Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 01 Ch. 30

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literoticaยฎ experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Eldar nodded, "To establish a puppet government. We would need to explore this issue to get an answer."

She looked at the Captain of the Guard, "Retrieve him and his belongings and turn them over to Duke Silvertree so he can check on this threat."

Eldar walked the ambassador back and showed him the location, "The glass fragments need to be collected and analyzed."

He pulled the Princess aside, "After I leave, have your military adviser bring in all remaining Guard Captains to find a new head of your royal guard. Right now, that Captain would be at the top of my list as his first thought after these events were to secure your safety."

She nodded. "Also, I am going to send in a group of arcane experts in the next day or two to examine the location. Which our ambassador can look at directing them to this location. They will also want to deal with the wizard's quarters which are likely trapped to the Nine Hells and back.

We have some of the finest casters in the world who can deal with these kinds of wizards and examine any information left behind. They can also remove any particularly harmful items from the castle. Will this work for you?"

She nodded, "I appreciate the offer. I will order this room and the area around the wizard's quarters off-limits for the time being except for your investigators. I expect a report back on what they find."

Eldar nodded, "In that regard, I am also going to request a communication crystal from you so I may keep you apprised directly."

She nodded, "I have a purple set available if that works for you?"

Eldar nodded, "That would be perfect."

She headed back to her quarters and got the crystal for him. The guard returned with the Barron and a sack with his gear in it. Eldar reached into his bag and attached manacles to him. The Guard looked at Eldar strangely, "I have captured several spies and assassins. These became stand gear for me to carry. They are also enchanted to prevent spell casting." He nodded.

She gave a weak smile, "Thank you for coming."

Eldar shook his head, "Like you, I had a duty to be here. No need to thank me. I do expect an invitation to the funeral, coronation, and your wedding." She nodded as those thoughts drifted into her mind. "I need to go and work the arrangements to bury my father and notify my brother."

That snapped her out of her daydream as she remembered they both lost fathers here today. He gave her one final hug. He checked the gag on the prisoner and headed back to the Ambassador's office. He looked at Lady Silver Hair, "This one needs to be taken back with us. He needs further interrogation. I will also request you contact my wife Annette and have her returned immediately."

Lady Silver Hair looked at Eldar, "We can discuss it."

Lady Silver Hair then nodded when Eldar glared at her and she realized he was not asking but demanded her return. They got back to the Elven Palace, "Jarron I need him in the isolation cell with the spies we caught."

He nodded and took the man out quickly and came back. Charlemagne looked at Eldar and the body of his father, "You alright?"

Eldar looked at her, "Far from it. I am running on rage at the moment so let me finish this first."

Eldar looked at the group of them, "The Queen should be here as well."

Jarron pulled his crystal and Eldar searched his father's belongings. He found two Silver crystal communication crystals, a yellow crystal, a blue crystal, and a green crystal. He looked at the group. Lady Silver Hair ran her hand over the crystal and took the green crystal.

"This went to his sponsor, thank you for returning it."

He looked at Jarron, "This one goes to you?"

Jarron looked over, "The yellow one does."

Jarron stuck out his hand. Eldar stuck it into one of his pouches. Jarron chuckled, "Fair enough, you have asked for one and will need it likely."

Eldar went back and continued the search finding only one thing missing. His sword and sheath. The Queen arrived and was crying, "What is happening with the government? Is it as bad as it sounds?"

Eldar sighed, "I stabilized the government for the moment. Jarron needs to be there when the advisers arrive and work with the Royal Princess to get settled. I had the Scholars and scribe put together a public proclamation concerning the Royal Conclave. The fact that an Elf was the only eligible one to claim the Crown. Duke Silvertree refused to accept the crown.

Instead, I used the existing laws to add a small amendment that establishes the advisers and the rules governing them. This amendment was allowed inside of a Royal Conclave. In the event that an underage successor was within 4 years of being eligible until she is of eligible age.

The heir can rule with advisers if the conclave fails to find a worthy successor. Also, I am the only one who can switch them out if the need arises. I was the senior Duke at the conclave. The only Duke at the conclave. All of the advisers are retired Knights and are known experts in their field.

They are coming out of retirement to serve in this role. I made it as strong as I could and only interfered in the meeting when asked to do so. I was ready to leave with my father's body but I stayed to honor him. I was the only voting member at the conclave.

Most of the houses are in disarray as all of the senior royals were killed in the slaughter. The man I brought back is under a sentence of death which I have to carry out now that he is here. He also was the last one that witnessed the destruction of the wizard.

I suspect the wizard changed into a lich the sword he used to 'stab' the wizard is in that bag. Before we go any further can I have Lady Silver Hair to identify and legend lore the blade? To see if my concerns are valid?"

Lady Silver Hair pulled out the sword, "It contains no enchantment." A long pause. "He entered into some sort of agreement with the wizard. The body fell away to ash after he cast a spell. I am not familiar with the spell and he drank a vial of some black liquid. The body decayed away and the Barron stabbed the remains as it fell to the floor."

