Sisters of the Mists Ch. 13

Story Info
Catching Andrea's eye. Goblins don't fare as well as Mache.
12.7k words
4.87
20.3k
5

Part 13 of the 20 part series

Updated 11/27/2022
Created 07/08/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Darkniciad
Darkniciad
1,262 Followers

Author's Notes:

This story is erotic fantasy, set in a world of magic. I reserve the right to be listed as the author of this work wherever it is posted. If found anywhere except Literotica.com with this note attached, this story is posted without my permission.

© Darkniciad 2007

The villains in this story are truly evil, and their actions prove it. Some scenes may be disturbing for some readers.

I make use of modern weights and measures quite often in my work, because those are the weights and measures of my fantasy world. I know many fantasy readers prefer more archaic terms, and I hope those readers can overlook my use of miles, feet, and other such measures.

Please note that the form of witchcraft in my world is not meant to be true Wicca. Nor is it supposed to follow "Charmed" exactly. No offence or confusion is intended.

I've made a change in this chapter that will continue from this point forward. Telepathic communication will now be in italics, and also set off by single quotes in order to distinguish it from normal thoughts.

You should read the preceding chapters of this story in order to know the characters and what is going on. You will find that reading Book I of this story, Danica, will give you a lot of insight into the characters and the continuing storyline.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

"Naturally, he'd remember the most about the female," Celes said with a roll of her eyes after reviewing Danica's transcription of everything she could remember.

Sitting in the comfortable confines of the manor's massive study, Danica and her friends contemplated what to do next. Copies of Danica's notes lay upon the large oaken table at the center of the study, bathed in the subdued light of the magical globes dotting the ceiling above.

The two days of rest had done wonders for the physical maladies of the battle with Mache, but all five women still felt the sting of having failed to defeat the demon.

Ashley smoothed back her hair, the shorter length still unfamiliar and slightly uncomfortable. "It's enough to prepare us far better to face her than what we knew about Mache."

Danica sympathized with Ashley's nervous gesture, as she struggled to acclimate to her own shorter hair as well. "And we have a general idea about the others, too. Thanatos concerns me the most. Mache felt cautious of that sibling, and it can't be a good thing for a demon that powerful to have reason for concern."

Ashley nodded in agreement. "I think we should return to our plan to capture one of the minor demons. There are some spells that only work on living demons."

"We can always try to work our way up the ranks from the bottom," Danica suggested. "I might be able to pick a minor demon's leader from its head, and then do the same with that one."

"At least one of us needs to pop out for some stores," Celes reminded Danica.

Danica sat back in her chair and quickly skimmed over the inventory of things running low. "Probably to Fightershaven. Some of the things Andrea isn't growing here yet, that you use in your witchcraft, are only used for darker magic of the Art, and they'll be easier to find there."

"I'll go," Andrea offered, perking up for the first time since sitting down at the table.

Danica could feel a wave of excitement washing toward her from the blonde, one that had swelled over a wall of cabin fever upon mention of a trip outside the manor. The young woman obviously needed some time away, and Blackhawk Hall was as safe a place as any. Besides the magical defenses crafted and tested over numerous years, the city now held numerous powerful clerics of Heraklan, provided to Mindblind by his half-brother, Vladamir, who headed the order in Egoria.

'Should one of us go with her?' Celes thought to Danica.

'I think she'll be fine, and she needs to get out, but I imagine Marlena would like to go along anyway,' Danica thought back.

Danica's mental words carried with them impressions of Marlena and Brandon, and Celes nearly chuckled out loud instead of through the telepathic link. 'I hadn't thought about that.'

"Marlena knows the pattern, so she can take you, Andrea." The grin that broke out on Marlena's face told Danica that she was right.

"Ashley and I can take care of finding a demon to snare and getting ready. Andrea can skip all the tedious part and just learn the spell chant before we leave," Celes said with a nod of her head.

"I really need to concentrate on Ashley's cottage, so everyone knows where they can find me," Danica said, gesturing toward her favorite worktable, where the finished cottage sat awaiting enchantment.

"I need to put a few more things on the list before you go," Ashley interjected.

"I'll go fetch the coin," Marlena said, her eagerness to see Brandon at Blackhawk Hall becoming more evident by the second.

