Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 02 Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She rode off and about an hour later returned with Doc who looked upset, "I was asked by your father to never reveal too much about your destiny."

Brannar nodded, "I am not asking about my destiny, in as far as what I am supposed to do. I want to know what I am. As far as I know, I have no destiny, except to be constantly held back and protected like glass."

He sighed. "Can you be more specific?"

He yelled at Doc, "You are being deliberately obtuse! I should not be able to do some of the things I do! I know why father had this going on! Being a Champion of a god! What am I that I can wield a sword, prepare spells, and can spontaneously cast, unlike other wizards?"

He looked at Brannar, "I do not think I can help you."

Brannar looked at him, "A vision led me here to my father's sword 30 feet in the air in the side of this tree. Telling me it is my destiny. To find it, wield it, or both? Your deity is the Lady of Dreams. Divination is your area. Are you going to do it or do I leave it here?"

Doc looked agitated and finally relented, "I cannot guarantee results."

Brannar sighed, "I cannot guarantee I will not ride off and leave it! Until a worthy heir rides in and claims the blade."

Doc went to make a move and a voice echoed out from behind him, "You do not need to cast anything Doc."

Doc looked over, "Bow to the Lady of Dreams!"

Brannar turned toward her and gave her a bow. They were all on horseback but even the horses bowed. She looked over and sighed, "The decision is yours to take the blade or not."

He looked at her, "That was not my question. I wanted to know what I am? Why can I send trees up like fireballs went off inside the middle of them? Why do people fear what I can do? I am not a mage or sorcerer. I am some sort of twisted hybrid! Tell me I am wrong."

She walked over, "You are not a champion, you are a hero to the people already. The magical energy you contain is more than any single person should hold. For lack of a better term, you are an Arcane Gestalt. You have two names Brannar and Lortan. One was yours and one was for your brother. Your future children may produce gestalts with the same or different classes.

You have one mind but you have the magical abilities of yourself and your dead sibling. Fused into you by the storm and encased in the magic and love of your mother. Your father taught you how to use a sword, ride, and acrobatics for the day you would claim the sword. He saw this as your future, but it was never certain. Your magical abilities started developing while you were so young. The best definition they could give you was Battle Mage.

That just touched the surface of what you can do. You did not fit any mold. You still do not and you will never fit any mold. You have the best of the wizard and Storm Born sorcerer with melee skill in the sword. You have spells that can make you fight like a fighter if and when it is needed. You have a destiny that will eventually lead you to find and kill the one your father could not. The sword could aid you greatly.

As it aided your father in not succumbing to the Lich's invasion of his mind. Your father's faith in the gods wavered, but never failed, over the years with the loss of each wife and child. He never lost devotion to his people. He never lost faith in the ability of his children to succeed."

He looked at her, 'I am not a champion and I was unworthy of being in the battle for the last war. Then the blade does not belong in my hands, it belongs in my sister's hand."

She sighed, "Your father's destiny was altered, the amulet, and the need for all of the wives. Changed things for all of his future children in ways we could not predict at the time. The deal he made with his wives was not the one we hoped he would choose but it was his choice.

We did not put forth a prophecy on you as we had already done on your sister years before. While she was the same age by birth her rate of growth and absorption of knowledge was like a Silvertree, twice the normal, and her body and skills were that of an 80-year-old.

This was not done to you and your sister can tell you she wished it had not been done for her. It is not something we would look to do again. We needed her to become the general to safeguard your father's legacy after he passed. The heir for the Gray Blades.

It was not that you were unworthy, as your destiny is not to remain with the Gray Blades. The sword had abilities added to aid you in your destiny. Your father knew it would benefit you and he locked in the ability to keep the lich from trying to break your mind like it tried to do to him. I had hoped your father would have had this discussion with you.

He looked at her, "I don't want the sword. It would hate being in my hands as it would rarely get swung in combat. My enemies are dead from range more often than naught."

