Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 05 Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He looked around, "Forget that idea. I spoke with the Goddess. The island fell into an explosive mass within hours of the return and was destroyed. She said active volcano. No word from the human god who watched over those people. If your god has any different information then I have the ability to access the secure shelter.

You have to build the system to track the magic to locate it and the enemy and you have 1,000 years before you stated you will be ready to do that. Another 1,000 years of dealing with a Draco-lich being out there. Otherwise, it is a dead issue. If you wish to get a hold of me, Princess, then I will need a crystal. For when we both agree it is a good time to meet. Else, I have nothing additional to offer you at this time."

She nodded and handed him a red crystal, "I will contact you. Living in a shelter still while the Palace construction continues. Even today. Your family was very dear to me. Especially the Knight Paladin but also Jazzia.

She did a lot to save our people, including locking all of the shelters we had so the young and hatchlings did not die when Staria died. Yes, I knew she had access to mythic magic as it aided us. Thank you for returning these books to us."

They left the shelter and then the room. They mounted up and headed off to train but stopped to eat on the way.

Octa 14th 8472

True to his word all businesses in Quatarsia were transferred once the villages' concerns were addressed. It took two days to deal with their concerns and get the business owners in line with the town charter. Even businesses that were not owned by the Silvertree family.

The books were returned and, in some cases, prices were cut in half which pleased the village elders, not the business owners. A couple of the independent shops closed their doors and relocated to the northern part of the Kingdom to set-up shop so they could charge what they wanted, the enchanters, and the alchemist leading the way.

Juna 16th 8477

Master Trainer Goldeagle was found dead by his student and friend, Jarronus. An examination by clerics found he died from poisoning. The blade he carried was assigned within hours to one of his younger sons, based upon his will.

His former students and current Grand Masters were furious that Jarronus was going to be evaluated early. Before it occurred, Jarronus set the conditions for the ring. It could not be claimed for a millennium if a student of his had not been identified.

Juna 20th 8477

Jarronus went to the proving ground the day after Master Trainer Goldeagle's funeral, which had been a royal affair. The match with the head of the Blade Singers was over in under fifteen seconds with his sword stuck a foot deep in the ceiling of the proving ground.

Grand Master Gold Claw, his cockier of two students spoke, "I issue a challenge for the right to the ring. He should have never been evaluated to be a Grand Master, let alone a Master Trainer."

Jarronus looked at him, "I accept and set the field to level nine. The ring is not a status symbol and by contesting it you challenge the gods will."

He looked shocked, "Level nine? I wish to withdraw my challenge!"

Jarronus nodded, "I will allow it if you can perform a simple blade song. To show your honor to the Gods is still intact."

He squared off instead and attacked before the command to begin was given. Jarronus came around and cut off his right hand and then disintegrated it. He went to cast with his other hand and Jarronus repeated the process. He held his sword to his nose and waved his friend over as he pushed Golden Claw toward a support pillar.

Jarronus looked at him, "Any involvement in the Master Trainer's death?" He shook his head.

Jarronus looked at him. "Demonstrate!"

He did so. He took the ring of the other Grand Master Blade Singer and set it on the table. Jarronus asked, "Divine if he had anything to do with the Master Trainer's death. If so, he should die here and now."

A cleric from the Lady of Dreams was brought in. He set the ring down, "He poisoned the Master Trainer's food while he was away from home."

Jarronus sighed. He walked over to him, "You know the punishment. Moon fire!"

He slid the blade up and under his jaw. He cut straight up. Cutting off the front of his head. He stripped the body, performed a demonstration of his ability, and left them to clean up the mess.

The head of the council looked at Jarronus, "Will you pick up his two students?"

Jarronus shook his head, "No! The council can find another to train them if they are worthy of such training. They are corrupted in my eyes. They would have been trained by the Master Trainer. If they had not allowed their minds to be poisoned by the fool. Another Grand Master can see to their training. It will be interesting to know if they can even do a blade song as he could not."

He put the Master Training band on and it snapped into place. Jarronus then informed the council, "The terms of my will concerning the ring have it going to one of the graduating students that I select. If I die before that time then the ring is to be held by the royal family for a thousand years. Then the next wearer will be decided upon by a tournament. With the final two participants fighting to the death over it."

