Sisters of the Mists Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Darkniciad
Darkniciad
1,270 Followers

A second Hellgate, opened by another wizard, filled C'seka's senses. This gate was close -- far closer than any the demon had ever sensed before. C'seka appeared to vibrate and shake apart, eventually becoming transparent and vanishing entirely. When the process reversed, C'seka instinctively knew where he was, inside the second Hellgate he had sensed.

Reaching out with his senses, he connected with the master of the gate. A wicked, toothy smile spread across the demon's face, as it realized that this gate belonged to his Master's pet wizardess, Arleen. Seeing what she found desirable in her mind, C'seka shifted form, becoming the vision of male perfection in Arleen's mind.

As Arleen used the Hellgate's ability to spy upon some mortals, C'seka psychically spied upon her.

He learned much of her -- and their Master, in that time.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Edna and Ashley both stood close to each other, looking extremely uncomfortable. Edna shook her head and said, "I can't believe I'm standing in a Hellgate."

Ashley nodded her agreement, and asked, "Where are the demons?"

Danica answered over her shoulder while adjusting the focus of the gate to the valley she called home, "I told them I didn't want to see their faces ever again, unless I called for them. They got the point."

The image in the portal shimmered, revealing the valley, and the manor. "There it is. I'm sorry we had to use the Hellgate, I know it's making both of you uncomfortable. We have no way of knowing if the valley will let Edna in, though. I don't relish the thought of slamming into a wall, trying to teleport normally."

Ashley asked, "How did you know it would let me in?"

"I didn't," Danica replied. "I teleported us to somewhere else I knew, and then pulled you through the Hellgate to test it. I didn't even have to ask the valley to let you in, it just did. Well, let's go. I'm sure both of you are ready to get out of here."

"May as well get this out of the way," Edna said, stepping forward. "Judging from what I'm seeing, and what I think it is, though, I'm not going to have any trouble at all." With that, Edna stepped through the portal, into the valley beyond.

The rest of the women followed, and Danica closed the Hellgate once they were all through. Ashley stared in wonder, while Edna had an expression akin to reverence on her face.

Ashley noticed her mentor's expression, and asked, "What is it?"

"It's beautiful, isn't it," Edna asked, ignoring Ashley's question.

"Yes," Ashley replied.

"Glad you like it, because we're going to be staying for a while," Edna laughed. She hugged her arm tight about her, and then said to the assembled -- and rather confused -- women around her, "Let's get the three of you, and your books, all in one place."

Edna moved unerringly toward the front door of the manor. After a few moments of staring at each other and shrugging, the rest of the women followed.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Ebonar stood to greet the demons, having been informed of their impending arrival by Meckataur's wizardess. "Welcome -- Eris, and Mache. I believe I have the perfect positions in which to place the both of you, so that you may study humans, and learn their ways."

Mache, the better dressed of the pair, smiled and said, "I would learn the ways of human females."

Eris glanced at Mache and chuckled darkly.

"Such is not your purpose here," Rexxus warned.

Both demonic siblings turned the demon, scowling. Folding his arms before him, Eris asked, "Who are you, to command us?"

Nodding with only a slightly deferential air, Rexxus clarified, "I simply remind you of Meckataur's wishes."

Stepping toward the demons, Ebonar interjected, "Meckataur seeks for them to learn the ways of humans. That particular interaction is one of their studies, and they may as well undertake it sooner, rather than later. Do you not agree?"

"I have done my duty," Rexxus growled, and walked out of the room.

Why do you not simply shift out of the room, Rexxus? Do you truly believe I don't know exactly who you are? Shifting his gaze from Rexxus' retreating back, Ebonar addressed Mache, "I believe you would be well suited to the training of a gentleman soldier. I will place you with my own guard, for the moment, and then have you enrolled in the Forge when the time is right. Is this acceptable?"

"It is acceptable," Mache replied.

"Excellent!" Ebonar clapped his hands, and a man appeared in the doorway of the room. "My servant will escort you to your temporary quarters." Turning to the servant, Ebonar added, "Have Rebecca sent to him, once he is settled."

"Yes, Master," the servant replied, with a deep bow.

"Rebecca will teach you the ways of human females -- quite well."