Andrea hopped up and said, "I'm going to go change."

"May as well send along some money for them to get some new clothes and such. We could all probably do with a shopping trip soon," Celes suggested.

"I'll catch Marlena," Ashley laughed.

"Mind giving me a hand gathering up my spell components?" Danica asked, batting her eyelashes at the dark-haired witch.

Celes rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Come along then," she chuckled.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Danica sat back with a thankful sigh, half of the preparatory spells she needed to cast over Ashley's cottage now in place. The smell of lunch cooking in the kitchen let her know that it was nearly midday, but not quite. She'd completed the spells in near record time. With any luck, she might be able to weave the other half of the spells in the evening, and then bring the cottage to life the next day.

Glancing across the room at Celes and Ashley, Danica saw the two witches continuing their observation of the demon they'd chosen to capture. Ashley was already concerned because the hellspawn was convincingly disguised as a human — if a dim-witted one — when such should have been far beyond its power. Fortunately, the creature's unusual abilities did not appear to include the power to detect Ashley's skillful scrying, enabling the two witches to continuously observe it throughout the morning.

A mental chime announced the arrival of something in the message bowl, bringing a smile to Danica's lips. She scooted back her chair and grinned when the two witches sharing the study didn't even notice her rising. Stepping around the table, she crossed the stone-tiled floor of the lab, passed around the edge of the common room on the carpeted pathway, and nudged her partially open door with a flick of her telekinetic power. Upon seeing the box in the message bowl with the letter, she knew it was from Damian.

Danica read the letter, which was mostly details of the ring in the box, but also included some personal correspondence and observations of the efforts to counter Zoraster and the demons. He also noted that Darkniciad planned to send a more detailed summary of the ongoing work in the near future.

Danica couldn't resist opening the stunningly beautiful box, crafted of cedar. Within, a velvet cushion supported the ring for Edna. The band was formed of intertwined silver and gold, supporting a stone of aquamarine. Damian had chosen a fluted, heart-shaped cut, the likes of which Danica had never seen before. The stone was a deep, sea blue, the flutes looking almost like waves breaking over the sparkling surface.

More important than the beauty of the ring, it housed the same protective magic that defended Danica and her friends. While everything that they'd learned indicated that the valley would let none accost them, and Edna had little desire to leave, Danica knew she would feel better once the elder witch wore the ring.

Danica's lips twitched up into a smile as it occurred to her that there was one other thing that everyone else had that Edna didn't. She closed the ring box and sat it down on the table, crossing to her desk that she used when she felt the need for solitude in her work. Pulling out a sheet of paper and a pen, she turned her thoughts to the perfect toy for Edna.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

"Oh, I ate too much," Andrea groaned as she stepped out into the busy street.

With much of the shopping for necessities done and the supplies on the way to Blackhawk Hall, Marlena had suggested a stop for something to eat before finishing up. She and Andrea could then turn their attention to the much more pleasurable task of shopping for themselves.

"I warned you," Marlena cajoled her with a playful smile.

Andrea stuck out her tongue for a second and responded, "I couldn't help it. It was so good, and it's so hard to resist when people are serving you."

Marlena rolled her eyes and sighed, "Country girl."

As if the good-natured teasing wouldn't have done so anyway, hearing it from the usually reserved Marlena cheered Andrea. She'd worried that the illusionist might put a damper on her much needed excursion, and she was pleased to find otherwise.

She had a strong suspicion that Brandon coming off duty in a few hours had a great deal to do with that.

Marlena grabbed the blonde witch's arm and pulled her back a half step just as someone charged down the street, running from a pair of shouting men in leather armor. Quietly, Marlena mouthed the words of a spell as her fingers flew through the gestures. The fleeing thief dug in his heels and tried to stop when an ogre suddenly appeared directly in his path. When he fell unceremoniously to the ground, the two guardsmen quickly grabbed him with a laugh.

"Why did he just stop like that and fall down?" Andrea asked with a laugh, shaking her head as the thief looked around in confusion and his pursuers hauled him to his feet.

"He thought he saw an ogre," Marlena explained, wiggling her fingers.

