Sinner's Run Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That makes no sense!" Noah yelled, buckling to the floor.

"It doesn't have to, to you at least." The Administrator tilted his head to the side. "For with this, you will be no more. Goodbye, Mister Welkin." His finger settled on a key on his digital keyboard.

Then he went rigid, his finger trembling above the button. "Impossible."

Colleen snarled and aimed her Adjutant. "I told you!"

Noah fell through the floor, tumbling into a void of black as he flipped end over end. After falling for several long seconds, he crashed into a solid surface chest-first. His ribs ached immediately, and he groaned in pain. What now? How much more of this could he take?

He picked himself up and looked around. He was in the black void that seemed to lie betwixt the Barracks and the Run itself. But after waiting for a few moments, it didn't seem like the hard bump into the bucket dropship seat was coming anytime soon. Then again, did it really matter? All his friends were gone, and their sacrifice had been in vain. He still wasn't free of the game, and had no idea how to get there. Noah sank back down into a sitting position, wrapping his arms around his knees. Maybe this was where he belonged, in the dark. It was just like his room, but even more lonely.

A blinding flash stabbed at his eyes, and Noah held up a hand to block the light. He squinted, trying to get a better view of what it was. The light came from a large rectangle that blinked on and off in a steady rhythm. Then, the square moved to the side, leaving letters in its wake that loomed in front of him like text on a billboard.

Noah. It's Vivian.

"Wait, Vivian?" Noah looked around. "Where are you?"

The first message moved higher up, another appearing beneath it, letter by letter. Not much time. Can't hold Null back for long. Don't know how to get you out yet. Need to eliminate Null and Colleen.

"Okay, but how?" Noah asked the wall of letters.

The Run. Will boost your stats and give you abilities. Give me a passive, active, and ultimate from other characters. Hurry.

Noah thought quick. What combination could he create that would break the game and allow him to fight back? It didn't take him long. "Archangel's passive, Larka's active, and Montana's ultimate!" That combination would allow him to heal double, drop a barrier, and shoot better.

A moment passed before the text returned. Done. Brace yourself. Survive above all else. Will try to get you help.

Then Noah was falling again, head pointed down. The black void vanished, and he was back above the Run, the map reset to its state at the beginning of the game. Noah twisted mid-drop, looking around for anyone else on their way down.

As far as he could see, it was just him.

He hit the ground on the north end of the map, and ran for the nearest building to find gear. But when he got inside, there was nothing there. He checked every nook and cranny, but turned up nothing.

"A momentary lapse," the Administrator's voice said over the map's intercom. "But one that will be corrected soon. You face Colleen and I, Mister Welkin. Winner takes all."

A hiss came from the speakers before the sound cut out. Noah put his hands on his head. How was he supposed to fight both of them with no gear?

A thud came from outside, and Noah moved to the window to see what it was. A gear box had fallen from the sky, a golden glow around it to signify the legendary loot contained within. Noah flew down the stairs and out the door, throwing open the box. The container was packed to the gills - Tier 4 body armor, an armful of med kits, more large armor cells than he'd ever picked up in a game in his life, and every weapon in the game to choose from with a full selection of attachments.

"Thank you, Vivian," he muttered.

He spent a little time debating what to take, and settled on what had served him well in games past. An Adjutant carbine with extended magazine, stabilizer and stock; an N-10 with extended magazine, stabilizer and hollow point rounds, three frags and three flashbangs, healing items aplenty, and as much ammo as he could cram into the remaining spots in his storage deck.

Noah weighed the rifle in his hands. A loud siren blared. The Zone was closing on him, possibly for the last time. He didn't want to think about what would happen if he lost this Game. It was do or die time, until Vivian could get him out of the game. And it was all up to him.

He took a deep breath, racked the bolt on the Adjutant, and set off in search of his quarry.