Grinning, Mache spun on his heel and walked toward the servant.

Turning to the second demon, Ebonar said, "I have the perfect place for you. Tell me, does an occupation as a murderer interest you?"

"Very much," Eris replied.

Pulling a disk of platinum from his pocket, Ebonar hurled it to the side, speaking a word of command. The coin froze in the air, and expanded into a portal of shimmering light. Gesturing to the portal, Ebonar said, "Shall we?" Without awaiting a response, he walked toward the portal.

Eris followed, and they emerged in a darkened room with natural cavern walls. Eris took in his surroundings, and noticed the false door almost immediately, although it blended perfectly with the wall.

The hidden portal slid aside, and a dark cloaked man stepped in front of it. "Welcome, Ebonar. This way."

The shadowy figure vanished on soundless feet, obviously anticipating he would be followed. Ebonar stepped through the doorway, followed by the demon.

Sweeping his hand across the room, Ebonar said, "Welcome to the newly reborn Guild of Death. I believe you will feel right at home here."

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

"We should get the mirror, in case the girls start acting up," Marlena suggested.

Waving her hand in a dismissive gesture, old Edna said, "They will behave." Turning to Ashley, Celes, and Andrea, who stood around a table holding their family books of spells, Edna said, "Place the books on the table."

Andrea looked excited, but Celes and Ashley both rolled their eyes as they followed the elder witch's instructions.

"Now is the moment of truth -- and destiny. Join hands, and then move your joined hands over the table. Your right hand should be positioned over your own book." Edna's voice grew more excited with each word.

The three witches around the table did as Edna directed. Everyone in the room gasped when the insignia on the covers of all three books began to shimmer with light. The three sigils, all variations of a stylized heart, glowed ever brighter by the moment. The rose-colored light continued to filter from beneath the covers when all three books opened of their own accord, the pages moving as if blown by a stiff breeze.

When the pages ceased to turn, all three books were open to an identical entry. Though the position in the book varied between the three volumes, and all were written in different hands, even the slightest glance revealed them to be the same spell.

Edna's voice sounded younger -- stronger -- and full of conviction, "You must say the spell of your own free will. The words of this spell will join the three of you, and increase your powers. You are chosen -- but you must accept the rewards, and the burdens, which come with this choice. Joined -- three as one -- you will have the strength to face what is to come. Without it..." Edna paused, and took a deep breath before continuing, "Without it, none can determine what will come to pass."

Looking at the other two witches around the table, Andrea said, "This feels right. Why else would all our books have this spell? Why would we have found each other like we did, if not for this reason?"

"I never really believed in the prophecy, until now," Ashley said softly.

"Things happen..." Celes began.

"For a reason," all six women said in unison, breaking out into smiles.

Celes squeezed the hands of her fellow witches. "Let's do this."

Andrea and Ashley both nodded. The three witches looked down, studying the spell. Without a word, they all knew when they were ready, and they said the spell together.

Our family lines --their fates entwined --

Patiently awaiting -- this place and time --

Join us now -- in heart and soul --

Through this bond -- make us now whole.

The three books on the table radiated increasing brilliance, the rosy glow rising up to the hands above them. The light surrounded the owners of the books -- silvery sparkles darting about excitedly within it -- accompanied by a musical tinkling. Smiles spread across the faces of the three witches, and they shivered slightly.

The light dimmed, though the smiles on the faces of the three witches could have lit the room unaided. Each could feel the bond to her sister witches, and a new sense of purpose flooding through all three women.

"And now, you are three," Edna said reverently. A moment later, she let out a whoop of joy, prompting everyone in the room to laughter.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Ashley, Celes, and Andrea sat together, speaking quietly to each other about their mothers and their lives. They learned, by the moment, that there were many common experiences in their lives.

Edna sat next to Danica, sipping tea. Marlena had returned to the opposite wing of the manor, having a nagging feeling that the girls were up to no good. Putting down her cup, Danica said, "I noticed that you said, 'We will be staying,' earlier."

Edna nodded her head. "My place is here as well. All of you have your place in what is to come, and someone will need to watch your charges. They are darling girls. I know that from the little contact I've had with their minds already. They're also mischievous, though. Marlena was wise to check up on them."

"Are you sure you can handle them?" Danica asked doubtfully.