Eldar looked at her, "Necromancy?"

She nodded. Eldar growled, "The location of the ashes is marked off the glass fragments from the vial are there as well. The room is sealed. I told the Royal Princess we would send a contingent of mages to investigate. I figured Moon Bow and a few of our friends from the surprise attack with Lady Silver Hair. Before you object.

She has barred access to the wizard's quarters so this would be no different in terms of exposure for the Dragons than going into the dungeon here. If there is any material dealing with the creation of a Draco-lich in his room, I am sure you would want that secured. If he did it once he can and likely will do it again.

That is a direct threat to the Council of Nine and Dragons as a whole. You asked for my advice in these situations and I am giving it to you. Worst case your people remove a bunch of harmful wards and find nothing. If they are still up.

He had to die to become a lich so I have no idea if they would have remained. I would send someone skilled at traps, Skinner comes to mind but I do not know if you have another more skilled available."

Lord Regal looked at Eldar, "Their laws were another book you have memorized?"

Eldar nodded, "Down to page and paragraph numbers. The scholars present were all apprentices as the senior scholars were killed as they were present. There was supposed to be a Royal Conclave today from what I was told.

I reminded them that they were required to record the formal portions of the event for the record. I suspect I will be one of the dignitaries going to the mass funeral that will have to take place. Queen Goldeagle, your nephew would like to accompany you if you go to the funeral, the decision on that is yours.

Lord Regal and Lady Silver Hair, Can this be done? Or do we need to send in just eleven wizards to handle this?"

They appear to be having a private conversation.

---

Lady Silver Hair thought to the Gold King, "The relics missing are the ones used to create a Draco-lich. Any tomes or information from this wizard, now possibly a lich, could be in that room. Our system has not been able to track them. We have one shot at finding and securing them."

Lord Regal, "Finding them yes. How to secure them when they will likely get stolen again. That is another matter. I agree we must investigate to limit our exposure. He has set up the framework for us to participate in his actions. As a member of the Order of the Dragon should do."

---

Lord Regal looks at Eldar, "As this is an investigation and has a potential impact on our society we will work with your agents. Send them their first thing tomorrow. We will work to have your wife back to you at that time as well. They may need her to take a second trip."

Eldar nodded, "Once these funerals are done. Nobody will question my prisoner until my wife has done so. She is in the Knight and the Order and an asset under my control now that I have the prisoner.

I can move him from here if needed. I am being demanding on this issue, because Lady Silver Hair said, 'We will see' about the return of my wife. It is not up for debate as it cost my father his life."

Eldar looked to the Queen, "Can we get a messenger to House Silvertree. I want them to send a wagon and House Guard. Do not tell them why. We have Knights here to work with our House Guards."

She nodded. He turned back to Lady Silver Hair, "Back to my wife. Lady Silver Hair, could you try this magical ring? I only want to see if it will work on dragons? If so, would you pass it to Lady Amy Tryst? I got the impression she was under a timeline for a potion."

Lady Silver Hair removes one ring and puts this new ring on. The Queen was now face-to-face with the house consort spy they had taken down. She was naked. Lady Silver Hair looked at her naked form as an elf and handed the ring back."

The Queen gasped. Lord Regal smiled, "An eloquent solution if she wishes to return with your wife."

Eldar smiled, "She can, of course, wear clothing if she wishes. We took that off of a Drow spy. She got it from the wizard in question. Because of the effect, we had little use for it. But for my wife's trainer, consider it a gift." As he handed it back to her.

"From what we have seen it works when worn. It has never been picked up by a true-seeing spell to the best of my knowledge and she was working in the city for 97 years. You might want to confirm that last part. I find it hard to believe she traveled all over the Palace and nobody had a true-seeing item on them."

Lady Silver Hair thought to Lord Regal, "The Amethyst Queen will like the ring, but will not likely release her back until they finish her evaluation at least. The prisoner is delayed and I will take heat for the delay, as he will not buy me not being able to find her given our communication crystals."

Lord Regal thought back, "I am not liking the demanding tone."

She thought back, "He could be going off divine direction and he would take the word of his gods over us any day. Rulers do not rule over the Champion's actions. At least not without the Gods taking action against the rulers. In some cases striking them down, or having outside deities do it, like Bahamut striking us down. It has happened before in the 5th Age."

Lord Regal sighed and thought, "Point taken."

Eldar looked to Jarron and the Queen, "I need to go and work the arrangements to bury my father and notify my brother. Can you have your people dispatch a page to my house? I will instruct the Captain of the Guard of what I need them to do when they get here."

The Queen nodded and asked, "What of the usurpers?"

Eldar sighed, "They did not know I had that document memorized or my standing as a Duke. The Princess knew and corroborated my paperwork. They are to be executed and stripped of all holdings.

Before I forget, I know Moon Bow will not be happy with me volunteering him for this mission. As it deals with a loss for the Queen, my family, and he is a Knight in both senses of the word. He would be the best choice. He falls to Jarron though as a 'special asset.'"

