. "Fair enough. For what it's worth, I'm sorry."

"Yeah, sure." Matt sighs. "Me, too. I don't know why I was riding you like that."

"Because I was questioning your motives and because you tumbled to the fact that I'm a coward."

"No, I didn't. I have no right to judge. I'm not out to my parents and the world is a lot more forgiving now than it was when you were my age."

Lee shakes his head.

"How are we going to do this?" Liam demands.

"We aren't. We wait until Glenna gets here. Then we can move him safely."

"I don't think so," Matt grumbles. "I'm sick of this shit." Before either man can stop him, he tries to sit up. He makes it half way and stops, taking deep breaths.

"Are you crazy? You might have a busted spine!" Lee yells, reaching for him.

"My legs are fine. It's my back that hurts," Matt snaps back. He doesn't mention that moving has started up the pins and needles feeling in his legs again. "Put that board down beside me," he directs Liam.

"Matt, listen to Lee. He seems to know what he's doing."

"Dude, please, just put the board down, okay?" Sweat pops out on Matt's forehead.

Liam does as he's asked.

"Help me get my ass on the thing," Matt pants. He's holding himself up with his left hand, resting on his elbow. "Wait, will that thing fit behind me? Is there room?"

Liam picks up the board and moves it behind his friend. "Dammit," he curses. "Not quite."

"Hang up," Lee offers, studying the rock and the board. "This might work better anyway. Let the board lay back on the rocks. Liam does as he's asked. The board is at roughly a thirty-degree angle. "This way Matt can roll back on to the board," Lee explains. "Then you and I can ease it to the ground." He kneels behind Matt. "Liam, hold the board steady with your knee. Matt, I'm going to steady your lower back by holding on to your hips, and Liam will steady your shoulders. Try to let us do the work. Liam, we'll roll him back, slowly on the count of three. Try to keep his shoulders perfectly aligned with his hips. Okay?" Liam nods. Matt grunts. "Here we go then," Lee tells them and begins to count.

Matt gives a sharp yelp of pain as they begin to roll him. "Don't stop," Lee tells Liam. Matt pants, as they continue to roll him. It seems forever before he feels his back connect with the wooden board. They let him rest, lying mostly on his back, atop the board.

"Okay," Lee tells them, after Matt's breathing slows. "Liam, take a hold of the board. We'll lift the front and slide the back down the rocks until the board is resting on the ground. Ready?" Liam nods. The front edge of the board catches on a rock. When they lift the board up to clear the rock, the back slides down the large rock behind it and thumps to the ground. Matt doesn't cry out but his face grows pale and sweat breaks out on his face.

"Dude, you okay?" Liam asks, leaning over his friend's head. "I'm fucking sorry. It slipped. You okay?" He starts to cry.

"Don't be such a fucking pussy, brah," Matt teases through clenched teeth. He reaches up with his right arm and cups the back of Liam's neck, pulling him closer. "It's okay, Liam," he whispers in his friend's ear. "It's okay. You guys had to get me on this fucking thing. It fucking hurt but it's done. Look," he tells his friend. "Look at my feet."

Matt's legs hang off the end of the board. He moves his feet up and down, bracing himself not to wince. It doesn't hurt as much. Being on his back instead of his side is definitely better. He pulls his knees up, resting his feet on the ground.

"Matt, goddammit quit fucking moving!" Lee yells, literally pulling at his hair in frustration.

"Relax, my man. Relax. This feels better. Liam hand me those shorts," Matt asks, nodding toward the running shorts Lee had tucked under his head. He takes them from Liam and very carefully pushes it under the hollow of his back, trying, and mostly succeeding, not to tighten up the muscles in his back.

"Matt, please. Lee's right. Please, quit moving around. For me? Please?" Liam has snot dripping from his nose. His eyes are red and frightened.

Matt reaches up with his left hand and wipes Liam's nose, then wipes his hand on his running shorts. "Jesus, brah. You're a fucking mess. Lee?"

"Yeah, Matt?"

"That hick ambulance have room for two? Liam is having a melt down or something. And dude, couldn't you find any shorts? Your schlong is kind of distracting."

"Fuck you," Liam snaps and then rests his head in the crook of Matt's neck. Matt rubs his friend's head with his left hand. If there's still a little snot on it, well, Liam's in no position to complain, is he?

"Here comes Glenna," Lee says standing and turning toward the lakeshore. The sound of the boat grows louder. "Liam, keep Matt company. I'm going to pull the ski boat over, give her some room and help her tie up the pontoon.

He hurries toward the shore.

"Seriously, Liam. I'm fine, dude. My back hurts like a bitch but I'm fine."

Liam shakes his head against his friend's neck but doesn't speak.

"What the hell happened?" Glenna asks as she hurries to them.

Matt squeezes Liam's neck, hard. "I fell on the rocks. Stupid."

"Can you move your legs?"

"Yeah. I just bruised my back, I think. Hurts though."

"Okay, honey pie. Lee's taking the front gate off the pontoon so we don't have to lift you so high." She reaches over and brushes Liam's hair, above Matt's hand. "You okay, hon? He's going to be fine. Lee used to work as a paramedic. He'll take care of Matt."

"Take care of him?!" Liam cries, jerking his head up. His face is so twisted with anger that Glenna sits back on her heels as if she's been shoved. "He did this. Lee. Matt didn't fall. Lee punched him. Knocked him down. That's how he fell."

"What?" Glenna asks, astonished. "Lee? I've never even heard him raise his voice."

"It's not that simple. It was more of an accident than anything and I pissed Lee off by being a total dick." He turns his head to look at Liam. "Dude, I told you to drop it. You aren't helping. Okay? Later."

Lee joins them. "Come on. Matt, you can tell them what happened, all of it mind you, on the way back. I'll take the ski boat. Glen, go slow babe. I don't want to bounce him. I'll follow behind so you don't have to go through my wake. Just let 'er idle. That'll do it."

Turbidus
Turbidus
1,090 Followers