She looked at him, "I am sorry you feel so neglected, it was not what we had hoped for you. He put his faith in the sword to be able to guide and protect you into this mission, a mission you will feel honor-bound to take on. This lich is a threat to your family and the elven people.

You alone, right now, have the skills to take on this challenge. The blade would aid you in completing that task and work to protect your mind. You have so much to pass along to the sword if you choose to take it up. We would like to see it in your hands for this mission. But I cannot force you to do so as you are not a champion, you don't need to be a champion as you have the power to face the challenge.

You are destined to be the father of the next champion; the sword would follow your children for generations with other heroes and champions taking up the sword. That would only happen though if you took up the blade to protect and save the elven people, now and into the future."

He asked her, "My father was chosen at birth for this task, wasn't he?"

She sighed, "Between us only and no to be discussed, yes. We wanted the blade in the hands of a child with his vision and skill. A child of two worlds. He developed most of that through his parents and training, like you. His vision of the future is what we adopted to save the elven people of this world. We influenced the course he took growing up, but not the decisions he made.

You should know you would not only be taking up the blade if you choose to. You would be given insight into the issues your father was barred from pursuing. He left them to you, or the next blade wielder to expand upon his concerns and find out the truth. You will only ever find that out by taking up the sword."

It felt like hours passed in his mind before he finally decided he had to have answers.

She smiled at him, "I see your mind is set and determined now. Know you will hear me, but this will be the only time we shall see each other in this life. Live well and do not forget to find love. Those future heirs have yet to be conceived."

He bowed to the Lady. When he raised his head, she was gone. Zaria sat there waiting for Doc to do something," Doc are you going to help him?"

Brannar shook his head and looked at Doc who was white as a ghost. More than his complexion had been. He looked at his sister, "The Lady of Dreams has already spoken. The message was to me and Doc apparently."

Doc nodded, "I heard but was unable to speak after her arrival. Most of the conversation was blocked even from me after her arrival."

He flew up from Zea'Trans to the sword. He focused his determined mind. He extended his hand and grabbed the hilt of the sword. His mind felt like it was being invaded and set on fire. He fought the intrusion and a voice rang out in my mind.

"I am Karti'Ros and the spirit of the blade. You are a child of Eldar. You are strong and powerful in your own right. You are a caster, why do you seek the blade?"

Brannar thought back to the blade, "I am a Knight Protector of the Eleven People. Although not a Blade Singer I work toward the protection of the elven people. I had visions that sent me to find you. Three days after my father's death in this Silvertree. I did not wish to seek you at all. I seek answers I can only get through you according to the Lady of Dreams.

I am a Battle Mage, skilled with spells, staves, and yes swords. I am a storm mage born of lightning upon my mother's death. Find me worthy or fucking slay me 'if that is my destiny.'"

The sword responded, "You are like your father in that you are not afraid to die to follow your destiny. You fear only dying in vain. I am Karti'Ros and I find you worthy Storm Wraith. Your father foresaw you attempting to claim the blade. I am yours to wield. I understand your misgivings on wielding me and why. Even when you do not strike with me I will enhance your defensive prowess, regardless."

The fight for the sword was over and it lit up to allow him to free it from the tree. He flew back down to Zea'Trans and his awaiting sister. She was not the eldest, in fact, she was fourth in line for the Duchy. Father's eldest elf blooded children having died in the war. One of those older would be the Grand Cleric for the Lady of Dreams.

She was focused on spiritual matters. The other two were rarely around. They were not interested in the responsibility associated with running the Duchy. The eldest was the Bard Valita and his twin brother John, a psionic gone half of every year 'training', or so he said.

Valita was always traveling to find the next story, and if rumors were true the next female conquest or 10. They expected her to be named Duchess Zaria'fay Silvertree in their father's will because of her dedication to the Duchy. The Lady of Dreams already confirmed that in his mind.

