Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He looked at Lerian, "How..."

Lerian zoomed in the map he was on. "Here and here is what you have. Now can we wait? Or do you want to talk about these two spots that are no good either?"

He sighed, "Show me what the issues are."

It took another 10 minutes when he showed up with the displays in a bag of holding.

Lerian pointed, "Bags do not work in here."

He walked out and brought in the two displays. He looked at the commander, "First, one of these displays remains in the War Room at all times. I realize you have been overseeing the system for 10 years but my family has overseen it a lot longer. Crystal to Left Eye and Right Eye please?"

He handed him the crystals.

"Left Eye, change display one. Set depth at two hundred feet and set area to grid 171 Delta and display two to the same setting on grid 173 Bravo. He brought up both portable displays. "Take them down 150 feet below the surface."

They looked in at caverns. The field marshal nodded, "Should be sturdy enough our system looked at that."

Lerian sighed, "The same location. Take it down to 10-foot square 300 feet high on both of them. Start a scan north to south on display 1 and east-west on display 2. When you hit the outer wall move 15 feet and get the next line."

They watched the displays. Lerian called out, "Display one back up 20 feet Monitor 2 switch width to 30 feet and Height to 100 feet. Run across the bottom of the cavern.

What you are seeing on monitor 1. Hang on monitor 2 go back you will see 4 circles. Barrels that are on the display, then on monitor three do a 10 foot square by 100 feet high above the same areas as monitor 2. Along with the ceiling of that cavern. Stop when you see something unusual. What you have on display 1 and 2 are barrels filled with dwarven explosives."

The dragons looked at everyone, "The dwarves are on our side."

Lerian nodded, "Not when they were infiltrated during the Eclipse War. The dwarves were infiltrated and sent ..."

They heard, "Left Eye here. Display 3 found unusual. He flipped to display 3. The Field marshal looked at me, "What is that?"

Lerian called out, "Left Eye monitor three-run the length of that increased height to 300 feet and narrow width. You see anything unusual stop. During the Eclipse War dwarves sent all of their sappers into the Underdark. When the dragon lands rose, they collapsed a series of tunnels for dragons coming in the area. There was a loud explosion at one point.

My ancestor's journal called out that Glimmer said if she had to guess the explosion was dwarven explosives. If they got into the head of one of those dwarves then they know how to make it but are not skilled in transporting it. Thus, not a lot of it. Even years later."

Lerian heard, "This is Left Eye monitor two and three are showing things." Lerian pulled up 2 and 3. he pointed. "These are poles in a spike trap. Those are poles supporting the roof. Now field marshal would you get Dragons' Overwatch to scan those cavern ceilings for transmutation magic 30 feet high 5-foot squares. Transmutation is a magical type we do not scan for. Those are not enough support poles.

I am betting they are using flying blocks with canvas going between them. Just enough to hold the earth up at just the right height and weight. The poles were put in place to support a couple that started sagging. I believe you are looking at a tiger trap designed to kill the dragons who teleport into the area. Elven War Horse would not fall they would just start flying; the explosives on the other hand would be fatal.

The other 2 locations are the same way with caverns, but they seem thinner on the roofs?"

He nodded, "About 20 feet thinner on the roof."

Lerian took the map and zoomed it out. "Here and here."

He looked, "That is 5 miles away and that one 7 miles." Lerian nodded, "Dragons fly faster than elven warhorse. The one had an encampment in-between. The other is a plateau if there is a dragon encampment it is there and at this base we are striking. Possibly a couple of others.

IF you want to teleport a scout over the area then now is the time to do it before it gets dark."

The Field Marshal stepped out. Lerian sat there and watched the displays.

Lerian activated a crystal, "Monitor one grid one-seventy-two-bravo." Lerian looked at the King, "This is the stronghold..." Lerian paused. "What is going on with the display Right Eye?"

Right Eye responded. "Been that way since the outage about 3 years ago. We lose signal from Dragons' Overwatch."

Lerian shook his head, "No Right Eye you are not losing the signal. You are losing necromancy detail from Dragons' Overwatch; the question is why?"

Lerian looked over at the Field Marshal who was standing there. He ignored his question, "There is a small encampment with half-dragons. 3 white and 3 green. We can remove them easily enough."

