Silver Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CantC54
CantC54
84 Followers

A half hour later, a black van pulled into the lot and a woman slowly walked toward my body after first speaking to the arriving officer. She leaned over and pulled the sheet from my face, reaching under the sheet with a stethascope. She placed the sheet back over my face and began speaking to the detective. Minutes later, a man with a black body bag appeared. I certainly wasn't sticking around for this, and I had no plans of going with them. I knew where they were heading, and I didn't want to be any part of that.

I didn't know where to go, what to do, or where I belonged. I decided to begin walking through the parking lot for the mile and a half journey home. I walked through the front door and sure enough, Misty was lying on the sofa! I always knew she slept there because every time I returned home, I felt the sofa and the warm spot where she laid. She suddenly raised her head and looked at me. I looked at her graying muzzle and eyebrows with a smile and said, "Hi Misty-girl, I finally caught you!"

Her head cocked to the side and her tail lightly thumped on the cushion. I walked over to her and scratched the top of her nose. She let out a sad whimper and dropped her head between her paws. "It's OK, girl, I'm alright. don't be sad my beautiful pup."

I heard several doors slam and looked out the front window. three of my sisters and brother-in-laws were racing across the lawn as tears poured down their faces. The sound of a key opening the door along with wailing cries filled the room as the door bounced against the wall after swinging open. My older sisters Lauren, Kimberly, and their husbands, along with my younger sister Rose and her husband Matthew entered the room. Misty didn't leave the sofa to greet them as she always had, she just laid there with her sad eyes looking up from between her paws and whimpered. Rose knelt before the black lab and as her body shook in despair, she cried, "You...already... You...know...don't...you?"

She buried her face into Misty's long, silky black nose, wrapping her arms around her neck and cried uncontrollably. "Your...daddy... Your...dad...dy...isn't coming...home...Misty..."

Matthew knelt next to her and put his arm around her shoulder as the tears trickled down his pale face. I heard several more doors closing and watched as my family arrived in various stages, watching in horror as two of my sisters husband's held onto my mom and guided her inside. She looked weak and frail as they entered the house, but when she looked over at Misty lying on the sofa with Rose hugging her tightly, her legs gave way and she collapsed in my brother-in-law's arms. They quickly carried her to the loveseat and laid her on a pillow while they waited for the ambulance after calling 911. "Mom, I'm alright, I'm right here, Mom, it's alright, I'm alright," I whispered as I ran to her and held her head in my hands. "It's alright, Mom, you can wake up," I continued as I stroked her pale face. Color began to return to her face as she opened her eyes and stared at me.

"Mom, can you hear me?" Lauren asked as she sat holding my mom's head.

I couldn't watch any more, and thought that I best leave the house. I knew that my mom was going to be alright, and I had the feeling that I needed to be elseware. I walked over and kissed Misty on top of her head as she laid still on the sofa, not moving an inch. She looked up at me with her sad brown eyes and whimpered one last time. "It's OK, girl, I'll see you soon," I whispered before leaving my home for the last time.

A patrol car and ambulance pulled in front of my home as I walked across the front lawn. They raced from their vehicles, up the front steps, and into my house. I stopped and looke back at the red brick steps where Misty and I sat on that warm July evening when my sweet Marlene walked down the sidewalk on her way to meet me. "My sweet Marlene," I thought, "I need to find her."

I glanced up to the front window and saw a long black nose staring at me. I gave Misty one last wave goodbye and walked away.

I walked to Mrs. Cassidy's house and watched from across the street as she made her way down her steps to an awaiting car, guided by a patrol officer and I'm guessing Marlene's cousin. Tears streamed down her face and the sounds of her cries could be easily heard along the street. "It wasn't time yet," I thought as they entered the car and pulled away. I knew where they were going and had the overwhelming feeling that the emergency room didn't need me at this time. I crossed the street and entered Marlene's house. the silence was deafening as I stood in the living room. I felt myself being drawn down the hallway to Marlene's room. As I walked through the doorway, I could smell the familiar scent of her perfume. Staring inside, I walked over and ran my hand across the unkept bed. I was drawn to her dresser where I found myself face to face with the picture of me and Marlene at the "LOVE" statue in Philadelphia which we had taken before attending the wedding last September. "My God she is beautiful," I whispered as Marlene stared back at me with a vibrant, glowing smile. "Marlene, I didn't leave you, Sweetheart, I was stolen from you," I whispered, "I promised I would never leave you, and I promise you now, I will always be with you," I continued, wanting the tears to rain down my face without success. I picked up the picture and kissed it, placing it back on the dresser before falling onto her bed and burying my face into her pillows.