Edna chuckled. "Oh, I can handle them. It will be a great deal easier when I have Ashley and the others unbind the remainder of my powers. I don't need to fear demons finding me here."

"You seem to know more about this place than we do, and we've lived here for months now," Danica noted, with a questioning look.

Waggling her finger toward Danica, Edna responded, "All in due time. I'll know when it's the right time to tell you. I can tell you this, though -- no demon will ever set foot in this vale."

"That's comforting," Danica laughed, taking another sip of her tea. "We're going to have to work out something. I didn't really plan for two more when I made this place."

Patting Danica's hand, Edna said, "Don't fret. We'll work everything out."

"What was that little ceremony about?" Danica asked.

"That spell binds them together, in a lot of ways," Edna explained. "They probably feel it already, and it will just grow stronger as time goes on. As their bond grows, so will their powers."

Putting down her cup, Edna stood up. "I should go acquaint the girls with their new Gran. That way, you and Marlena can get to know Ashley better as well."

Danica nodded, glancing over at the three witches in conversation when Edna left the room. Her gaze focused on Ashley, and Danica thought, I'd like to get to know her a lot better.

Just as the naughty thought ran through Danica's head, Ashley looked over and locked eyes with her. The redheaded witch smiled, as if she'd heard Danica's thoughts. Danica simply smiled back, knowing it wasn't possible -- not that she really would have minded anyway.

Marlena walked in the room a short while later, and Danica moved over to where the three witches sat, gesturing for Marlena to join them. When Marlena sat down, Danica said, "Well, I suppose we should start with how we all met, since our story is probably longer and a lot more confusing than yours, Ashley."

Celes slipped into the brogue she had used upon first meeting Danica, "Ye got the right o' it there, Dearie."

Celes cackled, and everyone else laughed with her. Danica took a deep breath, and started at the beginning, with the tale of how Zoraster first lured her into his trap.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Ebonar, one of the few people to ever see his face, sat across from the Nightmaster of the Guild of Death. In the background, he could hear the sounds of Eris furiously coupling with a woman recruited to the guild from a bordello. Absently, Ebonar wondered if her very realistic cries of passion were for show.

Pulling away from his musing, Ebonar addressed the Nightmaster once more. "The funds you need will be delivered to you, immediately. All bow before the altar and pledge their lives to the Lord of Murder, I trust?"

The Nightmaster replied, "It is as you instructed, upon facilitating the rebirth of the guild. A portion of the payment for each mark is offered to Lord Blorcasir as well."

"Such is actually unimportant," Ebonar remarked, and then took a sip of his wine. "As surrender of coin seems to be a fundamental part of any religion, I suppose the traditional forms should be observed. Maintain the coin, and use it as payment, when the guild requires someone's death, as opposed to a client."

"It shall be so," the Nightmaster responded.

"How long will it take to construct the headquarters of the guild in the capital?" Ebonar asked.

"A perfect location has been found, and work can begin immediately. With the aid of wizards, we should be able to occupy it within the month."

"Excellent," Ebonar said, rising from his chair. "I shall take my leave and arrange for the coin to be delivered to you. Train Eris well. I believe you will find him to have a natural aptitude for your occupation."

"It shall be so," the Nightmaster responded again.

Ebonar offered a bored wave, and turned to leave the room. Before exiting the labyrinth lair of the guild, he entered the cavern where the altar of Blorcasir, the Lord of Murder, was enshrined. Drawing near, Ebonar could feel the god's power within the stones.

Your desire has become reality, Blorcasir. The Guild of Death is reborn. Unfortunately, the revival of your power does not serve you. Soon enough, the guild, and your power, will help set fire to this world.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Danica finished her tale, having briefly described the circumstances that had brought the other women in contact with her. "There's a lot more to it than that, of course. As long as that took, that's the abbreviated version. I barely touched on the nightmares Andrea, Celes, and Marlena have been through."

"We've all been through so much," Ashley agreed. "My own story is simple, and very similar to Celes'. My mother was killed by Rexxus, the demon that attacked me in the desert. I was only twelve at the time, and my mother used her magic to send me away, to keep me safe. She didn't know it, but the spell sent me directly to Edna. I vowed to use my powers to destroy every demon I could, and that I would personally send Rexxus into the void."