She handed him their father's badly damaged weapon sheath. "Take this to the village so they can get a new one crafted. On the Duchy's tab." She smiled at him. "We will go look at the will as soon as the funeral is over. Your answers may lie there. You have time to get that dropped off and everyone will see who has the blade now. Father said it called him 'Activator of Blades'. What does it call you?"

He looked at her, "Storm Wraith. Though I am no champion."

She smiled, "Father would have been proud that you did not die at the blade's hand. The name can be telling. I doubted they would bring another champion again so soon. It was over 7 millennium between the last champion and father. That champion was not of House Silvertree so the chances of another champion in our line are remote."

He nodded to her and gave her a sword salute, "I shall return shortly." He thought, 'The holy symbol on the sword and the words of the Lady of Dreams counter that statement but he could not tell her that.' He felt his life was measured in years and not centuries after her talk with him. Regardless of 'the choice' he made. Those thoughts were blocked to the sword by the gods unknowingly to him or the sword.

He rode into town at a time and half speed. Everyone looked at him as he rode down the dirt road with the blade in hand. He rode past the Keep and down the road through the woods to the village where he had been conceived. He pulled up near the leather smith who saw the blade in his hand.

He nodded to Brannar, "I have been expecting you."

Brannar looked at him, "Me? Why?"

He looked at Brannar, "Your father told me the next blade wielder would likely be you. He had a copy of his sheath made years ago. He never said why. He took it with him, said 'It would be with his will which should be opened immediately after his funeral.' Until then you are stuck holding that blade."

Brannar nodded, not happy but he rode back to the site of the battle and found his sister. He looked at her, "According to the leather smith father, had a new one made years ago. It is with his will. He also told him that I would likely show up with the blade."

She shook her head, "Those visions of his drove him crazy at times. Our Uncle Elios will be here soon and then we will do the wizard's funeral. All of our sibling casters I could contact will be here to aid in the task. I heard the Queen will be coming in with her guards as well. Father did not want a ceremony in the city. He wanted it in the community he helped to build."

She reached into her bag and handed him a box, "Your mother and brothers ashes. He wanted them, all his deceased wives' ashes, to be mixed with his. That and those of his children who preceded him in death."

Brannar looked around and the others waited on him as his mother died first. He got off his horse and walked to his body. He set the box on top of his body over his covered chest. The others followed suit with the eldest child in attendance for each mother's ashes doing the honor until all six boxes were in place. Zaria placed the boxes for those wives with no children in attendance. The Queen and her guards arrived a moment later.

A couple of the Gray Blade mages provided transportation directly to the site with their Uncle Elios and Victria. The town of almost 4,000 and another 1,500 from the other two villages were in attendance including his Great Grandmother Strong Oak. She was still a village elder; yet nearing the end of her life.

There were several hundred troops from the Blades and the protection force present as well. The surprise attendees were 5 druids who he had heard about but had never seen. They did not normally appear to the public like that.

They stood at the edge of the woods away from the crowd. They caught his eye as if they stared right through him. The town spent the last 2 days clearing most of the larger downed trees. The Gray Blades planting new tree saplings across the remaining destruction. Leaving a walkway to where the Silvertree would be planted over the ashes.

The Queen walked over by Zaria and Brannar as the eldest children in attendance. She saw the sword in his hand and sighed, "Your sister and you shall travel back to the Palace with me. I hold your father's will. He requested Zaria'fay and the sword-bearer be the only ones in attendance."

They both nodded to the Queen as the service was started.

Doc Stormcloud oversaw the funeral. It was painfully obvious to everyone that this was killing him inside. He had to bury so many friends at once. Once he was finished a dozen clerics came in to work the containment of the blast. As each of 30 casters prepared to cast fireballs onto the body. That was twice the number of clerics required.

He felt this had something to do with the fear of what he might unleash. Zaria went first and he followed. The clerics easily contained her blast and the 12 of them struggled to contain the blast he threw into the mix. They waited a few seconds for the clerics to redouble their focus as the others cast onto his body. They let the other cast but it was obvious it was not needed after his spell had been focused during the ritual.