Lerian looked at the Field Marshal, "What is going on with access to necromancy? Those crystals are tied directly into the main system."

He looked at Lerian, "I would have to have enchanters look at that."

Lerian nodded, "When things settle down from this I will be there. I am an enchanter; FULLY versed on this system that Charlus built and rebuilt for you."

He looked at Lerian, "Access to Dragons' Overwatch operation has to be approved by the council."

Lerian nodded, "I know but they cannot deny access without giving a valid reason and 'dragon business' is not a valid reason. You make the arrangements for next week. If there is a rejection including the reason. I want that in 3 days. As outlined in the Accord. Continue on with your briefing."

He glared at Lerian. Then he outlined the new rendezvous points and attack patterns. Lerian looked over, "Strategy! You get one chasing you, dive at one of these 4 locations. Force web them or wing lock them. Let them go flying into their own spike trap. We will see if we have dwarven explosives or something else. Regardless, be moving away before they hit."

They left the room and went out front with the elven general and his command staff. General Strong Oak looked at Lerian, "This is my operation. You take direction from me."

Lerian smiled, "General Strong Oak, It is your operation. I take direction from the Gods and the King in that order. I will take suggestions from you. These 2 are under my orders; which you have seen and know. That is why you did not bring it up in front of the King. I just saved how many lives by changing the entry and exit points? The Gods have me here; not you, cousin."

They rode out to the main gate and his casters took them to the rendezvous point.

He called out assignments. He looked at Lerian, "You got issues flying rearguard?"

Lerian looked at him, "Until we engage that is fine. It is ideal in fact, as I have great eye-sight to watch your backs."

He handed Lerian a crystal, "Report anything." They took off and in waves of 8.

Lerian looked at them, "Give them a few hundred yards so we can see anything before it gets too dark."

They nodded. Finally, Lerian thought, "Best speed."

Lerian was 20 minutes into the ride when he saw them. "General Strong Oak, turn your men back to here and regroup. We have 40 dragons; 20 on each side."

He responded, "We have dragons in this fight and it is close to almost pitch-black outside."

Lerian sighed, "I have better eyesight than most of those dragons. They are coming in from the sides. Regroup or I will regroup you!"

General Strong Oak laughed, "You are too far back to be of any threat of doing that."

He thought, "Drakon'Sira! Recall all eleven Warhorses to us slow down to double speed."

Lerian heard the crystal from General Strong Oak, "I do not know how you are doing this but stop or I will have you executed."

He looked at the crystal, "You have more than one psionic in your group, have them look through my eyes if they have that ability. Then you can decide if I just saved your ass, cousin. Best speed."

The horses grouped up in a line with the general next to him. Lerian saw a crystal light up, "They said you see another 20 coming up from the base. They are headed to the plateau."

Lerian nodded. "Contact the field marshals and have his troops move straight away from the base or teleport to it. They have 60 hostiles heading for the plateau."

He made the call. "Half are flying away and half are teleporting in behind us."

Lerian nodded, "Which way did their champion go?" He called them.

He looked at Lerian, "Away."

Lerian thought, "Fucking perfect. Release control back to their riders."

Lerian looked at him, "Expect one dragon for sure. Another champion. You may resume command as the horses are released to the riders. I ride the head of the herd. He took control of your horses."

They hit the base and had 7 dragons rise up. One stood out as his eyes glowed; breaking the night. Lerian headed up and his two guys followed. He turned off his non-detection just long enough to get the one dragon's attention. He called out, "Breakaway! He will chase me. Help out below."

They broke off and the one dragon was faster than the others.

Lerian tried an expanded force web and it did not even slow him. He thought, "Great, he has draconic freedom of movement built into his symbol."

He teleportation circled up several hundred feet behind him and headed for the ground. He was faster but not more maneuverable. Lerian fired disintegration rays back at him and hit him a few times. Then he blasted a few acid explosions in-between as this one was not a black shadow hybrid, but a blue dragon.

Those pissed him off and he knew he was getting close to having to land. He saw what he feared, a drow champion on the field. He watched Lerian fly straight toward him as the dragon pulled up to make a controlled landing. Lerian moved in between them at the dragon's side. He waited and teleportation circled just as he finished casting his disintegration toward Lerian. The drow champion hit the dragon coming in. Lerian threw a wall of force that was angled at a forty-five degrees angle. The dragon tried to pull up but slammed into the wall.