They looked at him with a shocked expression. He pointed to the body. "It was the way he wanted. The way it ended for him."

Jarronus left the arena and traveled to the Palace. He got in line to see the Queen. He was called forward, He bowed to her, "Your Majesty. I passed my trial and am now the Master Trainer. I was immediately challenged by one of his former students. Golden Claw, I will not call him out as being a Blade Singer or Grand Master. I set the field to level 9. He wished to withdraw his challenge. I would allow it if he could pull off a simple blade song.

Instead, he attacked before the start of the match was signaled. After severing and destroying both of his hands his ring was divined at my request by a cleric of the Lady of Dreams. He was responsible for the Master Trainer's death by poisoning. His corpse hit the ground minus the face he liked to glare at me with. I took care of him in accordance with the Blade Singer's Code.

I refused to pick up his two current students. They would have likely been picked up by your cousin. They, unfortunately, refused to be evaluated by him because of the fool trainer poisoning their minds. I thought you should know. I also hinted that those students likely did not know how to do a blade song, they will have to evaluate if they were corrupted by their 'trainer.'"

She sighed and nodded, "Thank you, Master Trainer."

He waited for her to leave the throne room. She was due to get married next week and speculation floated through the court that she carried a child already.

Juna 22nd 8477

Jarronus awoke and packed his gear. Dressed in all black regalia. Still hurting from the loss of his mentor. He threw his pack over one shoulder. He cut back on the ground staff after today. Guards from the house; minimal kitchen crew to service those employed here. A gardener, 2 cooks, 1 maid, and 7 guards.

He took the day before to divest the last of a large portion of the non-House Silvertree gear on hand. He kept a few items back for potential students, to give them a leg up. All remaining gear, family heirlooms, and the library had been placed into portable holes and buried in the flower garden in a family vault installed years ago. It had crystals set to protect against scrying and teleportation. The lid was heavily warded and it was some of the work his mother saw too when he went into the Academy.

Her will reflected the location and reasoning. It was all very boring at the 'estate of one.' He planned to leave the Capital. He looked to head away from Quatarsia and the Capital.

Jarronus was on his way out of his room when Karti'Ros alerted, "Danger."

Jarronus thought, "Karti'Ros right hand Moon Fire on."

He looked down the hall through the cracked door and saw a guard dead.

He tried to reach Sattona, his elven Warhorse, and got no response. He sighed. The door was kicked open. Knocking him back

A whirling sickly green blade and a hand crossbow being fired. The bolt deflected off his armor. The fight went on for several minutes or it could have been an hour. He twisted the assailant's blade and ripped through her cloak. Her blade pinned by him as she held onto him. He ran his blade into the heart of the drow who managed to enter the Capital somehow. The sound of her holy symbol cracking was not lost upon him.

He severed the hand that was holding him. Jarronus jumped out of the closed window and rolled back against the outer wall before the explosion hit. It leveled Silvertree estates. Saved only by the section of the falling wall that blocked most of the blast from him but pinned him in the rubble while it broke several of his ribs.

City guards arrived not long after. They helped to free him from the rubble that had been the main house of Silvertree estates. Every building on the estate was destroyed. He walked on unsteady legs toward the remains of the barn. He found the burned remains of Sattona.

He had been killed with bolts before that. The bodies of over 20 drow littered the grounds, though some could have been guards as bad as the burn damage was from the blast. He said a prayer over the remains of his last friend in the city, Sattona. "Please watch over him. He served me well and was a good horse who deserved better."

He grabbed his tack from the box in the stable that was shattered in the explosion.

He sighed, "It has started already."

The city guards looked at the destruction and the bodies of the dead. Not seen in over a millennium. They had announced in a dramatic fashion that they were back and hunting him. The town guard did not know what to make of the mess that had only hours ago been his family estate. He looked at the Great Silvertree.

Battered with signs of damage it still stood. He looked at the guards, "Let the Queen know I will be back soon."

He looked at Jarronus like he had lost my mind, "The Queen will want an explanation for this!"