"Oh, that's too wonderful." Andrea laughed again. She looked down the street and said, "Look."

Marlena followed the blonde's gaze and saw a woman stomping down the street toward the soldiers and the thief. One of the soldiers handed her a leather purse, and the woman promptly slapped the thief hard across the mouth. She then held her hand up in front of her with a look of disgust, and promptly punched the man in the nose. He went limp in his captor's arms.

The guardsmen were both wiping tears of laughter from their eyes as one of them prevented the victimized woman from kicking the downed thief and the other dragged him farther away.

"It's a lot different here from the capital," Andrea remarked, still chuckling.

"Fightershaven is not a place for the unwary," Marlena agreed. "There's not so much law and order here as a carefully balanced chaos. Let's finish the shopping, and then you can help me pick out something new — maybe something a little more daring than I'm used to."

Andrea grinned, happy with yet another sign that Marlena was coming out of her shell. "Okay."

"I think I saw an herbalist down the street as we were headed this way. We'll try there."

Andrea nodded and fell into step with the illusionist, taking in the contrast between Fightershaven and what she'd observed in the only other large city she'd ever visited, the capital city of Egoria.

Here, more wore armor than walked the street in normal clothing. Weapons of various sorts were in evidence everywhere, even on the belts of children barely more than toddlers. While the streets and buildings certainly weren't the masterpieces of architecture common to the city center of Egoria, everything was well maintained and solid.

Blackhawk Hall didn't have a district of the rich and powerful surrounding it like Boldheart Castle. Instead, the closest building was a brothel. As Marlena had suggested, a subtle undercurrent of chaos permeated everything. People jostled each other as they walked, and the sound of voices raised in anger was far from uncommon. Voices raised in laughter and drunken song were equally evident, however.

As she and Marlena neared the herbalist's shop, Andrea saw a pair of men, stripped to the waist, engaged in a wrestling match across the street. The small green space would have been called a park, if it hadn't been allowed to grow as it wished. Several other people stood around the two men, cheering them on. More arrived by the moment. Both men were well muscled and attractive, catching Andrea's eye.

"Watch it!"

Andrea snapped her gaze back in front of her, just in time to collide with a young man walking the opposite way. "Oh — I'm sorry," she apologized, and suddenly her eyes locked with his. His eyes were a startling blue, and the rest of him was no less heart-stopping.

Marlena's eyebrows twitched up as she recovered from her start, having not noticed the young man either in glancing at the wrestling match. She certainly noticed him now, staring back at Andrea just as hard as she was staring at him. Marlena feigned a cough, and saw them both blink at the same time.

"It's all right," the young man said with a shrug as he stepped off to the side of the cobblestone road. He hesitated for a moment before continuing on his way.

Marlena couldn't help but chuckle when both Andrea and the young man turned to look at each other at the same time. Both turned away just as rapidly when they realized the other had noticed.

"Handsome, isn't he?"

Andrea's cheeks filled with color and she giggled. "Yes." She looked back over her shoulder for a second and sighed. She took a step toward the herbalist's shop, which they'd nearly reached, but paused when Marlena held up a hand.

With a wide grin, Marlena leaned in close and whispered, "You might want to wait a minute or two. You probably should have worn your brassiere today."

Andrea glanced down to see her stiff nipples tenting the cloth of her blouse in a rather prominent fashion. "Oh my," she gasped in embarrassment, and hunched her shoulders forward to cause the blouse to hang away from her body.

Marlena peeked into the shop and said, "It looks like the herbalist is a woman, so you should be all right." She took the blonde witch's hand and led the blushing woman inside, doing her best not to laugh, and yet knowing she would probably look just as foolish the moment she saw Brandon.

She quickly shook that thought out of her head before she ended up in the same condition as her young friend.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Danica finished her sketch with a final flourish, pleased with her design. Edna's disability and age presented a unique challenge, and Danica believed that what she planned to make addressed those needs well.

Danica tucked away the sheets of paper into a desk drawer, picked up a letter from her sister, and then left her room, returning to the study. She found Celes and Ashley sitting with the raven-haired witch's family tome open before them.

"What have you been about?" Celes asked with a crooked grin.