He thought, "All War Horses, as high as you can get now! Champion down!"

He watched the dragon slam down and veered left unconscious as it fell onto the drow with its body. Lerian teleportation circled one more time to a much higher altitude. He saw the horses and a few dragons flying out as the blast went off from the two holy symbols. Followed by blasts at six other locations surrounding the enemy base. He heard Varus'Nor, "We have a blade to collect."

Lerian went down to the site of destruction. It was that; total destruction. He pulled a crystal, "General if you are still alive, I have a Moon Blade to remove from the field."

Lerian heard a sigh, "Again?"

Lerian shook his head, "It was predicted, cousin."

He handled it with Moon Bow who landed and they tracked the location. They had two members of House Silversong land. Lerian looked over, "I am under direction to return this to your patron. To hold until the will reading at mid-day."

They looked at Lerian and one spoke, "Our patron said we needed to bring it home."

Lerian looked at him, "You know the right way to get a blade off the field without killing yourselves? Your patron was told I would bring the blade. I watched that order go out to her myself via the King's courier."

They shook their heads. Lerian nodded, "Then you can go back with me as I deliver this to your patron."

Lerian located the blade but no signs of any dead body. Lots of parts but the bodies for most in the area were gone. He laid out the blanket and strings.

He tied slipknots around the handles and laid the strings out. He rolled the upper and lower edges to allow the grip and tip to be exposed. He then rolled it. Bound the strings together. He used a candle and his signet ring to set several thick wax seals interconnected.

He then cast a transmutation spell across the wax and turned it into steel. He picked it up with Moon Bow shaking his head, "What was with the additional seals?"

Lerian smiled, "No way to attempt to claim it without showing that you violated the terms of the will of the previous wielder. A fate punishable by death."

The two of them looked at him, "The patron will not like that."

Lerian nodded, "I know that is why I did it. She gets to hold it. But she cannot try and send a hundred of you to claim the blade to find one it might accept. I am saving your lives. It is to be claimed at the will reading and not before. She knows it and I know it. I will be there."

He shook his head, "You are not a member of the house."

Lerian looked at him, "My wife is and as I had a specific threat made against her by one who will be attending. I will be there to take his fucking head off if he so much as looks at my wife wrong."

Lerian mounted up with the sword.

He looked at Moon Bow, "Take us home, I burned through too many castings dealing with that fucking champion." He nodded. They rode through the gate, Varus'Nor alerted, "Danger but they seem to be going back and forth."

Lerian thought, "Expected."

They rode to house Silversong. Lerian got off Drakon'Sira outside the estate. "Head for home. I feel like a walk, Drakon'Sira. Try not to run anyone over."

Drakon'Sira took off.

Lerian looked up "Moon Bow, take tomorrow off I got this."

He nodded and left as Lerian walked onto the grounds. A few city guards rode by and Lerian waved to them. One of the 2 'escorts' Lerian had looked at him, "You have big balls to do this alone."

Lerian smiled, "I am confident in my skills which you have no fucking clue about. Also, Moon Bow and those city guards saw me entering this estate. Would it not look suspicious if I somehow disappeared before leaving this estate?"

They looked at each other as they got to the door. Lerian looked at the guards, "Get your patron for me."

One of them went inside. She came out a few minutes later, "I heard you have me to thank for still being a patron."

She glared at Lerian. He pulled the sword out, "This sword is bound and sealed inside of this blanket.

Anyone who tries to draw the blade before the will reading will find that it will destroy the seals and blanket when the sword becomes active. Ending in their quick death. Yours to guard over until the will is read, as the guardian.

I told your family members here due to the threat made against my wife; I will be attending by her side. Mid-day tomorrow. The King has been informed of this as well and concurs."

She looked at the way Lerian had it wrapped and nodded, "The seals will be intact and nobody will draw the blade until the will reading."

Lerian left her standing there smiling. He walked off the property. Lerian heard, "Danger but you expected this."

Lerian thought, "Varus'Nor left hand Moon Fire on."