Jarronus nodded, "Yes she will. I do not have it. Have the Royal Guards examine the bodies and take anything of intelligence value to the Palace. Let her know I live. The Drow champion is off the field. Most of the dead are drow."

The guard looked, "Where are you going?"

Jarronus looked at him, "One of the places I wish I did not need to go."

He walked over and activated the teleportation circle and was gone. He appeared outside the old Silvertree home. Like last time, he was met almost immediately by village militia. They saw his partial blood-covered face. He looked at them, "Inform the herd I am in need of another horse." He collapsed onto the ground on his knees.

A rider went off and came back with Moon Ray who looked at Jarronus, "What happened to you?"

He shook his head, "I need a horse and access to my home at the inn. Then I will need to go to the Capital, back to the Palace."

He nodded as Jarronus worked his way to his feet. A Shadow Stallion, an adult but barely, showed up.

He looked at him, "Hitan."

He heard, "Why the hunted?"

Jarronus thought back, "Because that will be my life. To be hunted."

He saddled up the horse and headed for the inn. He pulled up out front and went inside to a bunch of staring faces. He went to the fourth floor and entered his home and sealed it. He stripped down under the shower. He threw his clothes and armor into a corner. Sat there and removed splinters of wood from his body.

He finished the self-repair and the cleaning to find his clothes ready for him. He drank several potions of healing to deal with cracked ribs, none of which broke through and punctured his lungs on his right side.

He repaired any holes and dressed for the Palace. He came out and sealed his home up. He had two of the same assholes who challenged him the first day waiting for him on opposite ends of the hall. Jarronus looked at them as one slid his blade out of his sheath.

Karti'Ros alerted, "Danger!"

Jarronus sighed, "You are really in that big of a hurry to die?"

He looked at Jarronus, "No Master Trainer to save you this time."

Jarronus pulled his glove off, "I am the Master Trainer." He looked at the ring.

Jarronus added, "Also the champion of Corellon Larethian who just destroyed over 20 drow assassins and, in the process of doing that, all of the Silvertree Estates. If you think your friend being quiet to try and sneak up on me is going to work you would be mistaken. I can kill you both without casting a single offensive spell or drawing a blade."

His friend rushed in. Jarronus flipped him into his ally in crime. He stepped over the 2 twisted bodies and cast a teleportation circle followed by teleport to bring himself back to the fourth floor without those 2. He walked downstairs where Moon Ray waited.

Jarronus looked at him, "You have 2 dead assholes hitting the ground any second now in the crossroad."

He looked outside and heard the screams as the bodies hit the ground. The crack, snap, and the explosion of fluids could be heard in the inn. Jarronus looked at the waitress. "My sword never left the sheath but I will not suffer fools."

She nodded in genuine fear. Jarronus looked at her. "Let the owner know he should work to keep people off of my floor. Especially if they have one brain trying to operate multiple bodies. Or should I say had."

Moon Ray looked at Jarronus, "You want to explain that?"

Jarronus looked at him, "Follow me."

They walked outside and mounted up. He saw the bodies.

Jarronus looked over, "I told them I could kill them both without drawing my sword or casting a single offensive spell. They attacked the new Master Trainer anyway."

He looked as Jarronus as he went to put his glove back on over the ring. "Follow."

They rode back to the front of the old Silvertree home. He waved him in as he activated the circle. They stood in front of the remains of House Silvertree Estates. Moon Ray looked at the carnage with his lower jaw hung open. With all the city and Royal Guards milling about. The Royal Guard Captain came forward, "Patron Silvertree?"

Jarronus looked at him, "Master Trainer Silvertree. I am headed to the Palace now. I had to get a new mount, clean up my wounds, and made myself presentable to address the Queen. How many drow bodies did you find?"

He looked at Jarronus, "Counting the severed hand by the wall they said they found you under that would be 29 bodies."

Jarronus looked at Moon Ray. "You have your answers."

He nodded. Jarronus rode off leaving him sitting on his horse. He had four guards ride with him all the way to the Palace being led by the Guard Captain. He left his horse out front. He walked inside with the 5 guards. Two on either side and the Guard Captain stepped aside as Jarronus approached the line. The Queen saw him as he walked forward.