**********

**********

The next morning found me in the kitchen where Mrs. Cassidy and Marlene's cousin Donna sat, drinking coffee and speaking in a low whispering tone. "Sure, I'll have a cup of coffee, Mom," I said, receiving no reaction from the women as they sat with sadness in their eyes and spoke.

"I phoned the hospital and was told she was still sedated," Mrs. Cassidy cried. "They told me that they had to restrain her because she kept trying to pull the tubes from her arm throughout the night; she kept calling for Michael," she continued, placing her head into her hands and shaking.

"It's OK, Mom, I'm right here, I'm right here... Marlene will be fine, I'll take care of her, I promise," I said, placing my hand on her quivering shoulder and rubbing it softly.

I drove with them to the hospital later that morning and as we were about to enter, I stopped as they continued through the door. It wasn't time, I had something else to do first.

**********

**********

Later the same evening, I entered the doors of the hospital and walked straight to the elevators. An elderly woman waited beside me, clutching her rosary and whispering a prayer to herself. The bell rang and the doors opened, letting out a young child in a cast arm, along with her parents. I let the older woman enter. I didn't know why I was taking the elevator, I didn't need to do so; I knew where I was going and after giving it a bit of thought, could have just appeared at Marlene's room. I looked to the woman beside me. She stared into my eyes and a tear trickled down her cheek. "I'm alright," I told her, "And your husband will be alright too," I said, leaning over and kissing the tear from her face.

A patrol officer stood guard at the door as I approached. I stood outside the doorway of Marlene's room and heard her mom speaking to someone. "She won't wake up, they took her off sedation and she still won't wake," she cried to the person in the room with her.

I took a few steps and stood in the doorway, facing my beautiful Marlene as she lay silently sleeping. She looked so peaceful, her eyes closed and her breathing shallow. The rhythmic sound of a heart monitor beeped slowly and steady as she slept, an oxygen tube attached to her nostrils supplied the pure air that her body craved. I stepped inside and looked to my right. "Hey there pup!" I exclaimed, looking down at Misty as she laid at Mrs. Cassidy's feet while she spoke to my sister Rose. Her head lifted from the cold tile of the hospital floor and tilted as I spoke. I looked back to Marlene and noticed her arms and hands were strapped to the bed. I walked to her side and heard the heart monitor give a few quick beeps. I patted the bed and said, "C'mon pup."

Misty quickly raised from the floor and leaped on the bed, laying her head on Marlene's chest. "Misty, no!" Rose called out as the beautiful Lab broke from her grip.

"Nice job, old girl," I said, pleased with her agility, "You know, it should be my nose there instead of yours," I laughed while giving her a little scratch on her head. The heart monitor increased with activity as Misty laid atop Marlene.

Leaning forward, I began to stroke Marlene's hair and the monitor rapidly increased in speed. Two nurses raced into the room as I leaned over and kissed Marlene's pale cheek.

"Get that thing off the bed," the older nurse ordered.

Misty didn't flinch as the woman's scream filled the room. The monitor raced wildly as my lips touched Marlene's soft delicate cheek. I whispered in her ear, "It's time to wake up, Beautiful, you've been sleeping long enough."

Rose was struggling to remove the faithful Lab from Marlene's bed. Misty stretched and nuzzled her nose into the nook of Marlene's neck. "Now that's just not fair," I whispered with a laugh into the Lab's ear.

The sound of the heart monitor began to decrease to a normal rhythm. Marlene's eyes flickered before slowly opening. "Michael?" she whispered in a bairly audible tone.

"Hi Beautiful," I whispered in her ear.

"No Sweetheart, Michael's not here," Mrs. Cassidy whispered as she stood on the opposite side of Marlene's bed.

"Mom," she whispered in a weak voice, "Yes he is, he told me that I had enough sleep and it was time to wake up. He's lying on top of me."

"Marlene Sweetheart, that's Misty lying on you," her mom replied, "Michael's not here."

"Yes he is, Mom, he just spoke to me... He just kissed my cheek."

Misty looked up and gave Marlene a long lick on her face, pulling the oxygen tube from her nose. "Get that fricking dog off of her," the nurse screamed.

"No! No, leave her here," Marlene said in a weak, but steady, sturn voice, "She is fine where she is. And you can remove these fucking straps from my arms."