Doc looked at the remains and nodded to them, "There is no need for further castings."

He looked straight at Brannar when he said that. The clerics compress the ashes and slid them into a box. The box was taken to the site for the tree. In accordance with the ritual done with his grandfather, the ashes were taken to the hole. The ashes leveled with someone casting telekinesis to open the box and spread the ashes.

A wall of force was used to stop the ashes from spreading. Then all of the children went and placed dirt on top of the wall of force so that the wall was removed all the dirt would fall upon the ashes. Finally, Victria reached in and removed the box from the dirt. She then planted the seed in the center of the dirt. Doc cast create water over the seed and blessed the water. The crowd dispersed and the druids had even left the area.

The Queen looked at them and they knew it was time to go. They appeared in the throne room and they followed her to her audience chamber. Her guards seemed nervous at him carrying an open blade in the Palace but none stopped or questioned them. She went behind her desk and she motioned for them to sit.

She pulled out a large box and the paper on top of it. She pulled out several bags of holding and set them out. She found the 3 she was looking for and then went through a stack of sealed tubes and laid out 4 of those. She did not have the heart to tell them their father brought all of this to her the day after he married his last 6 wives.

She put the rest away and read from his will, "We will speak plainly in accordance with his wishes. Your father left half of his estate to the duchy. The other half split between all of his surviving children, even those who have yet to be born. He was thorough not to leave anyone out after his father's will. His wives have accounts already and he did a division to them when he married. He also left certain personal effects.

His armor which is being repaired by those who can do so will be ready in a few weeks and is to go to the new Commanding General and Duchess. In addition to the circlet that was given to Charlemagne by the King years ago for service to the Royal family.

I will do a formal presentation of the title when the armor is ready. The other children who are all older abdicated their hold over the title. All in favor of the one who has been the guardian in training since she was born. Zaria'fay Silvertree. Every child was given a letter from their father which Zaria will be responsible for distributing as they all come home at some point. Every child has something in the bags labeled for them.

One bag and one letter were addressed to The Family Moon Blade's new wielder. There is also instruction for Zaria'fay to induct the new blade holder into the order."

Zaria looked down and smiled. "I should not be surprised by that direction. After he told me what he did after the final activation and cleansing ritual. Bringing all blade holders into the order."

The Queen smiled, "That created quite a stir in the order for a few years. They came to see the wisdom of his decision."

Zaria turned to Brannar, "I formally promote you to a Captain in the Gray Blades."

The Queen chuckled. She continued, "I also inform you that your time in the Gray Blades has come to an end. You are being inducted into the Saatorixx Knights. You have read the book. It was recreated around 900 years ago. They work in service of the allied kingdoms and ensure the peace and to ensure the Dragon War treaties are protected and adhered too.

They make large conflicts into smaller ones by their actions behind the scenes. The Gray Blades has been a training facility for the Knights sending them over 2,500 members to expand and strengthen the network. We have increased their assets several times over since the day father joined. Those assets are under the control of Jarron. You have met him."

Brannar nodded, "I was surprised he was not at the funeral."

The Queen looked at him, "He does not know of your father's death. The communication crystals your father carried were destroyed in the blast or are missing. The instruction left to me by your father was to leave passing the information of what transpired of his death to the new Moon Blade holder. All communication with the Knight has been cut off by Royal Decree." She left out 'by divine direction.'

"Until Jarron comes to see me. Even Tranosa has been ordered to wait for instructions from the Royal Family before continuing support. It is an imperative that you get there as soon as possible. Your sister can take you to your contact point. Making contact is up to you."

Brannar looked at his sister, "Why make me a Captain and then send me on my way?"

She smiled, "It was something that father and I disagreed on. He wanted you made a Captain after you were Knighted. I was concerned with the impression that would give our wood-elf and druid population. Because of the massive damage, you did to the forest in the process. This makes that a moot point. Now when you get to Jarron he has to bring you in as a Captain. With what you can do you deserve it. That was never the question.