"I renounced my powers, while you embraced them," Celes remarked. "I often wonder what might have happened if I'd taken your path. I'd certainly know more about being a witch, by now."

"I didn't even know about my powers. I used them without knowing it, but I never knew I had them," Andrea interjected. "From what I've read, I always had my powers, so why didn't I discover them sooner?"

Edna's voice arose from the doorway, "Odds are, your mother bound your powers, for some reason. She must have placed a condition on the binding, so that your powers would slowly emerge if anything ever happened to her."

Crossing the room, Edna sat down amidst the rest of the women, breathing a sigh of relief. "Those girls are hard for an old woman to keep up with. They're sweet girls, though. They seem to be taking a liking to me. I put them all to bed. Considering how wan you all look, you should probably seek your beds as well."

Ashley chuckled, "We may as well just go to bed. This is another of those arguments you can't win."

"The three of you will need your rest, because I want you to unbind my powers tomorrow," Edna declared.

Ashley asked, "Is that a good idea? Won't that attract the attention of demons? You bound your powers for a reason."

"It won't be a problem, here," Edna replied.

With a mixture of concern and confusion on her face, Ashley asked, "Why is that?"

Danica and Edna both replied in unison, "All in due time." They laughed, watching Ashley's confusion spread to the rest of the women.

"This came up earlier when Edna and I were talking," Danica explained. "Now, what are we going to do about sleeping arrangements?"

"I nearly dozed off on one of the couches in the girls' wing earlier. It's more comfortable than my bed. I'll sleep there for tonight, if you have blankets and pillows to spare. That way, I'll be right there when the girls awaken."

Danica shrugged and said, "If you're sure you wouldn't prefer a bed..."

"The couch is perfectly fine," Edna responded. "I'll be lucky if I can drag myself out of it in the morning. It really is quite comfortable."

Celes spoke up, "That's one. Should we draw straws, to see who gives Ashley their bed tonight?"

A rush of thoughts and emotions assaulted Danica from Marlena. Danica noticed Edna flinch a little, and assumed that the witch must have felt it too. Danica sent her thoughts to the illusionist, If that wave of naughty thoughts that just slammed into me is any indication, you don't really want to sleep in your own bed tonight, do you?

Marlena blushed, thinking back to Danica, I'll never get used to that, but you're right. I can't get Brandon out of my head. I've been wet all day.

Just offer up your bed, Danica mentally suggested, I'll take you there, and I'll keep it quiet for now. They're going to find out, of course.

That's okay. I just don't like being teased beforehand, it distracts me and makes it hard to... Marlena broke off her thought, her blush deepening.

Danica fought hard to keep from chuckling aloud, or through the mental link to Marlena. I understand. You don't need to explain any further.

"Ashley can have my bed," Marlena said aloud.

"I don't want to put you out," Ashley insisted.

"You won't be," Marlena replied, offering a bright smile.

"That's that, then. To bed -- the lot of you!" Edna said, slapping her hand on a table and standing up.

Catching a thought from Edna, Danica chuckled and said, "Yes, Gran." It was what Ashley called Edna when they were alone, and Edna was quite fond of the term of endearment.

Waving her finger at Danica approvingly, Edna laughed, "Now there's a good girl!"

"We really do need our rest," Danica remarked. "I'm not about to leave demons lurking around out there, threatening elves. We need to figure out how to fight them, and get rid of them."

Somber nods of agreement from the women acknowledged that statement, as everyone stood to go to their beds.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

With Ashley and Edna both assisting, the morning meal proved to be a simple chore. The two witches meshed in perfectly, taking on tasks they were best suited to. With so much capable assistance on hand, Danica planned a lavish meal, and everything was ready before the girls awakened, for the first time in a long time.

Everyone naturally noticed Marlena's absence, and Danica explained that she planned to fetch the illusionist after breakfast. They all shared a chuckle when Celes guessed where Danica would be fetching the redhead from.

After a hearty meal of sausage, eggs, toast with jam, and hash brown potatoes, even the girls were reluctant to get up from the table. Their still-young minds soon overrode their full bellies, and they filed out of the room to play.

Darkniciad
Darkniciad
1,270 Followers