"Marlene, easy Sweetheart," Mrs. Cassidy said in a calm voice as she stroked her forehead.

"Ms. Cassidy, we have to get the doctor's permission," the young, quieter nurse calmly said.

"Those straps are staying on if you are going to speak in that tone," the elder nurse scolded.

Marlene's eyes fixed on the younger nurse, "You, come here, and you," she stated in a stern tone, glaring at the elder nurse, "Get the fuck out of my room."

"You can't," the older nurse began.

"Get the fuck out," Marlene screamed as the heart monitor raced.

"Go," Mrs. Cassidy calmly said to the nurse, "We won't be needing you in this room any longer."

I looked at the rage in Marlene's eyes and slowly stroked her hair. "It's OK, Sweetheart, you can calm down now," I whispered, continuing to run my fingers through her tangled hair.

"Just until the doctor gives us the OK, Ms. Cassidy," the young nurse softly said as she readjusted Marlene's oxygen tube.

The monitor quickly returned to it's steady, normal rhythm as the nurse softly traced her palm along Marlene's cheek. "The doctor will be here soon, and we'll get you unstrapped, OK?"

Marlene agreed with a slight shake of her head, looking at her with tearful eyes, realizing where she was and the reason why. "Michael?" she asked, looking at the young girl. The nurse looked across the bed to Mrs. Cassidy and saw the despair in her eyes. She sadly shook her head as a lone tear trickled down her cheek.

"But he promised..." Marlene whispered in a shaky voice.

**********

**********

Marlene sat in her chair, staring out the front window from her mom's home as she did the first day when her battered eyes watched Misty and me walk down her street. The slight hint of dark circles under her eyes were apparent as she gazed aimlessly through the large glass pane. "Would you like me to warm up your coffee, Sweetheart?" her mom asked, laying a soft hand on her shoulder.

"No thanks, Mom, it's OK the way it is," Marlene answered in a sad, monitone voice.

She might have taken three sips from the cup in the last fourty-five minutes while sitting by the window and looking out at the gray February day. "He's never going to walk down our street again, is he," she whispered, more of a statement to herself than a question to her mom.

"No Sweetheart," her mom softly whispered as she rubbed Marlene's delicate shoulder.

"Beautiful, I'm right here with you," I said, wanting to remove the pain from her, "I'll run out and walk down the street for you if you want..."

A car parked in front of Marlene's house and as I stroked her hand, my sister Rose appeared from the driver's side door. The passenger door opened slowly and a jean covered leg stepped to the street beneath it. Rose made her way around the car and helped the person from the seat, taking the slight hand of the person who accompanied her. They stood together and stepped onto the grass between the curb and sidewalk. they looked like twins as they stood side by side. "Oh my God, Mom, I don't know..." Marlene quivered as a tear appeared at the corner of her left eye.

"You'll be fine," her mom responded, "She is part of your life now."

"Jesus, it's Monica," I whispered to myself, not being able to take my eyes off of her. Tears were already running down her face as she stood beside Rose, looking up at the house and seeing Marlene in the window. Rose whispered something in her ear before reaching for the back door of her car and opening it. Misty blasted from the back seat, raced up the sidewalk as her leash flailed behind her. She pranced on the porch, pressing her nose to the door handle. I watched as Mrs. Cassidy gasped out loud and made her way to open the door. In a heartbeat, Misty squeezed by her and raced to Marlene, obediently sitting and resting her chin on Marlene's lap while slowly tapping her tail on the carpet. She stared up at Marlene whose tears continued trickling down her cheek. "Hi Beautiful," she whispered to Misty, taking her hand and softly caressing the black Lab's velvet ears.

Rose and Monica entered through the doorway, hugging and clinging to Mrs. Cassidy as they said hello. Marlene stood and took a step before freezing in place. Monica stared from the doorway, not moving a muscle. Time seemed to stop as they faced each other, feeling the deep pain in their very souls. Monica took a slight step forward and broke into tears as she ran into Marlene's arms, burying her face in her chest and completely breaking down. Marlene held her tightly telling her that it would be alright and she would never let her go. "I'm so sorry, Sweetheart," she told Monica as she held the back of her head and secured it against her chest. "Your daddy loved you more than I could ever tell you," she continued, stroking Monica's long curly locs.

"My dad...my...dad lov...ed...you more...than life...itself," she wailed, sobbing endlessly into her chest. "He told...me...he was...going...to ask you...to...marry...him."