He stopped and bowed, "Your Majesty, there was an incident at House Silvertree this morning. It would be better to not discuss in open court."

She shook her head, "When a major part of the Moon-elf district is destroyed it cannot be discussed behind closed doors."

He sighed, "Very well, your Majesty. For those who wish to know this was a champion-on-champion attack. I am the champion of Corellon Larethian. They are pulling the remains of 29 drow from the remains of House Silvertree Estates when the other champion's holy symbol was destroyed.

I made it out a window and back against the wall before the blast hit. Else it would have been two blasts and the end of House Silvertree. The kingdom will be at war in around 30 years if the timeline has not been accelerated, Your Majesty."

She groaned, "I probably should have had this discussion behind closed doors."

He nodded to her, "Yes, Your Majesty. I left after the blast to get a new horse and get cleaned up before bringing myself here despite what your guards might claim. I did this in Quatarsia where I was attacked by two locals that I had a run-in with 4 years earlier. I informed them I was the new Master Trainer and even with the feeble attempt to flank me, I killed them.

I told them I could kill the two of them without drawing a weapon or casting an offensive spell. They found out the hard way when their bodies hit the ground from 40,000 feet into the city crossroads. Thereby ensuring they know I will not suffer fools who attack me. On multiple occasions in this last case."

She got up, "I am happy you are alive Champion. I had not planned on this announcement today. I see now that I asked you to reveal the fact by not listening to your request. I would like to speak with you in private. Guards your services in regards to the Champion is not required or desired. Get us an accurate account of the dead both drow and elven."

Jarronus looked at her, "Your Majesty, I cut the active staff down to 11 in the days leading up to this because of my imminent departure. It should be fewer than that. Depending on when the drow attack began. That does not count my Warhorse Sattona who was killed by bolts well before the blast and by drow poison. I tried to contact him when my sword alerted me to danger and got no response."

She sighed and walked to her audience chamber and he followed. Her guards opened the door and he followed her inside. He stood as she sat down. She looked up at Jarronus, "I am at a loss as to what to do here to tell you the truth."

He looked at her, "Your Majesty, do not try and shoulder it all. Bring in the head of your military, your court wizard, the head of your city guard, and representatives of our dragon allies. You need to start conscripting your armies to be a battle-ready force. I gave you that direction from the gods 5 years ago, it needs to move quicker. You need the dragons to provide any intelligence they are holding back.

Family experience is they are always holding back. You need your city guard to determine how that many got that far into the Capital. I already instructed the guards that any intelligence from them be brought to the Palace. I have done what is required and I will do more as needed. Including advising you as the only known champion on the field.

Another is supposed to be in place for when they talked about me leaving, I question that time table because of the Dragon's ability to be ready in time. The Gods putting one champion on the field is concerning. Two and you are talking about a war that could go from 4-10 years or longer. Once we know our capabilities it will be time to consult with our Dwarven and human allies. They have had a thousand years to plan while we have become complacent in our peace."

She nodded, "You are right, given the way your mother died."

Jarronus looked at her, "Your Majesty, what do you mean the way my mother died?"

She sighed, "I forgot you did not know. She was found to have been poisoned. Is it relevant?"

He nodded. "Very, your Majesty. Very. You will want to add the head of the church for Corellon Larethian and the Lady of Dreams into this discussion. Pull up all records associated with House Goldbar and those allowed to live. Check the reports on it to find out if the teleportation circle into the under-dark was disenchanted.

Check the city, Academy, and royal security records. They did a patron-on-patron attack against Silvertree and Strong Oak. We need to contact the other Academy and ensure the Strong Oak family is aware of this potential threat. If Goldbar members are involved they could have infiltrated any number of houses in the last thousand years. One did infiltrate Silvertree.

The embezzlement was caught early but it led to the eventual downfall of the Duchy. You could reconsider reestablishing the Duchy. I am not a candidate but there is another path. Eldar's mother was Strong Oak. Putting a Strong Oak, a wood elf, as a Duke over the Southern border to bolster the wood elf defenses might be something to consider.

1...34567...15