Lerian summoned his other blade rolled against a wall. He looked out and saw the shape of the first. He drank a potion to protect against poison. He dimension doored in behind him.

Lerian took his head off and 3 bolts and 3 arrows came in with 4 hitting him. Lerian pulled them out and drank down a healing potion before he spotted the next one. He flipped his swords to strike down and dimension doored and struck down into the back of that one. Lerian had three arrows come at him with one hitting. Lerian magic missiles the one and took cover. Lerian pulled the arrows and downed another healing potion.

Lerian magic missile him again when he popped his head out. He moved back behind cover. Lerian heard him giving his location. He thought, "Human talking to a halfling."

He activated the fly ability in his armor. Lerian flew across to one and got hit with 3 bolts for his efforts. He ran Varus'Nor through the target. He pulled the bolts. Lerian listened as he downed another potion, "Poison does not seem to be working, try the petrification."

Lerian dimension doored behind that voice. He rolled up and did a double blade strike on him and the halfling yelled out. Varus'Nor burned thru him as the next volley came in.

Lerian dimension doored to the higher location and was met by 2 of the would-be assassins. He did a whirlwind strike as he got stabbed from behind by the one. He pulled arrows and drank another potion. With the two burned and sliced bodies. That left one.

He heard him running. Lerian dimension doored ahead of him. He came to a stop and fired a bolt at Lerian which caught him in the arm. He heard him giggle, then he realized it did not affect. Lerian knew it would not due to the circle in his hat. He hit him with a scorching ray and then a quickened one and watched his invisible halfling form burn. He stripped the body and moved it. Lerian gathered all of them on the street below.

He stripped them all and found one with eight communication crystals on one of them while the other 6 each had 1. Lerian broke those 6. He pulled out a crystal, "Left Eye open the door."

Lerian heard back, "I was instructed to not let you into the area."

Lerian smiled, "Shelter, Strip all access except the blade wielder. Turn off food, security wall up, and entry security up.

The next command deals with the portal and that would be problematic for you as if you have one of the accesses to the teleporter and I do the same thing to Right Eye you are trapped and starving. I am General Silvertree and the equipment and shelter are my family property. Which is why you cannot override it. Which shall it be?"

He heard him sigh, "Teleport access is open." Lerian put the crystal away.

He used a teleportation circle to the top of the inside of the shield. Right over house Silversong's entrance. Lerian teleported into the 'head' and teleported to the palace entrance and walked inside. He looked at the Guard Captain, "I have a note for the King."

Lerian's crystal to the King activated, "Yes, Your Majesty."

He asked, "Where are you?"

Lerian smiled, "Standing in front of your Guard Captain with a note to you, Your Majesty. The entrance to the palace."

The King talked to an irate patron Silversong. The King sighed, "What is this note about?"

Lerian smiled, "You first, Your Majesty. You contacted me."

He sighed, "House Silversong said you attacked them. I told them to explain to me how when you are in front of my Guard Captain. She shut up and turned off her communication."

Lerian nodded, "She did not wish to tell you of the 4 human and 3 halfling assassins. I returned them to her from the top of the city shield. I take it that is the attack she was talking about, Your Majesty."

He sighed, "How did you get to the palace so fast?"

Lerian smiled, "Your Majesty, this city has eyes everywhere. The note deals with the reading of Silversong's will at midday tomorrow. Whoever instructed your people at Alliance Overwatch to deny me access needs to have their hands slapped. At the moment I have seized control over Alliance Overwatch."

He sighed, "What do you mean they denied you access?"

Lerian smiled, "That is a question for your commander, your Majesty. I am sure he will be showing up soon."

The King had a crystal buzzing. The King talked and then sighed, "You have full access, would you release the people working the Overwatch?"

Lerian smiled, "Once I visit them again and ensure the people working in it are aware. If the commander wishes to have access then he should meet me there. Also, Jennasi Goldeagle is working with my grandmother from Silvertree Estates. Just so you are aware."

He sighed, "I need to see her tomorrow as well. I was wondering where she was."

Lerian nodded, "I need to see you, Your Majesty. Before you finish with Golden Arrow."

He started to say 'How' and caught himself. "War Room now."

1...1516171819...22