"Nothing," Danica answered with a sweet smile. Celes shook her head, knowing all too well that she'd wring no information from her friend. Danica took a seat across from the two women and asked, "I take it that you've found something?"

"Ashley managed to penetrate its disguise, so we know exactly what we're dealing with," Celes explained, turning the book toward Danica.

Danica read the entry on the Ladroth demon, which fed upon a very specific type of fear — the fear of financial distress. The illustration at the top of the page showed a jet-black demon that closely resembled an imp, if larger in stature. The beautiful, flowing script detailed a breed of demon possessed the ability to amplify the fears it fed upon, and to blend in with its surroundings so well that it might appear invisible while remaining still. The creatures were also known to have inborn skills that would put many pickpockets and burglars to shame. A notation in a different hand at the end of the entry mentioned that the demons were hated by other demons because they served as spies in the hells.

When Danica looked up from the book, Celes continued, "This one is growing fat and lazy off a merchant that's fallen on dire straits. We've also noticed that its ability to hide in plain sight doesn't work so well in the human form somebody has given it."

"Combine that with a very specific spell to capture it, and it's a good choice," Ashley added. "With the three of us blessing the crystals, we could probably keep it imprisoned until the end of time."

Celes tapped her finger on the polished surface of the table and said, "We're hoping the critter has been spying on the other demons."

"That would be nice, if we can wring anything out of it," Danica agreed. She laid the letter from her sister on the table and said, "The news from Devan isn't as good, I'm afraid. Nobody can manage to scry into Nightmare Castle — even Darkni. Egoria's troops are bolstering Normandal's forces against the goblins, but the ugly things are boiling out of the forests like ants. So far the combined armies are holding, but Thakkor may have to send more troops and wizards before long."

Edna walked up to the table and said, "More confirmation that Meckataur has opened a doorway to the hells. Scrying is one of a witch's most powerful allies, and the hells distort any attempt to do so."

"So you think it's working against wizard magic, too?" Danica asked.

"Magic is magic," Edna said with a wink. "When you get right down to it, everything from a priest's answered prayer to a wizard's thunderbolt comes from the same place, the energy of creation."

Danica smiled and said, "I see you're wearing your ring."

Edna laughed and admired the ring. "I wouldn't take it off even if it weren't magic. You sent my note of thanks?"

"Of course, but knowing it's on your finger is all the thanks Damian wants."

Edna gestured toward the note. "That's all part of it too. Meckataur is powerful, but without the chaos this Zoraster and his people have sown in the world, he could have never breached the hells. He feeds on the madness to grow stronger."

"And Ebonar takes advantage of the demons." Celes threw up a hand and let out a disgusted snort to illustrate her frustration.

"So we step on their toes every chance we get," Danica countered. "I think we should try to work out a way to get the Forge out from under Ebonar's thumb. We already have a good argument to stand on after Mache."

Celes shrugged. "Not a bad idea. Damn sure that a lot of the leaders on the other side came out of the Forge. The whole of the Western Baronies respects the Commander, too."

"Later, though. Work on capturing your demon. I think the demons are the more dangerous threat right now." Danica stood and stretched her back. "I'm going to finish the last of the preparatory enchantments on Ashley's cottage."

Celes concentrated for a moment and teleported a pen from her worktable into her hand. "Here's to hoping it doesn't have any powers we don't know about."

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

A ball of black, crackling evil energy leapt from Camilla's palm to strike the demon. The creature exploded with a scream, and Camilla shuddered as she felt its power surge into her. She extended her finger, and a single drop of acid fell to hiss on the cracked stone floor below.

"Enough. Let her steal her power from witches, now," Meckataur growled, the echoing sound dislodging a shower of dust from the ceiling high above.

Camilla could feel the power of the six demons she'd vanquished roiling within her. Though only minor creatures in disfavor because they maintained loyalty to another Devil still within the hells, their combined powers would serve the new black witch well. Though she wished to test her new powers against Danica, the thought of destroying disgustingly pure witches was hardly unwelcome.

"A grimoire would greatly increase her usefulness, my Lord and Evil Master." Rexxus spoke carefully, knowing that the Devil's patience with him was wearing thin. "Your gain might be two-fold, as well."

Darkniciad
Darkniciad
1,262 Followers