"I know, Sweetheart, we...were...plan...ning...to marrieeeee..."

Marlene wasn't able to finish her sentence as she held Monica in her arms, her tears dripping into Monica's hair. Misty sat quietly by Marlene's side, not moving until she returned to her chair and sat with Monica on her lap. Misty laid at their feet, staring at me as I painfully witnessed the overwhelming sadness I had caused. Rose and Mrs. Cassidy sat on the sofa, talking quietly between themselves while Marlene rocked my daughter in her arms. Mrs. Cassidy eventually asked if anyone would like a drink before raising from the sofa. With Rose's help, she returned with coffee and two aspirin for Monica.

"Marlene," Mrs. Cassidy softly said while handing Monica her aspirin, "Rose would like to speak to you about something."

Rose tentatively stood before walking toward Marlene and Monica. "Marlene... Sweetheart, we as a family would like..."

"What is it, Rose? You can just tell me," Marlene said as she stroked Monica's long hair.

Rose continued with a bit more ease, "You are part of our family, and well, as hard as a job which has to be done, we would like for you to help us plan Mike's services."

Rose was sobbing before her sentence ended. She stood there silent until Marlene extended her hand and held Rose. "Rose, I love you, and I love your family, my family, and I can try, but I don't know if I will be able," she said in a trembling voice; "I was supposed to be planning a wedding, not a funeral."

Two cars arrived and parked across the street from Marlene's house. A huge man exited the driver's side. He was older, but towered above the roof of the car as he stood on the curb. A smaller, stocky woman, in similar age to the man exited the passenger side, while another man exited the second car. Walking together, they briskly made their way across the street and up the sidewalk. Mrs. Cassidy let them in, giving a long hug to the large man and stocky woman, but instead, shook hands with the other man to whom she was introduced. "Ed, Janet," Marlene whispered, still holding Monica on her lap. Ed and Janet approached, leaning over and kissing Marlene and extending their deepest condolences. "Ed, Janet, this is Michael's daughter Monica, and his sister Rose. Rose, Monica Sweetheart, these are my partners Ed O'Neil, and Janet Hartgrove."

Ed knelt on a knee as Monica raised from Marlene's lap. He held out his large hand for Monica to shake, but pulled her into his chest and held her as her delicate frame began to teater.

"I'm so sorry, Sweetheart... Your daddy was a wonderful man and was very much loved by all of us at the firm. We are going to make sure you are well taken care of, OK?"

Monica shook her head in his chest, sobbing into his suit jacket. She finally greeted Janet before returning to the sofa with her aunt Rose.

Ed began to speak, "Marlene, this is Detective Walsh, we need to speak to you about some difficult things and it might be better if we were alone for the moment."

"Detective Walsh, thank you for coming," she began and then turned to Rose, Monica, and her mom. "Would all of you like to listen to what the detective has to say, or would you rather us talk in the other room?"

"I want to hear," Monica replied instantly.

"I'll stay too," Rose answered, holding Monica's hand.

"Mom?" Marlene asked, noticing the exhausted look on her face.

"If it is alright with you, I'll listen to the detective also," Mrs. Cassidy replied, taking a seat next to Rose and Monica on the sofa.

The detective looked at Ed before beginning to speak. Ed shook his head, assuring the man it was alright to begin. "Ms. Cassidy," he began, looking Marlene in the face, "My deepest condolences for your loss. And to you also Monica," he said as he looked sadly at my daughter on the sofa. "Um, we picked up two men who were attempting to cross the Delaware Memorial bridge. We received a very good description of their vehicle from several witnesses who were returning to their cars after shopping when Mr. Dalton was shot."

Monica buried her head in her hands as she listened to the words come from Detective Walsh's mouth. The detective hesitated and looked to Ed once again before continuing. "We recovered a high powered rifle fitted with a laser scope from the vehicle, and arrested the two individuals. Ms. Cassidy, the one individual spent time with your husband in the state penetentury. They were cell mates until his release last June. He's been following you since November. Your ex-husband paid him to kill you."

Marlene's mom gasped and held onto Monica's hand. "Your ex-husband was enraged after you divorced him, and when he learned about your relationship with Mr. Dalton, decided Mr. Dalton would be a better target; with the sole purpose of making you suffer with guilt the rest of your life," the detective continued. "We received a full confession after questioning him for hours."

CantC54
CantC54
84 Followers
1...345678