Jarron nodded, "Thanks for remembering that. You are right, he will not be pleased. He would do it for the Queen's sake. Let alone the impact on the Knights and Dragons. You are right this is a perfect mission for him to take on as he is an Academic asset now which is useful in finding more talent."

Eldar nodded, "I expect a report, to brief the Royal Princess. As a Duke, I want to know if we now have a lich in play. How does it impact the southern border? The Elven Kingdom? As a son, I want to ensure the creature who killed my father has FICKA been destroyed!

Please, nobody, try to tell me I do not need to know what was found. That includes if you find anything on Draco-liches because that would be another concern for the southern border. If another Dragon went that way and assumed control of the horde then it will be another problem for the Council of Nine."

Lord regal nodded, "I think in this case it touches us all so we will be forthcoming. We might want to restrict what we give the Princess on anything Draco-lich related."

Eldar shook his head, "If the King put it in his journal for his successor then if we do not tell her we could lose her trust. I would limit it to necromancy and a lich. I would keep Draco-lich and dragon involvement out of what I tell her. That is something for Jarron to do at the right time if it comes up again. For now, she still needs to know if she is under a threat from that bastard."

Lord Regal looked at Eldar, "Let us not speculate on what we could find. We will discuss it further after the report is ready."

Eldar nodded to the Queen and in another break with protocol, he hugged her.

Queen Goldeagle looked at Jarron, "I want that prisoner secured with the other 2 for now. No access to Dragon assets until Annette is back. I want that report and I want answers and justice for Heliar and King Thornlord. You fail in this and I will remove the Knights from your control.

The Dwarven King is likely to agree given the fact that Draconic necromancy and Chromatic Dragons are causing these issues that Jarron and the others are trying to clean up and limit exposure.

With the Princess not being old enough to answer, but she will be wanting those same answers. I will assume we have her full support from her advisors. Be Regal in this matter, Lord Regal"

She stormed out in a huff and Jarron took the prisoner away.

---

Lady Silver Hair thought to Lord Regal, "We will do the review of his quarters and find out what we can in the meantime."

Lord Regal responded, "I want any information on necromancy and those relics held back in the report going back to them. Eldar is one thing and he agreed to keep it limited. The Queen's threat is another.

She wants to hold information back then we will as well. Else I will take it to the Council to get the support from them over the Dragon assets you have monitoring and guiding the Knights."

Lady Silver Hair thought back, "Fine, but this will not win any friends and if the Champion finds out, then we could have trouble as then we are violating the Accords with the Elves, yet again. This time with a Champion on the Field!"

---

Eldar grabbed Charlemagne by the shoulder and walked out with her in silence. They got to the Guard Captain's office. "I will have a dozen men with a wagon here soon. They need to be sent up to the room that you sent me. Tell them to House Silvertree."

He got to the horses and she called up, "You want to talk about it?"

Eldar shook his head, "I want you with me when I go to see him. I want the funeral held off until Annette returns. I think I might ride back to town with my apprentices."

She shook her head, "We go back to House Silvertree and Silver Moon can take you back this evening when she goes."

He shook his head, "We do not. You cannot stop what you are doing right now. You want to spend your nights with me that is fine. But we have to continue what we are doing. We cannot stop for this."

Charlemagne nodded, "Fine."

They mounted up and rode to the Academy. He looked across the training grounds and they ended up having to wait half an hour and Master Trainer Yetto came out with his brother. Eldar hopped down from his horse and met them.

Eldar walked up to them and they started with the traditional greetings and he cut them off, "I was summoned to the palace while in dwarven lands. I teleported back with the Elven Ambassador with a contingent of my men to the human Palace.

A rogue wizard laid waste to most of the court. The ambassador escaped, father did not. I brought his body home and in an unintended homage helped to get stability back into the human Royal Palace. We do not have a body for the human wizard. We do not know his status. He could be dead or undead.

I have had a long day and our father's body is being taken to House Silvertree. I do not know the customs afforded a man of his position. I could use your help, my brother. I will leave a communication crystal at the House within our father's desk in the main study.

You can contact me or my wife and the officer can contact me as well. I am taking my apprentices back to the village and away from this chaos and will inform his colleagues in my command who have worked with him.

I examined his bodies and except for communication crystals, everything's there except for his sword. Even the sheath was gone. All of his other rings and armor were in place. Just the sword from the gods disappeared. I returned the communication crystals to those with whom he shared them."

They stared at Eldar. "Master Trainer Yetto, I respectfully request a slight break in his training to help with our father's funeral. I am the eldest but he was closer to him in many ways."

They nodded to Eldar and he knew his brother was hurting more than he was. Master Trainer Yetto just held his head down in silence as Eldar left. Eldar turned to his brother, "When you want to grieve with me, we will do so. I have many things to do before I try to sleep tonight."

Eldar knew as he rode away one chapter of his family's life had ended. Now was the time to remember not the elf he was, but the elf he became.